funny how i keep coming back to this thread and reading the posts. Is he or I isn't he? If it wasn't for that sex thing, it could of been the greatest bromance ever told, but it turned out to be the greatest romance ever told. Ennis never thought of being sexual with Alma, was it just conventional thinking that sex before marriage is a sin, or just part of what was suppose to happen, part of the "rules", you get a woman, get her pregnant, funny how Ennis brought up at to Alma if she didn't want his kids he be more than happy to leave her alone. With Jack convention went out the window, drunk or cold stone sober, he wanted him, a loved him. To throw everything out of the window, all you believed, or were taught to believe is a hard thing to do or live with, but Ennis kept his toes in the water for twenty years, and Jack stayed with him hoping one day he'll just go a head and jump in, "hey the water is fine"
To say it out loud, to reconcile with yourself that you're a man who loves men, can be hard to face for so many of us. We fall into destructive things, self loathing, drugs, drinking, random sex with random men. It was hard for Ennis. Not all of us ride off into the sunset with the man we love, when we don't love ourselves enough. Where can we go to say I'm afraid of the way I feel, and that's its ok to feel these things, that it is who we are, and how we love, and we love men. And at Ennis and Jack time and place I can't even imagine how it was for them, I could love Paul, hold his hand and walk down the streets of Chelsea in New York City, live there with him and no one thinks nothing of us. But to be able to let yourself do what you want most is the real fight.
It reminds me of a button I saw a friend of mind had, "I can't even think straight", to me that's where it start, from our own mind, soul, our heart. Its not so much the act of sex, as it is the act of living knowing you're who you really are and embracing it, holding it up high above your head, we're getting there a lot of us are already there. Ennis never got that message and he loved in his self loathing of that of love.
Ask him if he was queer, he'll knock you on your ass,but there was real pain that last meeting with Jack, He was facing what he was, and losing Jack at the same time.
Was Ennis gay? I don't care, he just loved this guy called Jack.
thanks for listening to me.