Author Topic: *SPOILER* Your Thoughts after seeing the DVD  (Read 52339 times)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: *SPOILER* Your Thoughts after seeing the DVD
« Reply #90 on: Apr 17, 2006, 05:41 PM »
ok...then why did u start it mister? LOL!!!

I will not!

I could wait 7 days for you to start it.

I never heard Ennis say "I love you" in the closet scene.

I never heard Jack say f*ck me in the first tent scene.

:-X Alma said something...

I will not start this thread...  :P
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline donnaread

• Love is a force of nature
  • Alma
« Reply #91 on: Apr 18, 2006, 09:13 AM »
Well, did you guys also hear Ennis saying "Later + Come here" in the Reunion scene (1st kiss, just before going upstairs to Alma). The whole story is getting very hot, if so ;D.
Yes I heard the "Come here" and "Later" in the reunion scene...so this only goes to prove that you can't trust the subtitles, because the subtitles aren't there for this.  And in the SNIT I still can't hear Jack say "Come on lie back", but its there in the subtitles.  Sooo....
Donna
This is the forest primeval.  The murmuring pines and the hemlocks, bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight...but where are the hearts that beneath it leaped...

Offline donnaread

• Alma
« Reply #92 on: Apr 18, 2006, 09:24 AM »

In French it's a bit different, she holds Junior, she cries and whispers to her daughter "serres moi fort" (hold me tight)

I thought Alma was saying "Its alright" when she was holding Alma Jr...probably trying to convince herself it would be alright.   :'(.
Donna
This is the forest primeval.  The murmuring pines and the hemlocks, bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight...but where are the hearts that beneath it leaped...

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
« Reply #93 on: Apr 18, 2006, 10:51 AM »

Well, did you guys also hear Ennis saying "Later + Come here" in the Reunion scene

One come here, two later... one later after each head nudge :) Ennis does love hius man even tho he don't say it  :) imo anyway
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #94 on: Apr 19, 2006, 12:20 PM »
Last night I was watching the heartbreaking scene.

I saw two tears dropped from Ennis when he turned to Jack and said "Why do you?..."  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Heartbreaking  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #95 on: Apr 19, 2006, 12:24 PM »

In French it's a bit different, she holds Junior, she cries and whispers to her daughter "serres moi fort" (hold me tight)

I thought Alma was saying "Its alright" when she was holding Alma Jr...probably trying to convince herself it would be alright.   :'(.
Donna

I re-watched this time with subtiltes, in English she is just sobbing, in French they added the whisper to Junior "serres moi fort" it makes the scene even more poignant  :'(
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #96 on: Apr 19, 2006, 12:26 PM »

I saw two tears dropped from Ennis when he turned to Jack and said "Why do you?..."  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Heartbreaking  :'( :'( :'( :'(

This is such a heartbreaking song...I noticed the tears after a fiew viewings I think...but then again at first I used to be in tears for that part of the movie and never managed to see much !
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #97 on: Apr 19, 2006, 01:05 PM »
I saw them as well the first time, and the thing that makes it so powerful is that IMO that is the first time Ennis really shows how he feels without beeing violent  :'( He isn't crying because he wants Jack to leave him, but because Jack sas he wish he could leave him and Ennis, even tho he'd rather eat dung than admit it, is afraid that Jack might just do that... leave...

then off course he does and thats when Ennis cries again, with the shirts

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #98 on: Apr 19, 2006, 03:24 PM »
I finally watched the DVD with my 14 year old son yesterday.  I think he was a little shocked, and he said he didn't entirely understand it, but he liked it.  His only comment during the movie was that Jack had buff arms (2nd tent scene), lol.  I can tell he's been thinking about it, because this morning he asked how old Emmylou Harris was in 1975 (re the scene where Jack is driving away and crying), and he also mentioned that he thought Lureen and Jack's house looked just like ours from what he saw in the phone call from Ennis scene (our house is late 70s and not remodeled yet, yuck).  Odd attention to detail, but at least I know he was paying attention, lol.  He understood the significance of the shirts right away, smart kid  It'll be interesting to see what questions/comments he comes up with as time goes by.

I did cut it a bit.  I skipped all the sex scenes because he hasn't seen anything like that in movies yet, and frankly, I'm not ready to watch that with my kid (although he did know what they were doing...).  That was all.   I didn't skip the kissing scenes, which IMO are pretty erotic.  I did tell him there were two kissing parts and that he could cover his eyes if he didn't want to watch, but he did watch.

For those of you who are wondering why I would let a young teenager watch BBM, this is a boy who is very devout in his way.  He's read the Bible every night for more than two years and he prays every night.  We attend a liberal church, and he knows people who are gay (his writing teacher is a lesbian and he likes her a lot), but I know he feels conflicted between his spiritual feelings and what he knows about respecting and having compassion for others.  Plus, of course, he's a teenage boy and gay or straight, teenage boys are a conflicted bunch.  We've talked about this a lot, but I felt it was important for him to see who Jack and Ennis are, that they're just people stuck in a hard situation.  I didn't want to wait until he was older because you just never know how a parental relationship with a teenager is going to go, and right now we are very close, enough so that I still have more influence over him than his peer group does.     

Now I've got to go back and see if our house really does look like Lureen's!

camom

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #99 on: Apr 19, 2006, 03:51 PM »
camom - thank you for sharing your story. It is very interesting and I envy you for the opportunity to see BBM with your son. All the best to you and your son. 
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #100 on: Apr 19, 2006, 03:57 PM »
Congrats for showing BBM to your son, camom.  He sure paid attention to the details didn't he?

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #101 on: Apr 19, 2006, 04:44 PM »
camom, saw this posting somewhere...  Could it be posted by your son?  ;D

...."Just so I know I'm not alone here, do any guys that are straight (which is what I am) love this movie? It blew me away after me thinking I would hate it and avoiding it, then I watched it and...god, I'm speechless! And I'm 14...a teenage straight guy that loves Brokeback Mountain...

Do any other straight guys love this movie?"

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #102 on: Apr 19, 2006, 04:57 PM »
camom, saw this posting somewhere...  Could it be posted by your son?  ;D

...."Just so I know I'm not alone here, do any guys that are straight (which is what I am) love this movie? It blew me away after me thinking I would hate it and avoiding it, then I watched it and...god, I'm speechless! And I'm 14...a teenage straight guy that loves Brokeback Mountain...

Do any other straight guys love this movie?"

I don't think he knows about this site, but I do hope he feels that way.  I know he didn't want to see it at first--I think he thought it was going to be "mushy."  Two guys being mushy he couldn't handle, but two guys wrestling, OK (even with the kissing, lol).

camom

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #103 on: Apr 19, 2006, 05:11 PM »
CAmom, thank you for sharing your story.  I think it is wonderful that you shared the movie with your son.  I think it is even more wonderful that a 14 year old paid so much attention to it.  As I was reading I thought, whoops, there is a gay interior decorator in the making.   ;D  (buff arms and Jack's home like yours) But, no matter how he turns out he has a wonderful mom that he can always be proud of.  Does he know of your love for BBM?  If so, what does he think of that? Some kids have all the luck when it comes to moms.   :'(   Oh, one last question, is he your only child?  If so, how disappointed would you be if he someday told you he was gay?  Which brings up yet another question.  Did you show him the movie because you have suspicions he might be gay?

Wonderful mom!  :-*

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #104 on: Apr 19, 2006, 06:14 PM »
CAmom, thank you for sharing your story.  I think it is wonderful that you shared the movie with your son.  I think it is even more wonderful that a 14 year old paid so much attention to it.  As I was reading I thought, whoops, there is a gay interior decorator in the making.   ;D  (buff arms and Jack's home like yours) But, no matter how he turns out he has a wonderful mom that he can always be proud of.  Does he know of your love for BBM?  If so, what does he think of that? Some kids have all the luck when it comes to moms.   :'(   Oh, one last question, is he your only child?  If so, how disappointed would you be if he someday told you he was gay?  Which brings up yet another question.  Did you show him the movie because you have suspicions he might be gay?

Wonderful mom!  :-*

I had to laugh at your interior decorator quip--if you saw any of his artwork, you wouldn't think that!  Not the artsy type at all.  As a matter of fact, he's outside playing Airsoft with a bunch of his friends.  Definitely more the militaristic type (oh, Lord, please don't make him want to go to West Point...ugh).  Um, your questions...oh yeah, he knows about my BBM obsession.  He thinks I'm a loon, although he likes the soundtrack and doesn't mind hearing it over and over.  The only movie he's really that nutty over is "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," lol. 

He's my oldest son; I also have a 10 year old (who also knows about BBM).  I don't think I'd be "disappointed" if he was gay, but to be honest, my heart would grieve for him a little.  The idea of people thinking badly of him would be hard for me.  I don't have any ideas about his sexuality, really.  He's a little young for 14, still more interested in baseball, Airsoft, and goofing around than romance.  We'll see what the future holds. 

camom

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #105 on: Apr 20, 2006, 07:42 PM »
Camom,

I think it's wonderful that you shared this movie with your son! I'm a little envious because my oldest is 10 {11 in June} but she is too young to see it.  I plan on sharing this with my daughters when they are a little older. They do know about the movie- mostly how it makes me cry-lol. I'm pretty certain my girls think I am a loon too.  :) They've seen the screen saver {no intimate scenes on it} and have caught me on the pc crying while watching some of the videos. It has opened a bit of a dialogue- my oldest made reference to two men hugging and she had come in while I was on here and saw the reunion kiss avatar and asked me about it. It gave me the opportunity to explain a little bit {without going into great detail} about how there were all kinds of love/relationships and none were wrong. Sometimes it's so hard to find an age appropriate explanation for things.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #106 on: Apr 20, 2006, 08:09 PM »
I finally watched the DVD with my 14 year old son yesterday.  I think he was a little shocked, and he said he didn't entirely understand it, but he liked it.  His only comment during the movie was that Jack had buff arms (2nd tent scene), lol.  I can tell he's been thinking about it, because this morning he asked how old Emmylou Harris was in 1975 (re the scene where Jack is driving away and crying), and he also mentioned that he thought Lureen and Jack's house looked just like ours from what he saw in the phone call from Ennis scene (our house is late 70s and not remodeled yet, yuck).  Odd attention to detail, but at least I know he was paying attention, lol.  He understood the significance of the shirts right away, smart kid  It'll be interesting to see what questions/comments he comes up with as time goes by.

I did cut it a bit.  I skipped all the sex scenes because he hasn't seen anything like that in movies yet, and frankly, I'm not ready to watch that with my kid (although he did know what they were doing...).  That was all.   I didn't skip the kissing scenes, which IMO are pretty erotic.  I did tell him there were two kissing parts and that he could cover his eyes if he didn't want to watch, but he did watch.

For those of you who are wondering why I would let a young teenager watch BBM, this is a boy who is very devout in his way.  He's read the Bible every night for more than two years and he prays every night.  We attend a liberal church, and he knows people who are gay (his writing teacher is a lesbian and he likes her a lot), but I know he feels conflicted between his spiritual feelings and what he knows about respecting and having compassion for others.  Plus, of course, he's a teenage boy and gay or straight, teenage boys are a conflicted bunch.  We've talked about this a lot, but I felt it was important for him to see who Jack and Ennis are, that they're just people stuck in a hard situation.  I didn't want to wait until he was older because you just never know how a parental relationship with a teenager is going to go, and right now we are very close, enough so that I still have more influence over him than his peer group does.     

Now I've got to go back and see if our house really does look like Lureen's!

camom

Wow. camom you sound like about the greatest mom a boy child could have. I salute you. I'd say that you handled the viewing correctly, he'll sneak it and watch if he wants. I sure wish I had you for a mom way back when. Keep up the good work and hopefully you will have a well rounded and happy young adult on your hands one of these days.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #107 on: Apr 20, 2006, 09:35 PM »
Camom,

I think it's wonderful that you shared this movie with your son! I'm a little envious because my oldest is 10 {11 in June} but she is too young to see it.  I plan on sharing this with my daughters when they are a little older. They do know about the movie- mostly how it makes me cry-lol. I'm pretty certain my girls think I am a loon too.  :) They've seen the screen saver {no intimate scenes on it} and have caught me on the pc crying while watching some of the videos. It has opened a bit of a dialogue- my oldest made reference to two men hugging and she had come in while I was on here and saw the reunion kiss avatar and asked me about it. It gave me the opportunity to explain a little bit {without going into great detail} about how there were all kinds of love/relationships and none were wrong. Sometimes it's so hard to find an age appropriate explanation for things.

My younger son will be 10 on May 1, and I've talked to him about BBM quite a bit, too, but you're right, it's a little harder for that age level to understand.  The main thing is for him to know that relationships can be different from just a mom/dad kind of thing, and there's nothing wrong with it.  He likes the soundtrack a lot, too--he asked me to play "A Love That Will Never Grow Old" yesterday.  Someday I'll watch the movie with him, too.

camom

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #108 on: Apr 20, 2006, 09:45 PM »
Thank you, all of you, for your kind remarks.  Sometimes raising a child seems like such an uphill battle, especially in these days.  We are what you would call "progressive" Christians, and at times I feel like the evangelicals are just running right over us.  Sigh.

I still need to go back and look at that scene when Lureen is on the phone.  My son said there was a really ugly lamp "like the fixtures we used to have."  Those all went to the dump, but you should have seen them.  Truly frightening.

camom

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
  • " You know I ain't queer!"
« Reply #109 on: Apr 21, 2006, 07:41 PM »
Camom,

What a wonderful post and what a wonderful thing to do with your son. ( I applaud both his taste in movies and in moms btw) With all the hate-filled ranting that we hear endlessly from from the "Christian" right wingers, I empathize with your feeling like your spiritual take on things just gets shouted down. But what a beautiful counter example you shared above. Gives me a little more hope for the future. Now I'm off to watch the DVD again myself, as I am "batching"  it this weekend while my hubby is crawling around in a cave in Virginia.   
Jack: " Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar."

Offline bubbaluna

• Jack + Ennis
  • "Every Ennis needs a Jack"
« Reply #110 on: Apr 22, 2006, 03:44 AM »
very nice story......
If you want something in life...don't frustrate yourself...take it.....

Offline donnaread

• Alma
« Reply #111 on: Apr 22, 2006, 10:00 AM »

This is such a heartbreaking song...I noticed the tears after a fiew viewings I think...but then again at first I used to be in tears for that part of the movie and never managed to see much !
I watched it again, and you're right, there are TWO tears.  :'(
Donna

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #112 on: Apr 23, 2006, 03:51 PM »
I have a question, off topic, for the ones who got the DVD in USA.  Does the US DVD includes foreign language dubbed versions?
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #113 on: Apr 23, 2006, 03:59 PM »
I have a question, off topic, for the ones who got the DVD in USA.  Does the US DVD includes foreign language dubbed versions?

french

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #114 on: Apr 23, 2006, 04:00 PM »

English / French language

Spanish / English / French subs

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Miss Nice

Re: Sign in when you got the DVD
« Reply #115 on: Apr 25, 2006, 12:22 PM »
Got mine yesterday. Didn't find any thread to post my reaction in so I'll give it here:

Brokeback Mountain - DVD review 25th April 2006 by Katie:

Let me first say: I didn’t sob at all this time. Maybe a half of tear but that’s it. The viewing was the same as the first viewing at the cinema when it took ca 10 days before I reacted. I’ve seen BBM twice on the big screen, and read the novel twice. (I have cried during one wath and one reading, not more…)

I could NOT see that they were flirting from the start, I could just see 2 confused young guys beeing desperate on intimacy up in the maountains that summer –63. I fully understand Ennis choice of not “going for it” with Jack. How would he know that a relationship with Jack would be better than a family life with wonderful Alma? Of course he couldn’t know, and I am not sure of if it would have been better. Ennis would still be the same person, and maybe he would have find a woman and beeing unfaithful to Jack. And then Jack. All I could see was a rather imature person beeing very unrealistic, not learning from mistakes, he should have quit Ennis from start! I think that Jack hurted Ennis’ family a lot!

The extramaterial was ok but a little dissapointing. I have never seen Heath Ledger beeing interviewed before and to me he sounded a bit (excuse me here!!) retarded! Probably because he lisps! I have never before seen Jake Gyllenhaal beeing interviewed either. Jake seemed to me to be a extremely professional and also mature person, very intelligent and sending out good vibes to others…while Heath gave the impression of beeing a rather nervous guy (those sunglasses he had in the interview…why? why? why?), tense and…. “Does he smoke majja a lot or what?” I wondered. The colour setting in the interview versus the one of the clips they showed paralelly was not at all correlated.. gave the impression of creating this DVD:s extra material in a hurry.

Not having subtitles of my own native language was a problem of me not getting as affected ar I would have been. The smaller screen was not the problem. I had the English subtitles on and them showing “huh!” every time they said so in the film was rather irritating. But I didn’t want to turn the sutitles off, since I don’t hear everythign they say otherwise.

Another thing. FNIT was not at all as I remembered it. He actually spitted, I didn’t notice that before (can you believe I was that blind?).

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #116 on: Apr 25, 2006, 12:50 PM »
Got mine yesterday. Didn't find any thread to post my reaction in so I'll give it here:

katie there are several threads about this :) just need to look

I have never seen Heath Ledger beeing interviewed before and to me he sounded a bit (excuse me here!!) retarded!

Heath is very shy and that is why he is waring shades I guess, and he is not comfotalbel speaking outside of his roles in public :)

I do not agree with some of the things you said butu are entitled to u'r opinion :) And I don't remember seeing anyone spit, there was aline OF spit when tya kissed but those of us that have kissed knows that happens unless you kiss with lips tightly shut... I personally found that to add to the realism of the film :)

Miss Nice

« Reply #117 on: Apr 25, 2006, 01:20 PM »
remember seeing anyone spit, there was aline OF spit when tya kissed but those of us that have kissed knows that happens unless you kiss with lips tightly shut... I personally found that to add to the realism of the film :)

Wow!! Is the spitting thing something that was maybe not on the cinema version? Cause I indeed would have remembered that!!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone confirm? (I am NOT talking about kissing spitting... rather someting else!).

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #118 on: Apr 25, 2006, 01:53 PM »
remember seeing anyone spit, there was aline OF spit when tya kissed but those of us that have kissed knows that happens unless you kiss with lips tightly shut... I personally found that to add to the realism of the film :)

Wow!! Is the spitting thing something that was maybe not on the cinema version? Cause I indeed would have remembered that!!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone confirm? (I am NOT talking about kissing spitting... rather someting else!).

The screen was not big enough?  ;D

I saw it in teathers, once I noticed it I just could not believe it
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #119 on: Apr 25, 2006, 02:00 PM »
I got my UK DVD yesterday..