Author Topic: What's your favorite line/quotation from the Short Story??  (Read 85231 times)

Offline WildCatIsle

• Joy, that near to me remains
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I'm sorry (I love you) It's alright (I love you)
Re: What's your favorite line/quotation from the Short Story??
« Reply #180 on: Oct 10, 2010, 05:00 PM »
The SS is full of poetry, is hard to pick a sentence or line. Two of my favorites:

"Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken light, thought he'd Never Had Such a good time, felt
Could I paw the white out of the moon"

"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor
understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had
come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying
some shared and sexless hunger"

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #181 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:54 AM »
The SS is full of poetry, is hard to pick a sentence or line. Two of my favorites:

"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor
understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had
come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying
some shared and sexless hunger"

I agree there are so many beautiful passages in the SS, so it's hard to choose, but this one has always stood out to me...
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline yuddy

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #182 on: Feb 09, 2011, 02:14 PM »
"Without getting up he threw deadwood on the fire, the sparks flying up with their truths and lies, a few hot points of fire landing on their hands and faces, not for the first time, and they rolled down into the dirt. One thing never changed: the brilliant charge of their infrequent couplings was darkened by the sense of time flying, never enough time, never enough."

Their truths and lies...

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #183 on: Feb 10, 2011, 06:37 AM »
Great quote, yuddy. One of the finest.  Thanks and welcome.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline BBMsheep

• Jack + Ennis
  • Little Darlin'
« Reply #184 on: Apr 12, 2012, 01:22 PM »
Sorry, I can't pick just one line!

"The hudge sadness of the northern plains rolled down on him."

"He lets a panel of the dream slide forward. If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong."

"And he would wake sometimes in grief, sometimes with the old sense of joy and release, the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets."

"He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack, but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands."

Not to mention the dozy embrace... Damn, just writing those lines is heart-breaking.
It could be like this - just like this - always

Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives. Annie Proulx

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #185 on: Apr 13, 2012, 12:31 PM »
Sorry, I can't pick just one line!

"The hudge sadness of the northern plains rolled down on him."

"He lets a panel of the dream slide forward. If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong."

"And he would wake sometimes in grief, sometimes with the old sense of joy and release, the pillow sometimes wet, sometimes the sheets."

"He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack, but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands."

Not to mention the dozy embrace... Damn, just writing those lines is heart-breaking.

I love all these quotes. The one about Ennis finding the shirts and trying to catch Jack's scent on them is beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time. It squeezes my heart every time I read it.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline Kemmer

• Ennis
  • Ennis and Jack and The Mountain changed me forever
« Reply #186 on: Sep 21, 2013, 12:16 AM »
Every full moon since 2006, I have looked up at the moon and recited Ennis's words from Annie's story:

"Thought he'd never had such a good time; felt he could paw the white out of the moon."   :_(
Tell ya what...truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.