I like Randall. However, the love that Jack and Ennis shared might have always posed a threat to Randall had Jack lived and attempted to move on. I know it's just speculation at this point, but I can't ignore an important fact. By moving back to Lightening Flat, Jack would have been much closer to Ennis. Chances are Jack and Ennis would run into each other from time to time. I believe the temptation to dump Randall at the slightest invitation from Ennis would be very great. As much as I like Randall, I don't see where there could have been a solid future with Jack if Ennis was anywhere in the vicinity.
City Slickin' Cowboy (I love your name and your picture, by the way!

for the very reasons you say here, my heart goes out to Randall. He seems like such a sensitive man and would certainly be rejected if Ennis were to come back into Jack's life.
I would love to know more about his and Jack's relationship. Purely for educational purposes, mind you.

I don't know why Randall has so caught my attention except that I really think he would care a great deal for Jack. And I love the way he looks---big guy with kind eyes.
Shelley