Author Topic: Your Thoughts & Reactions from Academy Awards  (Read 82996 times)

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Your Thoughts & Reactions from Academy Awards
« Reply #240 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:16 PM »
What's going on?  Is there an awards ceremony coming up soon? Who gives a rat's? I aint watching it this year!

Remember last year...for weeks we were all excited, this year I just can't be bothered.
Actually, "life does get better than this"

roconner

« Reply #241 on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:06 PM »
What's going on?  Is there an awards ceremony coming up soon? Who gives a rat's? I aint watching it this year!

Remember last year...for weeks we were all excited, this year I just can't be bothered.

I won't be watching either.

I think their ploy of choosing Ellen to host and entice gay people to watch is pathetic!

Offline JT

• Jack + Ennis
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
« Reply #242 on: Mar 16, 2007, 10:46 PM »
Academy Awards??  I'm sorry but WHO CARES!!!   >:(

I'm not ready to make nice
I'm not ready to back down
Still mad as hell....

The Dixie Chicks
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2007, 10:03 PM by JT »

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #243 on: Mar 16, 2007, 11:22 PM »
They're a dead cause for me...

They're dead for good... The Departed best movie last year?  It's not even Martin's Scorcese best movie and he should have been awarded ages before. ::)

I plan another BBM watch for next next years Oscar's, who's in?

La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline KitKat

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #244 on: Mar 18, 2007, 10:10 PM »

I plan another BBM watch for next next years Oscar's, who's in?

Works for me  ;)

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
« Reply #245 on: Oct 22, 2008, 12:07 PM »
a little bit out of time... but what amazes me most is that still people talk about BBM, discuss issues, even the oscars ... i thought i posted this..

from today's afterelton.com..
you can ask a question concering anything remotely artistic (films, books, TV etc..) and the "monkey" searches for answers or gives his opinion..

so here we go today:

by Brent Hartinger
October 21, 2008

Q: I wanted to discuss the controversy surrounding Brokeback Mountain not being named Best Picture at the Oscars for 2005. I have to say that Crash involved me more than Brokeback did. I know Roger Ebert thought Crash won because it truly was the best film of the year, and that it was made inside the Hollywood system (while Brokeback was filmed in Canada). Does the support of Brokeback come from the fact that everyone TRULY believed it was the best film of 2005, or because it was a film that showed gay men in a positive light? If it’s the latter, why didn’t everyone also show the same enthusiasm/support at the box office for Capote? -- Keith, Arlington, VA

A:
Well!

Yes, in the Monkey’s personal opinion, Brokeback Mountain truly was the best film of the year (though it didn’t necessarily show gay men in an entirely positive light since both characters were cheating on their wives). Crash seemed to the Monkey to be a fine, but completely unremarkable movie.

Brokeback's Heath Ledger & Jake Gyllenhaal (left); PICTURES
Crash's Thandie Newton & Matt Dillon

But you’re right: Roger Ebert definitely preferred Crash to Brokeback Mountain. He campaigned relentlessly for Crash to win the Oscar, and when it did, he championed it in AfterElton.com’s post-Oscar interview with him. It sounds like you liked Crash better too. That is absolutely your, and Roger Ebert’s, right. But it also isn’t the point.

Brokeback Mountain was the undisputed front-runner for the Best Picture award. All of the usual indicators suggested a virtual Oscar lock. Under many formulations, it is the most honored movie in film history. None of this was remotely true for Capote (or Crash, for that matter, which was usually not even nominated for most of the other critical awards that Brokeback Mountain won). According to Premiere Magazine’s annual ranking, Brokeback Mountain was the best-reviewed movie of the year; Crash was the 36th best-reviewed movie of the year.

And yet Brokeback Mountain didn’t win the Oscar. Why not? Was it because the Academy voters just didn’t like it as much as Crash, or because it was filmed in Canada? It’s one possible explanation. But keep in mind the context: Brokeback was an enormously controversial movie, subject to six months of tasteless, boorish jokes from late-night comedians. Right-wing pundits waged a relentless, blistering campaign to try to paint the movie as evidence that Hollywood had a “radical homosexual” agenda.

Is it crazy to assume that this might have contributed to the biggest upset in Oscar history? We can’t ever know for sure, but it seems pretty likely to the Monkey.

Here’s the Monkey’s take: it probably wasn’t the case that Oscar voters were themselves homophobic (though some of them surely were; many were on record as saying they wouldn’t even see the film). The Monkey thinks the issue was that Oscar voters, mostly Hollywood insiders, were scared that giving Brokeback Mountain the top award would reinforce the notion that the movie industry had a “liberal” agenda — and that that might affect
their bottom line. [/color]
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #246 on: Oct 22, 2008, 01:42 PM »
Well of course I agree that BBM was and is the best movie. And anyone who voted for that other movie out of fear should be ashamed of themselves. Not everyone likes BBM, their loss, but I'd never sell out to save face. What's done is done and that other movie can have it's false victory because it's not as lasting and doesn't resonate as much- BBM has staying power and changed lives and that's worth more than any ill gotten statue.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #247 on: Oct 22, 2008, 04:13 PM »
BBM has staying power and changed lives and that's worth more than any ill gotten statue

I could only agree on this!
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

babytammy7

« Reply #248 on: Oct 22, 2008, 04:56 PM »
Here’s the Monkey’s take: it probably wasn’t the case that Oscar voters were themselves homophobic (though some of them surely were; many were on record as saying they wouldn’t even see the film). 

This makes me so sad....How can you know what the best film is if you don't even watch the films?  :-\\ :-\\ :-\\  **sigh** I think film Academies should have members who are artists, writers, professional cinema critics, and not only rich or famous or powerful people...you know....like the ones who said after the Oscars that they voted for Crash because they were friends with one of the actress who played in the film, and that they never saw BBM....

How people can be this ignorant?

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #249 on: Oct 23, 2008, 11:26 AM »
Well of course I agree that BBM was and is the best movie. And anyone who voted for that other movie out of fear should be ashamed of themselves. Not everyone likes BBM, their loss, but I'd never sell out to save face. What's done is done and that other movie can have it's false victory because it's not as lasting and doesn't resonate as much- BBM has staying power and changed lives and that's worth more than any ill gotten statue.

You're so right,Michelle¡ ^f^  Of course,the power of changing so many persons lives and still remaining as a classical of our time is what really matters.However,we must bear in mind that an Oscar is an adknowledge of a good work;for this reason,is really sad that such a masterpiece didn't win this adknowledge for being "politically incorrect".
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.