Author Topic: So long BBM in US theaters :-(  (Read 13536 times)

Offline dalemidex

• Alma
  • Friend that's more words than you spoke in 2 weeks
So long BBM in US theaters :-(
« on: May 18, 2006, 02:41 PM »
If the Showtimes link on IMDB is correct, tonight marks the end of Brokeback's continuous run in US theaters.  The last theater showing it, Market Square in Madison, Wisconsin, has showings at 7:00pm and 9:40pm.  After that 9:40 showing ends, there will be noplace in the entire USA to see Brokeback on the big screen.

This day had to come, but it doesn't make it less sad!

I was fortunate enough to duck out of work and see the last matinee in that very theater a week ago today.  If only I had the time tonight I'd head over that way, but it's about 90 minutes from where I live and it just doesn't work.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: So long BBM in US theaters :-(
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 02:44 PM »
 :'( :'( Bye bye BBM. But look at the brighter side, BBM is now in many US homes and most importantly in our hearts.

Thanks, delamidex for the update. I am sure one day BBM will return to the big theatre.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 03:40 PM »
Oh, dalemidex, somehow that makes me sad......... But thanks for the info.

Ethan : true, it will forever remain in our hearts, and after death too.

mariodelmar

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 11:33 PM »
Hi everyone,

FYI, there are showings of BBM in a few theaters across the US in June. 

June 2-4 Hutchinson, KS - The Fox Theater
June 12-14 San Francisco, CA - The Castro Theater
June 29  Atlanta, GA - The Fox Theater

All three theaters are older theaters that have been beautifully renovated.  If you're in those areas, you should look them up.  Both Fox theaters boast the largest screen in their states!  I think because of the love for BBM, there will be revivals of this beautiful movie every now and then.

Offline Surya

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 12:52 AM »
I had the same feelings when Brokeback left the Calcutta theatres. It was the last place in India where BBM was still playing in theatres. :(
Surya

Offline stephan

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 03:38 AM »
Hi everyone,

(...)

Hello, mariodelmar. What a lovely name you have.  :)

Thanks for the information. You've brightened my day.

Offline Brokeback_Ca

• Lureen
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 05:09 AM »

I think because of the love for BBM, there will be revivals of this beautiful movie every now and then.
  Thank you Mariodelmar. That made my day. I'll go to the Castro Theater. It will be a great crowd there. I may have to go 2 nights  :)I have only seen Brokeback on DVD.
The fact is: That Brokeback Mountain has helped to change the world.  We can change the world.  We really can.  We really are.  When the world is made better for one gay or lesbian person, it's better for everyone.    Ang Lee

Offline Surya

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 08:35 AM »

I think because of the love for BBM, there will be revivals of this beautiful movie every now and then.
  Thank you Mariodelmar. That made my day. I'll go to the Castro Theater. It will be a great crowd there. I may have to go 2 nights  :)I have only seen Brokeback on DVD.

Only on DVD?? Then you *MUST* go! It's a different experience altogether. And don't forget to tell us your movie theatre experience. I envy you...the feeling of seeing Brokeback on the big screen for the first time! I wish I could turn back time and go back to the day when I first saw it in the theatres!

Surya

Offline Koka

• Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 02:17 PM »

Only on DVD?? Then you *MUST* go! It's a different experience altogether. And don't forget to tell us your movie theatre experience. I envy you...the feeling of seeing Brokeback on the big screen for the first time! I wish I could turn back time and go back to the day when I first saw it in the theatres!

I agree!!! Brokeback is a movie one  MUST  see in the theater. it's just so grand and epic......and it gets you even more!
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 06:36 PM »

I agree!!! Brokeback is a movie one  MUST  see in the theater. it's just so grand and epic......and it gets you even more!

I agree too, seeing it on a big screen is a unique experience. I will NEVER forget my first viewing  :'(
I think too that there will be some theaters showing BBM sometimes because of its success, but currently is definitely a page of history which is turned... no more BBM in theaters....  :'( :'(
"Texans don't drink coffee?"

Offline Koka

• Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 03:34 AM »

I agree too, seeing it on a big screen is a unique experience. I will NEVER forget my first viewing  :'(
I think too that there will be some theaters showing BBM sometimes because of its success, but currently is definitely a page of history which is turned... no more BBM in theaters....  :'( :'(

when it comes to theater viewings, I will never forget my 4th- it was sunday, 2 p.m., me and like, 6 other people in the theater....and after weeks of being down, hurt and emotionally destroyed, I had a TOTAL catharsis after that viewing. that was the first time I managed to find and see beauty in tragedy....the first time I managed to feel happy for being able to be a part of such an amazing story/piece of cinema and to feel joy because of the love ennis&jack had.
my first theater viewing was kinda torturing actually- I had even got to the point where I didn't feel able to either breath or move....and I cried my freakin' heart out resulting in tormented sleep and way to much booze the following day. :'( yep, brokeback got me good.
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 04:59 PM »
No More Theatre Viewings in U.S?

Thats not true,

Theres a theatre that plays BBM everyday! It's your DVD player and Television!!  ;D ;)
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 05:42 PM »
heres a theatre that plays BBM everyday! It's your DVD player and Television!!  ;D ;)

It ain't like the giant sizes of Ennis and Jack right in front of you. But I know what you mean, I_D.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline horsewrangler

• Alma Jr.
  • horse wrangler
« Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2006, 10:42 PM »
The Fox Theater in Atlanta, will be showing Brokeback Mountain at 8PM on June 29th.  If you're in the area, this will be another oppportunity to see it in one of Atlantas most beautiful theaters.
His chest was heaving. He could smell Jack-the intensely familiar odor of cigarettes, musky sweat and a faint sweetness like grass, and with it the rushing cold of the mountain.     Annie Proulx

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #14 on: Jun 06, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Thanks for posting adrian_delmar and welcome to ennisjack.com  :)

I wish I'd be in Atlanta  ^*)

May I suggest we all keep an eye on our local Art Theater's programs and post any big screen warning?  BBM will come back for sure on big screen, I miss it so much   :-[ :-\\ :\'( :\'(
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Brokeback_Ca

• Lureen
« Reply #15 on: Jun 09, 2006, 07:32 AM »

Well, I bought my tickets for Brokeback Mountain next week at the Castro Theater. I keep forgetting and then remembering and get excited! I also remember how incredibly moved I was after seeing BBM on DVD for the 1st time. I wonder if the message of BBM is so powerful that it transcends the medium. I was hit so hard it laid me out for a week at least and I haven't been the same since. In any case I will be seeing it in a real theater at last and will certainly be blown away again. I hope the love for this movie and its still growing fanbase will keep it showing in repertory for a long time. Thanks, everybody. Wish all you guys had tickets too!
The fact is: That Brokeback Mountain has helped to change the world.  We can change the world.  We really can.  We really are.  When the world is made better for one gay or lesbian person, it's better for everyone.    Ang Lee

Offline lokyi

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2011, 10:11 AM »
last week was my first time to watch BBM.....(at television)

love it so much...

i really regret that i did not watch it when it showed in 2006 in Hong Kong!!!!

now i  can only enjoy the movie on DVD...

i really want to see BBM on the big screen in cinema.....><

will it be possible someday?
BBM- love of my life