Author Topic: Wide or Full Screen version of DVD?  (Read 19892 times)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
Re: Wide or Full Screen version of DVD?
« Reply #30 on: Apr 08, 2006, 06:22 AM »
Can anyone tell me which version is on sale at amazon.co.uk? Coz Im not sure which one I ordered. :-\
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline gambrinus

• Alma Jr.
  • Gone, but never forgotten
« Reply #31 on: Apr 08, 2006, 08:40 AM »
It'll almost certainly (99.9999%) be the widescreen version. Very few movies get released as both WS and FS versions in the UK.

Large was his bounty, and his soul sincere,
Heaven did a recompense as largely send:
He gave to Misery (all he had) a tear,
He gained from Heaven ('twas all he wished) a friend.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #32 on: Apr 08, 2006, 11:17 AM »
It'll almost certainly (99.9999%) be the widescreen version. Very few movies get released as both WS and FS versions in the UK.

Thankx

Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline lamusica

• Ennis
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2006, 11:48 AM »
I've always preferred the wide screen version of DVD's, but I bought the full screen DVD of BBM and I love it.  The color is so rich and the scenes, though not so wide in scope, focus in on the characters so well.  Some scenes seem like a close-up version of the film.  I love it.  Lamusica
"Let's put a SSSSMILE on your faceeee!"

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2006, 12:49 PM »
Does anyone know if they are coming out with the "special addition" soon, what with more comments etc.
I figure they will as a marketing thing. 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2006, 11:04 PM »
Does anyone know if they are coming out with the "special addition" soon, what with more comments etc.
I figure they will as a marketing thing. 

If they ever do... I doubt they will, I don't think Ang Lee will go for it.

Anyways if it ever happens, my bet is for next Christmas.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 01:57 AM »
OMG, I just ran both the FS and WS versions of the movie side by side on my 2 computers and noticed that a lot of the top and bottom are missing from the WS version.  There's only trivial truncation on the sides in the FS version, but you see so much more in the top and bottom portions of the FS version!  For example, you can see Ennis' wedding ring on his hand in the motel scene, more of Jack's furry chest, you can see what Ennis is cooking at the campsite, you can see a lot more of their legs and head in a lot of the scenes, more of the mountains and water, etc etc.  I thought I was missing a lot in the FS version (thinking that the sides were just truncated and the picture zoomed to fill the screen), but now that I've made the comparison, I'll be watching the FS version from now on!!!

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 12:44 PM »
dirtbiker, thanks for the insights.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2006, 04:03 PM »
OMG, I just ran both the FS and WS versions of the movie side by side on my 2 computers and noticed that a lot of the top and bottom are missing from the WS version.  There's only trivial truncation on the sides in the FS version, but you see so much more in the top and bottom portions of the FS version!  For example, you can see Ennis' wedding ring on his hand in the motel scene, more of Jack's furry chest, you can see what Ennis is cooking at the campsite, you can see a lot more of their legs and head in a lot of the scenes, more of the mountains and water, etc etc.  I thought I was missing a lot in the FS version (thinking that the sides were just truncated and the picture zoomed to fill the screen), but now that I've made the comparison, I'll be watching the FS version from now on!!!

I definitely have to find a way to get the fullscreen DVD !!!!  :P
"Texans don't drink coffee?"

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2006, 04:05 PM »
I will try and get some sample screen caps showing the comparisons.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2006, 06:26 PM »
Thank you all.  I'm so glad this thread was on here, because I hadn't studied the DVD situation well enough to know there would be advantages to the FS version.  I thought the FS version was just the right and left sides cut off, like to fit an old-style-now TV screen.  So I looked at the examples with much interest, and have passed it on to others I know who thought they had the definitive version with the WS version.  I ordered through Dave Cullen's site, via Amazon, and some proceeds go to his site.  Can't wait to watch it!

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
« Reply #41 on: Jun 08, 2006, 03:07 PM »
Well I've changed my mind on FS DVDs! I still prefer WS, but on a computer the FS is much better, the image is bigger, and we can see lots of details on the bottom. Love it!  <^(
"Texans don't drink coffee?"

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #42 on: Jun 14, 2006, 09:18 PM »
Here's just one example where full-screen version is better than wide-screen.  In the morning after the FNIT, when Ennis sits up and pulls his pants up, we get to see bare flesh!  Yum...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline Valandil Eluch

• Brokie by heart
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Love have no face or gender is a Force of Nature
« Reply #43 on: Jun 14, 2006, 09:21 PM »
I got both versions and both are good for me
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline bram

• Jack
« Reply #44 on: Jun 14, 2006, 10:15 PM »
Here's just one example where full-screen version is better than wide-screen.  In the morning after the FNIT, when Ennis sits up and pulls his pants up, we get to see bare flesh!  Yum...

kathy

How would you only see that in full screen? Widescreen shows all that full screen does plus more.
Dog Canyon, Texas is the most beautiful place in the world. You should check it out.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #45 on: Jun 14, 2006, 11:23 PM »

kathy

How would you only see that in full screen? Widescreen shows all that full screen does plus more.

No.  See dirtbiker's reply #36 above.  I always thought that, too, that Fullscreen was Widescreen with left and right parts cut off.  But Widescreen has some top and bottom cut off, so you see new things on Fullscreen.  Isn't that a trip?  That there is a version with more than what you see at the movies?

Where are those example-diagrams?  Are they on this thread, page 1?

kathy

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #46 on: Jun 15, 2006, 01:28 AM »

Offline ms.bluesky

• Lureen
« Reply #47 on: Jul 14, 2006, 06:26 PM »
i think the full version is better
:..i miss you so much i cant hardly stand it...:

Offline KillRoy1972

• Alma Jr.
  • The shadow of your presence still haunts me
« Reply #48 on: Jul 29, 2006, 05:41 PM »
Get the widescreen, this is how the director intended the public to see the movie.Eventhough you get more with the fullscreen, the material you see was not meant to be seen in the first place (sometimes you will see microphones and things)

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #49 on: Jul 30, 2006, 12:14 AM »
Get the widescreen, this is how the director intended the public to see the movie.Eventhough you get more with the fullscreen, the material you see was not meant to be seen in the first place (sometimes you will see microphones and things)

Good point, killroy.  Thanks.  I do like having both, though -- the fullscreen one good for some screencaps, such as tent scenes.

kathy

Offline ranchgal

• Lureen
« Reply #50 on: Jul 30, 2006, 09:41 PM »
I have both too--The director may wanted the panoramic, but I want the guys-and while the widescreen may give you a few more clouds and trees, if you want more Ennis and Jack go fullscreen---you are so much closer to them. I love mine, and watch the fullscreen probably 3 out of 4 viewings compared to the widescreen.    you don't see any more mic cords in the fullscreen than you do on the widescreen in this movie anyway.

The dvd they are releasing soon, the new version, isn't new, from what I can gather, it has a photo gallery added to it, and it comes with the book and something else---not a big something either, but it doesn't have any more deleted scenes, or commentary than the first one had.  At least that is what I have read from someone who had seen the jacket and read off the contents.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #51 on: Jul 30, 2006, 11:10 PM »
I have both too--The director may wanted the panoramic, but I want the guys-and while the widescreen may give you a few more clouds and trees, if you want more Ennis and Jack go fullscreen---you are so much closer to them. I love mine, and watch the fullscreen probably 3 out of 4 viewings compared to the widescreen.    you don't see any more mic cords in the fullscreen than you do on the widescreen in this movie anyway.

The dvd they are releasing soon, the new version, isn't new, from what I can gather, it has a photo gallery added to it, and it comes with the book and something else---not a big something either, but it doesn't have any more deleted scenes, or commentary than the first one had.  At least that is what I have read from someone who had seen the jacket and read off the contents.

Darn -- I didn't know anything about a new version actually.  I'll want to get it of course, but it still isn't as much as I would like to have...

Actually, t hough, I totally have to respect any director choosing to keep his deleted scenes to himself.  But I'm thinking, if the stills are from the deleted scenes, then that's a good compromise.  I'll be happy with that, and Ang will be happy, presumably.

kathy

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #52 on: Jul 30, 2006, 11:10 PM »

Darn -- I didn't know anything about a new version actually.  I'll want to get it of course, but it still isn't as much as I would like to have...

Actually, though, I totally have to respect any director choosing to keep his deleted scenes to himself.  But I'm thinking, if the stills are from the deleted scenes, then that's a good compromise.  I'll be happy with that, and Ang will be happy, presumably.

kathy

Offline KillRoy1972

• Alma Jr.
  • The shadow of your presence still haunts me
« Reply #53 on: Aug 02, 2006, 04:10 AM »
Oh well,  I just have to wait a little more. The DVD will be released over here September 29th :o

It will be a bouble DVD though...