Poll

Did you hear Ennis say "I love you" during the closet scene?

I heard it
I never heard it

Author Topic: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL  (Read 103537 times)

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #180 on: Sep 28, 2006, 01:59 PM »
I've listened over and over and though it looks as if he's moving his lips, I can'tcatch any distinguishable words. It took me a while to hear some of the others, eg in FNIT, though, so I guess I'll just have to keep listening, though it's a great hardship.

Offline BBM Obsessed

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 262
  • Gender: Male
  • BBM Obsessed!!
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #181 on: Sep 30, 2006, 05:40 PM »
OMG!!!  I just watched that scene and did hear Ennis whisper "I Love You"!!!   <^( <^( <^(

I hadn't thought about it in awhile, but I remember thinking I heard Ennis say "I love you" during that scene while at my first viewing at the theater (12/09/05).  Ironically, during subsequent viewings I didn't hear it again.  Since I am usually an emotional pile of rubble by that time in the movie, I just ended up blaming it on my romantic subconcious and wishful thinking.  Now I know for sure that I did hear it.  I just ran that sequence through six times and my heart swelled a little with each utterance!  Awesome!  (And I (again) applaud Heath for his acting brilliance!!)   :clap: :clap: :clap:
 

"I'm not a human being having a spiritual experience, rather I'm a spiritual being having a human experience."  :)

greenfrog

  • Guest
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #182 on: Sep 30, 2006, 06:15 PM »
I heard it !!!!!!  <^( <^( <^( <^(

Offline keren_b

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 23651
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • There will never be another Heath
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #183 on: Oct 01, 2006, 06:25 AM »
It doesn't really bother me that much that I didn't hear it. I don't have headphones connection so maybe that's the problem. If so many people have heard it I guess it's there, but I don't think it'll change much whether I hear it or not - I know what Ennis feels in that moment. For me, what goes through is head is "God, I've never realised you loved me so much from the begining, I'm sorry Jack, I love you too, I love you so much but now I won't ever have the chance to tell you". whether he says it or not, I know he feels that love in his heart and he's finally able to admit it. The fact that other people heard him say it just confirms my feelings.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline jakestowel

  • Cassie
  • *
  • Posts: 13
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #184 on: Oct 24, 2006, 10:51 AM »
I wanted so much to hear him say it.  I tried over and over, but I am one of those who was not fortunate to hear it.  But his entire mood and actions during this scene just scream:  "Jack , I love you!" And it tore me up.

Ennis had difficulty expressing himself in words.  His actions spoke for him.

Offline chameau

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 28148
  • Gender: Male
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #185 on: Oct 24, 2006, 10:37 PM »
I wanted so much to hear him say it.  I tried over and over, but I am one of those who was not fortunate to hear it.  But his entire mood and actions during this scene just scream:  "Jack , I love you!" And it tore me up.

Ennis had difficulty expressing himself in words.  His actions spoke for him.

 :\'( :\'( :\'(

I second all you said

Amen!
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline aintfoolin

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Gender: Female
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #186 on: Nov 14, 2006, 05:57 AM »
he says it so softly that it could be easily missed. Well I finally heard him say it and oh my God it's so emotional I can't stand it.
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline Toadily

  • Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2777
  • Gender: Female
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #187 on: Jun 29, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I don't feel the character would say that.   Even with all that has happened, all he is at point of saying is Jack I swear, I feel meaning i honor you and wish on some level I did more right by you.  But the three little words isn't Ennis.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline chameau

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 28148
  • Gender: Male
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #188 on: Jun 29, 2007, 08:16 PM »
I don't feel the character would say that.   Even with all that has happened, all he is at point of saying is Jack I swear, I feel meaning i honor you and wish on some level I did more right by you.  But the three little words isn't Ennis.

What she said!
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

manhattangirl

  • Guest
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #189 on: Jun 30, 2007, 11:29 AM »
I think this is as close as Ennis could come to saying "I love you",   I don't understand what the problem is in saying this, like we are all some how above saying it,  to hear it.  This story was about love, and if  it wasn't would be here talking about?    In one way or another in our deepest of hearts this what we want, this what want to give, and what we want to receive, and want to hear whispered in our ears.

my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: Jun 30, 2007, 12:54 PM by manhattangirl »

Offline freakasylum23

  • Cassie
  • *
  • Posts: 6
  • "LOVE IS A FORCE OF NATURE"
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #190 on: Jun 30, 2007, 12:57 PM »
When I checked out again BBM in my laptop, I didn't hear Ennis saying "I LOVE YOU" after taking a deep breath and exhaled but when I closely watched it again and listened to that, YES I HEARD THAT!!! I heard that many times and I saw also that the lips of Ennis moving and saying "I LOVE YOU".. OMG I can't resist to cry again...
"LOVE IS A FORCE OF NATURE"

Offline lamusica

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1874
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #191 on: Jun 30, 2007, 02:48 PM »
I've tried to hear it, but can't.  Then I realize that actions speak much louder than any words possibly could, and the way in which Ennis holds the shirts, smells them, rubs them on his face and cries is enough for me.  If that isn't love, I don't know what is.
"Let's put a SSSSMILE on your faceeee!"

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

  • BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 26918
  • Gender: Male
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #192 on: Jun 30, 2007, 03:05 PM »
I've never been able to detect the words.  As far as I'm concerned his actions say it clearly. :\'(
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline jacks_key

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2466
  • Gender: Female
  • We'll always have Brokeback...
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #193 on: Jun 30, 2007, 04:22 PM »
It's a whisper as he's exhaling. I thought nothing could make that scene more heart-wrenching than it already was and then this did it. I also heard him say "Jack"- when he first takes the shirts out of the closet and as his hand goes to the chest of the shirt. Then he embraces the shirts... :\'(

I might have posted this before, but I agree with you.  WATCH HIS MOUTH.  He inhales thru his nose and exhales thru his mouth.  When he's exhaling, watch his mouth - even if you don't hear the 'I love you,' you can see his lips forming the words. 
Heath Ledger: 1979-2008
Never enough time, never enough.

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

  • BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 26918
  • Gender: Male
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #194 on: Jun 30, 2007, 05:40 PM »
I might have posted this before, but I agree with you.  WATCH HIS MOUTH.  He inhales thru his nose and exhales thru his mouth.  When he's exhaling, watch his mouth - even if you don't hear the 'I love you,' you can see his lips forming the words. 

Next time I watch it I will look for it.  If I am able to make it out I'm sure I will just lose it! :\'(
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline LuvJackNasty

  • Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 26177
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #195 on: Jun 30, 2007, 07:39 PM »
That's how it was for me CSC. That scene still rips me to shreds. Hearing it just made it worse for me. That scene says too damn much whether or not one hears it  :\'(
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

  • BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 26918
  • Gender: Male
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #196 on: Jun 30, 2007, 08:35 PM »
That's how it was for me CSC. That scene still rips me to shreds. Hearing it just made it worse for me. That scene says too damn much whether or not one hears it  :\'(

Amazing...this was one of the scenes in the trailer that locked me into an obsession with this film in the first place.  Who would have thought more than a year and a half later there would be something new to discover.
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline aintfoolin

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Gender: Female
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #197 on: Jul 01, 2007, 04:47 PM »
I don't feel the character would say that.   Even with all that has happened, all he is at point of saying is Jack I swear, I feel meaning i honor you and wish on some level I did more right by you.  But the three little words isn't Ennis.

 I disagree. Ennis is a changed man after all this. Yes, he is stubborn shy, hard to reach, but this reached Ennis as nothing had ever did in his life. This is not the same Ennis even as he sat in the Twist kitchen before he found the shirts. He did'nt realize the depth of Jack's undying love for him until this moment. I could see Ennis saying it and he did.
 This did it for me too, and I don't normally cry during movie scenes but just thinking about it brings tears. Ennis was'nt made of stone and the proof is in this pudding, the testament , if you will of him breathing/sighing the words "I love you to Jack ...finally. At this momement the shirts * became* Jack for him, as Ennis tearfully pulled the shirts into a *hug* (Adjusting the arms/sleeves) trying to will Jack back to life  by smelling the shirts too. :\'( :\'( and probably thinking "if only I could see you  alive one more time, I'd give you that sweet life like you wanted me to. I was wrong" Jack, and I do love you)" .Regrets were definitly in order for him. Through his actions and verbal confession we get the picture. MO.
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline ethan

  • Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 11247
  • Country: us
  • Gender: Male
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #198 on: Jul 01, 2007, 09:54 PM »
This did it for me too, and I don't normally cry during movie scenes but just thinking about it brings tears. Ennis was'nt made of stone and the proof is in this pudding, the testament , if you will of him breathing/sighing the words "I love you to Jack ...finally. At this momement the shirts * became* Jack for him, as Ennis tearfully pulled the shirts into a *hug* (Adjusting the arms/sleeves) trying to will Jack back to life  by smelling the shirts too. :\'( :\'( and probably thinking "if only I could see you  alive one more time, I'd give you that sweet life like you wanted me to. I was wrong" Jack, and I do love you)" .Regrets were definitly in order for him. Through his actions and verbal confession we get the picture. MO.

Gosh your post did it for me.  :\'( I did hear Ennis say it when I watched the DVD on my laptop and listened with a headphone. I think this scene is a killer because the audience felt the magnitude of love just like Ennis for the first time.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline BBBOY

  • Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 16628
  • Gender: Male
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #199 on: Jul 01, 2007, 10:07 PM »
Gosh your post did it for me.  :\'( I did hear Ennis say it when I watched the DVD on my laptop and listened with a headphone. I think this scene is a killer because the audience felt the magnitude of love just like Ennis for the first time.

Whether it was said or not, ( and I believe I have heard it) his actions convey just what we all know he is saying.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline LuvJackNasty

  • Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 26177
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #200 on: Jul 02, 2007, 11:24 PM »
I disagree. Ennis is a changed man after all this. Yes, he is stubborn shy, hard to reach, but this reached Ennis as nothing had ever did in his life. This is not the same Ennis even as he sat in the Twist kitchen before he found the shirts. He did'nt realize the depth of Jack's undying love for him until this moment. I could see Ennis saying it and he did.
 This did it for me too, and I don't normally cry during movie scenes but just thinking about it brings tears. Ennis was'nt made of stone and the proof is in this pudding, the testament , if you will of him breathing/sighing the words "I love you to Jack ...finally. At this momement the shirts * became* Jack for him, as Ennis tearfully pulled the shirts into a *hug* (Adjusting the arms/sleeves) trying to will Jack back to life  by smelling the shirts too. :\'( :\'( and probably thinking "if only I could see you  alive one more time, I'd give you that sweet life like you wanted me to. I was wrong" Jack, and I do love you)" .Regrets were definitly in order for him. Through his actions and verbal confession we get the picture. MO.

Oh God this whole post just killed me  :\'( :\'(
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline myprivatejack

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 15750
  • Gender: Female
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #201 on: Sep 15, 2007, 10:59 AM »
Interesting and moving topic that I regret to having lose in its moment because I wasn´t still a part of these persons who can write such a nice posts as you¡I disagree with Toadily because I think,like aintnofolin,that Ennis changes after Jack´s death;human nature is complicated enough as to realized the deepness and importance of what we got only when we´ve lost it.And then we say or do what we must have said or done much before,but it´s to late...Ennis got shocked when he saw the shirts,and this shock was like a blow with a hammer against his macho man´s shield.Then,he could easily say the words he never wanted,be able or admited to say to Jack before;as if he was saying to himself "Why wasn´t I brave enough to tell him I LOVE YOU?But I agree also with who say that his actions in Twist´s home speak for himself.
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2007, 11:19 AM by myprivatejack »
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline aintfoolin

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Gender: Female
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #202 on: Sep 18, 2007, 02:49 PM »
I feel it is Ennis's personal responsibility hitting home here. Whai I mean is that the fact that Ennis DID"NT take what Jack wanted seiously enough till now. His involvement in this reality to him is what's so painful. He knows only one thing at this moment and that is it is better if Jack had'nt died. Period.

He did leave/die , though under very mysterious circumstances and I have a fantasy that lingers.  A *what if* scenario.That there is a case of "mistaken identity", Jack is not dead , but only missing. and Jack shows up one day on Ennis's door step alive and well. If Jack still wants his sweet life with Ennis  having had this serious wake up call, there's no doubt at that point he'd have gotten it. If Ennis could have gotten a second chance with Jack, he would have done it, now knowing the devastating alternative to not committing. My opinion and a wish. Thanks.
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline myprivatejack

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 15750
  • Gender: Female
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #203 on: Sep 19, 2007, 09:06 AM »
I totally agree with you,aintfoolin,and precisely some of us spoke about this possibility of a Jack´s escape pretending he was dead before everybody-including Ennis,or perhaps mainly before Ennis-.And how in this case,Ennis had learned the lesson enough bitterly to overcome his paranoias reacting in a very different way from the one he had done all his life.As I said before,we usually "wake" when it´s too late or when the blow it´s too strong,although it isn´t hopeless still.A wonderful wish,AF, thanks to share it with us.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2007, 09:21 AM by myprivatejack »
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

babytammy7

  • Guest
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #204 on: Sep 19, 2007, 11:27 AM »
Aintfoolin, MPJ, a friend of mine said to me that perhaps Ennis didn't change at all, and he neither would have wanted that sweet life if he had have a second chance, 'cause his theory about being killed for being gay was confirmed with Jack's dead.......  If Jack were still alive he  probably would be more understanding, but he were even more afraid of being killed than before and he were afraid of loosing Jack again if they were found out.

I never thought about it in that way, but I think it could makes sense; what do you think?

Offline LuvJackNasty

  • Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 26177
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #205 on: Sep 19, 2007, 11:31 AM »
That's interesting BabyTammy. Maybe we should start a thread (if you haven't already) posing that very question. I never thought of it like that either.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline myprivatejack

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 15750
  • Gender: Female
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
Re: Ennis says "I love you" in closet scene - Spoiler - New POLL
« Reply #206 on: Sep 19, 2007, 12:13 PM »
That's interesting BabyTammy. Maybe we should start a thread (if you haven't already) posing that very question. I never thought of it like that either.
I agree also;I think we should start the thread:-Had Ennis really changed if Jack wasn´t killed?, for example.Let´s start¡.
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline haveacrush

  • Lureen
  • ***
  • Posts: 114
  • Gender: Female
  • whut ? (the famous say-it-all-in-a-word "whut?")
did anybody hear "i love you?"
« Reply #207 on: Jul 03, 2012, 02:22 PM »
i had downloaded movie transcript of BBM (all dialogues !) ... its mentioned that after discovering the shirts ennis holds them and breathes in saying "I love you" .. is it true? has anybody actually heard it ?
let be let be

Offline ethan

  • Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 11247
  • Country: us
  • Gender: Male
Re: did anybody hear "i love you?"
« Reply #208 on: Jul 03, 2012, 04:38 PM »
Here is a poll about your question. Some did and some didn't.

http://www.ennisjack.com/forum/index.php?topic=3367.0
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline kitty

  • Old Brokeback got me good
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2488
  • Gender: Female
  • Save a horse, ride a cowboy! Yeehaw!
Re: did anybody hear "i love you?"
« Reply #209 on: Jul 03, 2012, 06:52 PM »
I've tried to hear it, but no luck :(

I do hear something, though. It may just Ennis exhaling into the shirts, but I swear I can hear him say Jack's name...