Author Topic: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler  (Read 71724 times)

Offline n061857

  • beau dego
  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 339
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #30 on: Mar 07, 2006, 05:31 PM »
Re: Pajamas..you guys ever been poor, really poor?  You do not get much of choice with fashion. Beyond the brilliant short story can you imagine the level of work done by production designers, costumers, and foley artists (sounds) to get this movie to the level it is? Wow.........

 The pajamas threw me off.  They seemed very out of ccharacter to me.  As poor as he was, they are the newest pieces of clothing Ennis appears to own.  I would have expected them to be faded or worn out or nonexistent.  Maybe they were bought for his wedding?  I don't think he got any Christmas presents.                 - Nancy

Offline rpmnh

  • Lureen
  • ***
  • Posts: 158
  • Gender: Male
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #31 on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:45 AM »
I must admit that the first time I saw the pajamas, they threw me off a bit as well. I found them a bit humorous, and was wondering if I was supposed to... The explanations in this thread make much sense to me - probably a present or something that was found on the discount rack...

Offline sam

  • "It was a Friendship...that became a Secret..."
  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 88
  • Gender: Male
  • Jake: Bafta Awards 2006:"Best Supporting Actor"
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #32 on: Mar 16, 2006, 07:29 PM »
I didn't notice anything wierd about his pajama's. I wear whatever bottoms are my size and are left in the clearance bin. In fact, I'm wearing Snoopy pants right now.

LOL! ;D

I think it was something from the clearance bin.  Did u notice that he only had the bottoms?  I think it was a "leftover item"...the pyjama top was not included when Alma bought it at the store...

sam
Once in a generation a movie comes along which changes the way we think about film...
"Brokeback Mountain" is that film.

Offline keren_b

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 23651
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • There will never be another Heath
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #33 on: Mar 22, 2006, 10:51 AM »
The only thing I thought when I saw him in that pyjama was that he looked incredibly cute in it!!!

yummy.  :P
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline n061857

  • beau dego
  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 339
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #34 on: Mar 22, 2006, 11:36 AM »
The only thing I thought when I saw him in that pyjama was that he looked incredibly cute in it!!!

yummy.  :P

That too!  VERY SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline *Froggy*

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 10977
  • Gender: Female
  • No longer using this account: frog123
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #35 on: Mar 22, 2006, 06:55 PM »
The only thing I thought when I saw him in that pyjama was that he looked incredibly cute in it!!!

yummy.  :P

That too!  VERY SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO so so so sexy! Well Heath/Ennis...not the PJs!
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!


If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline CoyotePiper

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 39
  • Gender: Male
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #36 on: Apr 30, 2006, 06:03 PM »
Quote
I'm surprised that with all the speculation about this scene, nobody mentioned the obvoius reason he'd be wearing pajamas... it was COLD in the house!  Many people on a limited income turn their heat way down, especially at night,

Well in the late sixties nobody went cold and nobody turned their thermostats down. Energy was not an issue and it was so cheap that houses were all kept warm. Conservation didn't occur 'til after 1973 with the Arab oil embargo. Even somebody broke had heat, food, and medical coverage.



Quote
Pajamas were commonly worn in the 1960s.

Correct, Me and my brothers always wore pajammas 100% of the time. You could count on getting them for Christmas. When I was 13 (due to hero worship), I copied my older cousin Steve who slept in Jockey shorts. When my mom discovered this she hit the ceiling. I can still hear her tirade of what a dirty habit it was to sleep in shorts.

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #37 on: Apr 30, 2006, 06:16 PM »
The only thing I thought when I saw him in that pyjama was that he looked incredibly cute in it!!!

yummy.  :P

That too!  VERY SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO so so so sexy! Well Heath/Ennis...not the PJs!

Hell, yes ;D

Oh, and I did notice the fact that the PJs were a little, um, low at the back when he sat down. Very nice of Ang Lee to leave that shot in ;D
'Course if you're interested in that kind of thing you should really go and watch the first appearance of young Mr Ledger in Monsters Ball instead.....
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline edgar

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 244
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #38 on: Apr 30, 2006, 11:35 PM »
Hey, folks.

I mentioned something about this in another thread...

The pajama bottom is one more evidence of what a feminine/feminized world Ennis lives in. He had said he wanted a son, but he got two girls. Ennis being Ennis and Alma being Alma, all the characteristics of their apartment are rather feminine. And the apartment is above a laundromat, of all places--a place where women chat while doing laundry.
Of course before he was married, Ennis never wore pajamas, but someone gave them to him or Alma bought them for him after marriage. Silly print--something Ennis would never wear, but he does. All this makes him all the more hungry for Jack as a male friend, not just as a lover.

BTW, Scruffy, I had the same cowboy pajamas when I was a kid!!   ;D

Offline rane99

  • Lureen
  • ***
  • Posts: 147
  • Gender: Male
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #39 on: Aug 05, 2006, 11:45 PM »
I loved those pajamas!  Cute!!
So's long as the bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring

Offline aintfoolin

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Gender: Female
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #40 on: Aug 06, 2006, 10:23 AM »
WHAT? No speedos back then?  Your better off nude Ennis ditch em!
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #41 on: Aug 06, 2006, 11:59 AM »
I absolutely hated them - they looked like Alma's ( lack of) taste to me - her clothes are perfect grunge and Ennis's aren't much better. They are, however, perfectly in character; whether they're inperiod I'll leave to those better acquainted with what 1960s American males wore in bed!

Offline aintfoolin

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Gender: Female
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #42 on: Aug 06, 2006, 01:02 PM »
Wonder if Jack had better taste in jammys? Maybe Ennis could have swiped a pair of his? Did they have black satin P.J.'s in the 60's? Must do some research.Hmmmmmmm.......
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #43 on: Aug 06, 2006, 11:04 PM »
Jack in black satin - ohmigod!!!!

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #44 on: Aug 07, 2006, 12:19 AM »
Fun thread.  I opened it only because I assumed it must have to do with the butt crack which the PJ's showed off so nicely when Ennis sat down.   :d)

I didn't find them odd at all.  You would absolutely wear PJ's in a home with children during those times.  I'm sure they were from Woolworth's or some such, and ugly patterns were common, too.  If he'd had the top on, too, that would have been not very "attractive," but with the undershirt, I think he's the cat's pajama's.   ;)

It's not a matter of cold, though, not in that scene, or he would have had the top on also, and probably socks, and Alma wouldn't have been in a skimpy little nightgown.

Speaking of Alma and ugly, we see her in those "dusters" over a nightie in the house.

Also, there's a picture on the set of Ennis in PJ bottoms and an undershirt, but they're not those ugly-print ones.  I think not, anyway.

kathy

They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #45 on: Aug 07, 2006, 02:35 AM »
Also, there's a picture on the set of Ennis in PJ bottoms and an undershirt, but they're not those ugly-print ones.  I think not, anyway.


You're right Kathy - these aren't the same PJs as in the scene being discussed. I think these must be the ones he was wearing in the later "Ennis and Alma in bed" scene when she tells him that they should take precautions, although we never see those, obviously. The give away is the sideburns that he has in this shot...."young" Ennis didn't have sideburns but he did during that later scene.

Not that I've studied what Heath Ennis was wearing in bed closely or anything, you understand.... :-[ ;)
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #46 on: Aug 07, 2006, 12:19 PM »
Well, cliothes ar signs and signifiers, so what's going on here is clearly semiotics. So watching/studying is absolutely essential.

These second pyjama bottoms are worse than the others, but you're right about the sideburns.

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #47 on: Aug 07, 2006, 04:17 PM »


You're right Kathy - these aren't the same PJs as in the scene being discussed. I think these must be the ones he was wearing in the later "Ennis and Alma in bed" scene when she tells him that they should take precautions, although we never see those, obviously. The give away is the sideburns that he has in this shot...."young" Ennis didn't have sideburns but he did during that later scene.

Not that I've studied what Heath Ennis was wearing in bed closely or anything, you understand.... :-[ ;)

Hmmm...we need to study this even more closely.  What is going on there in lower left corner with someone in blue jeans bending over, who it looks like "Ennis" is approaching for some unknown reason?

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #48 on: Aug 07, 2006, 05:01 PM »
Maybe he's rehearsing for something or other? Though he'd been there, done that though possibly not bought the t-shirt.

Offline aintfoolin

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Gender: Female
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #49 on: Aug 08, 2006, 04:40 AM »
Well,  All I gotta say is it beats the undershorts with the hearts all over them.  GROANNNNNN!
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #50 on: Aug 08, 2006, 06:42 AM »
Well,  All I gotta say is it beats the undershorts with the hearts all over them.  GROANNNNNN!

Huh? Who has undershorts with hearts all over them? Have I missed something? ???
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline keren_b

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 23651
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • There will never be another Heath
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #51 on: Aug 08, 2006, 08:31 AM »
Well,  All I gotta say is it beats the undershorts with the hearts all over them.  GROANNNNNN!

Huh? Who has undershorts with hearts all over them? Have I missed something? ???

Don't think you have Lindsey... if one of the boys was wearing undershorts with hearts, I would have remembered!  ;D
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #52 on: Aug 08, 2006, 08:56 AM »
Well,  All I gotta say is it beats the undershorts with the hearts all over them.  GROANNNNNN!

Huh? Who has undershorts with hearts all over them? Have I missed something? ???

Don't think you have Lindsey... if one of the boys was wearing undershorts with hearts, I would have remembered!  ;D

Yeah, I think I would have too. But if aintfoolin knows something, she (hope I've got that right!) better share....soon ^^) ;)
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline aintfoolin

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Gender: Female
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #53 on: Aug 08, 2006, 02:54 PM »
 Not sayin either one of our boys wore them ( thank goodness!) but these were a mainstay in the 60's . . All my brothers had them and my dad. uglyiest things I ever seen .Can't see these sexy studs wearin em. No no no!. Could see them in black satin though. Think I found out what Victoria's Secret is. Imagination running wild. The P.J.s in the second picture suck too. always IMHO.
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #54 on: Aug 08, 2006, 02:56 PM »
Not sayin either one of our boys wore them ( thank goodness!) but these were a mainstay in the 60's . . All my brothers had them and my dad. uglyiest things I ever seen .Can't see these sexy studs wearin em. No no no!.

Ah, ok I understand now.

Could see them in black satin though.

Oh jesus....Jake and Heath in black satin :d) :d) :d) :d) :d) :d) :d) :d) :d)

He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline aintfoolin

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Gender: Female
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #55 on: Aug 08, 2006, 03:45 PM »
Yes, soft black satin, cowboy hats and a smile. Imagine it ifyou will. BLISS.
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #56 on: Aug 08, 2006, 03:58 PM »
Yes, soft black satin, cowboy hats and a smile. Imagine it ifyou will. BLISS.

Oxygen....I need oxygen..... :d) :d) :P :P :d) :d)
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline aintfoolin

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Gender: Female
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #57 on: Aug 08, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Seriousy though even if these were avaiiable Ennis probably could not afford them anyway. But Jack could've . Nice thought though. I can dream can't I?
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #58 on: Aug 08, 2006, 04:04 PM »
Sure 'nuff. As long as you keep sharing your dreams ;D

You know, it's bedtime here....pretty sure you can guess what I'm going to be dreaming about tonight ;) :c) (you just have to imagine that last smiley wearing black silk boxers!)
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline Patriot1

  • BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2527
  • Gender: Male
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
Re: Ennis's Pajama - Spoiler
« Reply #59 on: Aug 08, 2006, 04:48 PM »

Damn women! Turning our rough and tumble cowboys into silk and satin wearing pansies.   :8

Real men wore ugly old pajama bottoms in the winter.   :8



Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.