Author Topic: News Coverage: September 2006  (Read 10505 times)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
News Coverage: September 2006
« on: Sep 08, 2006, 07:13 AM »

Please post all related news articles for September 2006 in this thread.  :)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
Re: News Coverage: September 2006
« Reply #1 on: Sep 09, 2006, 05:50 AM »
Irrelevant to BBM..but since we posted the similar message from charlize Theron some time ago..here is Brad Pitt's

http://people.aol.com/people/article/0,26334,1533247,00.html

Brad: Angelina and I Will Wed When Everyone Can

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 08, 2006 06:40PM EST

by: Alex Brandon / APBrad:

I'll Wed When Everyone Can
Brad Pitt says that he and Angelina Jolie will get married – when all couples can legally wed.

"Angie and I will consider tying the knot when everyone else in the country who wants to be married is legally able," the actor tells Esquire magazine for its October issue.

Of course, the couple are already living in domestic bliss with their three children, Shiloh, who was born in May, Maddox, 5, and Zahara, 1.

Of the older two children, whom Jolie adopted and Pitt is in the process of legally adopting, the 42-year-old actor says the fact that they aren't his biological children doesn't set them apart from their sister, Shiloh.

"They're as much of my blood as any natural born, and I'm theirs," Pitt tells the magazine, which hits newsstands Sept. 19. "That's all I can say about it. I can't live without them. So: Anyone considering (adoption), that's my vote."

And Pitt says he's a pretty laid back dad.

"I try not to stifle them in any way," he says. "If it's not hurting anyone, I want them to be able to explore. Sometimes that means they're quite rambunctious."

Still, Pitt, whose next film is the drama Babel, says communication is the key with kids: "I feel it's really important to have that time to sit and talk to them," he continues. "I really like that last minute before they fade off. And always give them a heads-up before you jerk them out of something. You need to tell them, like, 'You have three more minutes.'"
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2006, 12:52 PM »
Brad just gets hotter as he ages..   :-*

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2006, 04:48 PM »

Given the current climate in the US on the subject of gay marriage, I suspect they will have to wait a bit longer...

greenfrog

« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:24 PM »

Given the current climate in the US on the subject of gay marriage, I suspect they will have to wait a bit longer...

I think so too . . . unfortunately.

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2006, 05:31 AM »
I thought I would pass on  the latest news in regards to the next OSCARS in feb. 07  " they decided to get Ellen Degeneres to host the 79th Oscar ceremony confirmed by the Academy in the AP read this in the news today.

My point here is that I wonder if they chose her to compensate for last year debacle and are trying to get back in the good book by re-claiming  the viewers?   I for once know I will not be wasting my time, I still haven't had the guts to see another movie yet.
I watched Ned Kelly this evening with Heath ledger, it just brought back the all BBM moments." he's truly an awesome person with a vast array and versatility in playing deep roles.
any thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :s) :s) :s)
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2006, 06:48 AM »
I thought I would pass on  the latest news in regards to the next OSCARS in feb. 07  " they decided to get Ellen Degeneres to host the 79th Oscar ceremony confirmed by the Academy in the AP read this in the news today.

My point here is that I wonder if they chose her to compensate for last year debacle and are trying to get back in the good book by re-claiming  the viewers?   I for once know I will not be wasting my time, I still haven't had the guts to see another movie yet.
I watched Ned Kelly this evening with Heath ledger, it just brought back the all BBM moments." he's truly an awesome person with a vast array and versatility in playing deep roles.
any thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :s) :s) :s)

There is a thread on Ned Kelly in the Heath part of the forum.  :)

As for the choice of Degeneres, I had similar thoughts and suspicions.

I will not forgive them.

« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2006, 06:55 AM by tpe »

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2006, 01:14 AM »
Me neither. It seems like a move to further discredit the idea that there was any discrimination in last year's loss for Brokeback. The refused to own up to it then and they are still doing damage control. I have no plans to watch the Oscars ever again.

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2006, 01:27 AM »
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Wednesday/National/20060913090239/Article/local1_html

Local culture delights Ang Lee
13 Sep 2006
Hafidah Samat
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PENANG: Oscar-winning director Ang Lee is bowled over by Malaysia.

"I love this country. The scenery is beautiful and so are the people. I want to come back for a holiday here," said the 54-year-old Hollywood movie director after a six-day filming assignment in Malaysia.

"I am delighted to see that amidst the progress, there is preservation of culture and heritage in abundance here," he told the New Straits Times before boarding MH1153 to Kuala Lumpur to catch MH74 to Hong Kong yesterday.

Also spotted was the film’s cast including popular Chinese-American director/actress Joan Chen (of The Last Emperor fame) and Taiwan pop superstar, Wang Lee Hom.

The New York-based Taiwan-born Lee, who became the first Asian to win the Best Director Oscar for his work in Brokeback Mountain, was here to film Lust, Caution, an espionage thriller based on a 26-page short story by famed Chinese writer, Eileen Chang.

Set in World War Two-era Shanghai, the film revolves around a group of youths who plot to assassinate an intelligence chief in the then Japan-backed Chinese government.

The cast and crew went on location on China Street near the Tanjung City Marina on Monday and also filmed for four days in Ipoh last week.

When asked why he chose the two cities, Lee attributed it to the structures of the old buildings "which are unique pieces of architecture".

"You don’t get buildings like this any more. They’re exquisite."

Lee said the most difficult part of making Lust, Caution was the technical aspect since it was based on a short story with "gaps to fill".

After having dabbled in the film industry as an independent director for several years in Taiwan, Lee gained international acclaim when his second feature, the 1993 Wedding Banquet became a huge success.

Although seemingly an unlikely choice to adapt a classic British novel, he was asked to direct an adaptation of Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility, his debut English-language movie in 1995, which went on to bag seven Oscar nominations.

In 2000, he made his first English-language project, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon which bagged Best Foreign Language Film at the 78th Annual Academy Awards.

Last year, Lee made a strong comeback — after his 2003 comic adaptation of The Hulk was largely viewed as a disappointment — with Brokeback Mountain, an adaptation of Pulitzer Prize-winning author Annie Proulx’s short story starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal.

When asked about the film and Ledger and Gyllenhaal’s on-screen chemistry, the shy and soft-spoken director laughingly said: "Their chemistry was pretty much in my head where no one could see. To me, the film is in a league of its own and if I may, I’d say that the story of Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist ended in its purest form."

greenfrog

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2006, 02:25 AM »
Thank you for that Ennisandjack  ^f^

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2006, 07:27 AM »
Me neither. It seems like a move to further discredit the idea that there was any discrimination in last year's loss for Brokeback. The refused to own up to it then and they are still doing damage control. I have no plans to watch the Oscars ever again.

Yes.  I agree.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2006, 07:30 AM »
http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/nst/Wednesday/National/20060913090239/Article/local1_html

When asked about the film and Ledger and Gyllenhaal’s on-screen chemistry, the shy and soft-spoken director laughingly said: "Their chemistry was pretty much in my head where no one could see. To me, the film is in a league of its own and if I may, I’d say that the story of Ennis del Mar and Jack Twist ended in its purest form."

Well said.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2006, 01:40 PM »
Brad just gets hotter as he ages..   :-*

You know I agree -- aging a bit, all the better.  For men.  And for women up to a certain point.  :i

Brad has never been my favorite, but I do like his looks better now than when younger.  Plus, I didn't know about their stand on this marriage business, so that is excellent!

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2006, 03:59 PM »
I reckon on Oscar night next year we ought to have a special Brokie gathering on here - i don't intend to watch them pretending and putting on a hypocritical act instead of acknowledging how wrong they were this year.

greenfrog

« Reply #14 on: Sep 17, 2006, 09:32 PM »
Heath hates comic book movies

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story/0,23663,20430658-10388,00.html

September 18, 2006 07:31am
Article from: BANG Showbiz

HEATH Ledger has revealed he hates comic book movies - just weeks after signing up for the Batman Begins sequel.

The Brokeback Mountain star - who has a daughter with his actress fiancée Michelle Williams - has been cast as super-villain The Joker in the follow-up to the 2005 blockbuster, entitled The Dark Knight.

He is quoted by website darkhorizons.com as saying: "I actually hate comic book movies, like f***ing hate them. They bore me and they're just dumb." Ledger claims he only agreed to star in the sequel because he liked director Chris Nolan's work.

The actor explained: "I thought what Chris Nolan did with Batman Begins was actually really good, really well directed, and Christian Bale was really great in it."

Ledger insists his portrayal of The Joker was going to very different to Jack Nicholson's critically acclaimed interpretation in the original 1990 movie Batman.

He said: "My Joker is going to be less about his laugh and his pranks and more about just him being just a sinister guy."

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #15 on: Sep 17, 2006, 09:56 PM »

Well said.

I second that.  :)

Also  :clap: :clap: for Brad Pitt.  O0

I agree about the oscars- they will never acknowledge their wrongdoing. I love Ellen and I'm sure she'll do a great job hosting but I won't be watching.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2006, 08:58 AM »

Well said.

I second that.  :)

Also  :clap: :clap: for Brad Pitt.  O0

I agree about the oscars- they will never acknowledge their wrongdoing. I love Ellen and I'm sure she'll do a great job hosting but I won't be watching.

Very good.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Sep 19, 2006, 01:12 PM »
Published: September 13, 2006 08:48 am         

The war over one book at a prestigious private school

By Barbara Minze-Afterthoughts

I normally just start writing, but I did think about this for a day or so before putting it in print. I felt sure some would certainly misunderstand the message, and I figured that if I ever wanted to get “deported” from a community, this would work. The problem is that I do not want this to happen, but there is something to be learned from the wisdom of the lady who was at the top level of this Episcopal School in Austin.

To say the least, St. Andrews Episcopal School in Austin is an elite one - it was the school where George and Laura Bush sent their daughters; several children of the King Ranch heirs attended this school. The tuition is between $10,000 and $15,000 per year.

For 26 years, a Waco native, Lucy Nazro has spent much of her 24-hour day on these grounds. Despite minor incidents, the school had a reputation of unity, a close-knit group of parents, all with the same or similar goals for their children- a good education in a Christian environment. Episcopal Schools are often recognized for their excellent curriculum, and their encouragement of Christian values.

I have several reasons for sharing this with readers. One is my very strong belief on the danger of censorship in public school libraries. Another, perhaps my own tolerance for the mistakes of others; and, for the understanding that everyone is not like me. I do not expect my friends to always agree with me, and I am a firm believer that we should all be able to agree to disagree. Sometimes, this is very hard in a small town.

As it happened, it was very hard in this close-knit public school.

In 1999, an new English teacher joins the staff on the campus of this expensive private school. As she moves up to senior instruction in the next couple of years, she approaches her superiors with the recommendation of a new book. She wants to add “Brokeback Mountain” to the reading assignment for seniors, and explains that it will be taught during the third tri-mester, as the students are then doing college work and preparing for the outside world - the college life in most cases.

She is well aware that the book is controversial, the story of two gay cowboys, but she thinks there are lessons to be learned from reading it. She asks that her superior read it first before approving it.

This is done, and Lucy Nazro’s misery is about to begin. Talk is already circulating about the upcoming movie, but it has not yet been released. After careful consideration and listening to the teacher’s reasons, the book is approved.

Within the next couple of years, adding this one book to the curriculum would cost the school a few million dollars in pledges from conservative parents, who were very critical about the addition of the book to the reading assignment for their seniors.

Lucy Nazro was a good listener, and she listened to the anger of parents; the threats in some cases of withdrawing either students or funds Finally, she decided she must read the book herself, and she did.

It is interesting how that once trouble begins on a school campus, it often moves on to other issues. By the end of 2005, there were complaints over the fact that the school did not observe a “National Day of Prayer”, but they did observe a “National Day of Silence.” As for the “prayer day”, it was explained that “our students pray every day in chapel.” The “National Day of Silence” is a day sometimes observed where students do not speak for an entire day in recognition of people without a voice in society.

Lucy Nazro had worked hard for 26 years to create a flawless atmosphere in this well respected school. Now, everything had changed. There were many supporters, but most often we hear about the complaints more often than we do about those who support a policy.

Much took place in the months prior to the first student reading of the book, and much changed afterward. Space does not permit, nor do we wish to go into great detail about all this. John Spong recently wrote an excellent article for Texas Monthly about the dilemma at this good school. Reading it, I remembered when all of this had started and that I had forgotten the details.

I was quite impressed with the words he quoted that had been spoken to a group by Lucy Nazro, who at the time was tired and frustrated by the entire period of events.

She explained: “This is an Episcopal school, a school where emphasis is on reason and open inquiry. An Episcopal school is basically modeled on love. Maybe in some people’s minds, a Christian school would not teach “Brokeback Mountain”, but in my mind being a Christian is how one treats other people.

“What we hope here is that kids will learn a little about the world outside, its hurt and its brokenness and then go out and do something to make it a better place.” In every way that Spong portrayed this woman, one was quite aware that she had a special gift - tolerance.

We will quote one longtime friend mentioned in the article - Charlie Cook, a professor for many years, who had the following to say with regard to her position of allowing this controversial subject to be injected into a private school curriculum.

He said, “Think of a dirt road. The toughest place to make your way is right down the middle. If one moves to the ruts on either side, the way is much easier. It is in the middle that one encounters the rocks and other obstacles. Life is much easier when it is black and white.”

I wrote a column not long ago about this very subject. Much of our life today is no longer black and white, but gray. Many cannot understand these “gray” areas. According to Cook, many people are uncomfortable with the Episcopal Church because they are inclined to accept the “grays”.

And, now I know you are wondering - “Did I read “Brokeback Mountain?” The answer is “No”, and I probably won’t. However, I did read “The Scarlet Letter”, “To Kill A Mockingbird”, “Uncle Tom’s Cabin”, and several others that were banned from public school libraries a few years ago (I think some have made it back to the shelves now).

I do find it a bit unusual here that most children can turn on the television at will and see just about any sexual situation they wish; they can watch just about any type of violence or horror. If their parents approve, they can rent movies not at all appropriate for their age group, and not one word is said.

Yet, from what I read, this one teacher was hoping to teach these graduating seniors something they would encounter very soon after they graduated (if they had not already done so). We all live in a completely different world than it was 30 years ago. Our opinions may not have changed, but in some cases, our tolerance must.

(Barbara Minze is editor for the Hubbard City News and an editor for the Mexia Daily News. She may be contacted by email at bminzenews@hillsboro.net.)

http://www.mexiadailynews.com/variety/local_story_256084854.html?keyword=topstory

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #18 on: Sep 19, 2006, 01:22 PM »

Thanks Jennis.

Whoever says that life is simply black and white is a liar.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #19 on: Sep 19, 2006, 01:35 PM »
13 September 2006

It's admirable that people want our culture to strive for relevance and depth in its filmmaking and film watching, but our desperate grasping for real world ideals has dissolved our sense of cinematic values. 

by Amos Posner   

The first warning sign came at the 2006 Academy Awards. When Crash won the Oscar for best picture over several more deserving movies — including some that hadn't even been nominated, like Match Point and The Squid and the Whale — producer Cathy Schulman stepped to the stage alongside writer-director Paul Haggis, and thanked the voters for recognizing their movie "about love and tolerance." I had seen Crash, and something didn't seem quite right to me. My phone immediately rang, and before I could even get the "O" out in "Hello",my friend Joe was loudly broaching the problem.

"Crash wasn't about love and tolerance," he shouted. "It was about hate and intolerance! The only tolerant character in the whole movie shoots someone in a fit of racist paranoia!" Oh yeah. That's what didn't seem right.

Not two weeks later, all the major critics who reviewed V for Vendetta, the popcorn action thriller starring Natalie Portman, discussed the movie's politics as a focal point of their analysis. Sure, the movie was politically loaded, but focusing on the agenda of a big budget spectacle that had already failed to dazzle, suspend, or thrill again didn't seem right. Were people really spawning political debates about a movie from the Wachowski brothers? The same guys whose previous idea of thought-provoking work was confusing stoned teenagers with The Matrix?

It's admirable that people want our culture to strive for relevance and depth in its filmmaking and film watching, but our desperate grasping for real world ideals has dissolved our sense of cinematic values. People clearly want to be in touch with the times when they go to the movies. But they also clearly just don't know which approach to take: serious or saccharine.

This is demonstrated clearly in how audiences have responded to the first two major releases to directly deal with 9/11. United 93 has thus far garnered the best reviews of 2006, according to Metacritic.com, the movie review aggregate. I'm inclined to agree that it is indeed the best film of the year up to this point. Yet Oliver Stone's World Trade Center needed little more than two weeks to surpass Paul Greengrass' chilling work at the domestic box office. Stone's film got almost suspiciously good reviews. They seem to be an overly polite nod to a movie that didn't ruffle feathers the way one might have worried an Oliver Stone 9/11 entry might. Quite the contrary, it's hard to imagine World Trade Center ruffling anyone's feathers at all. While it is serviceable, and features some of the most breathtaking sets of any film in recent memory, there is otherwise nothing of note about the movie, aside from the audiences' willingness to accept this painful subject.

Rather than finding the right storytelling angle naturally, World Trade Center saccharinely caters to a crowd of guilt-ridden survivors. It tells the story partially from the perspective of the brave civil servants who survived, partially from the perspective of their panicking wives, and partially from that of a discharged marine, who helped save the trapped officers after leaving home to escape his feeling of helplessness. Stone took a harmless route, not only incorporating the majority experience of panic and grief from the sidelines, but making sure the heroic cops would offer an uplifting survival story (which audiences would be likely to know given the two real-life figures' many public appearances leading up to the movie's release). The movie doesn't risk bringing our guilt and grief to the surface by focusing on the victims.

United 93
It's hard to imagine anyone not crying over the course of World Trade Center, yet its touching moments are not organic, but rather ones that force the audience to recall heartbreaking memories from the actual day. United 93 never required the viewer to reach outside the movie for emotion and visceral experience. Both movies played on our societal memories that still seem incredibly fresh, even after five years. But United 93 offered a lean, superbly crafted thriller, that even in the absence of stars honored the heroes of the day and evoked its panic while still holding up against normal cinematic standards.

World Trade Center is so over-scored, so shallow in its every stab at sentiment, that for all it does right, it's hard not to feel cheapened by it. By taking the steps of casting a star like Nicolas Cage or shooting the movie in a banal style, Stone robbed the picture of any distinctive character it might have offered. In the end, it felt almost like the pilot for a basic cable TV show about horribly unfortunate policemen. The mere act of releasing a 9/11 movie forces us to revisit the day that shaped so much of what's going on now, with both personal and political perspective. World Trade Center took what could have been the most topical of movies and robbed it of any of that texture.

Movies are almost never good at making real political statements, only at referencing them. That's why only a couple of Spike Lee's most racially-loaded movies have particularly resonated. He's a talented filmmaker, but his low rate of success is about par for the course when it comes to political movies.

Political movies are so hard to pull off that one-time landmark pictures like Gentleman's Agreement and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner have aged horribly. The latter is a great example of why movies aiming to spur social progressivism inevitably fail. While the movie succeeded in the short term with awards and popularity, it wasn't long before it looked laughable. Viewed now, not only is the movie terribly didactic in examining the debate between prejudice and racial liberalism, but its ideas of progress now actually seem rather racist themselves. The imprints in celluloid that are really worthwhile have little to do with social moralizing. That's why so many people missed the point about Brokeback Mountain, one of the superior movies defeated by Crash at the Oscars.

It seems that everyone desperately over-focused on Brokeback Mountain's theme of sexual orientation, when it played only a minor role in the on-screen success of the movie. Its box office receipts were bolstered by the buzz and shock value surrounding its distinctive gay cowboy one-liner. But Brokeback Mountain wasn't about homosexuality the way Crash was about race. It was the emotional element that made the film, not the physical. Ang Lee's repressed, ill-fated lovers have far more in common with those of, say, Casablanca, than they do with the merely gay characters of much lighter, more comforting fare like Big Eden.

By regarding those two Oscar contenders as only a pair of "issue" movies, people failed to see the more important question at hand: the cinematic one. Brokeback Mountain was a rich visual experience, with a lyrical, painterly beauty that far transcended whatever its writing and performances had to offer. Crash, on the other hand, was mostly just crassly strung-together, skin-deep pieces of heavy-handed drama posing as something richer. We lose our artistic values when we assign importance to work not because of its aesthetic and creative contributions, but because our half-assed notions of social consciousness.

People frequently complain that the media warp and soften the issues. But these days, it seems that the issues have warped and softened my favorite medium. People are so busy trying to care about what's important that they're missing the point completely. All summer, message boards across the Internet have been debating whether or not Nacho Libre is racist because of Jack Black's portrayal of an undignified Mexican. But Jack Black movies don't denigrate Mexicans, wrestlers, or any broad group; they denigrate Jack Black. I don't see Dick Cheney protesting Rob Schneider for defaming Americans.

We can't afford to be this dense. As audiences, being dumb in the pursuit of social relevance is actually worse than being dumb in the pursuit of cheap action thrills. If we reduce our sense of what is bold, challenging, and socially important to the same kind of cheap sensationalism and buzzword fetishizing that drives television and tabloids, then we squander the chance to demand or obtain stories that genuinely possesses those qualities. Then all we'll get is another Crash. Another cloying approach to recent history. And another ringing phone come Oscar night.

http://www.popmatters.com/columns/posner/060913.shtml

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #20 on: Sep 19, 2006, 01:59 PM »

As far as the unmentionable film is concerned, I can only agree with the above article.

As far as WTC and United 93 are concerned, I agree and disagree.

IMO, many Americans have not completely faced up to the roots and full implications of 9/11.  I cannot blame the producers of WTC for the approach they took.  Even with that, many Americans still shied away from the film.  It is not in the popular psyche to address the troublesome issues of this event -- even to this day.

Politics is always a tricky thing.  Perhaps the tragedy of 9/11 indeed got a bit emasculated in WTC.  But in the current climate in the US, maybe it was the best they could do at the moment...

Not that they could have aimed higher.  But the price could also have been higher...

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #21 on: Sep 22, 2006, 08:57 AM »
This auction is now over but i was curios as to how much the poster raised so i asked them and they told me it went for $9000.Be a beautiful piece to have hung on the wall wouldn't it.The smaller framed item sounds very interesting too.

Sundance Benefit Aucton Sept 2nd 2006

One of the most exciting things being offered at this years auction is a 3’ x 5’ framed poster from Brokeback Mountain signed by Ang Lee and the entire cast. The poster, donated by Andrew Byrd of Manassas, Virginia, is accompanied by a smaller, framed piece that contains some actual film from the making of the movie.

Full Article Here:
http://www.camprehoboth.com/issue08_25_06/brokeback_barbra.htm

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2006, 09:28 AM »

A wonderful piece.  And I am glad that the winning bid was good.  It is priceless, but 9000.00 USD for a signed poster is not bad.  :)

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2006, 05:02 PM by tpe »

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2006, 07:30 PM »
That's beautiful.  <^(
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Sep 23, 2006, 03:40 PM »
We must learn to accept everyone
09/23/2006

Column by L.A. Parker - Revelations made after former New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey appeared on "Oprah" produced ripples of disbelief.

McGreevey tells his version of "all" in a recently released "The Confession" which produced appearances on "Oprah," "Today Show" and "Larry King."

McGreevey critics since have stopped just shy of saying "Some of their best friends are gay and lesbian."

Talk about reversals of indoctrination.

Suddenly, everybody on this rainbow-flagged planet has been cured of their homophobic tendencies.

They just don’t like our former down-low brother Gov. McGreevey.

Throughout the Garden State heterosexuals seemed close to enacting a "Take a Gay Man to Lunch" initiative.

Can we stop this great facade, this disingenuous effort bent on convincing the world that America has miraculously bridged the vast divide of gay and straight life.

This is the same America that cringed when "Brokeback Mountain," a 2005 film about a secretive and forbidden love affair between two cowboys ran roughshod over all Academy Award best-film nominations.

Many men familiar to me were upset that a gay cowboy film might walk away with top honors then felt relief when "Brokeback" faded.

For the love of Gene Autrey and John Wayne The Academy would never disparage their memories with two lip-locked range riders.

The Academy opted for "Crash", a six-degrees of separation-type film with an ensemble cast.

The world again had been spared homosexuals.

Plus, back in 1993, Tom Hanks had walked away with a top acting award for his role in "Philadelphia," regarding a gay lawyer suffering the torment of AIDS and employer scrutiny.

"The Confession" details McGreevey’s life from childhood angst until August 2004 when the Garden State governor voiced his unshocking to many New Jerseyans that he was a "gay American."

McGreevey admitted this week on one of the dizzying talk shows that, if possible, he had planned on keeping his secret forever.

Secrets make you sick and when others find you out, especially in piranha-filled political waters, those private pleasures yield opportunity for blackmail, coercion and corruption even by partisans.

The McGreevey starship sank when alleged lover Golan Cipel allegedly threatened to out the governor.

McGreevey admitted that his clandestine lifestyle of pre-governor sex stops at Garden State rest stops coupled with sex in dark alleys shadowed by the nation’s capital, in front of a synagogue no less, had reached a stage that could potentially compromise his political responsibilities.

There is an understanding here that American society in matters of the homosexual experience despises such intimacies and forces gays and lesbians into dark places of denial.

We may voice inclusion and acceptance but we secretly hope that our children, especially our sons, are not stamped with the sign of homosexual.

Whatever lessons are learned from the Gov. Jim McGreevey story, one must be that society must cultivate an atmosphere where individuals can be themselves without fear or shame.

Or we will suffer the consequences.

L.A. Parker is a Trentonian staff writer. His column appears on Thursdays and Saturdays. Reach him at lapaker@Trentonian.com.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17236684&BRD=1697&PAG=461&dept_id=44551&rfi=6

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #25 on: Sep 23, 2006, 04:15 PM »
Whatever lessons are learned from the Gov. Jim McGreevey story, one must be that society must cultivate an atmosphere where individuals can be themselves without fear or shame.  Amen to that. McGreevey was the mayor of my town before becoming governor.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #26 on: Sep 24, 2006, 01:47 PM »
Whatever lessons are learned from the Gov. Jim McGreevey story, one must be that society must cultivate an atmosphere where individuals can be themselves without fear or shame.  Amen to that. McGreevey was the mayor of my town before becoming governor.

Cool, LJN.  Your mayor.  I wonder how he feels about BBM!

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #27 on: Sep 26, 2006, 01:12 PM »
I guess this goes here in this thread – not an article or interview, just chat about news, about Jim McGreevy.

Isn't it interesting that this is coming out now, the "straight spouses" thing.  Interesting, I mean, as a parallel to Brokeback Mountain.  And so now there is McGreevy's book about being a gay man married to a woman; and there are the books and support groups for the spouses of such men.  If BBM took place now, Alma and Lureen would be into that, would probably be on Oprah or whatever.  Even the "rural" thing no longer applies, what with satellite TV in all corners of the country, not to mention the internet – no one is isolated anymore from goings-on in the wide world.  Except some Mormons or other groups that purposely keep their members isolated.

I suppose there are some people who think BBM isn't relevant to our times, as if things aren't like that anymore for gays – maybe younger people growing up free and supported in their gayness think that.  But it clearly is relevant (as we here know very well), judging from the statistics they're giving for the number of gay men who live a straight life to the world at large, married to women.  (And also lesbians married to men.)

kathy

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #28 on: Sep 27, 2006, 07:43 AM »
I guess this goes here in this thread – not an article or interview, just chat about news, about Jim McGreevy.

Isn't it interesting that this is coming out now, the "straight spouses" thing.  Interesting, I mean, as a parallel to Brokeback Mountain.  And so now there is McGreevy's book about being a gay man married to a woman; and there are the books and support groups for the spouses of such men.  If BBM took place now, Alma and Lureen would be into that, would probably be on Oprah or whatever.  Even the "rural" thing no longer applies, what with satellite TV in all corners of the country, not to mention the internet – no one is isolated anymore from goings-on in the wide world.  Except some Mormons or other groups that purposely keep their members isolated.

I suppose there are some people who think BBM isn't relevant to our times, as if things aren't like that anymore for gays – maybe younger people growing up free and supported in their gayness think that.  But it clearly is relevant (as we here know very well), judging from the statistics they're giving for the number of gay men who live a straight life to the world at large, married to women.  (And also lesbians married to men.)

kathy

I think that even with many of the younger (teen) generation, there is still a lot of pressure to conform, and open acknowledgement of gayness comes much later -- when some degree of independence has been achieved from either parents or from childhood peers/family.

I do think it is changing in many places.  But in vast areas of non-urbanized USA, this remains a valid issue for both the very young and the very old.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #29 on: Oct 19, 2006, 09:00 PM »
This made me laugh.Brokeback recipes now ;D

Jennis.x

The Times September 28, 2006

DVD Dinners: Brokeback Mountain (2005)
By Feargus O'Sullivan

Elk and Beans

Lonesome shepherds Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) and Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) kill an elk, and gorge themselves on fresh meat. Weighed down with meat and whiskey, Ennis and Jack end up sharing a tent. Huddling together in the freezing night, a sudden passionate embrace exposes the unspoken truth that has been hanging in the air for some time — Jack and Ennis have fallen in love.

WHAT YOU NEED

500g elk meat (or venison), cubed
2 medium onions
6 carrots
4 sticks celery, strings removed
2 apples, peeled
4 skinned tomatoes
2tsp golden syrup
1tbsp flour
100g dried haricot beans, soaked
1tsp thyme
1tsp rosemary
2 bay leaves
1 litre dark beer
Pinch cinnamon
50g butter

METHOD

Boil the beans in water for 10 minutes, then drain. Dredge the meat in flour, then brown with the onions and butter in a large casserole. Add the remaining chopped vegetables, parboiled beans and flavourings and pour over the beer. Simmer gently until the beans and meat are tender, adding more liquid if necessary. Serves 4 with bread.