Author Topic: BBM Collectors Edition:*To Be Released Jan 23rd 2007*  (Read 174621 times)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: BBM Collectors Edition:*To Be Released Jan 23rd 2007*
« Reply #210 on: Nov 17, 2006, 12:20 AM »
Sent mine too. Come on Universal. Thanks to many who have sent the email.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #211 on: Nov 17, 2006, 01:08 AM »
Ok i have joined the bandwagon and just sent mine to.I also pointed out to them that their country selection was of no use to me as i was not in the U.S.A. which defeats the purpose of having a select- your- country- drop down menu! ::)
J.x

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #212 on: Nov 17, 2006, 05:20 AM »
Sent mine too. Here's what I said....

To whoever it may concern

As a huge fan of the movie Brokeback Mountain I was, understandably, thrilled when I discovered that there was to be a Collector's Edition released in January 2007 featuring - according to the initial reports - never before seen footage and all new bonus features. Finally, I thought, the chance to see all the deleted scenes that I've seen screenshots from and maybe a chance to get a director's commentary or something similar.

Imagine, then, my disappointment when further information leaked out - along with one "review" - suggesting that the "new bonus features" consisted solely of one new documentary and some music and that the never before seen footage had been completely dropped from the listing....not much of a "collectors" edition, really.

This movie has touched me - and many thousands of others around the world - in a way that no other ever has. I rushed to buy the DVD as soon as it was available and I would do the same for a true collectors edition - but that doesn't seem to be what we're getting. I can only hope that the review is not correct - or that Universal Studios will reconsider this release and give the fans of this wonderful and groundbreaking movie a collectors edition worthy of the name.

Lindsey Menzies

P.S. This contact form seems to be prejudiced against non US movie fans. I'm in Scotland but I was forced to select "United States" as my country as there was no other option...

Eagerly awaiting my canned response.... ::)
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #213 on: Nov 17, 2006, 01:00 PM »
mine says: RE: Brokeback Mountain Collector - Negative talk Inquiry # 61494

I should send them another one just to see what fortune cookie reply subject I get back.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

theohsocurlyone

« Reply #214 on: Nov 17, 2006, 05:35 PM »
Don't know if this has been posted, but to what address do I send this e-mail to?

Offline carbyville

• Huh?
  • Jack + Ennis

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #216 on: Nov 17, 2006, 06:34 PM »
I received a reply today...

Dear Jennis,

Thank you for contacting us.
Please direct your inquiry to the Universal Studios Home Video Customer
Service Department at:
Universal Pictures International
Oxford House, 76 Oxford Street
London W1N 1BS England
44 (0) 20 7307 1371
We appreciate your interest and hope that you will continue to enjoy
Universal products.

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Entertainment

Looks like i have to start again then if i have to contact London.We are getting different replies though which does mean they are reading them and hopefully taking on board the amount they are receiving concerning one particular product.I will let you know what the London office says ;)    

Jennis.x  

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #217 on: Nov 19, 2006, 03:36 AM »
I got the same reply as you, Jennis.

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #218 on: Nov 19, 2006, 09:32 AM »
I got the same reply as you, Jennis.
Yes,they are taking the hint that we can't choose a country as there are none but the U.S. to choose from.I will contact the London office next and see what they say.Are you doing the same hun?
J.x

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #219 on: Nov 19, 2006, 01:53 PM »
Yep...will do it once I'm back at work since my printer here isn't working!! Damned annoying that there's not an email address for their London office.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #220 on: Nov 19, 2006, 03:45 PM »
Yep...will do it once I'm back at work since my printer here isn't working!! Damned annoying that there's not an email address for their London office.
I thought that,but then again it will have the added advantage in that they have to send us a letter by post about the BBM dvd :)
J.x

Offline brober

• Cassie
« Reply #221 on: Nov 19, 2006, 09:22 PM »
I too was disapointed when I learned there was to be nothing new in the new "Deluxe DVD". However I was not surprised. I was lucky enough  to see the film in a pre-release industry screening 23 Nov 2005.. the film we saw was exactly the same film released 09 Dec 2005 and  on DVD 04 Apr 2006. The reason is obvious Mr Ang Lee. He created a masterpiece. Da Vinci did not release his sketches of the Mona Lisa. The only "deleted" scenes I know of were: the hippie rescue.. Jack drops off Randal in front of the killer mechanics.. Jack and Ennis in the truck cab...all were removed by Ang in final edit spring 2005.. in my humble opinion  they would not add one jot to the film. Brookies do you really want to see Jack embracing Randal !  :-\\.. not me...lets leave the masterpiece as it was intended ..framed in our hearts :)

Offline CrimsonSky

• Jack
  • just like this always...
« Reply #222 on: Nov 20, 2006, 09:47 AM »
I've written to the London office and sent an e-mail to the US office as well, it can't hurt to pester as many people as possible ;)

On the positive side, I suppose if they're asking those of us in th UK to write to London office, it means that it will definitely be released here as well. I said in my letter/e-mail that I wouldn't be buying it if it didn't have deleted scenes, commentary, etc, but fool that I am, I probably will end up buying it anyway (I wasn't going to tell them that though!) ::)
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline Edmund-Paul, The Baron of Ree

• Ennis
« Reply #223 on: Nov 20, 2006, 12:09 PM »
Da Vinci did not release his sketches of the Mona Lisa.

On the other hand, any scetches by Da Vinci which can be tied in with final masterpeces fetch huge prices.

Artists who do not destroy their imperfect and creative process work always risk it being seen if the final work is a major success.

Any material from BBM, amateur photos, cut material etc. is all of interest.
Learn from Brokeback Mountain. Make the most of your life & love from now on.
Because if you can fix it - you don't have to stand it.

Offline brober

• Cassie
« Reply #224 on: Nov 20, 2006, 03:29 PM »
Depends on the artist... Ang Lee is noted on set for running a "tight shoot" BBM was on extremely tight budget..especially the location shots in Alberta...there was just not alot of time or $$ for indulgence of 'extra footage" check out DVD of "Crouching Tiger" no deleted scene's.. with Ang the final cut is the final cut... I think some of us are looking for footage that will never see the light of day or just dosen't exsist... as for commentary.. Ang is notoriously reticent.. as the cast joked getting him to "talk" is like pulling teeth his film speaks for him.. Heath has said all he intends to say (also hates interviews).. that leaves Jake.. well we can always hope for the 25th anniversary edition  ;)

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #225 on: Nov 20, 2006, 05:04 PM »
Depends on the artist... Ang Lee is noted on set for running a "tight shoot" BBM was on extremely tight budget..especially the location shots in Alberta...there was just not alot of time or $$ for indulgence of 'extra footage" check out DVD of "Crouching Tiger" no deleted scene's.. with Ang the final cut is the final cut... I think some of us are looking for footage that will never see the light of day or just dosen't exsist... as for commentary.. Ang is notoriously reticent.. as the cast joked getting him to "talk" is like pulling teeth his film speaks for him.. Heath has said all he intends to say (also hates interviews).. that leaves Jake.. well we can always hope for the 25th anniversary edition  ;)
This is true,but we do know there is 40 minutes worth of deleted scenes,so a few minutes worth of that on the dvd would be nice. :)
J.x

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #226 on: Nov 20, 2006, 05:05 PM »
I've written to the London office and sent an e-mail to the US office as well, it can't hurt to pester as many people as possible ;)

On the positive side, I suppose if they're asking those of us in th UK to write to London office, it means that it will definitely be released here as well. I said in my letter/e-mail that I wouldn't be buying it if it didn't have deleted scenes, commentary, etc, but fool that I am, I probably will end up buying it anyway (I wasn't going to tell them that though!) ::)
My letter went in the post today.Hope we get a response soon and some news of a U.K release :)
J.x

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #227 on: Nov 22, 2006, 02:29 PM »
I too was disapointed when I learned there was to be nothing new in the new "Deluxe DVD". However I was not surprised. I was lucky enough  to see the film in a pre-release industry screening 23 Nov 2005.. the film we saw was exactly the same film released 09 Dec 2005 and  on DVD 04 Apr 2006. The reason is obvious Mr Ang Lee. He created a masterpiece. Da Vinci did not release his sketches of the Mona Lisa. The only "deleted" scenes I know of were: the hippie rescue.. Jack drops off Randal in front of the killer mechanics.. Jack and Ennis in the truck cab...all were removed by Ang in final edit spring 2005.. in my humble opinion  they would not add one jot to the film. Brookies do you really want to see Jack embracing Randal !  :-\\.. not me...lets leave the masterpiece as it was intended ..framed in our hearts :)

Sorry.  I just read this right now.  :)

I don't exactly agree.  Most artists leave a trail of their work in progress.  The Mona Lisa is a case in point, as other versions of this work are known to have existed, although controversy still surrounds identification of the versions.  The same is true with musicians.  Many, as in the case of Chopin, requested that all their unpublished/unfinished manuscripts be burned (although many were careful to preserve the drafts of the published ones).  But in Chopin's case (as in many others), those who survived him did otherwise -- and musicology is richer because of them.

I guess what I am saying is that although Ang Lee may prefer not to make available the deleted scenes, he did not have all the deleted footage destroyed.  They exist somewhere because he and the custodians of this film know very well the value of such material and that they owe posterity the preservation of the entire corpus.    Take the case of Donnie Darko, where the director reinstated practically all of the deleted scenes into the Director's Cut of 2004.

Besides, I seriously doubt that Ang Lee would have much say in the matter, as Universal probably owns the rights to all of the material. In this light, it is reasonable to ask that they consider including the deleted material in the new edition.  There is a good reason why so many other editions of other excellent works have included deleted scenes.

« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2006, 02:38 PM by tpe »

• Ennis
« Reply #228 on: Nov 22, 2006, 02:45 PM »
Exactly.  The whole thing was planned in detail long before the film was first released and subsequently "cut".

The studio will probably drag this out for years. In the end it comes down to money. Cruel in a way. But then the love in our hearts for their product is a valuable consumer market.

Anything is possible - even a follow-up.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #229 on: Nov 22, 2006, 04:17 PM »
Yes: cruel but accurate Saul.  Our love for BBM the movie is a commodity -- just as our love for the story and the actors are a commodity.  Business and Art are not always good bedfellows, but the reality is that one drives the other.

Offline CrimsonSky

• Jack
  • just like this always...
« Reply #230 on: Nov 23, 2006, 04:49 PM »
I got a letter today from Universal, but it wasn't really much help :(

"We appreciate your concern regarding the Collector's Edition of Brokeback Mountain. Unfortunately, however, Universal does not own the rights to Brokeback Mountain in the UK. We believe that Entertainment In Video owns the DVD rights.

Sincerely,

Catalogue Marketing Team"

I would've thought Universal would have known that there was a different distributor for the DVD over here :-\\

I did a search for EIV, couldn't find an e-mail address, just a postal address:

Entertainment In Video Ltd
Eagle House
108-110 Jermyn St
 London  SW1Y 6HB

So it's back to the drawing board then ::) I'll send my letter to them tomorrow :)
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline carbyville

• Huh?
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #231 on: Nov 23, 2006, 04:54 PM »

"We appreciate your concern regarding the Collector's Edition of Brokeback Mountain. Unfortunately, however, Universal does not own the rights to Brokeback Mountain in the UK. We believe that Entertainment In Video owns the DVD rights.

Sincerely,

I would've thought Universal would have known that there was a different distributor for the DVD over here :-\\

Eagle House
108-110 Jermyn St
 London  SW1Y 6HB

So it's back to the drawing board then ::) I'll send my letter to them tomorrow :)

The bright side is, at least they're reading the letters  ^f^

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #232 on: Nov 23, 2006, 05:47 PM »

Sincerely,

Eagle House
108-110 Jermyn St
 London  SW1Y 6HB

Mmm,i haven't received a reply yet but it sounds like they are giving us the run around. :X
J.x

Offline carbyville

• Huh?
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #233 on: Nov 23, 2006, 06:24 PM »
I was thinking about starting an online petition for this situation. Not so much as a demand for a better version, but for some answers in regards to it. Anyone think this is a good idea? I can start the petition and I don't know how many signatures we'll need to make it valid or anything, but I can print it out and mail it to both Universal and Entertainment In Video. If anyone would be willing to help me out with this, PM me and we will talk it over.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #234 on: Nov 23, 2006, 09:47 PM »
I was thinking about starting an online petition for this situation. Not so much as a demand for a better version, but for some answers in regards to it. Anyone think this is a good idea? I can start the petition and I don't know how many signatures we'll need to make it valid or anything, but I can print it out and mail it to both Universal and Entertainment In Video. If anyone would be willing to help me out with this, PM me and we will talk it over.
I'm willing to sign it hun :)I could make a petiton button to add to your signatures if the forum allows it.It would be clickable and take anyone who wanted to sign it straight to the page.If you set it up,i will make the button.If it's not allowed on here,we can use it around the net maybe?Just an idea :)

J.x

Offline carbyville

• Huh?
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #235 on: Nov 23, 2006, 11:38 PM »
I'm willing to sign it hun :)I could make a petiton button to add to your signatures if the forum allows it.It would be clickable and take anyone who wanted to sign it straight to the page.If you set it up,i will make the button.If it's not allowed on here,we can use it around the net maybe?Just an idea :)

J.x

Sounds good to me. Thank you!

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #236 on: Nov 24, 2006, 12:03 AM »
I'll sign it too.  :)
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

• Ennis
« Reply #237 on: Nov 24, 2006, 06:22 AM »

Offline frenchcda

• Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
« Reply #238 on: Nov 25, 2006, 07:06 AM »
%&)Count me in for the petition, it is truly sad that all they are ready to release are files and trailers we all have obtained on our own over the course of this past year, I hope and wish to get my hands on two copies of the special edition without being fooled ^^) ^^)
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing

My wounds are deeper than your desires

www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline carbyville

• Huh?
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #239 on: Nov 25, 2006, 08:56 PM »
Update on the petition. I am in the process of writing the petition statement. If there is anything that any of you would like me to add to it, please let me know! I want all of our voices to be heard  :ghug: