Author Topic: Post-Oscar news coverage  (Read 76212 times)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Post-Oscar news coverage
« Reply #180 on: Mar 20, 2006, 09:31 AM »
Thanks for that article tpe!
made my day haha!

We should write to him and express our agreement and thanks...
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2006, 01:59 PM by tpe »

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #181 on: Mar 20, 2006, 12:22 PM »
Thanks for posting the article. Now Crash will be remembered not the Best Picture but the Best Picture that gives Oscar the bad name. LOL. I love it. No sour grape here. The merits of Brokeback Mountain speak for itself.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #182 on: Mar 21, 2006, 08:17 AM »
From: http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/article/20030605.php

----------------------------------------------

About Last Night...   
Posted by: Alex McAfee
Source: THN
Date: March 20th, 2006

Oscars...

The Academy Awards have come and gone. It seems that after all the build up, more should linger about the world famous ceremony besides what Charlize Theron was wearing. Alas, I think that her horrible dress and the surprise Oscar awarded to the movie "Crash" will be all that will linger. "Brokeback Mountain" seemed absolutely certain to take the award, considering the accolades that it had already accrued. But, "Crash"! Literally and figuratively, the Oscar was given to another movie that built its momentum by bombarding the Academy members with DVD's.

The strategy worked, just as Miramax did with "Shakespeare in Love" over "Saving Private Ryan". Now there is a new debate, should "Crash" have won? I have heard opinions from many people and read many dissertations and still I can't say who's right. The opinion that the gays were slapped in the face by the upset is relevant, depending on who one speaks with. I loved the movie for its quiet but sweeping beauty and tragedy that unites us all. The love story was character driven and truthful, not at all manipulative. There was a depth that flowed throughout the film that hasn't been seen in a Hollywood film in ages. "Crash" was provocative and explosive in its view of present day race relations in Los Angeles.

Personally, I thought that because of its unflattering showing of Los Angeles, I had predicted that the city of vanity on its night of nights would never vote the film as a representation of itself. I feel that they are all patting themselves on the back saying, "we did something important" while not seeing that the portrayal was all about the vacant surface of unconscious living. In reality, they wish that they could solve their problems as such in the film and still come out as unscathed and pretty as the characters in the film. However to do that, they would have to recognize that there are problems.

I liked "Crash" also, but thought that it was rather contrived. Now I have heard the argument, from gays and straights alike, that "Crash" was actually the better film. I disagree, while able to excite viewers with rage and a little hope, it is not the kind of film that I would want to see again and again. I will own "Brokeback Mountain" and I am sure that I will find subtleties in each viewing that I did not see before. The film does not beat one over the head with the obvious.

Now if there were another film in the pack that I think deserve to win besides "Brokeback" it would have been the thoughtful and truth-based "Munich". Now that film was highly overlooked in my opinion. That was the sort of film that drives me to do more research to find out more facts behind the movie. Eric Bana, like the director he once worked, is a treasure of believability and accents, which transcends all genres. His day will come. Until then, my opinion will probably be the last you will hear about the Oscars this year.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Oscar, I Can Quit You
« Reply #183 on: Mar 21, 2006, 08:48 AM »
From: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/19/movies/19broke.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1142798627-mjzzLfysffZD6gLbdWXofw

------------------------------------------

Oscar, I Can Quit You
Published: March 19, 2006

Many "Brokeback Mountain" fans were disappointed when the Academy Award for best picture went to "Crash" instead. Some moped. Some swore. A great many lost money. One fan did more than mourn: he organized. At left, excerpts from a manifesto circulating on the Internet.

A 'Brokeback'-Inspired Boycott:

To the barricades, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender cinephiles! You have nothing to lose but your statuettes — and lavish gift bags, of course.

I sent Daniel the following letter today:

Greetings Daniel,

I saw your 'manifesto in last Sunday's New York Times.

Whether you succeed or fail in your endeavor to get people organized as to the indecent slap the 2006 Oscars has proven to be, I think you have already accomplished something by voicing out your anger and disappointment so publicly.

Know that many share your anger and disappointment.

Let it be a consolation to all of us that 'Brokeback Mountain' will not go away.  We will all be there to make sure it lives forever.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #184 on: Mar 21, 2006, 03:41 PM »
Thanks for that article tpe!
made my day haha!

Same here!!!

"Crash" (2005). This jeremiad bemoaning our society's intolerance is filtered through a fanciful plot built on a heap of outlandish coincidences. Can you really imagine audiences in another decade or two giving this movie, which somehow combines grandiosity and whimsical eccentricity, any more respect than they give "Rocky" or "The Greatest Show on Earth" today? Like all of these prize-winning embarrassments, "Crash" is destined to be remembered as just one more footnote in the annals of Oscar blunders.
LOL
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline The Ultimate Otaku

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #185 on: Apr 13, 2006, 03:54 PM »
Here is an article, I BELIEVE written by Proulx, concerning "Crash" winning Best Picture instead of BBM.

Commentary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood on the red carpet

Annie Proulx on how her Brokeback Oscar hopes were dashed by Crash

Saturday March 11, 2006
The Guardian

Ain't no Mountain high enough ... Ang Lee with his Oscar for best director. Photograph: Kevork Djansezian/AP. More photographs

On the sidewalk stood hordes of the righteous, some leaning forward like wind-bent grasses, the better to deliver their imprecations against gays and fags to the open windows of the limos - the windows open by order of the security people - creeping toward the Kodak Theater for the 78th Academy Awards. Others held up sturdy, professionally crafted signs expressing the same hatred.
The red carpet in front of the theatre was larger than the Red Sea. Inside, we climbed grand staircases designed for showing off dresses. The circular levels filled with men in black, the women mostly in pale, frothy gowns. Sequins, diamonds, glass beads, trade beads sparkled like the interior of a salt mine. More exquisite dresses appeared every moment, some made from six yards of taffeta, and many with sweeping trains that demanded vigilance from strolling attendees lest they step on a mermaid's tail. There was one man in a kilt - there is always one at award ceremonies - perhaps a professional roving Scot hired to give colour to the otherwise monotone showing of clustered males. Larry McMurtry defied the dress code by wearing his usual jeans and cowboy boots.

The people connected with Brokeback Mountain, including me, hoped that, having been nominated for eight Academy awards, it would get Best Picture as it had at the funny, lively Independent Spirit awards the day before. (If you are looking for smart judging based on merit, skip the Academy Awards next year and pay attention to the Independent Spirit choices.) We should have known conservative heffalump academy voters would have rather different ideas of what was stirring contemporary culture. Roughly 6,000 film industry voters, most in the Los Angeles area, many living cloistered lives behind wrought-iron gates or in deluxe rest-homes, out of touch not only with the shifting larger culture and the yeasty ferment that is America these days, but also out of touch with their own segregated city, decide which films are good. And rumour has it that Lions Gate inundated the academy voters with DVD copies of Trash - excuse me - Crash a few weeks before the ballot deadline. Next year we can look to the awards for controversial themes on the punishment of adulterers with a branding iron in the shape of the letter A, runaway slaves, and the debate over free silver.
After a good deal of standing around admiring dresses and sucking up champagne, people obeyed the stentorian countdown commands to get in their seats as "the show" was about to begin. There were orders to clap and the audience obediently clapped. From the first there was an atmosphere of insufferable self-importance emanating from "the show" which, as the audience was reminded several times, was televised and being watched by billions of people all over the world. Those lucky watchers could get up any time they wished and do something worthwhile, like go to the bathroom. As in everything related to public extravaganzas, a certain soda pop figured prominently. There were montages, artfully meshed clips of films of yesteryear, live acts by Famous Talent, smart-ass jokes by Jon Stewart who was witty and quick, too witty, too quick, too eastern perhaps for the somewhat dim LA crowd. Both beautiful and household-name movie stars announced various prizes. None of the acting awards came Brokeback's way, you betcha. The prize, as expected, went to Philip Seymour Hoff-man for his brilliant portrayal of Capote, but in the months preceding the awards thing, there has been little discussion of acting styles and various approaches to character development by this year's nominees. Hollywood loves mimicry, the conversion of a film actor into the spittin' image of a once-living celeb. But which takes more skill, acting a person who strolled the boulevard a few decades ago and who left behind tapes, film, photographs, voice recordings and friends with strong memories, or the construction of characters from imagination and a few cold words on the page? I don't know. The subject never comes up. Cheers to David Strathairn, Joaquin Phoenix and Hoffman, but what about actors who start in the dark?

Everyone thanked their dear old mums, scout troop leaders, kids and consorts. More commercials, more quick wit, more clapping, beads of sweat, Stewart maybe wondering what evil star had lighted his way to this labour. Despite the technical expertise and flawlessly sleek set evocative of 1930s musicals, despite Dolly Parton whooping it up and Itzhak Perlman blending all the theme music into a single performance (he represented "culchah"), there was a kind of provincial flavour to the proceedings reminiscent of a small-town talent-show night. Clapping wildly for bad stuff enhances this. There came an atrocious act from Hustle and Flow, Three 6 Mafia's violent rendition of "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp", a favourite with the audience who knew what it knew and liked. This was a big winner, a bushel of the magic gold-coated gelded godlings going to the rap group.

The hours sped by on wings of boiler plate. Brokeback's first award was to Argentinean Gustavo Santaolalla for the film's plangent and evocative score. Later came the expected award for screenplay adaptation to Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry, and only a short time later the director's award to Ang Lee. And that was it, three awards, putting it on equal footing with King Kong. When Jack Nicholson said best picture went to Crash, there was a gasp of shock, and then applause from many - the choice was a hit with the home team since the film is set in Los Angeles. It was a safe pick of "controversial film" for the heffalumps.

After three-and-a-half hours of butt-numbing sitting we stumbled away, down the magnificent staircases, and across the red carpet. In the distance men were shouting out limousine numbers, "406 . . . 27 . . . 921 . . . 62" and it seemed someone should yell "Bingo!" It was now dark, or as dark as it gets in the City of Angels. As we waited for our number to be called we could see the enormous lighted marquee across the street announcing that the "2006 Academy Award for Best Picture had gone to Crash". The red carpet now had taken on a different hue, a purple tinge.

The source of the colour was not far away. Down the street, spreading its baleful light everywhere, hung a gigantic, vertical, electric-blue neon sign spelling out S C I E N T O L O G Y.

"Seven oh six," bawled the limo announcer's voice. Bingo.

For those who call this little piece a Sour Grapes Rant, play it as it lays.

The reason I think it iwas writte by Proulx was because:
1) the thing on top mentioning her name
2) whoever wrote this was there
3)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brokeback_Mountain#Roman_Catholic_Church 
If you scroll down to #33 it quotes her having said that bitin the article about the Award choosers.

It's an interesting article. What do you all think?
BBM rocks my socks!   :3

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #186 on: Apr 13, 2006, 09:15 PM »
Here is an article, I BELIEVE written by Proulx, concerning "Crash" winning Best Picture instead of BBM.

... SNIP for brevity ...

It's an interesting article. What do you all think?

Yes, it is a very interesting article.  She is so correct also.  Thank you for providing it to us.

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline malawix

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #187 on: Jun 08, 2006, 07:53 AM »
Did anyone see this before?

I found it on the net after the Oscar. Too bad I do not remember in what site.  :-\\
«Though you are far away | I am with you in every way | Close your eyes and you will see...»

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #188 on: Jun 08, 2006, 03:06 PM »

I found it on the net after the Oscar. Too bad I do not remember in what site.  :-\\

I saw this on IMDb...yes, it's odd..but after looking at it for an hour..I just thought..surely all the voting categories are the same, and therefore they know how to vote for best movie, just as well as best Actor, best director, best screenplay and so on...and funnily enough "that man" still won! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Koka

• Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #189 on: Jun 08, 2006, 03:52 PM »

I read in an article somewhere that that was only a joke meaning that's not what the real ballots looked like ( next to that pic was a pic of the REAL ballots so.... ).
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #190 on: Jun 09, 2006, 03:40 AM »

I found it on the net after the Oscar. Too bad I do not remember in what site.  :-
I heard that some of  the older academy voters never wanted to see BBM  :s)
but I'm sure that  they missed the button.. :s)   that old putz's
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."