Author Topic: BBM DVD COVER, what's your opinion?!  (Read 68375 times)

Offline Stephen

• Alma
  • Tragedy: "Wisdom too late."
Re: BBM DVD COVER, what's your opinion?!
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2006, 10:18 AM »
I'm actually ok with the silver-bordered U.S. cover.
On March 21, chameau said "Anything showing pics of our boys will make it for me." I agree. Plus, I honestly don't even see the border and the text - my eyes go straight to the boys and that's all I see.
Riobbm23, stephen, bram and some felt it looked too platonic I guess. For me, it's actually a little reminiscent of the embrace in the flashback scene so it feels romantic to me when I look at it.

I agree with you about the cover; my problem was with the mini photos on the back which gave the impression of a film about two cowpokes and their families! Not of a love affair between the two men; definitely a media strategy to not offend anyone......
"One more chain to break to get closer to you"

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2006, 01:34 PM »
I'm actually ok with the silver-bordered U.S. cover.
On March 21, chameau said "Anything showing pics of our boys will make it for me." I agree. Plus, I honestly don't even see the border and the text - my eyes go straight to the boys and that's all I see.
Riobbm23, stephen, bram and some felt it looked too platonic I guess. For me, it's actually a little reminiscent of the embrace in the flashback scene so it feels romantic to me when I look at it.

I agree with you about the cover; my problem was with the mini photos on the back which gave the impression of a film about two cowpokes and their families! Not of a love affair between the two men; definitely a media strategy to not offend anyone......

Funny, I just realized I never look at the back. I can't stop staring at the front. I'm sure I looked at it when I first got it but until you said that, I didn't even remember there were pictures on the back. I just went to look at it and you're absolutely right! I also can't help noticing that as many copies as my local video rental store has of the movie, they don't have any posters for it displayed anywhere.
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2006, 05:42 PM »
I have to say that I prefer the covers of the future french editions  :)

"Texans don't drink coffee?"

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2006, 05:45 PM »

They are lovely pierralex.Is that prestige edition one a special dvd?

Jennis.x

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2006, 05:48 PM »
The prestige edition has no new bonuses, just goodies within. Take a look at the "DVD Release - France" thread  ;)

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2006, 05:56 PM »
The prestige edition has no new bonuses, just goodies within. Take a look at the "DVD Release - France" thread  ;)
ooh more goodies.Ok,heading over there now ;)
Thankyou!
Jennis.x

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2006, 06:04 PM »
I didn't find it on the french thread but i had a look on Amazon France and it says two dvd's and a cd.Is there photos on one of the discs?In any case it sounds great and i wonder why all countries are different?Do you have this version pierralex?

Jennis.x

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2006, 06:09 PM »
The thread is right here in "All about DVD" lol!!!

It will be released in july.... a long wait  :-\

I think DVD are differents because of the national editor.
By the way, nowing the french editor, I wonder if the ultimate edition wouldn't be in a white wooden box...

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2006, 06:30 PM »
The thread is right here in "All about DVD" lol!!!

It will be released in july.... a long wait  :-\

I think DVD are differents because of the national editor.
By the way, nowing the french editor, I wonder if the ultimate edition wouldn't be in a white wooden box...
Oh ;D
Never mind sweetie,found it now ;D.You have july to look forward to ;)
J.x

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2006, 06:33 PM »

They do look fantastic!!!

Thankx...I have to say I love the 3rd one..cannot wait to get my hands on it!!!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2006, 08:33 PM »
I like the covers from the UK and France better than the US one.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline jeffjoe

• My name is Joe... Jeff Joe
  • Ennis
  • The magic is in us here...
« Reply #101 on: Jul 22, 2006, 08:11 PM »
I like the white edge in the cover it's so classic... But i agree with all of you i hate the Academy banner, the movie not need the awards to take our attention, people buy the DVD not the oscars :cr)
Nunca me alejo, mas allá de una mirada...

Offline FulOfSadness

• Jack
  • I am the crescendo of Sadness
« Reply #102 on: Jul 22, 2006, 11:16 PM »
I think its okay, i can't reall think of a better cover, just thinking about Jack makes me sad.
"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone."
-Harriet Beecher Stowe.

RebelWithSadness

Offline cowgirl19

• Alma
  • If you can't fix it, you got a stand it.
« Reply #103 on: Jul 22, 2006, 11:58 PM »
3 days ago the dvd here in Oz came out and the cover is awesome.  I love it....not buying the dvd though til it goes down in price.
"Come on Ennis, you just shot my plane out a the sky!-give me somethin a go on.  This ain't no little thing that's happenin here"---Jack Twist

Ennis, weather-eyed, looked west for the heated cumulus that might come up on such a day but the boneless blue was so deep, said Jack, that he might drown looking up.

His shaking hand grazed Ennis's hand, electrical current snapped between them.

Offline rdx

• Jack
Re: Misc Pics
« Reply #104 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:38 AM »
[Moderators, I could start a new topic about the Australian DVD releases when I've got the time, but meanwhile...]

Subsiding madness continues... :i Just for your information...

One of the Australian DVD releases has an 8 page booklet as follows.

The covers:

The 1st double page:

The 2nd double page:

The 3rd double page:

The DVD cover (very golden & slightly reliefish):

Once again, if you want zoom in, open the picture in a new browser window.

The 'production notes' and trivia don't contain anything new. The legend that the jumping into a lake scene is edited in some territories doesn't hold: the scene is the very same everywhere as far as I can see regarding DVDs and Blu-rays (theatrical presentation?). (Comical, I'd say about edits like that.. :f))
"I'm spurrin' his guts out! Wavin' to the girls in the stands! He's kickin' me to high heaven, but he don't jackboard me! No!" Jack

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #105 on: Oct 05, 2010, 12:02 PM »
The German Blu-ray has some real BD-Live content, 'eine Götterdämmerung'  #).

A digital press release booklet: general information with 'polished' pictures. The booklet is presented as png-images of mediocre quality.

If you want to zoom in, open a picture in a new browser window.

This is the very first time that BD-Live has some 'added-value' content, IMHO; usually it's just some useless trailers etc.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2010, 11:15 AM by rdx »
"I'm spurrin' his guts out! Wavin' to the girls in the stands! He's kickin' me to high heaven, but he don't jackboard me! No!" Jack

Offline brokebacksoul

• Jack + Ennis
  • All beauty is sad. (Ophelias Dream)
« Reply #106 on: Oct 05, 2010, 01:05 PM »
The German Blu-ray has some real BD-Live content, 'eine Götterdämmerung'  #).

A digital press release booklet: general information with 'polished' pictures. The booklet is presented as png-images with mediocre quality.

If you want to zoom in, open a picture in a new browser window.

This is the very first time that BD-Live has some 'added-value' content, IMHO; usually it's just some useless trailers etc.

Thanks again for sharing, rdx  :)
You really work hard for this forum  ;)

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness. (Gotye)

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #107 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:42 AM »
Thanks again for sharing, rdx  :)
You really work hard for this forum  ;)

I really agree ¡  :clap: :clap: :clap: Not in vain I always say that you are the Forum official investigator ¡  :)
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #108 on: Oct 07, 2010, 05:38 PM »
rdx: I find all of your scans very interesting, especially the German Blu-Ray cover art. An interesting interpretation of familiar BBM scenes, but displayed with a new outlook that I don't recall seeing before. For instance, the page two "STAB" juxtaposition of the Ennis/Jack facial views. What an interesting composition. It would be very interesting to know who, how, and when this artwork / composition was created. Was this done recently, with several years of retrospection, not to mention Heath's death? Though I believe all the individual vignettes are ones that have been seen before, they are put together into montages that are very arresting. The view of Ennis and Jack "facing off" each other in the camping chairs on their last meeting is particularly fascinating, since Ang was seemingly so careful to make sure that they were only seen as a pair (or couple) facing the lake together prior to their argument.

I wish I knew or understood more about the development and release of these video products, is it centrally controlled or are there production studios in each country that develop their own unique products, and if so what limitations are they under in terms of what they can or cannot do with the existing studios artwork?

Thanks so much for scanning and sharing this stuff (and at such high resolution!).
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #109 on: Oct 08, 2010, 01:46 PM »
rdx: I find all of your scans very interesting, especially the German Blu-Ray cover art.
Thanks so much for scanning and sharing this stuff (and at such high resolution!).

Kiitän ja kumarran herra jackster.  O0 Your points of view are very interesting.

The pages are from some sort of press release booklet marking the German and Austrian premiere of BBM in March 2006; notice the page numbers. The BD-Live has it as an extra content through internet as png-pictures and I just extracted them from the hard disc of my computer..no scanning.. :s:

The booklet must have been made early 2006 or even late 2005 by the German distributor of BBM, Tobis or its 'subcontractor'. The pictures are quite unique, sort of glamour filtered. I think that every distributor who buys the rights to release a film in a certain country/area, also gets 'unlimited' rights to use promotional material provided by the production company of the film. The local distributor is relatively free to use the promotional material as it sees best: the taste of the local audience, the timing of the premiere, press releases, DVD menu design etc.

Just my thoughts; I'm not an expert on this.. :i

It amazes me a little bit, no offence here at all, but the best DVD releases seem to be outside the English speaking world: the Taiwanese denim package, the French ultimate box, the Spanish steel box and the Italian package with a book. UK has no special edition at all.

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #110 on: Oct 08, 2010, 01:58 PM »
Many pictures posted here recently are about DVDs only and should be posted in the all about DVD thread, before moderator's split DVD pictures from here and merge them to all about DVD we would like your input, thanks!

Cher M. chameau, I do understand your concern and I am the one to blame. I did consider where to post. As I wrote earlier I will start new topics on 'All about DVD' when I have the time (if ever) to write more holistic posts. Meanwhile I just wanted to share some highlights: the reversed BBM main picture, the Australian production notes & trivia and the German press release. "Let be, let be" for now.  O0

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #111 on: Oct 08, 2010, 03:05 PM »
Kiitän ja kumarran herra jackster.

Um . . . . uh, . . well, . . . Happy Halloween to you too, rdx  ;)

Thanks mucho for the DVD explanation and background here. Right or not, it makes sense to me.
On the "reversed" image, I'm sure you noticed, they did a bit more than a simple reversal, Jack got moved back a little from Ennis. Enough so that there is now daylight between them, no men touching down under? This is, again, really fascinating to me for several reasons - 1st you have to ask why? The reversal could be easy to explain in art terms of direction of focus and composition stuff, but why "stretch" it out like this? 2nd, in order to do this as well as they have it seems they must of had access to the original individual images of Jack and Ennis which have been layered into the one image we're all familiar with. Otherwise getting the details, i.e. Jack's shirt, ear, etc. would be pretty difficult.  

Love your phrase "glamor filtered" - they certainly did. Poor Alma's beginning to look really down an' out, while they gave Cassie a smile that looks like it came off the "Joker".

Your little note on the graphic design quality of the non-English versions is, of course, right-on. I think most designers would tell you the same about many consumer goods and products (at least in the US).

Cham - I got no problem movin' it, you guys know best.  :c)
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2010, 09:11 PM by jackster »

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #112 on: Oct 08, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Dear rdx:
In thinking about the image reversal I started looking at this Ennis, and suddenly realized where he came from. This has probably been noted elsewhere in years past, but it just became apparent to me. The "famous" Ennis, the one used with Jack in all the movie posters is almost certainly from the shoot where he is by himself out at the ranch. I've composed the several other views taken that same day for comparison. There are also views of him inside his pickup taken that same day.

Same hat, coat w/turned up collar, hair, lighting. I've always been very partial to this series of Ennis views, IMHO Heath was looking particularly fetching in this outfit. I guess someone else was too, huh.

Thanks for sending me down this road of discovery!  :t)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #113 on: Oct 08, 2010, 04:30 PM »
[gmod]Thanks brokies, all DVD related pictures have been moved and merged here :s:[/gmod]
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #114 on: Oct 10, 2010, 11:46 AM »
On the "reversed" image, I'm sure you noticed, they did a bit more than a simple reversal, Jack got moved back a little from Ennis. Enough so that there is now daylight between them, no men touching down under? This is, again, really fascinating to me for several reasons - 1st you have to ask why? The reversal could be easy to explain in art terms of direction of focus and composition stuff, but why "stretch" it out like this? 2nd, in order to do this as well as they have it seems they must of had access to the original individual images of Jack and Ennis which have been layered into the one image we're all familiar with. Otherwise getting the details, i.e. Jack's shirt, ear, etc. would be pretty difficult.  

Yes, I noticed those details too: the daylight between the boys; personally I find the ''stretch" quite nice, it doesn't 'contradict' in any way. Yup, the designer must have had the individual images available, otherwise it would have been way too difficult.

There's also this version of the picture in Australia (yet another DVD cover):

The other Australian DVDs (that I'm aware of) have the classical picture on the cover.

Love your phrase "glamor filtered" - they certainly did. Poor Alma's beginning to look really down an' out, while they gave Cassie a smile that looks like it came off the "Joker".

Thanks jackster. Yup, the images have really been retouched for the German/German speaking audience.

« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2010, 02:21 PM by rdx »

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #115 on: Oct 10, 2010, 12:41 PM »
In thinking about the image reversal I started looking at this Ennis, and suddenly realized where he came from. This has probably been noted elsewhere in years past, but it just became apparent to me. The "famous" Ennis, the one used with Jack in all the movie posters is almost certainly from the shoot where he is by himself out at the ranch. I've composed the several other views taken that same day for comparison.

Same hat, coat w/turned up collar, hair, lighting. I've always been very partial to this series of Ennis views, IMHO Heath was looking particularly fetching in this outfit. I guess someone else was too, huh.

Yup, great composition, thanks. I think that those pictures were taken at the same time when they were filming this scene, the outfit matches (even the quilted vest):

Yup, fetching indeed.. ;)

There are also views of him inside his pickup taken that same day.

Please, give us an example.

Thanks for sending me down this road of discovery!  :t)

You're most welcome Sir jackster.  O0

*o)
I also think that the following picture was taken when Ennis was coming home just before Jack's first post card.

A picture:

A film frame:

The hue different but the swing in the background matches; what do you think?

Offline WildCatIsle

• Joy, that near to me remains
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I'm sorry (I love you) It's alright (I love you)
« Reply #116 on: Oct 10, 2010, 04:08 PM »
Yup, great composition, thanks. I think that those pictures were taken at the same time when they were filming this scene, the outfit matches (even the quilted vest):

Yup, fetching indeed.. ;)
Please, give us an example.
You're most welcome Sir jackster.  O0
*o)I also think that the following picture was taken when Ennis was coming home just before Jack's first post card.
A picture:

A film frame:

The hue different but the swing in the background matches; what do you think?

Thanks for this pix rdx. I think the picture is of some deleted scene, Ennis is made up to resemble a teenager, as in other deleted pictures from the beginning of the film . In the scene before Jack's post card doesn't look too childish.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #117 on: Oct 10, 2010, 04:10 PM »
I also think that the following picture was taken when Ennis was coming home just before Jack's first post card.

Well, this is exactly the picture in the pickup I was thinkin' of. Obviously not the same shoot as the others as I thought, as he's wearing the Carhart Chore coat rather than the Lee blue jean coat. Stupid me. Though here's another great Heath/Ennis view that seems from the same shoot out at the lonesome ranch:

Heath's actually standing next to Ang Lee in this view, which I've cropped to focus on more 'important' elements.
Always loved the quite accidental positioning of his index finger. ;)

Per the two pick-up views, this certainly seems a reasonable assumption.

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #118 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:57 PM »
Thanks for this pix rdx. I think the picture is of some deleted scene, Ennis is made up to resemble a teenager, as in other deleted pictures from the beginning of the film . In the scene before Jack's post card doesn't look too childish.

Yes, Ennis/Heath does look, at least a little bit, teenagerish in the picture, as he does in the last picture of jackster's composition. But I take it as Heath's incredible ability and talent to adapt, even to look different. When I was watching the film for the first couple of times, I thought that is it really the same man in this scene and in that scene. Of course it is a matter of makeup but I did keep wondering. I may be alone with this observation of mine... :i

WildcatIsle, I still think that the truck picture is not from a deleted scene but as I wrote earlier.

Though here's another great Heath/Ennis view that seems from the same shoot out at the lonesome ranch:

Heath's actually standing next to Ang Lee in this view, which I've cropped to focus on more 'important' elements.
Always loved the quite accidental positioning of his index finger. ;)

Yup, it's the greatest picture, IMHO. Ennis's/Heath's outfit matches and the house in the background is the same one we see when Ennis is bringing a horse 'home' in a trailer, so this picture and the movie poster picture were taken at this same spot at the same time. Once again the quilted vest (piece of orange).. O0 Indeed, the positioning of his index finger... #s} Thanks jackster.

*o)
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2010, 02:20 PM by rdx »

Offline WildCatIsle

• Joy, that near to me remains
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I'm sorry (I love you) It's alright (I love you)
« Reply #119 on: Oct 12, 2010, 01:16 PM »

Yes, Ennis/Heath does look, at least a little bit, teenagerish in the picture, as does in the last picture of jackster composition. But I take it as Heath's incredible ability and talent to adapt, even to look different. When I was watching the film for the first couple of times, I thought that is it really the same man in this scene and in that scene. Of course it is a matter of makeup but I did keep wondering. I may be alone with this observation of mine... :i

WildcatIsle, I still think that the truck picture is not from a deleted scene but as I wrote earlier.

Looking closely the picture seems to Ennis in the van under the laundry, but I cann't remember this image appear on the film