No worries, mpj. I knew what you meant, but I just want to make sure it is clearly stated. It's easy sometimes for these subtle ironies to be lost in translation.
Oh,no,I wasn't worried,nor angry,even if maybe it seemed so ¡

I was just trying to explain,in an ironic way,how "grateful" we should be to these two men...Because,by means of not giving their children the love they needed,contributed to increase in them the need and the skills of giving and receiving love.
Good observation that the mothers are the counterparts/opposite of the fathers.
Ying and Yang.

Here,I meant how necessary had been for both boys someone who was the opposite of two fathers who only could teach their children to hate.In order not to be a copy of them,Ennis and Jack,or whoever,need clearly another teacher to learn the value of love and make it grow before hate,intolerance and repression.
Beautifully stated and exactly what I feel about the basis for the love between Ennis and Jack...their great need to be loved, valued, and the surprise at finding it fulfilled by someone unexpected.
Here, I respectfully disagree. As we said, the source of love in these cowboys came from their mothers. Without the horrible fathers, the boys would be free to soar, and love as well as needing to be loved. The fathers diminished the love in their sons, not enhanced them. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.
This image came to mind as I struggle to explain how I see the situation. Love is like water. Mothers are sources of water in their children. Greater the mother's love, stronger and more powerful the currents that spring from the souls of the children. Fathers are like the channels that shape the flow of the water, directing them where to go, how to do useful work, or get wasted spilling over banks, draining uselessly into the swamps. The horrible fathers made their sons lives miserable, by either capping those powerful wells shut, as in the case of Ennis, so that the water must explode in anger once in a while, or degrade them into useless shallow puddles, as in the case of Jack, when he had no directions, no confidence to build anything lasting, do anything physical, except to ride a piece of stock for eight seconds, and even then he wasn't any much good at it, the dumb ass missing.
With great fathers, the love in these boys would have found the right channels, and been the nourishment that lasted them for a life time. True, some fathers are also like mothers, inspiring love in their children, but those are great loving fathers, not these abusive horrible men. Sorry, mpj, there ain't nothing in the world that can make me feel any sympathy for the disgusting stud duck or the self-righteous hateful man who celebrated death. I wish they had never been born, and Ennis and Jack grew up with loving fathers, so their story could have a happy ending instead.
You have exposed your theories as beautifully as always,Lance ¡

I really love the comparison you make with what love is and what kind of influence this lack of love had in each one of them.However,I think we are saying the same,but in different ways-and much better in your case,of course...-.I agree in that,with two loving fathers,the most similar to their mothers they could be,both boys had known how to "canalise" their emotions and the way of showing them.But I was referring to the boomerang effect -to call it somehow...-that having a father not very fond of showing love to their children can have in them in the middle-long term.
Sometimes,abusers are clearly sons of another abuser,and this is something proved enough;but in a more positive personality,not being a loved child takes you in the older age to look desperately for love and to be able to give and received it in a greater way than someone who has has two normal father and mother.Somehow,Ennis and Jack were two uprooted boys,and they were so "thanks" to their fathers,not to their mothers;their bestiality was what made them have a desperate need of feeling love and being valued for someone else,since specially OMT was never able to support his son in anyhing he did.
By the way,there's something in your post I think I must be angry about...

You say:
Sorry, mpj, there ain't nothing in the world that can make me feel any sympathy for the disgusting stud duck or the self-righteous hateful man who celebrated death. Oh,my ¡ You don't need to be sorry before me ¡ I'm not defending,nor I have never done it,these two specimen who confounded what being a man means with a simple excess of testosterone taken in the worst sense...Nor,of course,never in my !@#$ life have I felt any kind of sympathy for people like that,because my way of thinking,my ideology and my feelings are in the antipodes of all this.With all my respect.