Yes, I wouldn't call that picture truly sexless -- but some of us may also say the same thing about the DE, correct? If you look at the picture without having scene the SNIT scene from the movie, there is a chance that you would think of it as something not really erotic, but something that really showed love.
Would you think that there is a "maternal" quality to that picture -- as in "mother" and child? It reminds me of certain paintings in that vein...
And also, I actually see Ennis's face as "trusting" more than uneasy or scared. Does this somehow make sense to you?
Hm... I think that DE was pretty much sexless as they didn't touch there at all... maybe it's not the best indicator, but gives me almost completely spiritual impression.
I agree that the picture without the previous and later of SNIT would seem rather sexless and "mother and child" alike, but not the motion picture. What I mean is that if we capture a moment it is one thing, but only a few second of their commotion shows lust and passion. IMO!
Still, I do agree (which I didn't before

) that their mother-child relationship is very emphasized there and it is so beautiful, and mixed with their youth passion is unspeakably moving!
As for Ennis- well, yes! "Trusting" would also be a proper word for it. What I wanted to express was his discomfort of making love for the first time... it is a bit scary (like the birdie!

), especially in the arms of man...