The Movie & Story > AP Short Story & Screenplay

Quotes from the short story

(1/10) > >>

misterlies:
Hey,

Although the quotes from the film seem fairly well documented here, I feel that there is a lot in the story which also merits discussion. Although I like how a lot of the dialogue is identical to that of the short story, some of my favourite quotes were missed out in the film, such as

"Christ, it got a be all that time a yours ahorseback makes it so goddamn good"

and

"Come on, Ennis, you just shot my airplane out a the sky -- give me somethin a go on. This ain't no little thing that's happenin here."

and

"Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives. Nothing marred it, even the knowledge that Ennis would not then embrace him face to face because he did not want to see nor feel that it was Jack he held. And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that."

I hope others can contribute more.

Also, I am hoping someone can explain this quote to me, which I have never fully understood.

"It was big enough, warm enough, and in a little while they deepened their intimacy considerably. Ennis ran full-throttle on all roads whether fence mending or money spending, and he wanted none of it when Jack seized his left hand..."

This occurs before they have sex for the first time, and always strikes me as somewhat incongruous (perhaps that is the point). I am not even clear on the literal meaning, is it suggesting Ennis lives life in the 'fast lane'?

*Froggy*:
 Well sorry if I do not start with a quote, coz I love the motel scene so much!!!

The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour
hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap. Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet,
breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale
spouts, and Jack said, "Christ, it got a be all that time a yours a horseback makes it so
goddamn good. We got to talk about this. Swear to god I didn't know we was goin a
get into this again -- yeah, I did. Why I'm here. I fu**in knew it. Redlined all the way,
couldn't get here fast enough."
"I didn't know where in the hell you was," said Ennis. "Four years. I about give up on
you. I figured you was sore about that punch."
[...]
Ennis pulled Jack's hand to his mouth, took a hit from the cigarette, exhaled. "Sure as
hell seem in one piece to me. You know, I was sittin up here all that time tryin to
figure out if I was -- ? I know I ain't. I mean here we both got wives and kids, right? I
like doin it with women, yeah, but Jesus H., ain't nothin like this. I never had no
thoughts a doin it with another guy except I sure wrang it out a hunderd times
thinkin about you. You do it with other guys? Jack?"
"Shit no," said Jack, who had been riding more than bulls, not rolling his own. "You
know that. Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over. We got a work out what
the f*** we're goin a do now."
"That summer," said Ennis. "When we split up after we got paid out I had gut cramps
so bad I pulled over and tried to puke, thought I ate somethin bad at that place in
Dubois. Took me about a year a figure out it was that I shouldn't a let you out a my
sights. Too late then by a long, long while."

Ennis: "I used a want a boy for a kid," said Ennis, undoing buttons, "but just got little girls."
Jack: "I didn't want none a either kind," said Jack. "But f***-all has worked the way I
wanted. Nothin never come to my hand the right way."

Jack: "You know, friend, this is a goddamn bitch of a unsatisfactory situation. You used a
come away easy. It's like seein the pope now."

greenfrog:

--- Quote from: misterlies on Jan 16, 2006, 02:48 PM ---
"Come on, Ennis, you just shot my airplane out a the sky -- give me somethin a go on. This ain't no little thing that's happenin here."

--- End quote ---

I love this line .... I'm not sure why though.  ???

Apollonos:

--- Quote ---"It was big enough, warm enough, and in a little while they deepened their intimacy considerably. Ennis ran full-throttle on all roads whether fence mending or money spending, and he wanted none of it when Jack seized his left hand..."

This occurs before they have sex for the first time, and always strikes me as somewhat incongruous (perhaps that is the point). I am not even clear on the literal meaning, is it suggesting Ennis lives life in the 'fast lane'?
--- End quote ---

It means that Ennis took an "all or nothing" approach to life. If he did something, he went all the way. No coy hand-holding for Ennis; if he was going to have sex, he was going to do everything.

tweric:

--- Quote from: Apollonos on Jan 16, 2006, 11:47 PM ---
--- Quote ---"It was big enough, warm enough, and in a little while they deepened their intimacy considerably. Ennis ran full-throttle on all roads whether fence mending or money spending, and he wanted none of it when Jack seized his left hand..."

--- End quote ---

It means that Ennis took an "all or nothing" approach to life. If he did something, he went all the way. No coy hand-holding for Ennis; if he was going to have sex, he was going to do everything.

--- End quote ---

Thanks! I have trouble understanding this one too  ;) However, what's "he wanted none of it" mean?
Does "it" refer to "when jack seizing his left hand..."? If it does, then how come he "got to his knees" right after jerking away his hand?

In the movie, Ennis tried to resist and push Jack away, but I don't quite see it in the short story....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version