Author Topic: BBM Collectors Edition:*To Be Released Jan 23rd 2007*  (Read 174240 times)

Offline CrimsonSky

• Jack
  • just like this always...
Re: BBM Collectors Edition:*To Be Released Jan 23rd 2007*
« Reply #270 on: Dec 04, 2006, 06:31 PM »
Hello all :)
I am new poster on this forum.
I live in England, and like many of you I have recently filled in the online form at Universal Studios to complain about the disappointing content of the "Collector's" edition of the upcoming DVD.
And I have received the same standard answer as Jennis.
So Universal does not even provide a UK-based email address.
I really wonder how can such an international media company not have a system to redirect enquiries from people resident outside the US internally to the appropriate department?
Perhaps it's got to do with the fact that the "Collector's" edition may just be planned for release in the US.

Here's what I wrote to Universal:

Dear Universal Studios,
I am very disappointed at reading the programme you are planning to include in the January edition of Brokeback Mountain DVD.
To consider this DVD a proper "collector's" edition, I would have expected at least an Audio Commentary (by the Director or one of the Actors), some interviews with cast and crew (for example at official awards, such as the Venice Film Festival, which the film won), or with the short story writer Annie Proulx.
Much lesser films are released on DVD with Audio Commentaries, so why not this one, the "most acclaimed movie of 2005" and one which has impacted the lives of many viewers around the globe?
It really seems like a wasted opportunity.
I am also disappointed you are going to include again the "Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Mountain" documentary, which had already been distributed by Logo Online before the release of the first DVD. So it was nothing new the first time.
Please give deeper consideration to the content of the new DVD: I am astonished that Focus Features and the other producers of this wonderful film would allow the release of this disappointing DVD. It really doesn't do justice to the movie.
Including really interesting and new features/featurettes would gain you not only better sales, but also the respect of viewers alike.
Thanks for your attention.
Best regards.
(signed)

Hi freetraveller :)

In fairness to Universal, there wouldn't have been much point in them forwarding our e-mails to the UK department, because Universal don't have the rights to BBM in the UK, as I found out when I wrote to them ::) Although they could have told us that, instead of just fobbbing us with the postal address for Universal UK :X I posted the address for Entertainment In Video (who have the UK rights) further back in the thread, but I wrote to them over a week ago and I'm still waiting for a reply, so either they're not interested in what we think, or they've had a re-think and are waiting until it's official before writing to confirm that we're getting a Collector's Edition worthy of the name ;)

BTW, thanks for setting up the petition, carbyville :t) I've added my name to it :)
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #271 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:34 PM »
Could it be that Universal is listening to us Brokies?  Here's a new description I found on the Amazon preorder site:

Product Details

Actors: Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Randy Quaid, Valerie Planche, David Trimble, See more
Directors: Ang Lee
Format: AC-3, Collector's Edition, Color, Dolby, Dubbed, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC
Language: English
Region: Unknown. Read more about region encoding and how it may affect you here.
Number of discs: 2
Rating 
Studio: Universal Studios
DVD Release Date: January 23, 2007
Run Time: 75 minutes
Average Customer Review:  based on 12 reviews. (Write a review.)
DVD Features:
All new feature commentary from Academy Awarding-winning director Ang Lee
Premium packaging with special collectible postcards
A Groundbreaking Success
On Being A Cowboy
Directing From the Heart: Ang Lee
From Script to Screen: Interviews with Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana
Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Mountain - New
Impressions From the Film (Photo Stills) - New
Music From the Mountain - New

I still want deleted scenes and a commentary with Jake & Heath!!!!!!!

Offline carbyville

• Huh?
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #272 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Hmm interesting  :s) Very good news, though!

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #273 on: Dec 12, 2006, 07:58 PM »
Ooh,that's different.
They didn't mention Ang Lee commentary before.Thanks for the info, Dirtbiker.

Jennis.x

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #274 on: Dec 12, 2006, 08:12 PM »
 :s) hmmm maybe they are listening-they should know better than to cross brokies  ;D
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #275 on: Dec 12, 2006, 08:42 PM »
i hope they keep listening.. i want the DELETED SCENES.. just gimme those and im happy.. PLEASEEEEEEEE I NEED MORE BBM haha
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #276 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:03 PM »
i hope they keep listening.. i want the DELETED SCENES.. just gimme those and im happy.. PLEASEEEEEEEE I NEED MORE BBM haha

Agreed ID.  ^*)
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #277 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:15 PM »
Ditto!!!

We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!...
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #278 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:23 PM »
I'm wondering if Universal is able to get Ang to do a commentary (presumably trying to appease Brokies), that there is something behind not having deleted scenes in the DVD such as not having the rights to include these, or not being able to get the rights, etc.   :s)  An explanation would be nice by the Studio with the release of the DVD in January...

P/S.  Presumably Ang usually doesn't do commentaries for his movies, so it would be quite a feat for him to do this...
« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2006, 10:33 PM by dirtbiker »

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #279 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:28 PM »
Well I am now sure I'm going to hang on to my $ before I order it. Gee I've got 2 copies already. 1 is wide screen for when I'm rich and famous and one is full screen for now.  :)

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #280 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:44 PM »
I just have the full screen for now.  If deleted scenes are included, I will certainly buy it.  If there are no deleted scenes, then I can't see buying the "Collector's Edition."  I'm expecting the deleted scenes to be pretty decent.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #281 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:45 PM »

P/S.  Presumably Ang usually doesn't do commentaries for his movies, so it would be quite a feat for him to do this...

But BBM is not just any movie  ;) Maybe they're holding out on the deleted scenes for a deluxe or ultimate edition or something- who knows the logic behind that decision. I just checked the petition and there are 300 siggy's on there now  :clap:
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #282 on: Dec 12, 2006, 10:59 PM »
I've read some of the signature comments since I signedf the petition.  I hope they realize that the dedicated fans are not going to go for a release that doesn't contain deleted scenes.

Offline pierralex

• Dreamer forever
  • Jack + Ennis
  • que les moutons aillent se faire foutre
« Reply #283 on: Dec 13, 2006, 01:16 PM »
Well for the moment I have to say I'm not really enthusiastic about this new edition, especially since I alreday have the french prestige edition which looks prtty like this one...
"Texans don't drink coffee?"

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #284 on: Dec 14, 2006, 06:53 PM »
One year ago this month, Brokeback Mountain opened in New York City before gradually opening across the country. After breaking box office records in New York, Brokeback went on to gross $83 million domestically (more than double that worldwide) and won more Best Picture and Director awards in America than any other film in history. Indeed, Brokeback Mountain is arguably the most honored film of all time. To celebrate the anniversary of Brokeback Mountain's release, we recently spoke with Brokeback's executive producer and the CEO of Focus Features, James Schamus.

AfterElton.com: What can you tell me about the director's cut of Brokeback Mountain?
James Schamus: It's not even really a director's cut. … The changes really are very minuscule. They're going to package in some … featurettes about the music, the reception of the film. What you saw [in the theaters] was the director's cut. It's what Ang wanted.

AE: That's good to hear.
JS: Yeah. They wanted to put in some deleted scenes. There was a discussion about deleted scenes, but quite frankly, as Ang said, “The reason I deleted them was because I wanted to delete them. So why would I put them in the DVD?” [Laughs.] That's a pretty good point there, Ang!

AE: There was probably a certain faction of the audience hoping for an alternative ending.
JS: Well, yes. You know my joke is that in the sequel, Heath will go to New York and become one of the Village People. [ Laughs.] That's a whole other different movie.

N.B.Extract.Full article posted in News Coverage thread for December

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #285 on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:01 PM »
Sad....  Why release another edition when the additions are "miniscule"?

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #286 on: Dec 14, 2006, 07:18 PM »
Sad....  Why release another edition when the additions are "miniscule"?
Yeah,i find it odd that it's listed as having unseen footage but according to JS no deleted scenes?Isn't unseen footage stuff they didn't use?JS also says ''they'' wanted to put in deleted scenes.I guess by ''they'' he means the dvd distributors/Focus?So is it Ang that is holding back on giving the go ahead for the deleted stuff?

J.x

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #287 on: Dec 14, 2006, 08:57 PM »
Maybe we will have to pester Ang for our deleted scenes  ;D

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #288 on: Dec 14, 2006, 10:52 PM »
I don't want to be the devil's advocate but, why don't we all boycott it until it's released and we know for sure what's in it?  Universal already got plenty of our money don't you think?
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #289 on: Dec 14, 2006, 11:04 PM »
I'm not buying it if it's the same DVD I already have- Do I want the post cards? Yes but I already have 4 copies of the original so I'm not spending the money just to get the cards. If they put the deleted scenes on this one as an extra I'd gladly buy it and then if they came out with an extended editon I'd gladly buy that too. I'll wait and see what it is for sure when it comes out.

Offline CrimsonSky

• Jack
  • just like this always...
« Reply #290 on: Dec 15, 2006, 07:58 AM »
What with all the excitement of the EGT, I'd forgotten all about the new DVD! I have to say, this just sounds like a complete rip-off :X
Why would Ang put the deleted scenes in the DVD? Er...how about because we would all love to see them? ::) I personally, don't want an alternative ending, I love the film just the way it is (well, of course I would've loved for Jack and Ennis to have lived happily ever after together, but then it wouldn't be BBM), but where's the harm in having them as an extra? But Ok, it's Ang's "baby" and if he doesn't want to release them, I can respect that,even if it's disappointing, but what I have a serious problem with is it being called a Collector's Edition, when it's nothing of the sort, and being expected to pay the price of a full DVD for a couple of "featurettes" and a few postcards  :X I feel like our love for BBM is being exploited here, and I won't be buying it on principle :X At least not at the full price, I might once it's reduced to clear cause no-one else is buying it either ;)  Then again, I might not have the option, because we still don't know for sure if or when it's being released in the UK. I wrote to Entertainment In Video weeks ago, and they haven't had the courtesy to reply :X   

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #291 on: Dec 15, 2006, 10:39 AM »
I won't be buying it on principle :X At least not at the full price, I might once it's reduced to clear cause no-one else is buying it either ;)  Then again, I might not have the option, because we still don't know for sure if or when it's being released in the UK. I wrote to Entertainment In Video weeks ago, and they haven't had the courtesy to reply :X   
Same here.No reply as yet.If the changes are minuscule according to what JS said then it's hardly a directors cut/deluxe edition is it.What a pity. :(

J.x

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #292 on: Dec 15, 2006, 12:07 PM »
I hate it when tradesmen do not even have that basic apparatus known to all civilized peoples: to reply with courtesy and with due consideration (i.e., promptness).

Offline Edmund-Paul, The Baron of Ree

• Ennis
« Reply #293 on: Dec 15, 2006, 01:08 PM »
I feel we will get some of the deleted scenes at some point, if not all, but not at this stage. Maybe with the HDDVD/Bluray version which is sure to appear. For every pixel you have on the curent DVD, you get four in HD. Personally I would spend on a HDDVD player and TV just to see BBM!
Learn from Brokeback Mountain. Make the most of your life & love from now on.
Because if you can fix it - you don't have to stand it.

Offline Mars

• Red Planet
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal 2 actors 1 legend
« Reply #294 on: Dec 17, 2006, 12:38 PM »
Ditto!!!

We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!  We want deleted scenes!...

Agree O0

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #295 on: Dec 17, 2006, 12:51 PM »
I feel we will get some of the deleted scenes at some point, if not all, but not at this stage. Maybe with the HDDVD/Bluray version which is sure to appear. For every pixel you have on the curent DVD, you get four in HD. Personally I would spend on a HDDVD player and TV just to see BBM!

The HD-DVD version has the standard DVD on the other side of the disc.  It's also listed as a "collector's" edition so maybe it'll have the same commentary on this one too.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #296 on: Dec 17, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Poll added for this collectors edition
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

• Ennis
« Reply #297 on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:14 PM »

Hi DirtBiker,

Has BBM already been released in HD?

The HD-DVD version has the standard DVD on the other side of the disc.  It's also listed as a "collector's" edition so maybe it'll have the same commentary on this one too.

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #298 on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:20 PM »

Hi DirtBiker,

Has BBM already been released in HD?

Yes, it's being released on the same day as the standard DVD.  It's listed as having the standard def. DVD on one side and the HD-DVD on the other.

• Ennis
« Reply #299 on: Dec 18, 2006, 04:26 PM »
Is the HD version then set for release with the "de-lux" edition in January?