Author Topic: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*  (Read 460262 times)

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #390 on: Aug 08, 2006, 02:26 AM »
You can equally say that it shows Jack that Ennis doesn't just want a quick f**k but something more meaningful and gentle.

Yeah, absolutely. The way Jack touches first his arm, then his face and then gently pulls him in for that sweet kiss is so tender and loving. He's showing Ennis that he doesn't want it to be rough and quick like the previous time, that there's more involved here than just sex and Ennis responds because, deep down, that's how he feels too, even though he'd never have the courage to lead the way.

I always wonder too if Ennis was maybe a little scared that Jack might want to f**k him as roughly as he'd done it? Once he realises it ain't gonna be that way (sorry....) all his tension lifts.
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline aintfoolin

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Gender: Female
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #391 on: Aug 08, 2006, 04:34 AM »
I agree. no one is dragging him into the tent. He went in on his own. Hesitantly I might add but he freely did it.When he got inside he wanted to get close to jack, but just could'nt bring himself to express it in words or action. Thank goodness Jack understood. But he did take the first step on his own. Jack showed patience, understanding,accepptance,and of course love.  Sweet.
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline WyMe

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 23
  • Gender: Male
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #392 on: Aug 17, 2006, 01:00 PM »
I don't know if this has been discussed before but I wonder if the SNIT (where we first see them kiss) was the night after the FNIT?  In the heart-melting flashback scene after their big "Mexico" fight, Ennis hugs Jack from behind and in the SS it says that it was because Ennis would "not then" embrace him face to face.  I took this to mean that although Ennis felt very deeply for Jack, he couldn't quite reconcile himself to kiss him.  That scene in front of the camp fire looks like they are well into their relationship and Ennis isn't spending the night because he says "See you in the morning".  What do other people think?  Is my timeline all confused?

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #393 on: Aug 17, 2006, 01:45 PM »

As for the whole debate about Ennis pulling Jack on to him/Jack rolling on top of Ennis, I've always thought it was the former.It's only a gentle pull, like CherryCake says, more of a hint, than a full blown come-on, but enough to let Jack know what he wanted. If Ennis didn't want Jack on top of him, surely he would have resisted, but he doesn't,and he doesn't just "allow" Jack to get on top of him, he's positively inviting him to, at least that's how it looks to me, the way he lies back, it's like saying "any way you want me, I'm yours" <^( 


I love every single instant of this scene, love this discussion and what everyone has said.  I love the dynamics between Ennis and Jack in this scene very much; but the best, for me, are those Ennis moments, and the best of those, for me, are:  when he indicates to Jack he wants him on top (however he is seen to do this, and "inviting," as CrimsonSky says, is a good way to put it) and then the way he "surrenders" when he lies back and Jack rolls over on top.  And then, the way he lifts his head to meet Jack and kiss.  Exquisite, that we would see the FNIT experience, which makes perfect sense under the circumstances, and then see the SNIT showing how they are learning how they want to make love.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #394 on: Aug 17, 2006, 02:48 PM »
I had without any dep thought assumed that SNIT came the night after FNIT and the dozy embrace at some unspecified time after that. If I thought about the "not then" phrase I rationalized it as meaning "at that time" and took it to refer to in the daytime/out in the open, as opposed to at night/in the tent. but when you think of the wrestling scene, this doesn't make sense unless the wrestling scene comes well after the dozy embrace. In the ss it makes sense because the time is left vague and there is no SNIT to confuse the issue. It's obvious that it would have taken ennis a measurable amount of time to adjust to the changed relationship with Jack after FNIT, and possibly more so after SNIT, when it became much more than simply animal passion.

Of course I don't expect the scriptwriters expected us to do quite such a minute examination of the words spoken - you don;t see things in a play or movie as they happen because they go to quickly; we are going over this in far more detail than any normal audience would and looking at every tiny discrepancy as significant, when it may be merely a lack of attention from the witers or the result of a changed script during shooting.

Offline WyMe

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 23
  • Gender: Male
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #395 on: Aug 17, 2006, 03:26 PM »


Of course I don't expect the scriptwriters expected us to do quite such a minute examination of the words spoken - you don;t see things in a play or movie as they happen because they go to quickly; we are going over this in far more detail than any normal audience would and looking at every tiny discrepancy as significant, when it may be merely a lack of attention from the witers or the result of a changed script during shooting.


I know what you mean, welshwitch, I wonder if the scriptwriters are flattered that we dissect their script and screenplay in such a detailed fashion.

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #396 on: Aug 17, 2006, 03:38 PM »
I sometimes think we're like mediaeval theologians or Talmud scholars - in fact in my more heretical moments I think we should probably dissect the ss rather than the screen play - the former is so densely written and full of metaphor and symbolism.

Offline WyMe

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 23
  • Gender: Male
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #397 on: Aug 17, 2006, 06:19 PM »
Sorry to be so tardy in this reply, welshwitch, I was busy counting angels dancing on a pin ;-)

Offline keren_b

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 23651
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • There will never be another Heath
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #398 on: Aug 18, 2006, 05:20 AM »

As for the whole debate about Ennis pulling Jack on to him/Jack rolling on top of Ennis, I've always thought it was the former.It's only a gentle pull, like CherryCake says, more of a hint, than a full blown come-on, but enough to let Jack know what he wanted. If Ennis didn't want Jack on top of him, surely he would have resisted, but he doesn't,and he doesn't just "allow" Jack to get on top of him, he's positively inviting him to, at least that's how it looks to me, the way he lies back, it's like saying "any way you want me, I'm yours" <^( 


I love every single instant of this scene, love this discussion and what everyone has said.  I love the dynamics between Ennis and Jack in this scene very much; but the best, for me, are those Ennis moments, and the best of those, for me, are:  when he indicates to Jack he wants him on top (however he is seen to do this, and "inviting," as CrimsonSky says, is a good way to put it) and then the way he "surrenders" when he lies back and Jack rolls over on top.  And then, the way he lifts his head to meet Jack and kiss.  Exquisite, that we would see the FNIT experience, which makes perfect sense under the circumstances, and then see the SNIT showing how they are learning how they want to make love.

kathy

your posts are so beautiful, they make me wanna cry and watch this scene again and again and again (like I needed a reason). I think it was the whole idea of the tough, closed, restrained Ennis, finally surrendering to his need and desire that really got me good. and how they were so gentle with each other and really made love that night, so much more than sex. too beautiful for words.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline Rosie

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 12208
  • Gender: Female
  • that old cold time
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #399 on: Aug 18, 2006, 07:28 AM »
I don't know if this has been discussed before but I wonder if the SNIT (where we first see them kiss) was the night after the FNIT?  In the heart-melting flashback scene after their big "Mexico" fight, Ennis hugs Jack from behind and in the SS it says that it was because Ennis would "not then" embrace him face to face.  I took this to mean that although Ennis felt very deeply for Jack, he couldn't quite reconcile himself to kiss him.  That scene in front of the camp fire looks like they are well into their relationship and Ennis isn't spending the night because he says "See you in the morning".  What do other people think?  Is my timeline all confused?

I took it to mean that he wouldn't embrace him face to face just to show love and affection without there being an opportunity for making love. You know, he would kiss and hold him when they were in a situation where making love was going to follow, whether it was outside, in the tent or whatever. But not just come and hold him and look into his eyes and show the true love that he was feeling for Jack. We know he felt it, but he couldn't show it. I think he was too embarrassed and still trying to hide it. That's why when he does hug Jack just for the sake of it, it's so important to Jack, and he cherishes it, even though he's been held and kissed before by that time. Even if it was from behind. It was Ennis showing his real and sexless love, - and that's what Jack.....remembered, and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand... oh, don't start me off! :\'(

That's why that flashback scene affects me so... it's what he's telling Jack with that embrace, and Jack understands it.....and looks after him so hopeful and happy, and in love...<^(   Oh here I go again! :\'(
Danny and me, Danny and me,  Danny and me and the sea,
Bobbing out of Pleasure Bay, the islands on our lee;
Spectacle, Georges, Gallops, the sun-wash on the brine
Castle Island where Skovo danced a bear-dance in bear-time.
The Golden Boy has chosen, I know what I will be
Danny and me, seanchai, Danny and me and the sea.

A Map of the Harbor Islands JG Hayes

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #400 on: Aug 18, 2006, 07:35 AM »
I don't know if this has been discussed before but I wonder if the SNIT (where we first see them kiss) was the night after the FNIT?  In the heart-melting flashback scene after their big "Mexico" fight, Ennis hugs Jack from behind and in the SS it says that it was because Ennis would "not then" embrace him face to face.  I took this to mean that although Ennis felt very deeply for Jack, he couldn't quite reconcile himself to kiss him.  That scene in front of the camp fire looks like they are well into their relationship and Ennis isn't spending the night because he says "See you in the morning".  What do other people think?  Is my timeline all confused?

I took it to mean that he wouldn't embrace him face to face just to show love and affection without there being an opportunity for making love. You know, he would kiss and hold him when they were in a situation where making love was going to follow, whether it was outside, in the tent or whatever. But not just come and hold him and look into his eyes and show the true love that he was feeling for Jack. We know he felt it, but he couldn't show it. I think he was too embarrassed and still trying to hide it. That's why when he does hug Jack just for the sake of it, it's so important to Jack, and he cherishes it, even though he's been held and kissed before by that time. Even if it was from behind. It was Ennis showing his real and sexless love, - and that's what Jack.....remembered, and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand... oh, don't start me off! :\'(

That's why that flashback scene affects me so... it's what he's telling Jack with that embrace, and Jack understands it.....and looks after him so hopeful and happy, and in love...<^(   Oh here I go again! :\'(

 :clap: Well said Rosie - that's pretty much how I saw it too.
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #401 on: Aug 18, 2006, 05:48 PM »

your posts are so beautiful, they make me wanna cry and watch this scene again and again and again (like I needed a reason). I think it was the whole idea of the tough, closed, restrained Ennis, finally surrendering to his need and desire that really got me good. and how they were so gentle with each other and really made love that night, so much more than sex. too beautiful for words.

Agreed, Keren, that Ennis's opening up to Jack, opening up himself and showing how he was feeling, is the most beautiful emotional scene.  As you said, the tough, closed, restrained Ennis -- when we see him softening, surrendering -- it's just exquisite...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #402 on: Aug 18, 2006, 05:56 PM »
I don't know if this has been discussed before but I wonder if the SNIT (where we first see them kiss) was the night after the FNIT?  In the heart-melting flashback scene after their big "Mexico" fight, Ennis hugs Jack from behind and in the SS it says that it was because Ennis would "not then" embrace him face to face.  I took this to mean that although Ennis felt very deeply for Jack, he couldn't quite reconcile himself to kiss him.  That scene in front of the camp fire looks like they are well into their relationship and Ennis isn't spending the night because he says "See you in the morning".  What do other people think?  Is my timeline all confused?

I took it to mean that he wouldn't embrace him face to face just to show love and affection without there being an opportunity for making love. You know, he would kiss and hold him when they were in a situation where making love was going to follow, whether it was outside, in the tent or whatever. But not just come and hold him and look into his eyes and show the true love that he was feeling for Jack. We know he felt it, but he couldn't show it. I think he was too embarrassed and still trying to hide it. That's why when he does hug Jack just for the sake of it, it's so important to Jack, and he cherishes it, even though he's been held and kissed before by that time. Even if it was from behind. It was Ennis showing his real and sexless love, - and that's what Jack.....remembered, and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand... oh, don't start me off! :\'(

That's why that flashback scene affects me so... it's what he's telling Jack with that embrace, and Jack understands it.....and looks after him so hopeful and happy, and in love...<^(   Oh here I go again! :\'(

Rosie, this is a wonderful way to look at that scene and the lines in the SS.  I was interested, like welshwitch, in trying to figure out that timeline (since the DE was a flashback, where did it truly fit in the chronology of their time on the mountain?) but I like this take on it by Rosie and suddenly I don't have a compelling need to figure out the timeline...

I love thinking about this, that they were physically affectionate along with making love, but for Ennis just to go up and hug Jack (his way of saying I love you) wasn't something he was comfortable doing?  Makes sense.

And speaking of hugs, though, the two great big ol' beautiful hugs we do see are so marvelous, which would prompt me to say that they were comfortable just hugging each other, whether having sex was in the immediate offing or not.  (Hmmm...  offing = nice word, as in, "gun's going off!")

Let's see if I can get this back on topic, Ennis entering the tent, SNIT.  Nope, sorry. %&)

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline Rosie

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 12208
  • Gender: Female
  • that old cold time
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #403 on: Aug 19, 2006, 12:07 PM »
I don't know if this has been discussed before but I wonder if the SNIT (where we first see them kiss) was the night after the FNIT?  In the heart-melting flashback scene after their big "Mexico" fight, Ennis hugs Jack from behind and in the SS it says that it was because Ennis would "not then" embrace him face to face.  I took this to mean that although Ennis felt very deeply for Jack, he couldn't quite reconcile himself to kiss him.  That scene in front of the camp fire looks like they are well into their relationship and Ennis isn't spending the night because he says "See you in the morning".  What do other people think?  Is my timeline all confused?

I took it to mean that he wouldn't embrace him face to face just to show love and affection without there being an opportunity for making love. You know, he would kiss and hold him when they were in a situation where making love was going to follow, whether it was outside, in the tent or whatever. But not just come and hold him and look into his eyes and show the true love that he was feeling for Jack. We know he felt it, but he couldn't show it. I think he was too embarrassed and still trying to hide it. That's why when he does hug Jack just for the sake of it, it's so important to Jack, and he cherishes it, even though he's been held and kissed before by that time. Even if it was from behind. It was Ennis showing his real and sexless love, - and that's what Jack.....remembered, and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand... oh, don't start me off! :'(

That's why that flashback scene affects me so... it's what he's telling Jack with that embrace, and Jack understands it.....and looks after him so hopeful and happy, and in love...<^(   Oh here I go again! :'(

Rosie, this is a wonderful way to look at that scene and the lines in the SS.  I was interested, like welshwitch, in trying to figure out that timeline (since the DE was a flashback, where did it truly fit in the chronology of their time on the mountain?) but I like this take on it by Rosie and suddenly I don't have a compelling need to figure out the timeline...

I love thinking about this, that they were physically affectionate along with making love, but for Ennis just to go up and hug Jack (his way of saying I love you) wasn't something he was comfortable doing?  Makes sense.

And speaking of hugs, though, the two great big ol' beautiful hugs we do see are so marvelous, which would prompt me to say that they were comfortable just hugging each other, whether having sex was in the immediate offing or not.  (Hmmm...  offing = nice word, as in, "gun's going off!")

Let's see if I can get this back on topic, Ennis entering the tent, SNIT.  Nope, sorry. %&)

kathy


 *o) I'll be quick, I promise, but I just can't help it.  ^f^ See, I do feel embarrassed about doing it, so I'm sending you all flowers as an advance peace offering.

The flashback scene coming where it did, is SO powerful exactly because it shows that they both have loved each other and both known it all that time (IMO) even if Ennis wouldn't allow himself to verbalize it, and what an absolute tragedy it is that a  love that pure has gone to waste and will never be fulfilled. Contrasted with Jack's face full of love and hope for their future is the  hopeless scene in the carpark, the reality of what their future become, and it couldn't be more heartbreaking.

 Sorry again, let's get back on topic.....Where were we? OH yes
The significance of Ennis entering the tent......
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2006, 02:59 PM by Rosie »
Danny and me, Danny and me,  Danny and me and the sea,
Bobbing out of Pleasure Bay, the islands on our lee;
Spectacle, Georges, Gallops, the sun-wash on the brine
Castle Island where Skovo danced a bear-dance in bear-time.
The Golden Boy has chosen, I know what I will be
Danny and me, seanchai, Danny and me and the sea.

A Map of the Harbor Islands JG Hayes

Offline aintfoolin

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Gender: Female
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #404 on: Aug 19, 2006, 06:46 PM »
I know there was no words spoken in this scene, but if Jack could have verbalized his feelins when he first sees Ennis at the entrance to the tent? This has got to be my fav scene in the film. I LUV watching it. So Romantic seein Jack's dream come true for once. And what a dream. A shy Ennis Del Mar offering himself to you body and soul  OMG what delicious fantasies when we fill in the blanks.  A. Lee you big tease.
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #405 on: Aug 19, 2006, 11:14 PM »
I know there was no words spoken in this scene, but if Jack could have verbalized his feelins when he first sees Ennis at the entrance to the tent? This has got to be my fav scene in the film. I LUV watching it. So Romantic seein Jack's dream come true for once. And what a dream. A shy Ennis Del Mar offering himself to you body and soul  OMG what delicious fantasies when we fill in the blanks.  A. Lee you big tease.

Thanks for getting us back on topic.  ;)

I LOVE this scene, too --no surprise.  If we put ourselves in Jack's head right then, when Ennis comes to the tent...  I love the way you said it. 

And then let's put ourselves in Ennis's head right then -- whew, what a quivering mass of uncertainties and desires both...and Jack treated him beautifully and perfectly.  Oh what a night that must have been...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline keren_b

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 23651
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • There will never be another Heath
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #406 on: Aug 20, 2006, 07:34 AM »
I would love to hear Jack's thoughts when he was lying on his back alone in the tent, and then when he suddenly saw Ennis in the enterance. His heart must've skipped a beat. And yet he knew right then and there what Ennis has come for and no words were needed. I can't say it enough times, this is the most beautiful love scene I've ever seen.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline christie wood

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 15455
  • Country: 00
  • Gender: Female
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #407 on: Aug 20, 2006, 02:02 PM »
I would love to hear Jack's thoughts when he was lying on his back alone in the tent, and then when he suddenly saw Ennis in the enterance. His heart must've skipped a beat. And yet he knew right then and there what Ennis has come for and no words were needed. I can't say it enough times, this is the most beautiful love scene I've ever seen.

It is Keren, I totally agree.  Its my favourite scene of the whole film, and most romantic and beautiful love scene.  I would love to know what Jack's thinking too Keren....you know, we get to see Jack, don't we, when Ennis is sat by the fire, gathering as much courage as he can to go to Jack, and I always wondered what was going through his mind then, as he's undressing.  And then we see him, just lying there.  Is he waiting for Ennis?  Is he wondering whether to go out to Ennis and persuade him to come into the tent?  When Ennis does finally enter the tent, the look on Jack's face just says it all.....no words are needed.  It's all in the eyes.   <^(
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline Rosie

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 12208
  • Gender: Female
  • that old cold time
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #408 on: Aug 20, 2006, 03:45 PM »
I'd love to know what they said to each other at supper and what words were said when Jack left Ennis to go to the tent. He must have said something. Surely he didn't just walk off and go in there. And what if anything would Ennis have relpied? You know, I don't think that Ennis would have actually said anything. Maybe Jack would know that, so just said something like "I'll be in the tent if you want me" or "I'll be in the tent if you want to come in". And yes, I would love to know what was going through their minds. Ennis sitting there by the fire,wringing his hands and glancing towards Jack and seeing him taking off his shirt. Then Jack hearing  the sound of movement, listening to hear whether it's coming closer or moving away, then realizing it's coming closer. Neither of them knowing who was going to make the first move...Ennis' shyness, the way he can hardly meet Jack's eyes, the way Jack never takes his eyes off him....oh yes, it is a truly beautiful scene. <^(
Danny and me, Danny and me,  Danny and me and the sea,
Bobbing out of Pleasure Bay, the islands on our lee;
Spectacle, Georges, Gallops, the sun-wash on the brine
Castle Island where Skovo danced a bear-dance in bear-time.
The Golden Boy has chosen, I know what I will be
Danny and me, seanchai, Danny and me and the sea.

A Map of the Harbor Islands JG Hayes

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #409 on: Aug 21, 2006, 01:02 AM »
In the ss it doesn't happen, but it does say that they never talked about the sex and that I think makes perfecr sense. Ennis is inarticulate and uneasy with the situation, and Jack isn't articulate in the sense of analysing abstracts like emotions - I think they'd have eaten quietly and said very little. the surprising thing about the whole movie is how little is said throughout - shows the power of facial expressions and gestures and sensitive cinematography.

greenfrog

  • Guest
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #410 on: Aug 21, 2006, 01:05 AM »
In the ss it doesn't happen, but it does say that they never talked about the sex and that I think makes perfecr sense. Ennis is inarticulate and uneasy with the situation, and Jack isn't articulate in the sense of analysing abstracts like emotions - I think they'd have eaten quietly and said very little. the surprising thing about the whole movie is how little is said throughout - shows the power of facial expressions and gestures and sensitive cinematography.

Very true . . .  And when words are spoken, they mean even more because they are spoken so rarely.  :\'(

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #411 on: Aug 21, 2006, 07:25 AM »
In the ss it doesn't happen, but it does say that they never talked about the sex and that I think makes perfecr sense. Ennis is inarticulate and uneasy with the situation, and Jack isn't articulate in the sense of analysing abstracts like emotions - I think they'd have eaten quietly and said very little. the surprising thing about the whole movie is how little is said throughout - shows the power of facial expressions and gestures and sensitive cinematography.

Very true . . .  And when words are spoken, they mean even more because they are spoken so rarely.  :\'(


Yes.


Offline sportstalk23

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 336
  • Gender: Female
  • E&J 4EVER
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #412 on: Jul 04, 2008, 01:52 PM »

this has to be in my top 2 favorite scenes  :clap: there are hardly words exchanged but everything that we needed to know was explained :clap: Ennis wrestling again with his emotions by the fire so much going through his mind I think this was to me was finally Ennis really thinking about everything that went on the FNIT, his treatment of Jack, his true feelings of that he has fallen in love with Jack  <^( and on how he was brought up and the things his insensitive jerk father forced him to see as a child and Jack with no shirt just waiting patiently knowing that Ennis would go in the tent, Ennis to me hasnt had anyone took care of him since maybe his mother? and here was Jack wanting to take care of him just like the offer of the loan and fishing pool Jack just wanted to take care of Ennis and wanted him to be happy  <^( Ennis used his hat as his shield and avoiding eye contact at first as protection  sure not if  he should just give over to his feelings but Jack putting his arm on Ennis arm and taking his hat away it was disarming it let Ennis know hey it's ok to let me in, this is right and we have nothing to be ashamed of , and Ennis I believe I heard saying sorry for his behavior and attitude towards Jack after FNIT and Jack saying it's ok to me that was another example of Jack being able to tolerate Ennis anger and outburst and accept Ennis for who he is Ennis could be himself around Jack that he wasnt around other people and women like Alma and Cassie the whole thing from the lighting and Ennis just wanting to take in every part of Jack for the first time and just finally giving in to his love for Jack letting someone take care of him it all takes your breath away  <^( and Jack clearly takes after his mom as a loving nurturing person he loved Ennis no matter what

manhattangirl

  • Guest
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #413 on: Jul 04, 2008, 03:26 PM »

this has to be in my top 2 favorite scenes  :clap: there are hardly words exchanged but everything that we needed to know was explained :clap: Ennis wrestling again with his emotions by the fire so much going through his mind I think this was to me was finally Ennis really thinking about everything that went on the FNIT, his treatment of Jack, his true feelings of that he has fallen in love with Jack  <^( and on how he was brought up and the things his insensitive jerk father forced him to see as a child and Jack with no shirt just waiting patiently knowing that Ennis would go in the tent, Ennis to me hasnt had anyone took care of him since maybe his mother? and here was Jack wanting to take care of him just like the offer of the loan and fishing pool Jack just wanted to take care of Ennis and wanted him to be happy  <^( Ennis used his hat as his shield and avoiding eye contact at first as protection  sure not if  he should just give over to his feelings but Jack putting his arm on Ennis arm and taking his hat away it was disarming it let Ennis know hey it's ok to let me in, this is right and we have nothing to be ashamed of , and Ennis I believe I heard saying sorry for his behavior and attitude towards Jack after FNIT and Jack saying it's ok to me that was another example of Jack being able to tolerate Ennis anger and outburst and accept Ennis for who he is Ennis could be himself around Jack that he wasnt around other people and women like Alma and Cassie the whole thing from the lighting and Ennis just wanting to take in every part of Jack for the first time and just finally giving in to his love for Jack letting someone take care of him it all takes your breath away  <^( and Jack clearly takes after his mom as a loving nurturing person he loved Ennis no matter what

 Oh yeah, I feel the same way, I love Ennis entering the tent like he's "comin' a courtin'" his hat in his hand kneeling in front of Jack, still  holding to the hat like some kind of sheild, until Jack let's him know it OK, relax you're with me now.

Ennis wants to know the "art of love", he's a student now, and Jack teaches him just that.  How to touch, Jack carresses Ennis's face and Ennis learns how touch Jack's body, Jack teaches him to kiss, I don't think Ennis ever kissed Alma, it looked as if was the first kiss of his life, but Jack teaches him how to do that too 

Ennis already knows about sex, now Jack shows him how to make love.
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2008, 06:29 PM by manhattangirl »

Offline aintfoolin

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1623
  • Gender: Female
  • " You and him did'nt go up there to fish"...
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #414 on: Jul 04, 2008, 07:12 PM »
Oh yeah, I feel the same way, I love Ennis entering the tent like he's "comin' a courtin'" his hat in his hand kneeling in front of Jack, still  holding to the hat like some kind of sheild, until Jack let's him know it OK, relax you're with me now.

Ennis wants to know the "art of love", he's a student now, and Jack teaches him just that.  How to touch, Jack carresses Ennis's face and Ennis learns how touch Jack's body, Jack teaches him to kiss, I don't think Ennis ever kissed Alma, it looked as if was the first kiss of his life, but Jack teaches him how to do that too 

Ennis alread knows about sex, now Jack shows him about making love.


Yeah how romantic is that? Ennis removing his hat in the way in. Like My hats off to you Jack, kind of symbolic of honor. It says alot about Ennis and the way he felt about Jack. He was wearing it while he contemplated going in but felt to take it off before entering. It's remniscent of long ago love tales where the man goes down on one  knee and confesses his love for his  woman, or proposes marrige or something. If nothing else, he was a perfect gentleman in that moment. I feel FNIT was a romp, but it *fit* the feelings Ennis had for Jack . An expression of them to go along with what he felt. Jack showed him that men can have these feelings and that it was ok to have them, but there was also a way to express them. To show them in the most intimate way. It was "no body's business but ours". They could do whatever they wanted and no one was gonna see or know.
..."yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream"...

Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #415 on: Jul 05, 2008, 11:23 PM »

this has to be in my top 2 favorite scenes  :clap: there are hardly words exchanged but everything that we needed to know was explained :clap: Ennis wrestling again with his emotions by the fire so much going through his mind I think this was to me was finally Ennis really thinking about everything that went on the FNIT, his treatment of Jack, his true feelings of that he has fallen in love with Jack  <^( and on how he was brought up and the things his insensitive jerk father forced him to see as a child and Jack with no shirt just waiting patiently knowing that Ennis would go in the tent, Ennis to me hasnt had anyone took care of him since maybe his mother? and here was Jack wanting to take care of him just like the offer of the loan and fishing pool Jack just wanted to take care of Ennis and wanted him to be happy  <^( Ennis used his hat as his shield and avoiding eye contact at first as protection  sure not if  he should just give over to his feelings but Jack putting his arm on Ennis arm and taking his hat away it was disarming it let Ennis know hey it's ok to let me in, this is right and we have nothing to be ashamed of , and Ennis I believe I heard saying sorry for his behavior and attitude towards Jack after FNIT and Jack saying it's ok to me that was another example of Jack being able to tolerate Ennis anger and outburst and accept Ennis for who he is Ennis could be himself around Jack that he wasnt around other people and women like Alma and Cassie the whole thing from the lighting and Ennis just wanting to take in every part of Jack for the first time and just finally giving in to his love for Jack letting someone take care of him it all takes your breath away  <^( and Jack clearly takes after his mom as a loving nurturing person he loved Ennis no matter what

Sportstalk, what a sweet thought, I'd not really thought of before.  Of course, yes, yes, yes, to everything you said about this scene.  What they found in each other, these two boys, was so beautiful and life-affirming, after their pasts.  And every single thing about the way it was shown to us speaks volumes.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #416 on: Jul 07, 2008, 08:46 AM »

Ennis already knows about sex, now Jack shows him how to make love.


An important distinction, to be sure.  The SNIT is the first time Ennis made love.


Offline myprivatejack

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 15750
  • Gender: Female
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #417 on: Jul 08, 2008, 10:43 AM »
An important distinction, to be sure.  The SNIT is the first time Ennis made love.

You right;SNIT is the first time Ennis made love,the same that FNIT was the first time he'd had sex.Being an important distinction,as you say,the similarity is that in both of them he has the same partner; the man who taught him how to make love in a physical and emotional way.And then,Ennis gets surrender to this reality,showing himself as tender and vulnerable as he can,as perhaps never more he'll show.
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline sportstalk23

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 336
  • Gender: Female
  • E&J 4EVER
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #418 on: Jul 08, 2008, 11:04 AM »
You right;SNIT is the first time Ennis made love,the same that FNIT was the first time he'd had sex.Being an important distinction,as you say,the similarity is that in both of them he has the same partner; the man who taught him how to make love in a physical and emotional way.And then,Ennis gets surrender to this reality,showing himself as tender and vulnerable as he can,as perhaps never more he'll show.


 :t) :clap: I'm glad there has been a distinction made as I always argue to my friends that making love and having sex arent the same thing the FNIT was all E&J pent up sexual tension that they had from the beginning I think it was right away for Jack but it took a lil bit for Ennis but you could tell he was starting to see Jack different how he was looking at him checking him out , opening up about parts of his life laughing alot, smiling which is why Ennis took his slow sweet time going in the tent in the first place and how quickly he gave in whats that saying I always get it wrong "the mind is strong but the flesh is weak"  ;) the SNIT was different by the time he went in that tent Ennis was already in full fledge love with Jack  <^( when you have sex that isnt rocket science like the SS said no manual was needed but when making love its really a show of love which how much had Ennis really had of that in his young life somebody like Jack who not only loved him for who he was but was willing to show Ennis how much  thats why Ennis looked like he was hanging onto Jack for dear life because in a way he was the all the touching the smell everything geez now I need to watch this again  :i  :clap:

Offline myprivatejack

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 15750
  • Gender: Female
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #419 on: Jul 08, 2008, 11:11 AM »
 :t) to you,Sportstalk¡ I think that both love and desire were already before FNIT,that's clear;but that night was like an explosion of all the "sexual tension" there had been among them.While SNIT was more "reposed",they gave more protagonism to their feelings,once they-specially Ennis-realised it was what they had for each other. <^(
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.