Author Topic: Riverton? How did Jack know?  (Read 26888 times)

athena0204

Re: Riverton? How did Jack know?
« Reply #60 on: Sep 04, 2009, 05:38 PM »
Yes you're right,and I have already said that Ennis felt overwhelmed by emotion by seeing Jack again; so in these moments,is easy to be catched guard down.But I was referring also to former moments;as Athena remarked,he often forgot his fishing gear,he never catched any fish and even,he never was careful enough as not awake Alma's suspicions with their so close friendship.Is in these cases when I wonder if something in his innest self wished to be punished for this forbidden love that,for him,don't forget that was like a damnation; Ennis never felt at ease with his feelings,which sometimes even denied,and I bet that sometimes he arrived to hate him for having them and Jack for make him having them...

The thing is though, that Ennis was pretty careful about hiding it from everyone else. It was just Alma he wasn't careful with. I think it was only because at the times he met up with Jack, he happened to be around Alma right before. If he had been around someone else, he would have probably acted the same way everytime he was about to go with Jack. Seeing Jack would always make Ennis forget his fears temporarily. I believe it's like Loreen said. That everytime Ennis saw Jack again, and knew he would be spending time with him, he forgot about everyone and everything else in the world. During those times, there was only Jack and their love. And also he felt trapped in his living a lie with Alma pretending to be something he isn't. Perhaps it was a way of punishing her? I don't feel it was a way of punishing himself, because he forgets his gear because he's so happy and excited to be with Jack, so something like fishing isn't on his mind at that time. He would completely forget about Alma in those moments. So I don't believe he was punishing himself or punishing Alma by not caring if she knew, I think it was ust because his love for Jack was so strong that it could make him forget about everything else, forget about this world for those moments of pure happiness he had.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #61 on: Sep 05, 2009, 11:14 AM »
Yes,I agree and I have always in that was love what dictated Ennis reactions when Jack was near him.But you have said that he was always very careful with other persons,but he lost a great part of this care when Alma was around.And you added that no matter who was around instead of Alma,Ennis had surely acted the same way,with the same rather careless actions.
What I wonder is if maybe he didn't care what Alma thought and,even,felt,because he put his feelings to Jack and to her counterbalancing them,to realise that was Jack who always won...But only the weight of society rules made him stand his situation,and then he realised he wasn't acting right,that he was doing something against these rules,against family values,against his family...And a deep and unstoppable feeling of guilt could perfectly catch him,and make him in the end feel like being punished.And all this,I repeat,knowing that his love for Jack was his greatest and maybe his only reason for being and feeling alive.I don't know if this makes sense... :-\\
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

athena0204

« Reply #62 on: Sep 05, 2009, 12:37 PM »
But he did seem careful around other people. He was afraid of Alma telling Monroe, even though I think she already had done that. And Cassie was completely clueless about Ennis, so he seemed to be doing a good job of keeping his secret from everyone in Riverton except for Alma. Maybe he resented Alma because he felt so trapped in his marriage with her, doing what society expected of him, no matter how unhappy and miserable it made him, that he didn't care if Alma knew. Part of why he was so careless around Alma was simply because he was just so excited and happy to see Jack that he forgot everything else, all his troubles and worries flew out the window as soon as he knew he would be back in Jack's arms. But I think also part of it was that his resenting Alma, just like Jack resented Lureen, the resenting of that lie they were forced to live, the chains that society had placed them in. Ennis was definitely afraid of anyone finding out, including Alma, but his resentment gave him a sort of careless abandon regarding what she thought. He no longer cared what she thought, I think it was that fighter coming out in Ennis. Ennis was always the one who was afraid, the one who thought he was powerless and had no choice but to comply with society's rules and the cruel circumstances of it, but there is no doubt that his deep and immense love for Jack, finding that true love brought out the maverick in Ennis. While he was still in chains for the most part, Jack had lit that spark in him to fight for love, even though it was just a tiny spark. In the end, he realizes he should have done much more, he should have listened to his heart and not cared about anything else, he should have been true to himself and never let society's iron chains make him miserable, but while Jack was alive, a tiny bit of that spark was there, and it manifested itself in how he dealt with Alma.