Author Topic: Quotes  (Read 291796 times)

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Quotes
« Reply #390 on: May 05, 2006, 02:19 AM »
I'm with Patriot1 on this - he seems to stumble a little as he comes out of the tent but he's not walking like someone who's in pain in any way. I think he's probably got up pretty quick - he wakes up to realise that Ennis isn't there, hears Ennis outside saddling up the horse, and so gets up really fast to try and speak to him before he leaves - which would explain the unsteadiness as he comes out of the tent.
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline Koka

  • Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2364
  • Country: hr
  • Gender: Female
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
Re: Quotes
« Reply #391 on: May 21, 2006, 07:45 AM »
I'm with Patriot1 on this - he seems to stumble a little as he comes out of the tent but he's not walking like someone who's in pain in any way. I think he's probably got up pretty quick - he wakes up to realise that Ennis isn't there, hears Ennis outside saddling up the horse, and so gets up really fast to try and speak to him before he leaves - which would explain the unsteadiness as he comes out of the tent.

you know, I noticed the funny walk during my very first viewing but only because some idiots from behind me started laughing and saying stuff like 'haha, can you see the way he walks? f****** fag got all f***** up the ass'- they were absolutelly DISGUSTING!!!!!!
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline FlwrChild

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 18550
  • Gender: Female
Re: Quotes
« Reply #392 on: May 21, 2006, 11:12 AM »
Koka, I'm sorry you had such a negative theatre experience. I was lucky and always got very respectful audiences. Now to get us back on topic, of course there are so many good lines in this movie. But I have to admit I really feel for Jack when he says maybe he'll be back "...if the army don't get me." The desperate hope in his face and voice when he says he might be back, like he's telling Ennis 'I'll be here if you decide to come back'.
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Quotes
« Reply #393 on: May 21, 2006, 11:12 AM »
The lines that always get to me are Jack saying, "I did, once" when Ennis asks, "You got a better idea?" - sums up all the frustrated longing and unfulfilled hope he's felt.

And "See you in the mornin'" from the flashback - once the story comes back into the present you know there won't be another morning, ever, and that's the worst thing, that they're never going to get beyond this moment.

Offline Koka

  • Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2364
  • Country: hr
  • Gender: Female
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
Re: Quotes
« Reply #394 on: May 21, 2006, 01:26 PM »
Koka, I'm sorry you had such a negative theatre experience. I was lucky and always got very respectful audiences. Now to get us back on topic, of course there are so many good lines in this movie. But I have to admit I really feel for Jack when he says maybe he'll be back "...if the army don't get me." The desperate hope in his face and voice when he says he might be back, like he's telling Ennis 'I'll be here if you decide to come back'.

yeah, I had pretty bad movie experiences....my 6th viewing was particulary nasty- during the SNIT one guy started shouting 'this isn't normal? why doesn't anyone say something about this? how can this possibly be considered art? why don't you people SAY anything', some people started shouting back ( 'shut the f*** up or get out of the f****** movie theater' ), others began to laugh and I noticed 90% of the audience missed the scene where aguirre sees ennis&jack 'wrestling' ( my mom&best friend included ). my best movie experiences where the ones where there were aproximatelly 10-20 people in the movie theater.

sorry for getting OT, now to get back on topic: speaking of quotes and jack's sad looks- I DIE of sadness when he says 'see you for supper' after the FNIT and looks at Ennis with utter sadness and longing in his big, blue, puppy dog eyes. that scene really brings tears to my eyes. :\'(
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline Stephie

  • you have no idea how bad it gets!
  • Cassie
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Gender: Female
Re: Quotes
« Reply #395 on: May 29, 2006, 07:26 PM »
Other great quotes that I'm obsessed with are:

If you can't fix it Jack you gotta stand it..
Fer how long?
Fer as long as we can ride it.. their ain't no reins on this one..

Jack and Ennis
If you can't fix it Jack you gotta stand it..
Fer how long?
Fer as long as we can ride it.. their ain't no reins on this one..
                    Jack + Ennis

Offline jimnick

  • Jack
  • *****
  • Posts: 773
  • Gender: Male
Re: Quotes
« Reply #396 on: May 30, 2006, 08:51 AM »
...you girls need a push?

Offline hpv

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 13304
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
Re: Quotes
« Reply #397 on: May 30, 2006, 08:57 AM »
Alma Jr., Age 13: Daddy, tell about when you rode broncs in the rodeo.
Ennis Del Mar: Short story honey. Only 'bout three seconds I was on that bronc. Next thing I knew, I was flyin' through the air... only I wasn't no angel like you and Jenny here; didn't have no wings. And that's the story of my saddle bronc career.  #)

I find the moments with his daughters so touching,you can relay  feel, how much he loves and adores them!!
The expression on his face when he asks them if they need a push...
]And in the end with Alma's sweater,so gentle ,
how he carefully folds it ,and then smells it like when he finds the shirts in Jack's closet...sigh 
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2006, 12:36 PM by hpv »
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline Koka

  • Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2364
  • Country: hr
  • Gender: Female
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
Re: Quotes
« Reply #398 on: May 31, 2006, 12:59 PM »
...you girls need a push?

'...or somethin'  ;D

Man, I love that quote....and the way they say 'nooooooo'- always brings a smile on my face.
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Quotes
« Reply #399 on: Jun 01, 2006, 06:02 PM »
...you girls need a push?

'...or somethin'  ;D

Man, I love that quote....and the way they say 'nooooooo'- always brings a smile on my face.

I'm sitting here reading all these quotes and just almost crying -- "I did, once," "...if the Army don't get me," "See you in the morning," etc.  But this one makes me smile.  I, too, totally adore Ennis's love for his daughters.  And not only here, their "nooooo," but in most of their scenes, they speak together -- it's darling.  Like when they're in the truck and meet Jack (after the divorce) (I want to cry again), they say hello in unison there, too.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Quotes
« Reply #400 on: Jun 01, 2006, 06:14 PM »
For some reason, Jack's "see ya for supper" after the first night in the tent gets to me.  He comes wobbling out of that tent, shirt untucked, and walking funny (he did think to put his hat on, though  ;D).  Then he says the line, hoping it's not over.  The expression on Jack's face reads a thousand different emotions:  longing, worry, concern, hope, shame, love, lust, etc.  Love the scenes on BBM--wish they never left!  ;D

You know, that is the first thing I looked for when Jack comes out of the tent...did he walk funny.  I could never see that he did.  When he comes out of the tent he does "wobble" some but that is because he just woke up, not because he was sore or anything like that.  Or at least that is the way I took it.

I thought he walked funny for the obvious reason, but what do I know?  I guess it's as likely he was just stumbling out, had just woken up.  But yes, it's so tragic, he says, "See you for dinner," and Ennis says nothing!  Just gut-wrenching.  But then...when Ennis comes up on the hillside...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline frances

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 5153
  • Gender: Female
Re: Quotes
« Reply #401 on: Jun 01, 2006, 09:20 PM »
"Brokeback got us good, don't it"

Just because I feel the same about this movie
My candle burns at both ends / It will not last the night / But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends / It gives a lovely light (Edna St. Vincent Millay)

Offline Koka

  • Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2364
  • Country: hr
  • Gender: Female
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
Re: Quotes
« Reply #402 on: Jun 02, 2006, 03:56 AM »
"Brokeback got us good, don't it"

Just because I feel the same about this movie


yep, same here....  :\'(
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline FlwrChild

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 18550
  • Gender: Female
Re: Quotes
« Reply #403 on: Jun 02, 2006, 11:08 AM »
"Brokeback got us good, don't it"

Just because I feel the same about this movie


yep, same here....  :\'(


That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline hpv

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 13304
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
Re: Quotes
« Reply #404 on: Jun 17, 2006, 02:13 PM »
"Brokeback got us good, don't it"

Just because I feel the same about this movie


yep, same here....  :'(


That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?
It's sums it up perfectly, I think it's a classical movie..IMHO
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline Twisted

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 17835
  • Gender: Female
  • "Ain't no reins on this one"
Re: Quotes
« Reply #405 on: Jun 20, 2006, 05:04 PM »
It's because of you, Jack, that i'm like this. :\'( :\'(
The most difficult scene was the paragraph where, on the mountain, Ennis holds Jack and rocks back and forth, humming, the moment mixed with childhood loss and his refusal to admit he was holding a man.

- Annie Proulx -



From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood, Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking.

Offline hpv

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 13304
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
Re: Quotes
« Reply #406 on: Jun 21, 2006, 08:27 AM »
Just now,my favorite one....
Little darlin'
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline jesseanne21

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3233
  • Gender: Female
  • Never enough time, never enough
Re: Quotes
« Reply #407 on: Jun 21, 2006, 04:14 PM »
I hate to be trite but my favorite line from the movie is:

"Sometime I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."  I think I have worn a groove in my DVD because I have played that scene so much.  I just love to see Jack's face, hear his voice as he says it.

My favorite quote from the short story is from the reunion scene:  "then, and easily as the right key turns the lock tumblers, their mouths came together, and hard."
[they were] both high school dropout country boys with no prospects, brought up to hard work and privation, both rough-mannered, rough-spoken, inured to the stoic life.   

(BBM short story)

Offline gimmejack

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 331
  • Gender: Female
Re: Quotes
« Reply #408 on: Jun 28, 2006, 05:30 AM »
My favorite..."Besides, he's cheatin us out of a whole months pay"
Translation=he's cheating us out of one more month together...i'm not ready to let you go Jack!  :\'(
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law."
~Boethius~

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Quotes
« Reply #409 on: Jun 28, 2006, 06:48 AM »
Mine is still "Long as we can ride it - ain't no reins on this one"

Translation - I want to keep seeing you for as long as we can, because I've never had feelings this strong before and I can't stop them.

 <^( :\'(
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Quotes
« Reply #410 on: Jun 28, 2006, 01:30 PM »
Mine is still "Long as we can ride it - ain't no reins on this one"

Translation - I want to keep seeing you for as long as we can, because I've never had feelings this strong before and I can't stop them.

 <^( :\'(

I love Ennis saying this.  This is a lot more open than is usual for him.  Compare to "Uhdunno" in the motel scene.  Even though your "translation" is what he really means, what he actually says is very much a declaration of love to Jack, in an Ennis kind of way. 

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline hpv

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 13304
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
Re: Quotes
« Reply #411 on: Jun 28, 2006, 04:09 PM »
 
Jack, I swear...     :\'(
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline bubbaluna

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6299
  • Gender: Male
  • "Every Ennis needs a Jack"
Re: Quotes
« Reply #412 on: Jun 29, 2006, 03:30 AM »
Just now,my favorite one....
Little darlin'

That is precisely the one endearment that Ennis really pays Jack in the book and should have paid him in the movie.....It is SO Ennis and captures how Ennis feels about Jack without getting mushy, sentimental or sugary....I love it
If you want something in life...don't frustrate yourself...take it.....

Offline hpv

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 13304
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
Re: Quotes
« Reply #413 on: Jun 29, 2006, 08:29 AM »
Just now,my favorite one....
Little darlin'

That is precisely the one endearment that Ennis really pays Jack in the book and should have paid him in the movie.....It is SO Ennis and captures how Ennis feels about Jack without getting mushy, sentimental or sugary....I love it
:-*
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Quotes
« Reply #414 on: Jul 03, 2006, 05:29 AM »
We was good friends.

Says it all and says nothing.


Offline CrimsonSky

  • Jack
  • *****
  • Posts: 920
  • Gender: Female
  • just like this always...
Re: Quotes
« Reply #415 on: Jul 03, 2006, 08:49 AM »
We was good friends.

Says it all and says nothing.



That reminds me of another one, in the same vein, "I feel awful bad about Jack, I can't begin to tell you how bad I feel"  :\'( Of course, he couldn't tell Jack's parents how bad he felt, and why, even though they knew anyway, and in Jack's mum's case, she understood.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Quotes
« Reply #416 on: Jul 05, 2006, 09:12 AM »
It seems a pity that his face, which is so expressive of loss and grief, is facing the awful John Twist rahter than Jack's mother, who seems able to read him whereas John Twist wouldn;t recognise an emotion if one dropped on him from a great height.

Offline jeffjoe

  • My name is Joe... Jeff Joe
  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1756
  • Gender: Male
  • The magic is in us here...
Re: Quotes
« Reply #417 on: Jul 05, 2006, 11:22 PM »
JACK: Anything interesting up there in heaven?
ENNIS: I was just sending up a prayer of thanks...
I know Ennis try to tell something more to Jack, maybe he try to say "thanks for bring me to life again" :t)
Nunca me alejo, mas allá de una mirada...

Offline gimmejack

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 331
  • Gender: Female
Re: Quotes
« Reply #418 on: Jul 06, 2006, 05:11 AM »
JACK: Anything interesting up there in heaven?
ENNIS: I was just sending up a prayer of thanks...
I know Ennis try to tell something more to Jack, maybe he try to say "thanks for bring me to life again" :t)
Jack knew that's exactly what Ennis meant which is why the proposal came next!
"Who would give a law to lovers? Love is unto itself a higher law."
~Boethius~

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Quotes
« Reply #419 on: Jul 06, 2006, 06:05 AM »
And he's making a joke, making Jack laugh - which brings them straight back into the rlationship they had when they wer herding sheep.