Author Topic: What happened in Texas during Jack's last summer?  (Read 6490 times)

Offline dalemidex

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 268
  • Gender: Male
  • Friend that's more words than you spoke in 2 weeks
What happened in Texas during Jack's last summer?
« on: Apr 21, 2006, 03:58 PM »
I don't recall this being speculated on, and I haven't really thought about this much until recently.

First, here's how I see the timeline: 

--Ennis and Jack's lakeside fight takes place in spring.  (If it were the prior year, even infall, it would not be "November" but "Next November" 

--Jack goes up to Lightening Flat and talks about Randall instead of Ennis

--Jack is killed sometime during the middle of that year

--Ennis' postcard talking about November is returned "Deceased"

So what happened in Texas that summer?  I'm going with the assumption that indeed Jack was beaten to death.  That's not something everyone agrees on, but i think the evidence is (at least to me) rather convincing, and I think the bulk of people think he was indeed bashed.

So why did it come to pass?

It might have simply been coincidence that it happened then.  Jack made a misstep and the wrong person figured out his secret.  He was a little too bold, or too daring, or just unlucky that someone spied him in a compromised situation or someone had loose lips.

It could have been that way.  But was it? 

Or did he push Randall too hard/too fast and he panicked?  From the credits and a deleted scene in the previews it was not Randall who did the beating.  But Randall could have put the bug in the right ears to get Jack done away with in order to protect himself.  (Ennis is not the first or last man with both homosexual tendencies and violent homophobic tendencies too.)

Did he tell Lureen he was leaving her and why?  And if Lureen didn't herself have Jack killed, perhaps word got around if Lureen told others?  From the story (which is *not* automatically the same as the movie) we hear L D Newsome was dead by then, but that's not the only possible source of Jack' killer.

Did Randall agree to run off with Jack, but LeShawn found out and had Jack done away with? I suppose Randall might have been killed as well and we wouldn't know.

I suppose it could have just been coincidental timing that Jack died that summer.  But might it have been that Jack's conflict with Ennis triggered Jack to make changes down in Texas and with Randall, and that lead to word getting out and finally to Jack's death?

I hurts to think this, and I don't  b l a m e  Ennis for Jack's death.  I don't like to make that sort of connectionn.  But what DID happen in Texas that fateful summer?  Why did it happen THAT summer and not any of the prior ones?  And what triggered it?

<s i g h>
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2006, 04:00 PM by dalemidex »

Offline LuvJackNasty

  • Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 26177
  • Gender: Female
Re: What happened in Texas during Jack's last summer?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2006, 04:37 PM »
I've said this in another thread but I think once Jack realized that his dream of being with Ennis was only that {after that last meeting} he may have gotten reckless. Or maybe depressed and was in an "I don't care" mode. I think 20 years of having your dreams shot down finally took it's toll on him. I don't know if Randall or him being with Randall played any role. They were together for a few years- assuming that they got together after that dance in 1978. When my friend and I were discussing this I told her that for all we know Randall was killed as well. It doesn't make much sense, though, if they were caught together for the attackers to lead only Jack to a road and kill him there and kill Randall elsewhere so I guess that's out. I never thought of Randall perhaps having a hand in it. It could have been Randall's boss- perhaps he got wise to what was going on in his cabin- Randall said he was a good ole boy {I take that term to be derrogatory}.

My personal belief is that that last conflict with Ennis made him reckless or careless. And much like you said Dalemidex- he could have been caught in a compromising situation.   I do not and would never blame Ennis for Jack's death. I don't believe that Lureen had a hand in his death. If Lashawn caught wind of it her big mouth would have had it all over town in seconds.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline CherryCake

  • Jack
  • *****
  • Posts: 718
  • Gender: Male
  • You want a piece of me? YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME??!!
Re: What happened in Texas during Jack's last summer?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 22, 2006, 08:55 PM »
. If Lashawn caught wind of it her big mouth would have had it all over town in seconds.

Ya know, I  have always thought there was a reason to have that LaShawn be a blabbermouth... it makes sense that with her in town, she would have told everyone about everything if her Randall and Jack ever 'went fishing'
"Want some coffee, don't you? Piece a cherry cake?"




Hit me up on Yahoo: PieceOfCherryCake

Offline donnaread

  • Love is a force of nature
  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 286
  • Gender: Female
Re: What happened in Texas during Jack's last summer?
« Reply #3 on: Apr 22, 2006, 09:20 PM »
I don't recall this being speculated on, and I haven't really thought about this much until recently.


So what happened in Texas that summer?  I'm going with the assumption that indeed Jack was beaten to death.  That's not something everyone agrees on, but i think the evidence is (at least to me) rather convincing, and I think the bulk of people think he was indeed bashed.


Did he tell Lureen he was leaving her and why?  And if Lureen didn't herself have Jack killed, perhaps word got around if Lureen told others?  From the story (which is *not* automatically the same as the movie) we hear L D Newsome was dead by then, but that's not the only possible source of Jack' killer.

Did Randall agree to run off with Jack, but LeShawn found out and had Jack done away with? I suppose Randall might have been killed as well and we wouldn't know.

I suppose it could have just been coincidental timing that Jack died that summer.  But might it have been that Jack's conflict with Ennis triggered Jack to make changes down in Texas and with Randall, and that lead to word getting out and finally to Jack's death?

I hurts to think this, and I don't  b l a m e  Ennis for Jack's death.  I don't like to make that sort of connectionn.  But what DID happen in Texas that fateful summer?  Why did it happen THAT summer and not any of the prior ones?  And what triggered it?

<s i g h>
I think after their fight that spring by the river that Jack realized the pain he was causing Ennis and he knew Ennis would never make a life with him.  Although I don't think he stopped LOVING Ennis, I think he gave up the idea of their ever having a life together.  I don't think Jack could take it anymore either.  I truly think he was trying to move on.  I think when he told Ennis he was seeing the ranch foreman's wife, he was really seeing the ranch foreman (though he told him this before the fight, on one of their previous "fishing trips", I think it was just a fling with Randall at that time).  But if what Jack's dad said Jack said was true, then maybe he DID decide to make a life with Randall at the Twist ranch.  Then again maybe he was seeing both Randall AND LaShawn and they both found out.  But I don't see either of them being malicious enough to have Jack killed. 

Also, the movie never tells us that L D Newsome is dead.  The short story does, but not the movie.  If Jack was killed by someone he knew, I'd put my money on L D Newsome.  If he found out Jack was going to leave Lureen, I can't see him allowing his precious spoiled daughter to be humilited by her husband leaving her for someone else, especially not a man.  And if he DID have Jack killed, I don't think Lureen knows that...maybe she's suspects, but she doesn't question...its easier and less hurtful to swallow the "killed in an accident" scenario.  I've always said the way she tells Ennis about the accident on the phone sounds like a rehearsed speech she was fed by someone else.  Its just easier to live in denial. 

And I don't think Ennis can really be blamed...he was his own worse enemy...he suffered as much as Jack did.  In fact he was always the one who said they had to meet in secret and I don't believe he was concerned about just his OWN safety, I think he was also concerned about Jack's.  Jack was always the one who was willing to live life on the edge, and throw caution to the wind.

Donna
This is the forest primeval.  The murmuring pines and the hemlocks, bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight...but where are the hearts that beneath it leaped...

Offline shieldmaid

  • Jack
  • *****
  • Posts: 618
  • Gender: Female
Re: What happened in Texas during Jack's last summer?
« Reply #4 on: Apr 22, 2006, 09:50 PM »
I think after their fight that spring by the river that Jack realized the pain he was causing Ennis and he knew Ennis would never make a life with him.  Although I don't think he stopped LOVING Ennis, I think he gave up the idea of their ever having a life together.  I don't think Jack could take it anymore either.  I truly think he was trying to move on.  I think when he told Ennis he was seeing the ranch foreman's wife, he was really seeing the ranch foreman (though he told him this before the fight, on one of their previous "fishing trips", I think it was just a fling with Randall at that time).  But if what Jack's dad said Jack said was true, then maybe he DID decide to make a life with Randall at the Twist ranch.  Then again maybe he was seeing both Randall AND LaShawn and they both found out.  But I don't see either of them being malicious enough to have Jack killed. 

Also, the movie never tells us that L D Newsome is dead.  The short story does, but not the movie.  If Jack was killed by someone he knew, I'd put my money on L D Newsome.  If he found out Jack was going to leave Lureen, I can't see him allowing his precious spoiled daughter to be humilited by her husband leaving her for someone else, especially not a man.  And if he DID have Jack killed, I don't think Lureen knows that...maybe she's suspects, but she doesn't question...its easier and less hurtful to swallow the "killed in an accident" scenario.  I've always said the way she tells Ennis about the accident on the phone sounds like a rehearsed speech she was fed by someone else.  Its just easier to live in denial. 

And I don't think Ennis can really be blamed...he was his own worse enemy...he suffered as much as Jack did.  In fact he was always the one who said they had to meet in secret and I don't believe he was concerned about just his OWN safety, I think he was also concerned about Jack's.  Jack was always the one who was willing to live life on the edge, and throw caution to the wind.

Donna
Quote

Donna, your reply just makes me realize again the bitter tragedy of this story.  Ennis can't commit publicly to Jack -> Jack spends years struggling with the pain of their separation -> Ennis won't leave his life to be with Jack after the divorce -> Jack starts drinking more and more, "throwing caution to the wind," as you stated -> Jack figures he'd better get what he can from "Mexico" and from Randall -> he finally takes one risk too many and is killed.  Fundamentally, I don't think it really matters who killed him--what matters is that he gave up in a way, admitted that life was basically unfair (remember what he says about having kids in the short story: paraphrasing, "not a goddamn thing has ever come to my hand the way I wanted"), and he and Ennis both paid the price.  Please don't get me wrong here: I don't at all mean that Jack deserved or sought out the terrible end that he got.  NOT at all.  And I don't doubt that Jack knew that Ennis loved him.  I keep thinking about the fact that one of the last times we see them together, Ennis is sleeping with his arm around Jack.  But I do think these 20 years wore Jack down a lot, and he tried to deal with pain, separation, disappointment by drinking, turning to others, etc.--by trying to escape the familiar pain in whatever ways he could.

It makes my heart ache to think of it.  And Ennis realizes what Jack's life has been like, too, in the end.  A pain he almost can't bear.

(oops--teary.  :()
some open space between

Offline TJ

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 209
  • Gender: Male
  • TJ's real name is Joe Allen Doty
Re: What happened in Texas during Jack's last summer?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 22, 2006, 09:53 PM »
In the scene where Jack is asking Lureen if she has seen his parka, she is working on the books. And, above her on the wall behind her is the large portrait photo of her father. She talks to him as though she is also his boss. That could mean that "L. D. Newsome" is deceased by that time. (I put her father's name in quotes because he is not named in the book.)
(Ennis) is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream . . . lets a panel of the dream slide forward . . . it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: What happened in Texas during Jack's last summer?
« Reply #6 on: Apr 29, 2006, 04:11 PM »
I can just imagine the "good ol' boys" ( and you're right, it is derogatory, short for " prejudiced,insensitive, unintelligent,loud and conformist",I think) of Childress would, if Jack was drinking, disappearing regularly,going off to Randall's boss's cabin with him on "fishing" trips, picking up the vibes - LD himself implies he thinks there's something effeminate about Jack when he says at Thanksgiving, "You want your son to grow up to be a man, don't you, daughter?"and may have given away, knowingly or not, his uneasiness; then there are the men watching Jack demonstrate the new combine who comment about his inability to ride bulls successfully ( and having that sort of mind I took "riding bulls" to be an analogue for heterosexual sex) - in total a lot of suspicion floating around and maybe it just reached critical mass and a group decided to do something about it. The burst tire story is the acceptable public version, but I like the way in Lureen's version Jack drowns in his own blood, symbolic to me of the way his passions/desires eventually kill him, and how, in the ss, Ennis thinks Jack might have lived had there been anyone there to turn him over, as he did that night on BBM when it all started ( and ended, too, in the " In my end is my beginning" way).

Offline jazzsinger

  • Cassie
  • *
  • Posts: 17
Re: What happened in Texas during Jack's last summer?
« Reply #7 on: Apr 30, 2006, 12:49 PM »
When I first saw the film,I half thought that Jack's own father had something to do with his murder. (Remembering also Ennis's comment about his  father maybe being involved inthe death of Earl).  I certainly think that Jack's father knew Jack was gay and knew he had been killed beacuse of this.

Donna commented:

Then again maybe he was seeing both Randall AND LaShawn and they both found out.  But I don't see either of them being malicious enough to have Jack killed. 

An interesting thought, but I go along with the scenario that Jack was seeing Randall, told his folks about him immediately after his last meeting with Ennis (in May, as it was in the short story) but was unhappy, drinking alot and got careless.  LaShawn may have blabbed and word got around. 

I do beleive though, that had Jack lived, he would have met with Ennis again in November.  He never did work out a way of quitting him, just as Ennis could never give Jack up.

Its a universal story - I've said somewhere else how llike 'Romeo and Julliet' and 'Wuthering Heights' it is - lovers who cannot be together because of social/cultural reasons.  It really is the saddest story ever told...