Author Topic: Are Heath & Jake the ones you have in mind as Ennis & Jack? --possible spoiler--  (Read 40932 times)

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Well, she said that it was not what she had excepted.  :)


Offline hippiewannabe

  • Born too late
  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1445
  • Gender: Female
  • You're never too old to be a child at heart.
What I find interesting is how the actors' personalities are similar in many ways to those of the characters.  When I saw them on Oprah, Jake came across as more outgoing and talkative, smiled more, and seemed to embody Jack - the idealist, the dreamer.  Whereas Heath was very shy, just like Ennis, and a person of very few words.  The best relationships are made up of a yin and a yang - two opposites that come together to create a whole.  Once I read the ss I could alter the actors' appearances slightly in my imagination but not much.  They both did a superb job and deserved Oscars IMO.  Didn't I read somewhere that when Annie Proulx signed Heath's copy of the screenplay she wrote "to Ennis" instead of "to Heath" and then kept it that way because she said he WAS Ennis as she had imagined him?  Now that's high praise.
"You may be a sinner but I ain't yet had the opportunity." ;)

Offline smartestsonia

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1022
  • Gender: Female
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
What I find interesting is how the actors' personalities are similar in many ways to those of the characters.  When I saw them on Oprah, Jake came across as more outgoing and talkative, smiled more, and seemed to embody Jack - the idealist, the dreamer.  Whereas Heath was very shy, just like Ennis, and a person of very few words.  The best relationships are made up of a yin and a yang - two opposites that come together to create a whole.  Once I read the ss I could alter the actors' appearances slightly in my imagination but not much.  They both did a superb job and deserved Oscars IMO.  Didn't I read somewhere that when Annie Proulx signed Heath's copy of the screenplay she wrote "to Ennis" instead of "to Heath" and then kept it that way because she said he WAS Ennis as she had imagined him?  Now that's high praise.
I loved your post..Its so true..Thanks Hippiewannabe  ^f^ :)

Offline smartestsonia

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1022
  • Gender: Female
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
Interesting question and topic Ethan.
I have watched the film too many times before reading the book. As I have watched the film so many times and have seen so many videos of Ennis and Jack on youtube.com previously, in my mind Ennis and Jack were always Heath and Jake…

When I finally read the book even I noticed the part where it is mentioned that Jack had curly hair and other descriptions which were honestly different from the physical appearance of Heath and Jake…However, I ignored that part because to me Heath and Jake were so strongly interpreting as Ennis and Jack that the physical appearance part did not matter at all to me…

They brought life to Ennis and Jack..It feells like Ennis and Jake lived and we all have been a witness to their lives..

I think that the power of Heath’s and Jake’s performance mesmerized me so much that I can see Ennis and Jack in them and they will always be my “Ennis and “Jack”
 $) <^( :f)

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
What I find interesting is how the actors' personalities are similar in many ways to those of the characters.  When I saw them on Oprah, Jake came across as more outgoing and talkative, smiled more, and seemed to embody Jack - the idealist, the dreamer.  Whereas Heath was very shy, just like Ennis, and a person of very few words.  The best relationships are made up of a yin and a yang - two opposites that come together to create a whole.  Once I read the ss I could alter the actors' appearances slightly in my imagination but not much.  They both did a superb job and deserved Oscars IMO.  Didn't I read somewhere that when Annie Proulx signed Heath's copy of the screenplay she wrote "to Ennis" instead of "to Heath" and then kept it that way because she said he WAS Ennis as she had imagined him?  Now that's high praise.

I think both of them put a great deal of their real selves into their characters.  In a way, it affected both of them deeply.  Whether or not they embody the characters of the ss as Proulx envisioned it, I think both of them have now made it their own.

I should note again Proulx's comment that Jake's realization of Jack Twist was not exactly what she envisioned --an admission that the more emotive Jack Twist owed more to Jake's characterization more than to Proulx herself.   As I have said before, those of us who know all of Jake's roles throughout the years recognize Jack Twist as coming from a line of great emotive (and, frequently, disturbed) characters.   Jack in the movie owes more to Jake's Art than to anything else -- and Proulx recognized it as such.


Offline smartestsonia

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1022
  • Gender: Female
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
I think both of them put a great deal of their real selves into their characters.  In a way, it affected both of them deeply.  Whether or not they embody the characters of the ss as Proulx envisioned it, I think both of them have now made it their own.

I should note again Proulx's comment that Jake's realization of Jack Twist was not exactly what she envisioned --an admission that the more emotive Jack Twist owed more to Jake's characterization more than to Proulx herself.   As I have said before, those of us who know all of Jake's roles throughout the years recognize Jack Twist as coming from a line of great emotive (and, frequently, disturbed) characters.   Jack in the movie owes more to Jake's Art than to anything else -- and Proulx recognized it as such.


I think that it is a great compliment for Jake from Annie...Jake got a more sensitive and emotional dimension to Jack’s Character. I think an Artist can really add his own contribution to the Character making the Character more versatile and technically adding his own vulnerabilities and strengths to the Character…Jake has given us a Jack that feels so real..He has contributed his own emotional expression to the Character with whom we can relate to...Its not just a character from a story but it is like he was a real person who loved Ennis…I can never imagine Jack as anyone else but Jake…Am in love with him...What touches me the most is the combination of passion as well as warmth and he speaks through his eyes, gestures and words…

Heath was just perfect for Ennis…He understood Ennis too well and he was simply marvelous in that role

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
I think that it is a great compliment for Jake from Annie...Jake got a more sensitive and emotional dimension to Jack’s Character. I think an Artist can really add his own contribution to the Character making the Character more versatile and technically adding his own vulnerabilities and strengths to the Character…Jake has given us a Jack that feels so real..He has contributed his own emotional expression to the Character with whom we can relate to...Its not just a character from a story but it is like he was a real person who loved Ennis…I can never imagine Jack as anyone else but Jake…Am in love with him...What touches me the most is the combination of passion as well as warmth and he speaks through his eyes, gestures and words…

Heath was just perfect for Ennis…He understood Ennis too well and he was simply marvelous in that role


Well, I think Proulx and Diana understood the ss as a story primarily about Ennis -- in spite of the very beautiful valedictory Proulx werote for Jack clocse to the end of the movie (perhaps the only place in the ss where we really catch a glimpse of Jack's character).  Jake's portrayal changed the balance completely: it became a story about Ennis AND Jack.  Whereas Jack in the ss was very shadowy and obscure/mysterious, Jake's Jack is all flesh and blood -- body, sinews, and heart.  He enfleshed Jack in a way that was -- rightly -- completely his own.


Offline smartestsonia

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1022
  • Gender: Female
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
Well, I think Proulx and Diana understood the ss as a story primarily about Ennis -- in spite of the very beautiful valedictory Proulx werote for Jack clocse to the end of the movie (perhaps the only place in the ss where we really catch a glimpse of Jack's character).  Jake's portrayal changed the balance completely: it became a story about Ennis AND Jack.  Whereas Jack in the ss was very shadowy and obscure/mysterious, Jake's Jack is all flesh and blood -- body, sinews, and heart.  He enfleshed Jack in a way that was -- rightly -- completely his own.


Excellent observation…ya, the SS focuses on Ennis and mentions alot of things from Ennis perspective....And in the film Jack’s character shared an impactful screen space and it was not at all sidelined... I think Jake has done complete justice to the role and so Jack was as well observed and important in the film as Ennis..

The film showed the perspective of Ennis and Jack and we could relate to what was happening to both of them as we could see things from both point of views and so could empathize with both in different ways...The adapted screenplay was remarkable and did contribute to making Jack's Character more focused..

I also think it was Jake's natural acting skills and to completely submerge himself in Jack’s Character made a huge difference...






Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
It is also interesting to see the screenplay change over time.  The addition of so many scenes not explicitly mentioned in the ss was very creative and tastefully done.  One gets a sense of the protagonists being real flesh and blood.  It is true, nonetheless, that the character of jack needed a larger filling-in, given that we wasn't exactly as big a presence in the ss as he was in the movie...


Offline smartestsonia

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1022
  • Gender: Female
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
It is also interesting to see the screenplay change over time.  The addition of so many scenes not explicitly mentioned in the ss was very creative and tastefully done.  One gets a sense of the protagonists being real flesh and blood.  It is true, nonetheless, that the character of jack needed a larger filling-in, given that we wasn't exactly as big a presence in the ss as he was in the movie...


The addition of SNIT in the film was amazing..I think that added a different dimension to the film..It actually showed a very caring, emotional and gentle side of both of them..Even though we know that in the SS, adding the SNIT in the film made us more attracted towards it and made us see their emotional side more clearly...

I think that it was needed to show Jack in a bigger picture and that made the film more complete..I mean to say that Jack was a very important character as he was the reason why Ennis found true love and Ennis followed his heart and for whom Ennis broke all boundaries during FNIT and SNIT..In the movie it was very important to show things from Jacks' perspective too as that made the audience relate to the film for both of them...

Offline atalley

  • Jack
  • *****
  • Posts: 779
  • Gender: Female
  • "Jack, I swear."
I'm VERY thankful Ang picked them.  I know I wouldn't be interested in the way AP described them.  I don't think it would've worked for most women.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
The addition of SNIT in the film was amazing..I think that added a different dimension to the film..It actually showed a very caring, emotional and gentle side of both of them..Even though we know that in the SS, adding the SNIT in the film made us more attracted towards it and made us see their emotional side more clearly...

I think that it was needed to show Jack in a bigger picture and that made the film more complete..I mean to say that Jack was a very important character as he was the reason why Ennis found true love and Ennis followed his heart and for whom Ennis broke all boundaries during FNIT and SNIT..In the movie it was very important to show things from Jacks' perspective too as that made the audience relate to the film for both of them...

Yes, Ias I have said many times, BBM the film is much more lyrical than the ss, and I believe that Jack's character has a great deal to do with this.  And yes, Jack is much more important in the film than in the ss.  Jake's Jack complements Heath's Ennis most beautifully...


Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
I'm VERY thankful Ang picked them.  I know I wouldn't be interested in the way AP described them.  I don't think it would've worked for most women.

I think I understand what you mean here.  The visceral element in the ss would not have appealed to a lot of people had it been literally translated cinematically.  The genius of the director and writers was to know how to adapt it -- with the added lyrical and emotive touches, softening the effect, but not making the material any less powerful and compelling.


Offline smartestsonia

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1022
  • Gender: Female
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
Yes, Ias I have said many times, BBM the film is much more lyrical than the ss, and I believe that Jack's character has a great deal to do with this.  And yes, Jack is much more important in the film than in the ss.  Jake's Jack complements Heath's Ennis most beautifully...


I am glad that Jack was given a lot of importance in the film...It was required and I think that it made the film more complete…In the last scene when Ennis holds both the shirts it showed how much he loved and missed Jack...I think even that scene was as much as to do with Ennis and it was to do with Jack. I mean we think of both of them and not just Ennis...in that scene we keep Jack in our minds and just realize the extent of his love…At the same we also see how much Ennis loves him...so I think that the final scene belonged to both of them and shows both their perspective and emotions… the entire film was a real depiction of true and pure love between both of them…       
   

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
I think Heath and Jake embodied a less symbolic, more true-to-life Ennis and Jack.  I for one seem to think of them (in part, at least) as metaphors in the ss.  They stand for things bigger than themselves.  Jack in particular is intriguingly (as well as maddeningly) abstract in the ss.  The fleshing out of the characters do give us a feeling of something "in the round".  And yes, there is a completeness embodied -- not really in the symbolic level, but in the narrative sense.  We feel that in the film, we can and do get to know them as PERSONS.  That alone is an achievement.

Offline smartestsonia

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1022
  • Gender: Female
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
I think Heath and Jake embodied a less symbolic, more true-to-life Ennis and Jack.  I for one seem to think of them (in part, at least) as metaphors in the ss.  They stand for things bigger than themselves.  Jack in particular is intriguingly (as well as maddeningly) abstract in the ss.  The fleshing out of the characters do give us a feeling of something "in the round".  And yes, there is a completeness embodied -- not really in the symbolic level, but in the narrative sense.  We feel that in the film, we can and do get to know them as PERSONS.  That alone is an achievement.
I agree with ya, Thomas...We can feel them as alive and not a just 2 characters from a story…Jake and Heath related to Jack and Ennis too well. I think Heath literally lived the character of Ennis..Jake on the other hand did understand Jack too well and he gave a more emotional and versatile touch to the Character….I think that we actually see Ennis and Jack in front of our minds eye so many times and that picture is so well intact in our head and hearts...I cant imagine any other character or image except them both when I refer to BBM…The adaptation of the SS is simply brilliant…It is so touching that Jack and Ennis r too real for us and always will be..

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Which is why -- personally -- a remake will not work.  I can imagine them remaking this movie in the distant future.  Such a remake may be just as beautifully done, but perhaps it will be made for some future generation in a more enlightened time, who will not easily understand the world we live in and why this movie made the impact that it did.  Which is why I think Jake's and Heath's interpretations will always be appreciated -- because they knew and lived the times we are now in, and brought to their Art this fuller understanding, and how it spoke to us in a time of half-lights and shadows.


Offline smartestsonia

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1022
  • Gender: Female
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
Which is why -- personally -- a remake will not work.  I can imagine them remaking this movie in the distant future.  Such a remake may be just as beautifully done, but perhaps it will be made for some future generation in a more enlightened time, who will not easily understand the world we live in and why this movie made the impact that it did.  Which is why I think Jake's and Heath's interpretations will always be appreciated -- because they knew and lived the times we are now in, and brought to their Art this fuller understanding, and how it spoke to us in a time of half-lights and shadows.


I have never deeply thought about the remake...I think the future generation will be more open minded and tolerent towards Ennis and Jack..Ennis and Jack lived in a time where Homosexuality was treated as the worst offence...The 60's and 70's was a really bad time for many people like Ennis and Jack...It was a very extreme time..now in  the 21st century the genration is still orthodox ..I can still see injustice even in our times and that is why we understand their trials so well as we see this even now..we see so many people fighting for their rights even now  but I have to say that it is still better than the 60s and 70s...For. e.g in the film shelter , even though the Zack recieved criticim for being gay he eventually was able to have the courage and live the life the way he wanted to and it was comparactively safer as it would have been for Ennis and Jack as they were belonged to the 60's..Now the coming generation (after about 20 years) will be having a more human approach towards this and they will not have a complete picture of the pains and suffering  people went through previously as it will be a more liberal and broadminded generation.. people will be more empathic and less evaluative..they will see love breaking all barriers created by man....

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
I have asked myself sometimes whether BBM will appear dated to a more tolerant (and perhaps more jaded) generation of the future.  Will Heath and Jake appear to them as dated interpreters?

I tend to think NOT.  I think the representation of love is universal and timeless, and that both of them gave flesh to the love of Ennis and Jack that is also timeless and universal...

 

Offline smartestsonia

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1022
  • Gender: Female
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
I have asked myself sometimes whether BBM will appear dated to a more tolerant (and perhaps more jaded) generation of the future.  Will Heath and Jake appear to them as dated interpreters?

I tend to think NOT.  I think the representation of love is universal and timeless, and that both of them gave flesh to the love of Ennis and Jack that is also timeless and universal...

 
I think that Ennis and Jack will be admired and appreciated by many generations..I think that the future generations will be really sad to be how Ennis and jack were treated by the previous generations…they also would feel that earlier the approach towards such topics were not very human…I think that they will love Ennis and Jack and will empathize with them…We have felt the impact more though as we have actually seen all this happening around the world today but in future generations which I am hopeful will be more tolerant and open minded will see Ennis and jack as 2 great people in history and see their love as a symbol of selflessness and purity…


Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Certainly, you are right in the the sense that their interpretation of the characters will probably take these future viewers out of their comfort zones.  We, who are probably more desensitized to various forms of discrimination (as if some of us subconsciously still expect it), can only imagine how such a situation that confronted Ennis and Jack would look totally preposterous to the future generations.  It stands as a artifact to how much we as a society we still had to go.

vedrana

  • Guest
The characters of Jack and Ennis are the first roles of Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger I have ever seen. In fact, I first saw them in Oprah show where they introduced the movie. They were just "some American actors" for me at the time, even I found‘em both very cute. Wasn't even eager to watch the movie.  ~)

First time I saw the movie, I liked it a lot, but I skipped the beginning, cause I was not interested at all in this movie, so I turn to BBM only when some other film was over.

Months later Heath died so tragically (RIP  dear), and I felt for him.  :\'(

Anyway, second time the movie was on TV, I just fell a sleep in front of TV, woke up to watch AT THE VERY SAME PART as the first time – when Aguirre was watching them from the distance.

The next day I was curious how this two young man got involved at first time, and I found some clips from youtube. Very quickly I became addicted. As much it was hurtful, it was also necessary to see it. As much as I liked it, I also suffered. As much as I accepted, I also fought against it. My mind and my life become a big mess, but you already know it!  :ghug:

But let me go back to the theme – this is the first movie I saw two actors in. And they are the PERFECT Ennis & PERFECT Jack!

I think that they had that “something”, that very necessary charm and chemistry, that contrast between them, who put them perfectly together like yin and yang… even we don’t know who is yin, and who is yang, because they were never labeled woman- man characteristics!

If there is a remake one day, I believe it will never ever be so sweet and sour as this first movie is. The timing, the circumstances, the director, and above all - Jake and Heath - make this movie a master of masterpieces! That’s why Jake and Heath will always be Jack and Ennis in my mind!
 
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2008, 05:10 PM by loreen »

Offline myprivatejack

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 15750
  • Gender: Female
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
Beautiful post,Loreenˇ  :clap: BBM was also the first Heath and Jake's movie I'd never seen,so I admit that the identification has been stronger for this reason.But,moreover,the capacity of both actors of transforming themselves into their roles is so great that I suppose that nobody can really imagine others actors,as great as they could be,being Ennis and Jack.
Even if,mainly in Jakes case,his look is very different from the S.S. Jack,he gets to reinvent the character,putting a lot of himself,but you can never say; Look, he's Jake Gyllenhaal playing a cowboyˇ.He's like a completely different person from the very moment he wear his clothes-I don't know if this makes sense...-.And Heath is converting himself into Ennis Del Mar with a chameleon's capacity too,always transforming and adapting his character.In sum,I think they're so identified with Ennis and Jack that when Heath passed away,it was for me as if Ennis has gone too; tell me stupid,but it's what I felt... :\'(
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

vedrana

  • Guest
Beautiful post,Loreenˇ  :clap: BBM was also the first Heath and Jake's movie I'd never seen,so I admit that the identification has been stronger for this reason.But,moreover,the capacity of both actors of transforming themselves into their roles is so great that I suppose that nobody can really imagine others actors,as great as they could be,being Ennis and Jack.
Even if,mainly in Jakes case,his look is very different from the S.S. Jack,he gets to reinvent the character,putting a lot of himself,but you can never say; Look, he's Jake Gyllenhaal playing a cowboyˇ.He's like a completely different person from the very moment he wear his clothes-I don't know if this makes sense...-.And Heath is converting himself into Ennis Del Mar with a chameleon's capacity too,always transforming and adapting his character.In sum,I think they're so identified with Ennis and Jack that when Heath passed away,it was for me as if Ennis has gone too; tell me stupid,but it's what I felt... :\'(

Myprivatejack    :t)   ^f^ ,

I know what you mean, and I agree with you! About both of them!

I once wrote that BBM make me so so sad because after Heath died it seems like both of them are gone. Jack in the movie and Ennis in the life screenplay. :\'( :\'( :\'(

I've also read that Jake G. put a Heath's photo on the prison wall, when acting in a movie, in the same way prisoners put the photos of their beloved ones. Everyone found it hillarious! But now, when Heath's gone, it is not funny any more. 

Anyway it showes how these two guys were really attached to the roles of E&J!

 *o) I believe that Jake had a hard time after loosing his dear friend.

 ^f^
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2008, 05:08 PM by loreen »

Offline smartestsonia

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1022
  • Gender: Female
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
Certainly, you are right in the the sense that their interpretation of the characters will probably take these future viewers out of their comfort zones.  We, who are probably more desensitized to various forms of discrimination (as if some of us subconsciously still expect it), can only imagine how such a situation that confronted Ennis and Jack would look totally preposterous to the future generations.  It stands as a artifact to how much we as a society we still had to go.
I think for the future genaration this film will be impactful as they will belong to a time where there will be more rights and equality to all..they will be so broken to see Ennis and Jack victim of an older time where they had to hide their love..They will realize the cruelty of the world and hopefully will be more mature , tolerant and acceptable to a more equal world
 
Being personally straight, I have never experineced such discrimintaion myself but I have seen incidents around that it makes me feel horrible....people just love holding on to prejudices and baseless opinions.....Some people even today face death threats and worse.... I can understand Ennis and Jack so very well...I can feel their pain...

I feel more of such films should be made in our generation itself and am sure the coming generations will appreciate it too..Ennis and Jack will be loved and cherished by all generations..

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
If there is a remake one day, I believe it will never ever be so sweet and sour as this first movie is. The timing, the circumstances, the director, and above all - Jake and Heath - make this movie a master of masterpieces! That’s why Jake and Heath will always be Jack and Ennis in my mind!

I definitely feel the same way, Loreen.  :)


Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
I think for the future genaration this film will be impactful as they will belong to a time where there will be more rights and equality to all..they will be so broken to see Ennis and Jack victim of an older time where they had to hide their love..They will realize the cruelty of the world and hopefully will be more mature , tolerant and acceptable to a more equal world
 
Being personally straight, I have never experineced such discrimintaion myself but I have seen incidents around that it makes me feel horrible....people just love holding on to prejudices and baseless opinions.....Some people even today face death threats and worse.... I can understand Ennis and Jack so very well...I can feel their pain...

I feel more of such films should be made in our generation itself and am sure the coming generations will appreciate it too..Ennis and Jack will be loved and cherished by all generations..

I think that one of the most powerful and convincing aspects of this movie is that it reached out to everybody -- gay and straight.  It really took the theme of love and kept it universal.  I think a large measure of this can be attributed to Heath and Jake's approach to the roles.  They saw it as a love story -- first and foremost.  If they didn't exactly fit the descriptions in the ss, then that is secondary.  They captured the universality of the subject matter perfectly.

Offline smartestsonia

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1022
  • Gender: Female
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
I think that one of the most powerful and convincing aspects of this movie is that it reached out to everybody -- gay and straight.  It really took the theme of love and kept it universal.  I think a large measure of this can be attributed to Heath and Jake's approach to the roles.  They saw it as a love story -- first and foremost.  If they didn't exactly fit the descriptions in the ss, then that is secondary.  They captured the universality of the subject matter perfectly.
I completely agree with ya Thomas...I think this film has had an impact on people irrespective of their sexual orientation…It is a pure love story..It is as simple as that and we can see that cleary..All that mattered was so much true love and love that could shake mountains..People saw and felt the suffering of Ennis and Jack and could relate that to many people who r even suffering today…Today people can identify with the Pain of Ennis and Jack whether they are themselves gay or straight as they see love which broke all ties made by man.....I am sure any film that will be made on similar lines in future and which will speak of true love will touch people’s heart and they will love the film..

Heath and Jake really saw the love between 2 people as so warm, affectionate, real and genuine..They related the pain and traumas of Ennis and Jack and so could do complete justice to their roles..We will always be gratelful to them for giving us Ennis and Jack

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
I think the secret of their success in their respective roles is that each of them truly knows/knew what it means to love.  It spilled over to their Art -- it informs their very actions.


Offline smartestsonia

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1022
  • Gender: Female
  • BROKIE FOREVER AND EVER
I think the secret of their success in their respective roles is that each of them truly knows/knew what it means to love.  It spilled over to their Art -- it informs their very actions.


I think they r very empathic as people and they can relate to a situation and a person very well..they submerged themselves into the character which is simply beautiful…That’s a skill many actors possess…I read the SS after watching the film and I was literally imagining the scene as I was watching the film...That much Heath and Jake as Ennis and Jack have impacted me…Its just them on my minds.,..The credit goes to Ang too as he was able to help them portray it to their best abilities. When I read the story, the mountains, the rivers and places flash in my mind…That shows the brilliance of Ang to present the film so very well…