Author Topic: Jack's love for Ennis  (Read 159198 times)

Offline Twisted

• Jack + Ennis
  • "Ain't no reins on this one"
Re: Jack's love for Ennis
« Reply #210 on: Nov 13, 2006, 10:56 AM »
Thomas, I don't know what to say. It's perfect. That's all. :\'(

Same here.! :\'(
The most difficult scene was the paragraph where, on the mountain, Ennis holds Jack and rocks back and forth, humming, the moment mixed with childhood loss and his refusal to admit he was holding a man.

- Annie Proulx -

From the vibration of the floorboard on which they both stood, Ennis could feel how hard Jack was shaking.

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
« Reply #211 on: Nov 13, 2006, 11:09 AM »
i just jumped on this thread strolling around - i cannot stop sobbing.
such wonderful posts, such beautiful answers and even more questions to my feelings ...

how can you bare a situation like this? in 20 years time (16), from time to time, never talking about anything? never expressing the slightest feelings? never trying to find a way?

i had a little story, not even close to j&e of course, it lasted for about 6 years - seen each other twice a year; me trying to do what i could to bring light and futur into it, the other just taking, refusing to accept that there were deeper emotions between us. after trying and trying i didn't come to a year's appointment; i couldn't stand the idea of being left alone again any more, not achieving what i yearned to have.
took me quite a while; but was good for me and my emotional health...

until i came in touch with BBM....
but i know YOU are there - help me get out of this...

tizi
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #212 on: Nov 13, 2006, 09:51 PM »
Beautiful Thomas  :\'(
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #213 on: Nov 13, 2006, 09:57 PM »
Hi Tizi,

Their story is our story. I'm sorry things didn't work out the way you wanted them to but you had the strength to do right by yourself and that's something to be proud of.  ^f^

This reminded me of something I had been thinking about: in 20 years time (16), from time to time, never talking about anything? never expressing the slightest feelings? never trying to find a way?   I know as one who is expressive that it is hard when you can't be open. Not only was Jack not being validated or hearing what he needed/wanted to hear he was supressed in that he couldn't tell Ennis how he felt- good or bad. Jack held a fear that if he issued an ultimatum he'd lose Ennis and on the flip side if he expressed his feelings (verbally) then he'd risk scaring Ennis off. He had no outlet to share the joy and the pain that this relationship brought him-not even with the one who was making him feel both.  :(
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

greenfrog

« Reply #214 on: Nov 13, 2006, 11:02 PM »

Faith lights us, even through the Grave,
 being the Evidence of Things not seen.
 And this is the Comfort of the Good,
 that the Grave cannot hold them,
 and that they live as soon as they die.
 For Death is no more than a Turning
 of us over from Time to Eternity.
 Death then, being the Way and Condition of Life,
 we cannot love to live, if we cannot bear to die.

(William Penn)

Beautiul poem tpe  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #215 on: Nov 13, 2006, 11:32 PM »
Hi Tizi,

Their story is our story. I'm sorry things didn't work out the way you wanted them to but you had the strength to do right by yourself and that's something to be proud of.  ^f^

This reminded me of something I had been thinking about: in 20 years time (16), from time to time, never talking about anything? never expressing the slightest feelings? never trying to find a way?   I know as one who is expressive that it is hard when you can't be open. Not only was Jack not being validated or hearing what he needed/wanted to hear he was supressed in that he couldn't tell Ennis how he felt- good or bad. Jack held a fear that if he issued an ultimatum he'd lose Ennis and on the flip side if he expressed his feelings (verbally) then he'd risk scaring Ennis off. He had no outlet to share the joy and the pain that this relationship brought him-not even with the one who was making him feel both.  :(

Oh God, you're absolutely right...poor Jack... :-\\
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

greenfrog

« Reply #216 on: Nov 14, 2006, 12:07 AM »
Hi Tizi,

Very true Michelle  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2006, 11:54 PM by greenfrog »

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #217 on: Nov 14, 2006, 01:03 AM »
Hi Tizi,

So, so true, LJN.  It's so tragic.  Not just Ennis, that is obvious -- but Jack, the incredible capacity for love he had, stifled by Ennis really.  Exactly as you said.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline Brokeback_1

• I couldn't stand it no more. So i fixed it.
  • Alma Jr.
« Reply #218 on: Nov 14, 2006, 01:26 AM »
This is a pretty good and very practical thread...I will be posting here, methinks!!

Offline Edmund-Paul, The Baron of Ree

• Ennis
« Reply #219 on: Nov 14, 2006, 05:47 AM »
Everyone - you must see this! It is brilliant. A slow motion version of the flashback scene. Long, slow, and so sad, so well done.

Learn from Brokeback Mountain. Make the most of your life & love from now on.
Because if you can fix it - you don't have to stand it.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #220 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:12 AM »
Thanks friends, for all the wonderful posts.

tizi17, have no regrets.  As with Jack, you tried all you could.   Having stopped trying does not lessen this to any degree.  Be at peace.  The dream does not die.

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #221 on: Nov 14, 2006, 09:17 AM »
Everyone - you must see this! It is brilliant. A slow motion version of the flashback scene. Long, slow, and so sad, so well done.

Sorry to go OT but just wanted to mention that the music here is (I'm told) the music that Annie Proulx was listening to when she wrote the dozy embrace scene, which to me makes it that much more poignant.

To get back on topic, if you follow the original short story, it says: "Later, that dozy embrace solidified in his memory as the single moment of artless, charmed happiness in their separate and difficult lives. Nothing marred it, even the knowledge that Ennis would not then embrace him face to face because he did not want to see nor feel that it was Jack he held. And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that. Let be, let be."

That Jack would keep going back over and over knowing that this might be all that Ennis could ever give him says a great deal, I think, about the strength of his love.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #222 on: Nov 14, 2006, 12:47 PM »
This is a pretty good and very practical thread...I will be posting here, methinks!!

hey - don't i know you? being back again? welcome! :h)

tizi

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #223 on: Nov 14, 2006, 08:18 PM »
That Jack would keep going back over and over knowing that this might be all that Ennis could ever give him says a great deal, I think, about the strength of his love.

Ok...I'm crying now. :\'(
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

greenfrog

« Reply #224 on: Nov 14, 2006, 11:56 PM »

So beautiful . . .  and sad  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #225 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:01 AM »

:\'( Beautifully said. And I think if Ennis had said yes to him after all of those years it would have been worth it to Jack.

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #226 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:34 AM »
In my flakier moments I can see Jack as an analogue of the knight and Ennis as the lady in the courtly love tradition, where the knight meets the lady's demands, often by going far away for long periods, and risking all sorts of dangers, and returns hoping for some small acknowledgement of his achievement, even just a smile.

That's what Jack is hoping for when he arrives after the message about the divorce, I think; yes, a life with Ennis but first an acknowledgement of his own persistance and the strength of his love.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #227 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:43 AM »
In my flakier moments I can see Jack as an analogue of the knight and Ennis as the lady in the courtly love tradition, where the knight meets the lady's demands, often by going far away for long periods, and risking all sorts of dangers, and returns hoping for some small acknowledgement of his achievement, even just a smile.

That's what Jack is hoping for when he arrives after the message about the divorce, I think; yes, a life with Ennis but first an acknowledgement of his own persistance and the strength of his love.

I don't think this is overly flaky -- I can see this analogy.  It's a great idea, the courtly love tradition as pertains to Ennis and Jack.

But boy, just talking about that scene when Jack comes to Ennis after Ennis's divorce...just breaks my heart.  So, speaking of this, I wonder how Ennis conveyed the divorce information to Jack.  Jack said, "I got your message about the divorce."  Then when he says, "So here I am," oh god.  He is so open and vulnerable there -- kind of holds his arms out, giving himself to Ennis, "here I am."  And gets turned away...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #228 on: Nov 15, 2006, 08:38 AM »

...and his quiet desperation.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #229 on: Nov 15, 2006, 08:43 AM »

It is a tragedy that he never got it.  That was perhaps why he remembered the dozy embrace best of all -- it was the closest Ennis ever got to a quiet assurance of that love.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #230 on: Nov 15, 2006, 08:47 AM »
I don't think this is overly flaky -- I can see this analogy.  It's a great idea, the courtly love tradition as pertains to Ennis and Jack.

But boy, just talking about that scene when Jack comes to Ennis after Ennis's divorce...just breaks my heart.  So, speaking of this, I wonder how Ennis conveyed the divorce information to Jack.  Jack said, "I got your message about the divorce."  Then when he says, "So here I am," oh god.  He is so open and vulnerable there -- kind of holds his arms out, giving himself to Ennis, "here I am."  And gets turned away...

kathy

I do think it was that moment of vulnerabilty that was so devastating.  There was nowhere to hide the loss of face and dignity.  It broke Jack.

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #231 on: Nov 15, 2006, 08:59 AM »

kathy

I do think it was that moment of vulnerabilty that was so devastating.  There was nowhere to hide the loss of face and dignity.  It broke Jack.

Especially after all this time, settling for 'scraps'. How he must have felt with the idea that finally his heart would be fed and his dream would come true. This was an especially long and brutal fall from the height of that hope to the devastation of the reality (the rejection). [And in my opinion, this was masterfully portrayed by Jake Gyllenhaal]

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #232 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:07 PM »
It was beautifully done.  You can see the anticipation in jack's face -- smacking his lips almost.  A hungry eagerness.  And then, the fall.  He tried to do it with grace.  Even when he wept inside the truck was so restrained. 

You can feel the intense love and frustration in those details.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #233 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:18 PM »
I should have known better than to stop by here while at work. You guys are killing me.  :\'(

I loved the analogy WW and the posts about the divorce?  :\'(

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #234 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:23 PM »
I've been trying to read this and other threads from the early stages.  They are indeed very moving.  I had forgotten how moving some of the early posts and threads have been and remain...

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #235 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:30 PM »
They stand the test of time Thomas! O0
Undoubtedly because our instinctive responses to this love story don't change.

Offline welshwitch

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #236 on: Nov 15, 2006, 12:44 PM »
That scene is such an illustration of the proverb "It's better to travel hopefully than to arrive." Jack has such high hopes - we've all been there, but few of us have had our hopes dashed so totally, so immediately, so finally.

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #237 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:11 PM »
If there is anything to describe Ennis's love for Jack, it is faith.

If there is anything to describe Jack's love for Ennis, it is hope.

Offline tizi17

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #238 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:11 PM »
it's the worst for me.
i could understand letting be after BBM - the marriage and all.
i understood even the leaving again after 4 years - children and all.
but no! never do i understand why this! everything was open - but probably not ennis'mind.... still so sorry... despite all the fanfic things.

tizi

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #239 on: Nov 15, 2006, 01:39 PM »
It wouldn't break our hearts so much if we didn't truly believe that Jack loves Ennis.
But we do and so it does.