Brokeback Mountain Forum @ ennisjack.com

The Movie & Story => Characters, Quotes & Scenes => Topic started by: ethan on Jan 28, 2006, 11:14 AM

Title: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: ethan on Jan 28, 2006, 11:14 AM
BBM is a emotional roller coaster ride. We have discussed many sad parts of this movie which affected us tremendously. Let's talk about some happy stuff.

What are the scenes/moments which make you smile?

Here are a few that come to my mind.

1. Jack said "you folks just stop at Ennis?"

2. Jack said "No more beans"  Ennis "sick of beans" when his picked up the supplies from Basque.

3. After Ennis fired and pushed Jack.

4. Ennis "that the most I've spoke in year"

There are many more....add some please.



Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Toadily on Jan 28, 2006, 01:18 PM
I love the scene where they are on horses and Ennis says to Jack as he is playing harmonica "quiet down now or you'll run off the sheep again" and he smiles so sweet.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Soldier-of-Rome on Jan 28, 2006, 01:24 PM
My favorite funny line/moment is when Jack says he may shoot one of the sheep and Ennis replies that they are supposed to guard the sheep, "not eat 'em."  I laughed out loud both times I saw it.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: ethan on Jan 28, 2006, 01:38 PM
My favorite funny line/moment is when Jack says he may shoot one of the sheep and Ennis replies that they are supposed to guard the sheep, "not eat 'em."  I laughed out loud both times I saw it.

Yes, that makes me smile every single time. Good work ethics if you ask me.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: *Froggy* on Jan 28, 2006, 04:02 PM
1- You're folks stopped at Ennis;

2- Jack showing off with horse to get Ennis' attention;

3- the whole scene where Jack pretends he is rodeoing and falls, and the comments made by Ennis;

4- Jack fu**in' twist, and sign of relief on Ennis' face;

5- Jack telling his FIL to sit down;

...Ennis asking Alma Jr about wrong bf !...many more!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: stephan on Jan 28, 2006, 05:00 PM
I smiled at the cuts where Jack is looking down at the camp where Ennis is, and Ennis looks up the mountain where Jack is. I smiled at the line "Sounds like some high-class entertainment" after Jack talks about Lureen's calculator.
Other bitter-sweet smiles :
1. Ennis's impatience at the window, waiting.
2. Ennis telling his girls the story of his 4 seconds in a rodeo.
Stephan
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: *Froggy* on Jan 28, 2006, 05:04 PM
I smiled at the cuts where Jack is looking down at the camp where Ennis is, and Ennis looks up the mountain where Jack is.

 :D :D :D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: stephan on Jan 28, 2006, 05:48 PM
And I really smiled at Ennis, toothbrush in mouth, scrounging up some gear to go fishing... Alma wasn't smiling, though. Stephan
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: ethan on Jan 28, 2006, 05:54 PM
And I really smiled at Ennis, toothbrush in mouth, scrounging up some gear to go fishing... Alma wasn't smiling, though. Stephan

You see how happy Ennis was for fishing trip...just like kids preparing for their field trips. <sigh>
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: rabjr1 on Jan 28, 2006, 07:04 PM
Any scene where Ennis has that "comeIwannalayyou" look in his eyes. 
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Krispera on Jan 28, 2006, 08:58 PM
When Ennis came and hold Jack from behind.. after a while Ennis leave and we see Jack puppy eyes. wonderful moment :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: malaysian79 on Feb 03, 2006, 11:20 PM
3- the whole scene where Jack pretends he is rodeoing and falls, and the comments made by Ennis;

Heartwarming too...
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: rane99 on Feb 03, 2006, 11:47 PM
1. I'm pretty good with a can opener though." (Jack witha  sly smile)
2. "Trying  to get a footrub, dummy."  I always laugh a little when Cassie says this... so unexpected to hear her say dummy. lol
3. "You'll run the sheep off again if you don't down quiet down'
4.  "Here, Rodeo can get it" 
  Lots more!!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: chameau on Feb 03, 2006, 11:57 PM
I already posted this before  ???

After Alma and Ennis have this big argument about Alma not serving supper and going to work on overtime.

Their daughters are on on the swing...

Ennis "you girls want a push?"

The girls "No"

 ;D ;D ;D

Bizarre, while I was about to post this, there was a TV add for BBM.

I'm not joking!

Yeeeaw!

Go BBM go!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: alicat on Feb 04, 2006, 01:39 PM
1) We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em

2) Ennis to jack 'I'm gettin' tired of your dumbass messin'

3) When Ennis goes into the supermarket to see Alma and Munro says 'she's in the condiment's aisle and Ennis says 'the what??' lol

4) Ennis saying to Jack 'that's the most i've spoke in a year'

5) 'It's too early in the summer to be sick of beans'

6) I also like, and this isn't probably supposed to be funny, but when, after their second night together, Ennis comes back to sit with Jack after finding the dead sheep - as Ennis stands over him, Jack sort of rolls his eyes in exasperation at Ennis's behaviour and it was almost like Jack was thinking 'christ Ennis, make your mind up!' I don't know why but it amused me.

7) when Aguirre says to Jack 'There's not much you can do about it down there neither, not unless you can cure pneumonia'   

8) When Randall says to Jack 'I couldn't get a word in long enough to ask with Lasharn - woman talks a blue stream' or something.

Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 04, 2006, 01:45 PM
8 ) When Randall says to Jack 'I couldn't get a word in long enough to ask with Lasharn - woman talks a blue stream' or something.

Jack Twist: Ever notice how a woman'll powder her nose before a party starts, and the powder it again when the party's over? Why powder your nose just to go home to bed?
Randall Malone: Don't know. Even if I wanted to know, couldn't get a word in with Lashawn long enough to ask. Woman talks a blue streak.

Love it too!  ;D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: rikcub on Feb 05, 2006, 11:05 AM


Jack Twist: Ever notice how a woman'll powder her nose before a party starts, and the powder it again when the party's over? Why powder your nose just to go home to bed?
Randall Malone: Don't know. Even if I wanted to know, couldn't get a word in with Lashawn long enough to ask. Woman talks a blue streak.

Love it too!  ;D

Quote

That is great...others for me:

"Your folks stop at Ennis?"

Jack: "Your folks run you off?"
Ennis: "Ran themselves off. One curve in 43 miles and they missed it."

Jack; "Anything interesting up there in heaven?"
Ennis: "Sending up a prayer of thanks"
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: tpe on Feb 06, 2006, 09:18 AM
YEEHAW!!!!!!!!!!    :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Wonderful scene.  Beautifully enacted.  It warms you all over...
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: cybernaut on Feb 06, 2006, 10:38 AM
God, there are just so many... And again I was the only one giggling and chuckling in the cinema while others were yawning... Eeeks!

1) Jack says, "Yeaaah!" pushes Ennis. Ennis turned and said, "I'm gettin tired of your dumb-ass missin"...
"Don't let us ranch sticks get into the way of the elk..."  :P

2) Jack trying to persuade Ennis to swap his job by being modest, "I can't cook with that but I am pretty good with the can opener".
I was like, oh yeah right...  ::)  Then when he pushed that lid in the can, I laughed...  :D

3) Harmonica!! Ennis felt there was something wrong about the tent and Jack said, "It aint going nowhere, let it be!".
Ennis then bitched to Jack, "Your harmonica doesn't sound quite right either!"...
Jack said, "Yeah, it sound kinda flat, Mary threw me... She got lucky."
Ennis said, "If I got lucky with the harmonica, I would gotten a broken tooth!"
Jack chucked.  :D

4) "Speak for yourself. You may be a sinner but I aint got the opportunity"  :P

5) "I am just saying a prayer of thanks.... you forgot to bring the harmonica, enjoying the peace and quiet."

6) "As far as our marriage goes, we can do it over the phone."

7) "Earlier today, I was castrating calves..."

8) And somebody please shut Lashawn up. :D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: kcristob on Feb 06, 2006, 07:21 PM
Almost the whole FIRST Randy Quaid scene:  The door slam that keeps them out at first, then the "get in here" and then the "get out of here" moments

Jack - about getting bucked off "Well she got lucky"

The exchange between them when they change roles.  It's sweet and I think they are both finally doing what suits them best and there is relief (esp with jack)

the whole exchange when Ennis opens up.  Especially jack's face when he's smiling to himself, and then ennis' face "what?"

Oh man, I need to see this movie again!!!!!!!!!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: chameau on Feb 06, 2006, 07:29 PM
What makes me smile, is posted every time I had a post on this board.

My avatar I mean.

Ennis smiling at Jack's fake rodeo scene.

Wo! Wo!

Yeeeaw!

I love that smile!

We don't have that much occasions to see Ennis smiling during the movie.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Feb 06, 2006, 10:53 PM
I've commented on this in other posts..

I just LUV the look on Ennis's face during the reunion scene as he rushes to the window when Jack pulls up to the apartment building. That look says "I HAVE MISSED THE HELL OUTTA YOU!" The kiss that follows....oh..my..GAWD!!

I've only had two kisses in my lifetime that remotely compare to that one...eight years ago and 23 years ago!  Sometimes I hear Rhett Butler in my dreams reminding me of his famous words, "you need to be kissed...and OFTEN!"

OK, I'm straying here...anyway this scene (among several) really makes me smile.

Oh yeah! Before I forget...this scene makes me giggle every time:

   Ennis:     "Hey Monroe. Is Alma here?"
   Monroe:  "Yeah, she's in the condiments isle."
   Ennis:     "The what?"
   Monroe:  "Ketchup!"

I'll never hear "condiments" and maintain a straight face ever again!  ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: flikker2005 on Feb 06, 2006, 10:59 PM
Ennis and Jack in bed at the Motel;

"I swear I didn't know we was gonna get into this ... yes I did, I redlined it all the way up here"

This always makes me smile.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: CherryCake on Feb 06, 2006, 11:12 PM
"you gonna run the sheep off again if you don't quiet down'
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Feb 06, 2006, 11:18 PM
"you gonna run the sheep off again if you don't quiet down'

Ennis looked at Jack with such obvious affection while making that remark.  How can anyone not smile during that scene?
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: cybernaut on Feb 07, 2006, 04:13 AM
   Ennis:     "Hey Monroe. Is Alma here?"
   Monroe:  "Yeah, she's in the condiments isle."
   Ennis:     "The what?"
   Monroe:  "Ketchup!"

I'll never hear "condiments" and maintain a straight face ever again!  ;)

For me I didn't find it kinda funny... Ennis wasn't educated I guess but I think he didn't shop a lot except for "ketchup"...
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: christie wood on Feb 08, 2006, 09:51 AM
I LOVE this scene (the one that builds up to the 1st tent scene).

Ennis and Jack are getting drunk by the fire.  Jack is singing some pentacostal hymm, very loudly and out of tune, and Ennis says "thank you", very drunkenly, and then asks Jack "what is pentacost?" and Jack says "I don't know what a pentacost is".  So funny. Then the whisky bottle is empty, and Ennis is so drunk he can hardly stand up.  Suggests that he'll just catch "40 winks" before going up to the sheep.  Jack tries to encourage Ennis into the tent even at this point, but Ennis is so drunk he's unable to move. 

That whole scene is so lovely.....and because we know what it leads to, it's nice to have that playful interaction between them, knowing what we know.  They love being together.  So, so sweet.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Feb 08, 2006, 10:12 AM
   Ennis:     "Hey Monroe. Is Alma here?"
   Monroe:  "Yeah, she's in the condiments isle."
   Ennis:     "The what?"
   Monroe:  "Ketchup!"

I'll never hear "condiments" and maintain a straight face ever again!  ;)

For me I didn't find it kinda funny... Ennis wasn't educated I guess but I think he didn't shop a lot except for "ketchup"...

I'll clarify myself here.  My amusement wasn't based on Ennis's limited education.  It was based on Monroe's choice to say "condiments."  I seriously doubt that word was used too often in that area of the country. I'll bet he would get that same response from most men entering that store.  I still think Ennis was adorable in this scene.  For me it was too cute not to giggle.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Cowboy Cody on Feb 08, 2006, 10:17 AM
"you gonna run the sheep off again if you don't quiet down'

Ennis looked at Jack with such obvious affection while making that remark.  How can anyone not smile during that scene?

I love it, makes me laugh, and my boy keeps right on a playin'
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: alicat on Feb 08, 2006, 01:15 PM
>>3) Harmonica!! Ennis felt there was something wrong about the tent and Jack said, "It aint going nowhere, let it be!".
Ennis then bitched to Jack, "Your harmonica doesn't sound quite right either!"...
Jack said, "Yeah, it sound kinda flat, Mary threw me... She got lucky."
Ennis said, "If I got lucky with the harmonica, I would gotten a broken tooth!"
Jack chucked. 


Did Ennis really say 'If I got lucky with that harmonica, I would've gotten a broken tooth!'? I thought he said 'Well, if I got lucky, that harmonica would've gotten broken too?  Just goes to show how much I misheard in the film! 

There are so many funny lines/moments in the film! I will clean my ears out before my next viewing!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: jimmypage on Feb 08, 2006, 04:09 PM
The lines
"He's from texas"
"Texans don't drink coffee"
between Ennis and Alma... :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: tpe on Feb 08, 2006, 04:11 PM
'Well, if I got lucky, that harmonica would've gotten broken too?

I think this is correct...
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Feb 08, 2006, 04:41 PM
I think this is the exact wording

"Well if I'd got lucky, that harmonica would've broken in two."
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Rønnaug on Feb 08, 2006, 05:16 PM
When they go for one of theyr camping trips and we see from afar that JAck sits at the fire and Ennis is coming over, I think Ennis says something like "guess what I brought?" and Jack replies "Beans?" and then Ennis says " I'll cook 'em like I used to"

Not so much HA HA HA funny but shows Ennis has  a very nice sense of humour
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: aimi15 on Feb 08, 2006, 05:20 PM
 :)This isn't a big belly laugh moment but i love the opening scenes when Jack's kinda parading in front of Ennis and watching him in car mirror, and Ennis sneaking glances at him. Its what we all do when we think no-ones looking. :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Rønnaug on Feb 08, 2006, 05:27 PM
On Joe Aguirres door:

Trespassers will be shot
Survivers will be shot again
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: camom on Feb 08, 2006, 08:02 PM
When they go for one of theyr camping trips and we see from afar that JAck sits at the fire and Ennis is coming over, I think Ennis says something like "guess what I brought?" and Jack replies "Beans?" and then Ennis says " I'll cook 'em like I used to"

Not so much HA HA HA funny but shows Ennis has  a very nice sense of humour

I read this in the screenplay before I saw the movie today, and I didn't think it was actually in the movie 'cause I hadn't noticed it before, but it is!  Pretty funny little bit, and it does show that Ennis can have a sense of humor (early on, anyway).

camom
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: LuvJackNasty on Feb 08, 2006, 08:23 PM
I love the "I'm pretty good with a can opener."

Everything mentioned in prior posts make me smile too- And that kiss?!  ;D That was Hot!

The part that cracks me up the most is when he sheep get all mixed up and Jack is dragging the poor thing and he says "Bleep Aguirre" and Ennis says "Yeah that's right Bleep Aguirre". I guess it's just the delivery of the lines. My friend and I had a good belly laugh last night on that one.

I also like when Jack says to Lureen "That teacher don't like me. I complain too much" {something to that effect}
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: cybernaut on Feb 08, 2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah.. Jack is such a bitchy queen!  :D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Cowboy Cody on Feb 08, 2006, 08:40 PM
If Jack, or Ennis for that matter, was the parent of one of my students, they would be getting straight A's, but with me still demanding a parent-teacher conference! ;D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: CherryCake on Feb 08, 2006, 08:42 PM
If Jack, or Ennis for that matter, was the parent of one of my students, they would be getting straight A's, but with me still demanding a parent-teacher conference! ;D

lol Now that's good teachin'   :) :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: rane99 on Feb 08, 2006, 09:38 PM
One of the first cute things--wasn't really even a line!-- was when the boys were in the bar having a beer and Ennis wanted to use Jack's lighter.  He couldn't even ask, he was still uncomfortable, shy,  and all he does is say" Can  I um"  .. and  gesture toward the lighter.  The looks that Jack gives him is like... hmmm.  What are you thoughts on this? I thought this may even been ad-libbed...
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: cybernaut on Feb 08, 2006, 11:56 PM
If Jack, or Ennis for that matter, was the parent of one of my students, they would be getting straight A's, but with me still demanding a parent-teacher conference! ;D
;D
Well, at least there would be one parent fighting for their kid..
I was actually told by a friend that gay parents tend to overspoilt their kids, pandering to whatever whims and fancies their kids have so much that the kids "control" them... :(
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: camom on Feb 09, 2006, 12:11 AM
I like how Ennis always makes that grunting "unh" noise to punctuate his speech.  "I ain't in the poorhouse--unh"  As if he can't articulate what he really wants to say, so he uses that noise instead.  It adds a lot to the character.

camom 
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: christie wood on Feb 09, 2006, 03:55 AM
I agree Rane99, the scene where Ennis is still far too shy and uncomfortable to even address Jack properly, is really well done, and it would be really nice to think it was ad-libbed.  Heath Ledger seems to have been able to become the character of Ennis, it wouldn't surprise me if Ang just let him do whatever to make Ennis become more real....I think this is just one of the many little things that Heath does to create this amazing complex character.  Not being able to even ask for a cigarette light seems far too awkward for Ennis.  So sweet though.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: justlikethisalways on Feb 09, 2006, 04:56 AM
During Thanksgiving dinner at the Twist household -- when we see the 10-year old Bobby Twist. Does anyone else here think that Bobby looks EXACTLY like a miniature version of L.D. Newsome, just as L.D. said when Bobby was a newborn? Funny (great job of casting), but also kind of sad...for Jack.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: cybernaut on Feb 09, 2006, 05:57 AM
I agree Rane99, the scene where Ennis is still far too shy and uncomfortable to even address Jack properly, is really well done, and it would be really nice to think it was ad-libbed.  Heath Ledger seems to have been able to become the character of Ennis, it wouldn't surprise me if Ang just let him do whatever to make Ennis become more real....I think this is just one of the many little things that Heath does to create this amazing complex character.  Not being able to even ask for a cigarette light seems far too awkward for Ennis.  So sweet though.

Hmm... I thought that silent men don't talk a lot. That lighter scene is very typical macho men... He has that cigarette in his mouth and he wouldn't think that Jack would refuse him. Its that smokers' etiquette. Me not a smoker..

Another example would be you see an empty chair but you have to share a table with a stranger. You wouldn't say, "Is anybody sitting on that chair?" because its an empty chair. You would probably say, "You mind?"  :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: camom on Feb 09, 2006, 12:01 PM
During Thanksgiving dinner at the Twist household -- when we see the 10-year old Bobby Twist. Does anyone else here think that Bobby looks EXACTLY like a miniature version of L.D. Newsome, just as L.D. said when Bobby was a newborn? Funny (great job of casting), but also kind of sad...for Jack.

Yes!  His head is blocky, not at all like Jack's.  Jack does seem to have a close connection with Bobby, though--he's more concerned about the tutor than Lureen is.  Poor kid.  You could do another movie on what the loss of Jack would mean to him.

camom
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: scruffy on Feb 09, 2006, 12:31 PM
Jack's smile lights up my day.  There's something genuine about it.  I loved it when Lureen takes off her bra.  "You ARE in a hurry."
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 09, 2006, 02:29 PM
Well I know I am completely off topic...but reading this thread makes me smile..all the good bits and best scenes (funny ones) from BBM are here!

And I love reading the members comments..so nice !

x moua

Froggy
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Feb 09, 2006, 03:35 PM
One scene that tickles me early in the film is when they are making preprations for the trip up the mountain.  Jack is getting a bouncy introduction to one of the horses provided for the trip.  Ennis warns or reminds Jack that particular breed of horse is easily startled.  Jack quickly responds declaring that he has never been thrown by that type of horse.  He then tells Ennis to let's get moving unless he wants to sit around tying knots all day.  The look on Ennis's face makes me think of several things that could be running thru his mind at that moment:

  1.  "You cocky little SOB!! Who are you trying to impress?"

  2.   "That horse is going to toss his little a** at the first opportunity!"

  3.  "I might hafta kick his a** before this trip's over!"  ;D

Regardless of what he may have been thinking, it's the first scene where Ennis appears to begin reacting to Jack.  It's a cute scene!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: cybernaut on Feb 09, 2006, 06:06 PM
There is another similar scene in the movie as if Jack couldn't get the horse to move except to "startle" around.
Ennis had that grin on his face.  "See I told you so." :P

I guess Jack sees Ennis as a "problem-fixer" while he is the "idea-generator". Both of them would make a great team.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Cowboy Cody on Feb 09, 2006, 09:21 PM
There is another similar scene in the movie as if Jack couldn't get the horse to move except to "startle" around.
Ennis had that grin on his face.  "See I told you so." :P

I guess Jack sees Ennis as a "problem-fixer" while he is the "idea-generator". Both of them would make a great team.

WOW! I think you hit on something I couldn't figure out!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: CherryCake on Feb 10, 2006, 09:17 PM
Dont for get that scene where jack is riding off to the sheep for the first might and Ennis watches him leave... Ennis leans a little to his left to get a good shot of Jack.. I thought that was cute... it made me smile cuz I think this is the first time Ennis gets to get a good look at Jack with out worrying if Jack is lookin back...
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: rikcub on Feb 10, 2006, 09:53 PM
Alma Jr. to Cassie....unintentionally of course....when Cassie asks if she thinks Ennis is the marrying kind "Your good enough"   ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Feb 10, 2006, 10:40 PM
Alma Jr. to Cassie....unintentionally of course....when Cassie asks if she thinks Ennis is the marrying kind "Your good enough"   ;)

I remember my response during my first viewing..."That's Ennis's daughter alright! Straight to the point...no drama!"
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: cybernaut on Feb 10, 2006, 11:30 PM
City Slickin' Cowboy: I like Junior.

Her quiet demeanor and her bubbly grace, despite the lack of development in the movie, is one of the girls guys will drool and fight over.  :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Feb 10, 2006, 11:36 PM
City Slickin' Cowboy: I like Junior.

Her quiet demeanor and her bubbly grace, despite the lack of development in the movie, is one of the girls guys will drool and fight over.  :)

She's GREAT!  I would've liked to have seen the wedding.  It would have been nice to see if this Kurt fella was the type who really deserved her.  GAWD...do I sound like a protective parent or what?  ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 11, 2006, 12:04 PM
This thread is MY BBM Moments that Make me Smile! :D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: rikcub on Feb 11, 2006, 05:24 PM
To give Lureen (and Anne) some credit...her facial expression when Jack shouts down her dad...the "ignorant old b@#tard" is subtle and absolutely priceless!  :D  :D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Feb 11, 2006, 06:34 PM
To give Lureen (and Anne) some credit...her facial expression when Jack shouts down her dad...the "ignorant old b@#tard" is subtle and absolutely priceless!  :D  :D

Yer right! This scene IS priceless! I think Lureen was tickled to death someone finally stood up to her Dad. As much as she probably loved her daddy, she had to have known how much of a horses a** he could be!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: stephan on Feb 12, 2006, 04:21 PM
Ennis has a line which pleases me a lot: I think we see him packing up to go fishing when Alma says there's a job offer at an electrical plant, Ennis says someting like "Clumsy as I am, I'll probably get myself electrocuted."

 :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) He's so glad to be going away with Jack that he can joke around on the spur of the moment.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Aela on Feb 12, 2006, 06:04 PM
Oh boy, several!

1. "I guess my dad was right."

2.  "You girls need a push or somethin'?"  I know I shouldn't find it funny, as it came after that ugly yelling scene, but it just cracks me up all the time!

3.  "Tired of your dumb-ass missin"

4.  "Your folks just stop at 'Ennis'?"

Also, Ennis' really bad "dancing" if you can call it that, with Cassie makes me smile.  Reminds me of awkward high school guys. 

I think I have more, but that's all I can think of right now.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: shieldmaid on Feb 12, 2006, 10:16 PM
One of my very favorite moments in the movie is when Jack comes up to Ennis's apartment to say hello to Alma before he and Ennis go off to the motel together. . . .  :)  He hears one of the girls crying and says, "You got a kid?"  Ennis replies that they have two little girls, and Jack says, "I got a boy.  Eight months old.  He smiles a lot."  That always cracks me up!  He seems so sweet there but also as though he doesn't quite know what to say . . . .
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: karind1 on Feb 13, 2006, 12:17 AM
something that makes my heart smile is Ennis rubbing Jacks arm as they are laying in bed in motel.  He does it over and over....it is so darn affectionate.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: karind1 on Feb 13, 2006, 12:19 AM
When they go for one of theyr camping trips and we see from afar that JAck sits at the fire and Ennis is coming over, I think Ennis says something like "guess what I brought?" and Jack replies "Beans?" and then Ennis says " I'll cook 'em like I used to"

Not so much HA HA HA funny but shows Ennis has  a very nice sense of humour

I read this in the screenplay before I saw the movie today, and I didn't think it was actually in the movie 'cause I hadn't noticed it before, but it is!  Pretty funny little bit, and it does show that Ennis can have a sense of humor (early on, anyway).

camom

you can hardly hear it--it is in the scene where jack is waiting for ennis with his blue parka on throwing corn and potatos into a pot.  then Ennis drives up smiles at a smiling jack and you barely can hear the guess what I brougt...you have to listen for it.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: christie wood on Feb 13, 2006, 04:01 AM
Oh gosh...so hard to pick out a particular favourite scene that makes me smile....so many......but I do love all the harmonica-related jokes that are made between Ennis and Jack.....just so lovely how this private joke between them makes them both smile.

I know it's been mentioned earlier about the scene where Jack is playing the harmonica while Ennis is putting up the tent at the second camp site, but on my third viewing, I was watching Jack the whole time while this exchange was going on, and when Ennis says to Jack about how he would have broken the harmonica, Jack stops playing, and just laughs, quietly to himself......it's a lovely scene, yet again showing the growing friendship and closeness that's developing between them, they seem so at ease with each other in this scene, Ennis being all domestic trying to get the tent just right, and Jack lazing around playing that damn harmonica!!!

 ;D ;D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Gregg on Feb 13, 2006, 11:21 AM
I remember a scene where Jack is up on the mountain at night...in total darkness (except the moon) and he's looking off in the distance and sees the campfire (where Ennis is) down yonder. To me, it looks like Jack has a yearning on his face...he just stares down at the fire...I can't really explain it. Hopefully you'll all understand.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 13, 2006, 11:33 AM
I remember a scene where Jack is up on the mountain at night...in total darkness (except the moon) and he's looking off in the distance and sees the campfire (where Ennis is) down yonder. To me, it looks like Jack has a yearning on his face...he just stares down at the fire...I can't really explain it. Hopefully you'll all understand.

I understand......... :-[
Love it too!

Thankx Gregg
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: alicat on Feb 14, 2006, 12:04 PM
something that makes my heart smile is Ennis rubbing Jacks arm as they are laying in bed in motel.  He does it over and over....it is so darn affectionate.

Karind,

I love that scene too - and I noticed on my last viewing how often he rubs Jack's arm and hugs it!  And I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but in that scene Ennis keeps saying 'yep?' 'no?' 'aha' and other things while Jack is talking about the rodeo..almost as if he is so in love he just likes to hear him talk.  It is very very affectionate.  I don't know quite how to explain it but Ennis takes a great deal more interest in Jack and what he has to say than he ever does with anyone else.  The motel scene brings this into sharp focus IMO.

Alicat
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Rønnaug on Feb 14, 2006, 12:19 PM
I agree. It is like he don't ever want to be any other place.. it seems the happiest moments in the film is when one of them has his arm around the other, there, flashback, in the tent last time at the lake. that and on horseback :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: stephan on Feb 14, 2006, 01:27 PM

I love that scene too - and I noticed on my last viewing how often he rubs Jack's arm and hugs it!  And I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but in that scene Ennis keeps saying 'yep?' 'no?' 'aha' and other things while Jack is talking about the rodeo..almost as if he is so in love he just likes to hear him talk.  It is very very affectionate.
Alicat

So true, alicat ! *huge sigh*
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: CherryCake on Feb 17, 2006, 10:37 PM
When they go for one of theyr camping trips and we see from afar that JAck sits at the fire and Ennis is coming over, I think Ennis says something like "guess what I brought?" and Jack replies "Beans?" and then Ennis says " I'll cook 'em like I used to"

Not so much HA HA HA funny but shows Ennis has  a very nice sense of humour

I read this in the screenplay before I saw the movie today, and I didn't think it was actually in the movie 'cause I hadn't noticed it before, but it is!  Pretty funny little bit, and it does show that Ennis can have a sense of humor (early on, anyway).

camom

you can hardly hear it--it is in the scene where jack is waiting for ennis with his blue parka on throwing corn and potatos into a pot.  then Ennis drives up smiles at a smiling jack and you barely can hear the guess what I brougt...you have to listen for it.



Oh my... in that scene, while he is throwing the corn in the pot... this is where you see Jack stand up and take a long look at Ennis right, while this smile..... the only thing I hear Jack say is "It's about time'  I will have to go back and listen to: "Look what I brought' part!!

How could I have missed that!?
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Gregg on Feb 18, 2006, 12:46 AM
One of the funny moments - right before the 1st tent scene is when they are both around the fire and ..drunk.. Ennis tosses the bottle and says "Shit!" He falls over (I think) and points to the mountain saying //"I'm going to go up to the sheep now"// Jack says he can't because he can't even stand. Ennis responds "I'm going to catch 40 winks and head up at first light." I just think it's a funny/cute interaction. (Thanks for listening!)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Feb 18, 2006, 02:53 AM
One of the funny moments - right before the 1st tent scene is when they are both around the fire and ..drunk.. Ennis tosses the bottle and says "Shit!" He falls over (I think) and points to the mountain saying //"I'm going to go up to the sheep now"// Jack says he can't because he can't even stand. Ennis responds "I'm going to catch 40 winks and head up at first light." I just think it's a funny/cute interaction. (Thanks for listening!)

The audiences usually love that scene, especially when Ennis is on his knees and says "you know it's too late to go to them sheep!"  They're cute drunks!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Adolescence on Feb 18, 2006, 08:36 PM
This one's in a tragic part, but it made me smirk anyway. I guess I just liked the tone Jake used to say it. "This is a bitch of an unsatisfactory situation". It sounded so... pompous. XD
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Feb 18, 2006, 10:29 PM
This one's in a tragic part, but it made me smirk anyway. I guess I just liked the tone Jake used to say it. "This is a bitch of an unsatisfactory situation". It sounded so... pompous. XD

I wouldn't be surprised if that quote becomes a daily part of the public's conversation! ;D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 18, 2006, 10:39 PM
This one's in a tragic part, but it made me smirk anyway. I guess I just liked the tone Jake used to say it. "This is a bitch of an unsatisfactory situation". It sounded so... pompous. XD

I wouldn't be surprised if that quote becomes a daily part of the public's conversation! ;D

I saw want to use, but am unable to pronounce it all correctly..it does not come naturally! I wish I was american!!!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Feb 18, 2006, 10:52 PM
This one's in a tragic part, but it made me smirk anyway. I guess I just liked the tone Jake used to say it. "This is a bitch of an unsatisfactory situation". It sounded so... pompous. XD

I wouldn't be surprised if that quote becomes a daily part of the publics conversation! ;D

I saw want to use, but am unable to pronounce it all correctly..it does not come naturally! I wish I was american!!!

It just takes a little practice. After living in the southern U.S. over 30 years, I have finally allowed myself to acquire a southern accent. I spoke to one of the BBM members on the phone the other day and he said "I like your accent!"  I never noticed I had one until then. It's great because now it's audible without the help of alcoholic beverages! ;D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 18, 2006, 10:55 PM
It just takes a little practice. After living in the southern U.S. over 30 years, I have finally allowed myself to acquire a southern accent. I spoke to one of the BBM members on the phone the other day and he said "I like your accent!"  I never noticed I had one until then. It's great because now it's audible without the help of alcoholic beverages! ;D

hahaha! Well I have an English/Australian/French accent...doubt it can come out right!! hehehe!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Feb 18, 2006, 11:32 PM
hahaha! Well I have an English/Australian/French accent...doubt it can come out right!! hehehe!

I'll bet your accent is just adorable!  You ought to record a simple greeting and forward it via .mp3. I'd luv to hear it! :D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: *Froggy* on Feb 19, 2006, 10:56 AM
hahaha! Well I have an English/Australian/French accent...doubt it can come out right!! hehehe!

I'll bet your accent is just adorable!  You ought to record a simple greeting and forward it via .mp3. I'd luv to hear it! :D

I will think about it..not sure how to do it though! ;-)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Adolescence on Feb 19, 2006, 01:15 PM
This one's in a tragic part, but it made me smirk anyway. I guess I just liked the tone Jake used to say it. "This is a bitch of an unsatisfactory situation". It sounded so... pompous. XD

I wouldn't be surprised if that quote becomes a daily part of the public's conversation! ;D
I know it is to me (I just wish I had more ocasions to say it).
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: ethan on Feb 19, 2006, 02:19 PM
now back to the topic.

The more I see the movie, the more I like "sending a prayer of thanks" scene.

Not only did it make me smile but also Ennis was so relaxed which is rare to see during the entire movie.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: The Ultimate Otaku on Feb 19, 2006, 08:33 PM
1- You're folks stopped at Ennis;

2- Jack showing off with horse to get Ennis' attention;

3- the whole scene where Jack pretends he is rodeoing and falls, and the comments made by Ennis;

4- Jack f***in' twist, and sign of relief on Ennis' face;

5- Jack telling his FIL to sit down;

...Ennis asking Alma Jr about wrong bf !...many more!

Yes, all of those moments. And as someone else said, when Jack is talking about Lureen's calculator being some "high class entertainment" and comparing her to a rabbit trying to squeeze into a hole.  ;D

~Also, after Ennis shoots the elk, when Jack shoves him and says "YEAH!" LOL. That part ALWAYS make me laugh. Love it!  :D

~When Ennis asks the girls, "You two want a push or something" and they both say in unison, "No."

~"Jack f**kin' Twist" - the first time he says it

~ When they're at the motel, and there's a particular point - can't remember where - when Jack smiles. I LOVE that damn smile!

~the 'no more beans' line

~At the beginning when Jack is shaving by looking in the car mirror. I love the fact that he's shaving like that,  :D  and the way he slyly looks at Ennis out of the corner of his eye

~when Jack first shows up, and he leans against his truck that *particular* way of his, with one hand on the truck, omg...sooo sexy.  :o  The way he's so blatantly flirting like that, posing like that, is hilarious.

~When Jack is helping his boy learn the tractor.  :D

~ When Jack picks up Lureen's red hat, and then the next rodeo girl flies by on her horse and he has to run to get out of the way in time!

~ Ennis' eagerness to see Jack after 4 years

~ "you bet" - so short and simple!

~ When Aguirre sees Jack and Ennis chasing each other around shirtless. SO cute!

~ The wrestling scene, especially Jack roping Ennis. I love that scene so much! One of my favorites.

I hope I haven't posted too many of what others said...this is a great thread! I'm glad someone finally made it. We needed a 'what makes you smile' thread to counteract the great sobs and tears of the "when did you cry" thread.   ;D   ;D   ;D

Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: lennytunia on Feb 19, 2006, 11:41 PM
Any scene where Jack looks at Ennis with love and affection, especially the scene when he looks at Ennis with hungry sexuality as Ennis is lying down, and Ennis makes eye contact back at Jack like he's digging it!  Also, there's another scene where Ennis flicks his eyebrows sexually at Jack and Jack looks at him lovelorn and his tongue flicks over his mouth!!! :P :P
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: christie wood on Feb 20, 2006, 04:56 AM
something that makes my heart smile is Ennis rubbing Jacks arm as they are laying in bed in motel.  He does it over and over....it is so darn affectionate.

Karind,

I love that scene too - and I noticed on my last viewing how often he rubs Jack's arm and hugs it!  And I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but in that scene Ennis keeps saying 'yep?' 'no?' 'aha' and other things while Jack is talking about the rodeo..almost as if he is so in love he just likes to hear him talk.  It is very very affectionate.  I don't know quite how to explain it but Ennis takes a great deal more interest in Jack and what he has to say than he ever does with anyone else.  The motel scene brings this into sharp focus IMO.



Alicat, I noticed this too, and I think you have described it perfectly. I would have had difficulty explaining what I meant about that scene, with Ennis adding his "yes" and "no" replies, but you have done so brilliantly! Also, if you read the screenplay, Ennis's responses to Jack talking aren't in the script, so it's just stuff that Heath decided to add to make their special reunion motel moments more intimate and authentic - and it totally works.  It's lovely to see Ennis, holding Jack's arm, listening intently to what he's saying, and sharing their opinions....I think this scene is a very natural one and one that tends to get overlooked, so am really glad you've mentioned it! Just another excuse for us to discuss this beautiful relationship.

I only wish Ennis was looking at Jack while talking.....it's still beautifully shot, and I know I'm being picky, but can't help it!

Alicat
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: christie wood on Feb 20, 2006, 05:18 AM
One of the funny moments - right before the 1st tent scene is when they are both around the fire and ..drunk.. Ennis tosses the bottle and says "Shit!" He falls over (I think) and points to the mountain saying //"I'm going to go up to the sheep now"// Jack says he can't because he can't even stand. Ennis responds "I'm going to catch 40 winks and head up at first light." I just think it's a funny/cute interaction. (Thanks for listening!)

Gregg, I SO love this scene too!  I love the lead up to them getting drunk....Jack singing loudly the pentacostal hymn, Ennis being his audience and responding kindly, them having the confused conversation about what a pentacost is and Jack not having a clue, then that lovely little line from Ennis "you may be a sinner, but I never had the opportunity"....and that look he gives to Jack....very playful, for Ennis I mean!

I love it when Ennis can hardly stand, and crawls around trying to convince himself he'll be going to the sheep later.......a brilliantly observed scene, that leads us to that wonderful place.....Jack's tent!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: romeshvr on Feb 20, 2006, 05:46 AM
For me the only time we see either Jack laugh/smile and Ennis too is when the harmonica is mentioned and oh yeah except in on of the fishing trips when Ennis shows up with the horses....
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: BBBOY on Feb 21, 2006, 05:57 PM
Something that makes me smile, and don't ya'll hate me for this, but when Jack is sitting on the bench with Randall, I swear, he looks like Lily Tomlin when she used to do the male lounge singer whose name I have quite forgotten. It was the only time I didn't buy his aging makeup. Theres is so much else that makes me smile in the movie and it's all been said above. It's a great counterpoint to the tragedy we are watching and I'm sure planned by Ang just to let us survive the whole experience.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Toadily on Feb 21, 2006, 05:58 PM
I love Jack's porn stash and more jazzy look as he ages and gets into some money.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: christie wood on Feb 23, 2006, 10:30 AM
So many things that make me smile in the film....and after my fourth viewing last night, found myself smiling to myself a lot more! 

All the references to beans make me laugh.....and Jack telling Ennis he's good with a can opener, only for him to mess up opening up his first can the next morning!

Love also the scene where Jack is peeling spuds, Ennis washing himself in the background, and Jack ABSOLUTELY REFUSING to look!  You can see the solid concentration on his face, and I don't think that's got anything to do with the spuds.  He also swallows at one point, his concentration is so rigid.

Again, just another of those many seemingly insignificant scenes that say so, so much.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Stephen on Mar 01, 2006, 11:09 AM
Yes, I paid careful attention to the Ennis bathing scene upon my fourth viewing; it's fascinating the way the camera holds Jack's face for those seconds while we see Ennis, blurred in the background, bathing. Jack could be either so preoccupied with the task at hand that he doesn't notice, or he could be straining NOT to look and be obvious, or he couldn't care as this scene may have been taking place a lot before!? But of course this is just one more brilliant detail in the film that, like life, can be read in different ways.....Stephen.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: stephan on Mar 01, 2006, 11:40 AM
Yes, I paid careful attention to the Ennis bathing scene upon my fourth viewing; it's fascinating the way the camera holds Jack's face for those seconds while we see Ennis, blurred in the background, bathing. Jack could be either so preoccupied with the task at hand that he doesn't notice, or he could be straining NOT to look and be obvious, or he couldn't care as this scene may have been taking place a lot before!? But of course this is just one more brilliant detail in the film that, like life, can be read in different ways.....Stephen.

Hi Stephen. Btw, you have a beautiful name  ;)
I agree 100%. Jack's emotions are unreadable. He knows that Ennis is naked behind him. It could be that he was realising how much he would like to turn around and look at his best friend. "Should I ? Should I not ?"
Stephan
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: n061857 on Mar 24, 2006, 03:54 PM
To give Lureen (and Anne) some credit...her facial expression when Jack shouts down her dad...the "ignorant old b@#tard" is subtle and absolutely priceless!  :D  :D

I agree.  Someone has finally stood up to daddy.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: n061857 on Mar 24, 2006, 03:56 PM
something that makes my heart smile is Ennis rubbing Jacks arm as they are laying in bed in motel.  He does it over and over....it is so darn affectionate.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: n061857 on Mar 24, 2006, 03:58 PM
something that makes my heart smile is Ennis rubbing Jacks arm as they are laying in bed in motel.  He does it over and over....it is so darn affectionate.

Karind,

I love that scene too - and I noticed on my last viewing how often he rubs Jack's arm and hugs it!  And I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but in that scene Ennis keeps saying 'yep?' 'no?' 'aha' and other things while Jack is talking about the rodeo..almost as if he is so in love he just likes to hear him talk.  It is very very affectionate.  I don't know quite how to explain it but Ennis takes a great deal more interest in Jack and what he has to say than he ever does with anyone else.  The motel scene brings this into sharp focus IMO.

Alicat

I like at the end of this scene Ennis says something like, "You look O.K. to me."  I'm sure he looks better than O.K. to you, Ennis!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: n061857 on Mar 24, 2006, 04:00 PM
One of the funny moments - right before the 1st tent scene is when they are both around the fire and ..drunk.. Ennis tosses the bottle and says "Shit!" He falls over (I think) and points to the mountain saying //"I'm going to go up to the sheep now"// Jack says he can't because he can't even stand. Ennis responds "I'm going to catch 40 winks and head up at first light." I just think it's a funny/cute interaction. (Thanks for listening!)
I love the way Ennis crawls and circles his arm around right there.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: n061857 on Mar 24, 2006, 04:07 PM
I love how Ennis looks when he is cold:  when he wraps the blanket around himself before he enters the tent and when he wakes up and it has snowed out and he runs around in circles in the snow.  It makes me smile and think, "I'll keep you warm, Ennis."
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Stephen on Mar 25, 2006, 08:01 AM
Yes, that snow scene when Ennis comes freezing out of the tent is wonderful; but it's a scene that also made me realize that on first viewing, I was sometimes lost as to who was where! The cuts from one mountain scene to another over the summer kept me on my toes! So in this winter scene, Ennis is alone in the little tent, obviously sleeping with the sheep, while Jack is at the main camp. But I didn't quite get that on first viewing.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: n061857 on Mar 25, 2006, 01:46 PM
I was a bit confused at first also.  I quess he wouldn't have been so cold if Jack was their with him?  Also I supposed he is higher up on the mountain, because when he gets down to Jack there is no snow??????
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Stephen on Mar 27, 2006, 08:13 AM
Interesting observation about the snow up high but not at the base camp; but then again, I'm not sure of the time frame! Maybe the tent in the snow scene is not connected to the previous or following scene.  I'm going to have to wait for the DVD to check up on these details.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Rønnaug on Mar 27, 2006, 08:26 AM
If thay are, as Jack says earlier, comuting 4 hrs aday, two trips to the base camp, it would make it at least one hour one way. I know this is the first time but nothing to suggest te distance gets smaller at the second camp. Also think how far away and downward Ennis nightlight is when jack sits and sees that. So an hour UP in a mountin...no problem with lots of snow there then an hour later further down the snow would me melting :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: n061857 on Mar 27, 2006, 08:59 AM
There is another similar scene in the movie as if Jack couldn't get the horse to move except to "startle" around.
Ennis had that grin on his face.  "See I told you so." :P

I guess Jack sees Ennis as a "problem-fixer" while he is the "idea-generator". Both of them would make a great team.

There are a few horsey type comments that I think people didn't quite get.  Here Ennis says, "That mare has a low startle point."  This means she startles or spooks easily, so don't get her riled up.  She could throw you.  I take this to mean that he is thinking, "Look at this ass.  He's messing aound with the wrong horse,"  in a cute amused way.

When Ennis is putting up the tent and says, "That harmonica don't sound quite right."  I don't recall Jack's exact words, but some people have quoted him as saying he got thrown or something to that effect by Mary.  He is talking about the horse, a "mare", a female horse.  I thought Ennis then said, "I thought you said that mare can't throw you."   VERY FUNNY!    Jack is laying down with his head on a log and his hat down over his face.  When Ennis says this, we see a huge grin under his hat.  It's adorable.

I also found amusing:

Acguirre:  If you two dueces are looking for work, I suggest you get your scrawny asses in here pronto.

I didn't like this comment.  I think their asses are cute not scrawny, but the way the two of them shuffle in like two puppy dogs with their tails between their legs makes me smile.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Stephen on Mar 27, 2006, 09:13 AM
Yes, I caught that exchange about the horse: very funny indeed: it's one of the few times in the film that Ennis shows humor. Your observation about Ennis' comment on "the Startle Point" was something I couldn't catch until I read the screen play!  And it's interesting to note that in their real lives, Heath knows how to ride and all about horses, and Jacob had to learn for the fillm!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: keren_b on Mar 28, 2006, 09:42 AM
it's interesting to note that in their real lives, Heath knows how to ride and all about horses, and Jacob had to learn for the fillm!

Heath is so sexy when he rides the horse, you can see he does it naturally.

As for scenes that make me smile... oh, there are so many!! they were all mentioned here so I won't repeat the list, but I think that all the exchanges regarding beans and jack's harmonica are my favorites... especially the "sending a prayer of thanks" scene - when Ennis lies there on the ground looking up he has that angel-look on his face, sooooooo beautiful, and that gorgeous smile of his after saying "I'm enjoying the peace and quiet", plus that little wink (oh, the wink!!!)... simply priceless  *big sigh*
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: n061857 on Mar 28, 2006, 10:01 AM
Yeah,  it's great to see Heath ride.  I also think both guys look really sexy in cowboy hats.  I've never been a big cowboy fan, although I am around the look alot through my riding.  But these guys are hot cowboys!

This scene makes me smile:   When Lureen, Jack, La Shawn and Randall are at the dance, Lureen looks awful  -  bleach blonde big hair, the long nails, all the jewelry from her jewelry box be worn at once.  She carries on in that annoying drawl about husbands not wanting to dance,  and than Jack asks La Shawn to dance instead!    I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Stephen on Mar 28, 2006, 02:34 PM
[!

This scene makes me smile:   When Lureen, Jack, La Shawn and Randall are at the dance, Lureen looks awful  -  bleach blonde big hair, the long nails, all the jewelry from her jewelry box be worn at once.  She carries on in that annoying drawl about husbands not wanting to dance,  and than Jack asks La Shawn to dance instead!    I LOVE THAT!!!!!!!!!
Quote

Yes, that little scene caught my attention, too. But at first I didn't quite know what to make of Jack asking La Shawn to dance; was it to get back at Lureen for her silly comment, or to get closer to Randall through his wife, or......
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: n061857 on Mar 28, 2006, 04:08 PM
Actually, at first I thought it was a combination of getting back at Lureen and interest in LaShawn.  Then when he's outside with Randall, I really got confused.  I think he was interested in Randall, not LaShawn, from the start and this move was as you said to get closer to him.  (and get back at Lureen)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: frances on Mar 29, 2006, 04:07 AM
These are my choices :

1)
Jack Twist: My momma believes in the pentacost.
Ennis Del Mar: What exactly is the pentacost? I mean....my folks, they was methodists.
Jack Twist: I don't....I don't know what the pentacost is. I mean the world ends and guys like you and me, we march off to hell.
Ennis Del Mar: Speak for yourself. You may be a sinner, but I ain't yet had the opportunity.

2) In this scene Jake/Jack is absolutely priceless

Jack Twist: You sit down, you old son of a bitch! This is my house! This is my child! And you are my guest! So sit the hell down or I'll knock your ignorant ass into next week!



Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Stephen on Mar 29, 2006, 07:44 AM
Great choices, Frances, and thanks for the quotes: you brought vividly to mind those scenes! I love the language Ossana and McMurtry give to Jack as he lashes out at his ignorant father in law.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Allyce on Apr 09, 2006, 06:44 PM
When Jack comes down off the mountain to find Ennis not there, because the horse ran off on Ennis...when Ennis comes back to camp and Jack asks "Where the hell were you? I come down here hungry as hell and all I find is beans". Jakes tone and facial expression makes me laugh  :D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Patriot1 on Apr 09, 2006, 08:19 PM
When Jack comes down off the mountain to find Ennis not there, because the horse ran off on Ennis...when Ennis comes back to camp and Jack asks "Where the hell were you? I come down here hungry as hell and all I find is beans". Jakes tone and facial expression makes me laugh  :D

Yes, he sounded like some husband bitching at his wife because he is home from work and dinner isn't ready.   :D

I also smile at the way Ennis say, "Thought rodeo cowboys was all f**k-ups." The way he pronounces that word gets me every time.

Then, when Jack is laying on the ground playing the harmonica.
Then again, same scene, when he says, "She got lucky."
Then again, same scene, when Jack laughs at Ennis saying he would be lucky if the harmonica broke in two.

Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: greenfrog on Apr 09, 2006, 10:15 PM
I love Jack's porn stash and more jazzy look as he ages and gets into some money.

Porn stash? ... Oh, is this a refence to the moustash? (I can never spell that word).
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: BBBOY on Apr 09, 2006, 11:20 PM
The funniest line in the movie and I'm sure it has been quoted here is when Cassie says, "He even talks." 9 times seeing it at the local theater and it always got a laugh. Still does for me when I watch the DVD.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: BBBOY on Apr 09, 2006, 11:24 PM

Jack Twist: You sit down, you old son of a bitch! This is my house! This is my child! And you are my guest! So sit the hell down or I'll knock your ignorant ass into next week!





I still haven't decided what this scene is all about but I love it regardless. I'm just trying to find a place where I can say it, "Knock your ignorant ass into next week!" LOL
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: ethan on Apr 09, 2006, 11:32 PM
I still haven't decided what this scene is all about but I love it regardless. I'm just trying to find a place where I can say it, "Knock your ignorant ass into next week!" LOL

Yeah..I love this scene too. I almost jump out of my chair and yell to Jack.....Man, You Rock. High five, Jack.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: BBBOY on Apr 09, 2006, 11:41 PM
I still haven't decided what this scene is all about but I love it regardless. I'm just trying to find a place where I can say it, "Knock your ignorant ass into next week!" LOL

Yeah..I love this scene too. I almost jump out of my chair and yell to Jack.....Man, You Rock. High five, Jack.

                                          (https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fbestsmileys.com%2Fkissing1%2F1.gif&hash=a445574c45dcd64053b09d31a4478d56db30d47d)

Just wanted to kiss you Ethan. LOL Seemed like a good time like as not.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: ethan on Apr 09, 2006, 11:47 PM
Just wanted to kiss you Ethan. LOL Seemed like a good time like as not.

Man..that was a sticky one. Me - blushing. I don't think I would ever say that to someone. So in that regard, Jack is my hero.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Stephen on Apr 10, 2006, 07:26 AM

Jack Twist: You sit down, you old son of a bitch! This is my house! This is my child! And you are my guest! So sit the hell down or I'll knock your ignorant ass into next week!





I still haven't decided what this scene is all about but I love it regardless. I'm just trying to find a place where I can say it, "Knock your ignorant ass into next week!" LOL

Yes, I've been waiting nearly 3 months to say that line!  By the way, compare the two Thanksgiving scenes, and how they reflect the "straight" lives that Jack and Ennis are living! I think that may help you make sense of these scenes.....
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: forbiddenlovers on Apr 10, 2006, 09:19 AM
One of my chuckleworthy moments was when Jack and Ennis are leaving BBM after their sheep herding days are over. Ennis says "I can't believe I left my damn shirt up there" And the look on Jack's face as he feigns innocence and says "yeah" as if to say " I stole your shirt and you don't even know it!!" And then, what makes it so powerful is how we come to find out what happens to that shirt. So cute!!
Ann :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: donnaread on Apr 10, 2006, 02:46 PM
 

Love also the scene where Jack is peeling spuds, Ennis washing himself in the background, and Jack ABSOLUTELY REFUSING to look!  You can see the solid concentration on his face, and I don't think that's got anything to do with the spuds.  He also swallows at one point, his concentration is so rigid.


What makes me smile about THIS scene, is Ennis washing himself with his hat on, lol.  I also find it interesting that he washes between his legs before he washes under his arms...I'm not looking to closely am I? ;D  Donna
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: donnaread on Apr 10, 2006, 02:58 PM
something that makes my heart smile is Ennis rubbing Jacks arm as they are laying in bed in motel.  He does it over and over....it is so darn affectionate.

Karind,

I love that scene too - and I noticed on my last viewing how often he rubs Jack's arm and hugs it!  And I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but in that scene Ennis keeps saying 'yep?' 'no?' 'aha' and other things while Jack is talking about the rodeo..almost as if he is so in love he just likes to hear him talk.  It is very very affectionate.  I don't know quite how to explain it but Ennis takes a great deal more interest in Jack and what he has to say than he ever does with anyone else.  The motel scene brings this into sharp focus IMO.

Alicat

I like at the end of this scene Ennis says something like, "You look O.K. to me."  I'm sure he looks better than O.K. to you, Ennis!
Did he really say that in the movie?  I rememeber it in the story, but not the movie.  Donna  ???
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Patriot1 on Apr 10, 2006, 04:12 PM
something that makes my heart smile is Ennis rubbing Jacks arm as they are laying in bed in motel.  He does it over and over....it is so darn affectionate.

Karind,

I love that scene too - and I noticed on my last viewing how often he rubs Jack's arm and hugs it!  And I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but in that scene Ennis keeps saying 'yep?' 'no?' 'aha' and other things while Jack is talking about the rodeo..almost as if he is so in love he just likes to hear him talk.  It is very very affectionate.  I don't know quite how to explain it but Ennis takes a great deal more interest in Jack and what he has to say than he ever does with anyone else.  The motel scene brings this into sharp focus IMO.

Alicat

I like at the end of this scene Ennis says something like, "You look O.K. to me."  I'm sure he looks better than O.K. to you, Ennis!
Did he really say that in the movie?  I rememeber it in the story, but not the movie.  Donna  ???

You are correct Donna.  Dropped from movie but was in the book.  Not sure why they dropped it from the movie though.  Was a good line. 

Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: JerBear418720 on Apr 10, 2006, 04:28 PM
The funniest line in the movie and I'm sure it has been quoted here is when Cassie says, "He even talks." 9 times seeing it at the local theater and it always got a laugh. Still does for me when I watch the DVD.

I thought the funniest was:  "We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat em!".
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Patriot1 on Apr 10, 2006, 04:44 PM
The funniest line in the movie and I'm sure it has been quoted here is when Cassie says, "He even talks." 9 times seeing it at the local theater and it always got a laugh. Still does for me when I watch the DVD.

I thought the funniest was:  "We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat em!".

Yes, I liked that too.  Especially the way Ennis says it.  And I liked the very next line, "What's the matter with you? There's a thousand of 'em."

Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Stephen on Apr 11, 2006, 06:42 AM
The funniest line in the movie and I'm sure it has been quoted here is when Cassie says, "He even talks." 9 times seeing it at the local theater and it always got a laugh. Still does for me when I watch the DVD.

I thought the funniest was:  "We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat em!".

Yes, I liked that too.  Especially the way Ennis says it.  And I liked the very next line, "What's the matter with you? There's a thousand of 'em."



Yes, Patriot, I agree; the sheep references are a hoot, especially as you say, the way the lines are delivered, in that dead-pan matter-of-fact way!   
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Twisted on Apr 11, 2006, 06:56 AM
I like this one, and others also, but this one is so great :)

Jack: Is there anything interesting up there in Heaven?
Ennis: I was just sending up a prayer of thanks.
Jack: For what?
Ennis: For you forgettin’ to bring that harmonica!
I’m enjoyin’ the peace and quiet. (and Ennis winks the eye and smiles, and Jack is laughing :D )
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: FlwrChild on Apr 26, 2006, 10:47 PM
There's a moment that always makes me smile. When Ennis is introduced to Cassie, after she says her name, he says "Ennis..pause..Del Mar" as if remembering the teasing from Jack at their first meeting. And I love the look on his face.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: greenfrog on Apr 26, 2006, 11:01 PM
Ennis: ... What ?


 ;D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: NoReins on Apr 27, 2006, 03:04 AM
I think all my favourite bits have already been mentioned, but I guess they bear mentioning again (especially since I have now seen almost all of the movie again)

My absolute favourite bit is the "sending up a prayer of thanks" bit - Ennis looking all angelic, Jack fishing for a compliment ("For what?" hoping Ennis is going to say "for being here with you"), Ennis's joke, Jack's laugh, Ennis's smile and the twinkle in his eye - so, so sweet. Although I guess it's bittersweet as we know Ennis is about to shoot Jack's dreams down in flames.

I also love all the bits where Jack is flirting with Ennis, even before Ennis realises it - the glances outside Aguirre's trailer, the flicking of his rodeo belt etc

And I totally agree with whoever said that the way that Ennis strokes Jack's arm in the motel scene makes them smile - it's so loving and, to me, it's so typically Ennis - Jack says how he feel, while Ennis shows it.

Oh, and the reunion kiss - that definitely makes me smile, although maybe not for the most pure of reasons ;D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: keren_b on Apr 27, 2006, 04:06 AM
And I totally agree with whoever said that the way that Ennis strokes Jack's arm in the motel scene makes them smile - it's so loving and, to me, it's so typically Ennis - Jack says how he feel, while Ennis shows it.

What a beautiful way to put it Lindsey. Now you've made me smile  :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: stephan on Apr 27, 2006, 04:23 AM
My absolute favourite bit is the "sending up a prayer of thanks" bit - Ennis looking all angelic, Jack fishing for a compliment ("For what?" hoping Ennis is going to say "for being here with you"), Ennis's joke, Jack's laugh, Ennis's smile and the twinkle in his eye - so, so sweet. (...)


Thank you for that remark, NoReins. Of course Jack was fishing for a compliment, a romantic one - of course ! Now I get it. Ennis's actual reply is a romantic one as well, I've only just realised it. That makes me realise that I've been the recipient of romantic remarks and not always realised it. :-\

Here's another one for smiles : when Ennis returns after falling off the horse because of the bear, and Jack greets him with irritation, Ennis doesn't respond with violence (as he will later, and with many people), he seems almost apologetic, and that makes jack go all motherly   :D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Sunflower79 on Apr 27, 2006, 05:38 AM
 one of favorite scenes even though it ends up being sad because they have to leave is when Jack comes and ropes Ennis with his rope..:)

when Jack and Ennis are sitting around the camp fire..and Jack does his rodeo routine..hehe
just too funny, and Ennis remarks about Jack forgetting is harmonica cute too sending up a prayer of thanks hehe..

when they are wrestling around on the ground near the tent area..and just playing around..:)

when Jack tells his father in law off at thanksgiving..that was great :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: tpe on Apr 27, 2006, 06:31 AM
one of favorite scenes even though it ends up being sad because they have to leave is when Jack comes and ropes Ennis with his rope..:)

Yes, this is very bittersweet.  The feeling I got seeing the beginning of this scene was not unlike going back home from a nice vacation.  For Ennis and Jack, BBM was their Arcadia...

Thank you.

Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on Apr 27, 2006, 06:41 AM
Ennis: ... What ?

I've probaby mentioned this scene in several posts.  It's still a favorite!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: that_gal on Apr 27, 2006, 09:30 AM
One of my favorite scenes is when Ennis tells Jack, "You better be quiet with that harmonica, you'll run the sheep off again!" Very funny, and by the tone in Ennis' voice you can tell how much he cares for Jack.
Just one of the many of the great scenes!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: TJ on Apr 27, 2006, 03:10 PM
 

Love also the scene where Jack is peeling spuds, Ennis washing himself in the background, and Jack ABSOLUTELY REFUSING to look!  You can see the solid concentration on his face, and I don't think that's got anything to do with the spuds.  He also swallows at one point, his concentration is so rigid.


What makes me smile about THIS scene, is Ennis washing himself with his hat on, lol.  I also find it interesting that he washes between his legs before he washes under his arms...I'm not looking to closely am I? ;D  Donna

In Annie Proulx's original short story, Ennis does not move from the campfire to the side of the tent to "warsh everything (he) can reach," he does it standing in in front of Jack and he sloshes water from the washcloth onto the fire. Ennis wears no underwear and no socks in the book, which Jack noticed.

I would say that Ennis Del Mar gave Jack Twist the full frontal view while he washed between his legs. I don't think that either of them would have been shy about being naked in front of each other.

I grew up in the country, mostly in Rogers County, Oklahoma.  When I was in early puberty, we lived in the NE corner of the county up the hill from Little Pryor Creek. When some male relatives close to my and my brother's age, we went skinny dippin' in the creek. I got teased by my oldest first cousin because he sort of made fun of my erection. He should have been jealous.
Speaking of "skinny dippin'," we moved to Tulsa in December of '59 when I was a junior in High School. I took the required PE class and on Wednesdays, we went swimming in the pool on campus and we wore nothing in the room where the pool was. A guy who was probably built just like Annie Proulx described Ennis was in that class with long arms and legs. When he dived from the edge of the pool, he made me think of a giant skinny frog with an extra leg.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Patriot1 on Apr 27, 2006, 03:29 PM
A guy who was probably built just like Annie Proulx described Ennis was in that class with long arms and legs. When he dived from the edge of the pool, he made me think of a giant skinny frog with an extra leg.

This is way  (https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi43.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fe359%2FPatriotOne%2FOffTopic113.gif&hash=844598338f732a85175968d8221e334b10343fe7),  but your description sure was funny! LOL!!

Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: TJ on Apr 27, 2006, 05:00 PM
When Jack was doing laundry by hand in the movie, he was naked except for his boots. I have seen old western photos which were similar to that.

I have even seen vintage pics of cowboys in pools of water, for bathing purposes, and most of them had hats on, too.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: rabjr1 on Apr 27, 2006, 06:15 PM
1)
   "What?"

   "Friend, that's the most words you spoke in two weeks"

 
2) campfire embrace/lullaby scene.  because that is what we all want.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: boo_boo on Apr 27, 2006, 06:17 PM
I crack up everytime I hear Jack say "f**k Aguirre" when he's dragging the sheep.  It's his voice, totally funny. ;D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: FlwrChild on Apr 27, 2006, 07:57 PM
I crack up everytime I hear Jack say "f**k Aguirre" when he's dragging the sheep.  It's his voice, totally funny. ;D

Yes!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: greenfrog on Apr 28, 2006, 12:40 AM
I crack up everytime I hear Jack say "f**k Aguirre" when he's dragging the sheep.  It's his voice, totally funny. ;D

(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fbestsmileys.com%2Fsigns13%2F17.gif&hash=743ac1162a76a381a6abc60fd1b75cadcf44d271) So funny (and true)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: keren_b on Apr 28, 2006, 07:37 AM
1) everything regarding Jack's harmonica

2) Jack: "I was just thinking out loud"
    Ennis: "yeah, you're a real thinker".

3) Ennis: "you girls need a push or something?"
    Girls: "no..."

4) Jack: "I am pretty good with a can opener though".

5) "F**K AGUIRRE!!!"

... Just to name a few...
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: NoReins on Apr 28, 2006, 07:50 AM
I know loads of others have said it but Ennis's "What?" in response to Jack smiling at him when he's finally opened up is just too cute.

Another one I noticed last night is the way that Ennis moves his cup up to his face to hide the grin when he's just come out with the "my daddy used to say that rodeo cowboys is all f*ck ups" line - he knows that what he's just said is going to wind Jack up and he's enjoying the moment immensely. Someone said somewhere else that Jack is probably Ennis's first real friend - and this bit shows just how happy he is to have that comradeship (as well as maybe being the first real hint that Ennis is, subconciously at least, attracted to Jack)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Koka on Apr 28, 2006, 09:32 AM
oh wow, let's see...ummh, that THING monroe uses to cut the turkey- dunno way, but cracks me up every time :D :D :D

then when ennis says 'that's more word I've spoken in a year'

the harmonica ( 'I'm enjoying the peace and quiet' )

Lureen's hair ( after the first shock, I totally got used to it and I do think it looks great on her )

LaShawn and everything about her ( being a total blabber mouth myself :D :D :D )

'I'm pretty good with a can opened though'-'can't be more worse than me then' :D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: CrimsonSky on May 04, 2006, 08:59 AM
A couple of moments that make me smile that I haven't seen mentioned here:

The smile on Jack's face when Ennis returns after being thrown off the horse. It's only a quick little smile, but it says everything about how worried he'd been about Ennis not being there, and the joy and relief that he's ok :)(before he goes into his 'angry husband' act lol ;D), and then when he uses his scarf to clean Ennis's wound, so sweet... :)

Also, when they are reunited and Ennis tells Alma he probably won't be back that night "When we get to drinkin' and talkin' and all" ;D I feel bad for laughing cos you've got to feel a bit sorry for Alma, but the way Ennis says it just cracks me up for some reason ;D

(This is my first post here btw, hi everyone :))   
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: irving on May 04, 2006, 10:01 AM
I smiled at the cuts where Jack is looking down at the camp where Ennis is, and Ennis looks up the mountain where Jack is.

 :D :D :D

yeah...it wasnt until my 5th or 6th time in the theater that I noticed this.  When ennis is looking up at the mountaint...and then the camera jumps in for a closer shot...i believe there are 3 times that this is done...anyway...u can SEE jack on his horse ...but you have to look closely...the first time i saw him I was like...OH MY GOD...THERE HE IS !!!

ONE of my fav scenes is Jack and Lureen in the backseat of her dad's car.  When she says "you don't think Im too fast do you? think we should put the brakes on?"....and he says.."fast or slow..i just like the direction youre goin."....u can just see Lureens face as she falls in love with him right at that instant....as do i....well i actually fell in love with him as soon as he got out of his truck...but.....when he says those words I just MELT. *sigh*
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Patriot1 on May 04, 2006, 10:09 AM
A couple of moments that make me smile that I haven't seen mentioned here:

The smile on Jack's face when Ennis returns after being thrown off the horse. It's only a quick little smile, but it says everything about how worried he'd been about Ennis not being there, and the joy and relief that he's ok :)(before he goes into his 'angry husband' act lol ;D), and then when he uses his scarf to clean Ennis's wound, so sweet... :)

Also, when they are reunited and Ennis tells Alma he probably won't be back that night "When we get to drinkin' and talkin' and all" ;D I feel bad for laughing cos you've got to feel a bit sorry for Alma, but the way Ennis says it just cracks me up for some reason ;D

(This is my first post here btw, hi everyone :))   

Hi CrimsonSky, and welcome to the BBM Forum.

Yes, the look on Jack's face while waiting for Ennis and when Ennis got back was funny indeed.  He sure was relieved when Ennis got there wasn't he. But of course he couldn't let Ennis know that could he.

Looking forward to reading your other posts.

Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Koka on May 04, 2006, 10:16 AM
A couple of moments that make me smile that I haven't seen mentioned here:

The smile on Jack's face when Ennis returns after being thrown off the horse. It's only a quick little smile, but it says everything about how worried he'd been about Ennis not being there, and the joy and relief that he's ok :)(before he goes into his 'angry husband' act lol ;D), and then when he uses his scarf to clean Ennis's wound, so sweet... :)

Also, when they are reunited and Ennis tells Alma he probably won't be back that night "When we get to drinkin' and talkin' and all" ;D I feel bad for laughing cos you've got to feel a bit sorry for Alma, but the way Ennis says it just cracks me up for some reason ;D

(This is my first post here btw, hi everyone :))   

oh yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about!!!! I totally saw that smile as a 'thank god he's here' smile....and then he had to be all serious and stuff- as you said, playing the angy husband ( couldn't have said it better myself ) *LOL* that was just plain adorable.

and about the second part you mentioned, the one with alma. I remember watching this movie for the first time and I recall EVERYONE in the theater started laughing when Ennis said that line. well but yeah, they thought the whole situation was funny, they had been giggling from the moment alma witnessed 'the kiss'....but I must admit it was kinda funny hearing ennis say that....especially when you've got 50 other people around you laughing their asses off.

oh and btw, welcome on board and enjoy the ride ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: NoReins on May 04, 2006, 10:17 AM
Also, when they are reunited and Ennis tells Alma he probably won't be back that night "When we get to drinkin' and talkin' and all" ;D I feel bad for laughing cos you've got to feel a bit sorry for Alma, but the way Ennis says it just cracks me up for some reason ;D

(This is my first post here btw, hi everyone :))   

Yeah, that's really cute - I think moreso because we know exactly what he means by "and all" ;D He just can't wait to get out of there and get Jack alone, can he? I also find it really cute because it's Ennis saying that they might talk all night....Ennis, whose vocabulary doesn't stretch past "huh", "whut" and "ahdunno" for large parts of the movie LOL.

Welcome to the BBM support group, by the way :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Koka on May 04, 2006, 10:32 AM

Ennis, whose vocabulary doesn't stretch past "huh", "whut" and "ahdunno" for large parts of the movie LOL.


*LMAO* good point :D :D :D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: keren_b on May 04, 2006, 12:08 PM
I also find it really cute because it's Ennis saying that they might talk all night....Ennis, whose vocabulary doesn't stretch past "huh", "whut" and "ahdunno" for large parts of the movie LOL.

You just cracked me up Lindsey, I haven't thought about that... God, I had a really good laugh now for about 10 minutes, I needed that... thanks!  :D
I usually smile at that part simply because I know what's Ennis thinking about when he says he might not be coming back tonight - and as we can guess, "talking" wasn't exactly what he had in mind...
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: christie wood on May 04, 2006, 02:50 PM
I also find it really cute because it's Ennis saying that they might talk all night....Ennis, whose vocabulary doesn't stretch past "huh", "whut" and "ahdunno" for large parts of the movie LOL.

You just cracked me up Lindsey, I haven't thought about that... God, I had a really good laugh now for about 10 minutes, I needed that... thanks!  :D
I usually smile at that part simply because I know what's Ennis thinking about when he says he might not be coming back tonight - and as we can guess, "talking" wasn't exactly what he had in mind...

Yes, that is really funny Lindsey, and I thought that myself.  Ennis is not exactly Mr Chatty is he?   ;)

We know exactly what he means by "talking" and "an all", don't we?   ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: City Slickin' Cowboy on May 04, 2006, 04:28 PM
A couple of moments that make me smile that I haven't seen mentioned here:

The smile on Jack's face when Ennis returns after being thrown off the horse. It's only a quick little smile, but it says everything about how worried he'd been about Ennis not being there, and the joy and relief that he's ok :)(before he goes into his 'angry husband' act lol ;D), and then when he uses his scarf to clean Ennis's wound, so sweet... :)

Also, when they are reunited and Ennis tells Alma he probably won't be back that night "When we get to drinkin' and talkin' and all" ;D I feel bad for laughing cos you've got to feel a bit sorry for Alma, but the way Ennis says it just cracks me up for some reason ;D

(This is my first post here btw, hi everyone :))   

Welcome CrimsonSky!!  A nice honest first post it is.  I had to laugh at your 'angry husband' description of Jack.  Very fitting! ;D  Looking forward to reading more of your posts!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: CrimsonSky on May 04, 2006, 04:41 PM
Welcome CrimsonSky!!  A nice honest first post it is.  I had to laugh at your 'angry husband' description of Jack.  Very fitting! ;D  Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone :)

I'm glad I made you laugh, but credit where it's due, Patriot1 said something similar in Post 112
Quote
Yes, he sounded like some husband bitching at his wife because he is home from work and dinner isn't ready
It made me LOL, so I guess I kind of had in my head when I made my post :)

Anyway, I love this thread because it brings out the laughter and the funny and happy moments in the film, it's good to look back and remember the good times ;) :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: CrimsonSky on May 04, 2006, 04:43 PM
Welcome CrimsonSky!!  A nice honest first post it is.  I had to laugh at your 'angry husband' description of Jack.  Very fitting! ;D  Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Thanks for the welcome, everyone :)

I'm glad I made you laugh, but credit where it's due, Patriot1 said something similar in Post 112
Quote
Yes, he sounded like some husband bitching at his wife because he is home from work and dinner isn't ready
It made me LOL, so I guess I kind of had that in my head when I made my post :)

Anyway, I love this thread because it brings out the laughter and the funny and happy moments in the film, it's good to look back and remember the good times ;) :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: greenfrog on May 05, 2006, 06:35 PM
Ennis (to Cassie): Earlier today I was castrating calves...
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: *Froggy* on May 05, 2006, 06:35 PM
Ennis (to Cassie): Earlier today I was castrating calves...


yep..that guy sure knew how to pull women!!!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: dirtbiker on May 05, 2006, 06:39 PM
Ennis (to Cassie): Earlier today I was castrating calves...


yep..that guy sure knew how to pull women!!!

hahahaha  just what I thought...  That brought an unexpected guffaw from me ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Rønnaug on May 05, 2006, 06:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z-8Dp6_H-s&search=brokeback%20mountain

Mayby some of these in itself isn't something to laugh at but pput together I smile a little bit :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Nadine7 on May 06, 2006, 01:29 AM
Hands down---It's when Jack flicks his rodeo belt buckle and smiles.   (I don't say much but I get my point across!)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: FlwrChild on May 06, 2006, 01:51 AM
Hands down---It's when Jack flicks his rodeo belt buckle and smiles.   (I don't say much but I get my point across!)

Love that smile! Welcome to the family!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Rønnaug on May 06, 2006, 03:57 AM
Hands down---It's when Jack flicks his rodeo belt buckle and smiles.   (I don't say much but I get my point across!)

hehe, welcome, and please say more :)

I agree btw...cause of the hands off course ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Koka on May 07, 2006, 05:20 AM
Ennis (to Cassie): Earlier today I was castrating calves...


he, he sure knows the best way to a girl's heart, doesn't he :D  :P
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Patriot1 on May 07, 2006, 05:42 AM
Ennis (to Cassie): Earlier today I was castrating calves...


he, he sure knows the best way to a girl's heart, doesn't he :D  :P

But that is what I like about him. He is honest.  He never for a minute thought of lying to her.  Simple, straight forward Ennis.

Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: welshwitch on May 12, 2006, 05:06 PM
The time Ennis is washing and Jack is trying to open a can of beans but manages to splat the contents allover himself - and he said he was all right with a can-opener when they swapped jobs.

And Jake is a good cook and appears on "Magic Mario", so I always giggle when he says he can't cook worth a damn.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: NoReins on May 12, 2006, 06:11 PM
I always smile when Jack is peeling the spuds while Ennis is naked and washing himself in the background. First couple of times I watched I was smiling because I was enjoying the eye candy - but then I watched Jake's performance closely and it's incredible. The way he concentrates on the spuds so closely - but at the same time you can see that it's taking all his (Jack's) strength not to look. At one point he sighs so deeply, and then swallows real hard - all that emotion and desire is conveyed so perfectly without a word being spoken or any eye contact being made. Awesome acting by Jake.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: donnaread on May 13, 2006, 10:15 AM
Hands down---It's when Jack flicks his rodeo belt buckle and smiles.   (I don't say much but I get my point across!)

Love that smile! Welcome to the family!
Yea, like Ennis or anyone here is really looking at his belt buckle. ;D

Donna
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: aimi15 on May 14, 2006, 06:06 AM
I always smile when Jack is peeling the spuds while Ennis is naked and washing himself in the background. First couple of times I watched I was smiling because I was enjoying the eye candy - but then I watched Jake's performance closely and it's incredible. The way he concentrates on the spuds so closely - but at the same time you can see that it's taking all his (Jack's) strength not to look. At one point he sighs so deeply, and then swallows real hard - all that emotion and desire is conveyed so perfectly without a word being spoken or any eye contact being made. Awesome acting by Jake.
Yes, and at one point his eyes seem to lift up away from the potato, and gaze off beyond the tedious job at hand. A really great job of conveying such pent up desire by Jake - as well as being a beautiful scene from a purely aesthetic point of view!! :P
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: ande_nem on May 19, 2006, 12:37 PM
That's one of my fave bits in the movie!  I also love that bit just before FNIT when Ennis announces that its too late to go back to the sheep, and does that drunken point in the direction of the sheep, that always makes me smile.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: donnaread on May 19, 2006, 02:04 PM


The smile on Jack's face when Ennis returns after being thrown off the horse. It's only a quick little smile, but it says everything about how worried he'd been about Ennis not being there, and the joy and relief that he's ok :)(before he goes into his 'angry husband' act lol ;D), and then when he uses his scarf to clean Ennis's wound, so sweet... :)
(This is my first post here btw, hi everyone :))   

oh and btw, welcome on board and enjoy the ride ;)
Oh my yes...I love that "angry husband" routine...so funny, but I swear I never noticed the smile...another excuse to watch it again  ::)
he he he

Donna
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Koka on May 19, 2006, 02:14 PM
but I swear I never noticed the smile...another excuse to watch it again  ::)
he he he

Donna

well it could just be me to tell ja the truth. you know- when you see what you want to see. but even if it's just me, I don't ever want to know- I like thinking that the brief smile was there, although there's a possibility of it NOT being there.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: ande_nem on May 19, 2006, 02:52 PM
Also when he's singing Water Walkin Jesus, and the first line is SO out of tune! I love Jack!!!  :-* ;D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Koka on May 19, 2006, 03:11 PM
Also when he's singing Water Walkin Jesus, and the first line is SO out of tune! I love Jack!!!  :-* ;D

the whole freakin' thing is out of tune *LOL* gotta love Jack!!! gotta love Jake  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: ande_nem on May 19, 2006, 03:20 PM
Lol good point! I LOVE your avatar by the way! SO sexy!  ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Koka on May 19, 2006, 03:22 PM
Lol good point! I LOVE your avatar by the way! SO sexy!  ;)

 ;D I'm glad you like it!!!! and I LOVE yours- one of my fav scenes  :'(
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: CrimsonSky on May 19, 2006, 08:01 PM
but I swear I never noticed the smile...another excuse to watch it again  ::)
he he he

Donna

well it could just be me to tell ja the truth. you know- when you see what you want to see. but even if it's just me, I don't ever want to know- I like thinking that the brief smile was there, although there's a possibility of it NOT being there.

No, it's not just you, it's definitely there, that was my first ever post here that I mentioned it in :) That whole scene is one of my favourites, I love how Jack is so worried and concerned about Ennis, even though he tries to cover it up :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: LuvJackNasty on May 19, 2006, 10:08 PM
That's one of my fave bits in the movie!  I also love that bit just before FNIT when Ennis announces that its too late to go back to the sheep, and does that drunken point in the direction of the sheep, that always makes me smile.

I love that scene too! Cracks me up. So does the F Aguirre scene- that one is my favorite!

Re: the smile- Damn another thing missed- oh well another thing to check out!  ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: stacp on May 19, 2006, 11:33 PM
That's one of my fave bits in the movie!  I also love that bit just before FNIT when Ennis announces that its too late to go back to the sheep, and does that drunken point in the direction of the sheep, that always makes me smile.

I love that, too.  Also, when Ennis gets up on all fours, it looks to me like Jack is thoroughly checking out Ennis' backside.  I certainly would have taken that opportunity!   ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Koka on May 20, 2006, 03:24 AM
That's one of my fave bits in the movie!  I also love that bit just before FNIT when Ennis announces that its too late to go back to the sheep, and does that drunken point in the direction of the sheep, that always makes me smile.

oh, I LOVE THAT PART!!!!! when he toses the bottle and says 'shit'- that's just so freakin' adorable.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: carriebeth on May 20, 2006, 02:33 PM
I love in the Reunion scene, after they hug, Ennis is looking around to see if anyone is watching, and Jack is just staring at him like he wants to kiss him so badly he can't stand it.

Also, after the Reunion Kiss, as Ennis is about to walk away, he nuzzles against Jack's face.  It makes my knees weak every time!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: aimi15 on May 20, 2006, 02:36 PM
I love in the Reunion scene, after they hug, Ennis is looking around to see if anyone is watching, and Jack is just staring at him like he wants to kiss him so badly he can't stand it.

Also, after the Reunion Kiss, as Ennis is about to walk away, he nuzzles against Jack's face.  It makes my knees weak every time!
Ditto!! Got to be the sexiest kiss ever put on film - defintely the most awaited one. :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: CrimsonSky on May 20, 2006, 06:30 PM
I love in the Reunion scene, after they hug, Ennis is looking around to see if anyone is watching, and Jack is just staring at him like he wants to kiss him so badly he can't stand it.

Also, after the Reunion Kiss, as Ennis is about to walk away, he nuzzles against Jack's face.  It makes my knees weak every time!

Me too (hence my avatar ;)), I love how he whispers "later", as well, I bet Jack was thinking "not too much later, I hope!" ;) :) The last thing he needed was to go and make polite small talk with Alma ::) :)

And here's Jack's smile after Ennis comes back from being thrown off the horse  :)

 (https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh167%2Fgunner-girl%2Fmissing1.jpg&hash=25a751aff394f3bcdd8196a4eb88420e7e16a139)

(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh167%2Fgunner-girl%2Fmissing2.jpg&hash=d3032a824040ecbe00eab739966f7f3f8e140dfd)


Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: NoReins on May 21, 2006, 03:39 AM
Also, after the Reunion Kiss, as Ennis is about to walk away, he nuzzles against Jack's face.  It makes my knees weak every time!

Oh yeah, mine too. That whole sequence, pulling Jack's hands away, touching his face and whispering "hey" then the nuzzle and "later"...surprised Jack could walk his knees must have been that weak.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Koka on May 21, 2006, 07:35 AM
Oh yeah, mine too. That whole sequence, pulling Jack's hands away, touching his face and whispering "hey" then the nuzzle and "later"...surprised Jack could walk his knees must have been that weak.

that has to be like, the most beautiful thing I have ever seen on screen!!!!! it's my fav part of the movie, I just love it! there's just so much emotion, tenderness and hidden desire, lust and longing in that one little sequence. no words needed.....
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Koka on May 21, 2006, 07:37 AM
I love in the Reunion scene, after they hug, Ennis is looking around to see if anyone is watching, and Jack is just staring at him like he wants to kiss him so badly he can't stand it.

Also, after the Reunion Kiss, as Ennis is about to walk away, he nuzzles against Jack's face.  It makes my knees weak every time!

Me too (hence my avatar ;)), I love how he whispers "later", as well, I bet Jack was thinking "not too much later, I hope!" ;) :) The last thing he needed was to go and make polite small talk with Alma ::) :)

And here's Jack's smile after Ennis comes back from being thrown off the horse  :)

 (https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh167%2Fgunner-girl%2Fmissing1.jpg&hash=25a751aff394f3bcdd8196a4eb88420e7e16a139)

(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh167%2Fgunner-girl%2Fmissing2.jpg&hash=d3032a824040ecbe00eab739966f7f3f8e140dfd)




thanks for posting the pics!!!! I knew it wasn't just a figment of my imagination!!!!  %)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: CrimsonSky on May 21, 2006, 02:13 PM
I love in the Reunion scene, after they hug, Ennis is looking around to see if anyone is watching, and Jack is just staring at him like he wants to kiss him so badly he can't stand it.

Also, after the Reunion Kiss, as Ennis is about to walk away, he nuzzles against Jack's face.  It makes my knees weak every time!

Me too (hence my avatar ;)), I love how he whispers "later", as well, I bet Jack was thinking "not too much later, I hope!" ;) :) The last thing he needed was to go and make polite small talk with Alma ::) :)

And here's Jack's smile after Ennis comes back from being thrown off the horse  :)

 (https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh167%2Fgunner-girl%2Fmissing1.jpg&hash=25a751aff394f3bcdd8196a4eb88420e7e16a139)

(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh167%2Fgunner-girl%2Fmissing2.jpg&hash=d3032a824040ecbe00eab739966f7f3f8e140dfd)




thanks for posting the pics!!!! I knew it wasn't just a figment of my imagination!!!!  %)

You're welcome :) It's a bit of a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment, but I spotted it the second time I saw the movie, and thought it was so sweet... :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Koka on May 21, 2006, 02:15 PM
I love in the Reunion scene, after they hug, Ennis is looking around to see if anyone is watching, and Jack is just staring at him like he wants to kiss him so badly he can't stand it.

Also, after the Reunion Kiss, as Ennis is about to walk away, he nuzzles against Jack's face.  It makes my knees weak every time!

Me too (hence my avatar ;)), I love how he whispers "later", as well, I bet Jack was thinking "not too much later, I hope!" ;) :) The last thing he needed was to go and make polite small talk with Alma ::) :)

And here's Jack's smile after Ennis comes back from being thrown off the horse  :)

 (https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh167%2Fgunner-girl%2Fmissing1.jpg&hash=25a751aff394f3bcdd8196a4eb88420e7e16a139)

(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi64.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh167%2Fgunner-girl%2Fmissing2.jpg&hash=d3032a824040ecbe00eab739966f7f3f8e140dfd)




thanks for posting the pics!!!! I knew it wasn't just a figment of my imagination!!!!  %)

You're welcome :) It's a bit of a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment, but I spotted it the second time I saw the movie, and thought it was so sweet... :)

yeah, it sure is. thank god I didn't blink once during brokeback ( aka during all 9 viewings  ;D 8) ) ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: NoReins on May 22, 2006, 02:18 AM
Hey - I saw that smile last night for the first time. Thanks to whoever pointed it out - you have no idea how much I missed in this movie first time round.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Patriot1 on May 22, 2006, 03:12 AM
Hey - I saw that smile last night for the first time. Thanks to whoever pointed it out - you have no idea how much I missed in this movie first time round.

That is because you were too busy worrying that Jack and Ennis were vulnerable because they didn't wear their hats to bed.  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D :8

Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: NoReins on May 22, 2006, 04:25 AM
Hey - I saw that smile last night for the first time. Thanks to whoever pointed it out - you have no idea how much I missed in this movie first time round.

That is because you were too busy worrying that Jack and Ennis were vulnerable because they didn't wear their hats to bed.  LOL!!!!!!!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D :8



LMAO :8

But they both had their hats on in this scene... :c) ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: jackie62 on May 22, 2006, 07:24 AM
i love the postcard with    "fish will be jumping"  ---- so flirtatious.  :f)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: jakefreak on May 23, 2006, 12:22 PM
This is my first post..so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet.  Watching the movie for the second time ( and everytime thereafter) I have to smile at the very beginning of the film.  I see Ennis waiting by the trailer- in his Ennis kinda way. He's so quiet, drawn into himself looking at his feet and then there's Jacks truck in the distance. The truck coming right down the middle of the road-loud and unapologetic.  Jack pulls up in a flurry of dust and noise, gets out and in all his Jackness, kicks the truck and says loudly "shit!", turns and looks unabashedly at Ennis who barely moves.  I don't know why but as soon as I see that truck in the distance I start to smile.  I'm thinking "here we go, Ennis, here's your Jack- boy you don't even know what you're in for!"  I love it- it just demonstrates their personalities so well - right off.  There are so many other places in the film that I love- many have already been mentioned. The looks, the smiles ,the love expressed in ordinary words with extrodinary meaning behind them.   (The look that Ennis gives Jack when Jack says "Doubt there's a mare that could throw me. Let's get goin  'les you want to sit around tying knots all day) Oh, that gets me every time.... Anyway, I could name so many scenes that make me smile (and cry). I'm sure I'll discover more before  my DVD wears out!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: FlwrChild on May 23, 2006, 12:34 PM
jakefreak,

loved everything you said! And welcome! You're going to love the ride!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: NoReins on May 23, 2006, 12:37 PM
This is my first post..so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet.  Watching the movie for the second time ( and everytime thereafter) I have to smile at the very beginning of the film.  I see Ennis waiting by the trailer- in his Ennis kinda way. He's so quiet, drawn into himself looking at his feet and then there's Jacks truck in the distance. The truck coming right down the middle of the road-loud and unapologetic.  Jack pulls up in a flurry of dust and noise, gets out and in all his Jackness, kicks the truck and says loudly "shit!", turns and looks unabashedly at Ennis who barely moves.  I don't know why but as soon as I see that truck in the distance I start to smile.  I'm thinking "here we go, Ennis, here's your Jack- boy you don't even know what you're in for!"  I love it- it just demonstrates their personalities so well - right off.

Yep, you're so right - their characters are defined right from the get-go. I guess this bit makes me smile because it's the start of the movie and I know I've got two incredible hours ahead of me.

Welcome to the BBM support group, jakefreak :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: boo_boo on May 23, 2006, 12:43 PM
That's one of my fave bits in the movie!  I also love that bit just before FNIT when Ennis announces that its too late to go back to the sheep, and does that drunken point in the direction of the sheep, that always makes me smile.

I love that, too.  Also, when Ennis gets up on all fours, it looks to me like Jack is thoroughly checking out Ennis' backside.  I certainly would have taken that opportunity!   ;)

Love this scene.  Then when Ennis goes to lay down & kind of grunts "aaarrrgggh" - too cute!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: stacp on May 23, 2006, 01:02 PM
i love the postcard with    "fish will be jumping"  ---- so flirtatious.  :f)

I love that, too.  "Fish will be jumping" must be code for "tent will be rocking."   ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: donnaread on May 23, 2006, 02:56 PM
I have to smile at the very beginning of the film.  I see Ennis waiting by the trailer- in his Ennis kinda way. He's so quiet, drawn into himself looking at his feet and then there's Jacks truck in the distance. The truck coming right down the middle of the road-loud and unapologetic.  Jack pulls up in a flurry of dust and noise, gets out and in all his Jackness, kicks the truck and says loudly "shit!", turns and looks unabashedly at Ennis who barely moves. 
Great first post, jakefreak.  I start to smile when I see the truck coming too.  I like the way you said "his Ennis kinda way" and Jack is always "unapologetic", its one of the things I love about him.  He tells it like it is and goes after what he wants, which is Ennis  ^-^.

Donna
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: CrimsonSky on May 23, 2006, 03:39 PM
This is my first post..so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet.  Watching the movie for the second time ( and everytime thereafter) I have to smile at the very beginning of the film.  I see Ennis waiting by the trailer- in his Ennis kinda way. He's so quiet, drawn into himself looking at his feet and then there's Jacks truck in the distance. The truck coming right down the middle of the road-loud and unapologetic.  Jack pulls up in a flurry of dust and noise, gets out and in all his Jackness, kicks the truck and says loudly "shit!", turns and looks unabashedly at Ennis who barely moves.  I don't know why but as soon as I see that truck in the distance I start to smile.  I'm thinking "here we go, Ennis, here's your Jack- boy you don't even know what you're in for!"  I love it- it just demonstrates their personalities so well - right off.  There are so many other places in the film that I love- many have already been mentioned. The looks, the smiles ,the love expressed in ordinary words with extrodinary meaning behind them.   (The look that Ennis gives Jack when Jack says "Doubt there's a mare that could throw me. Let's get goin  'les you want to sit around tying knots all day) Oh, that gets me every time.... Anyway, I could name so many scenes that make me smile (and cry). I'm sure I'll discover more before  my DVD wears out!

Hi jakefreak, great post :)

I've always wondered what Ennis was thinking when he gives Jack that look after he says that line, and I've come to the conclusion that he didn't know what he was thinking, but he just got that feeling there was 'something' about this Jack guy, feeling 'something' was gonna happen between them, even if he couldn't even begin to imagine what it might be, or that it would alter the course of his life forever :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: FlwrChild on May 23, 2006, 03:52 PM
This is my first post..so I don't know if this has been mentioned yet.  Watching the movie for the second time ( and everytime thereafter) I have to smile at the very beginning of the film.  I see Ennis waiting by the trailer- in his Ennis kinda way. He's so quiet, drawn into himself looking at his feet and then there's Jacks truck in the distance. The truck coming right down the middle of the road-loud and unapologetic.  Jack pulls up in a flurry of dust and noise, gets out and in all his Jackness, kicks the truck and says loudly "shit!", turns and looks unabashedly at Ennis who barely moves.  I don't know why but as soon as I see that truck in the distance I start to smile.  I'm thinking "here we go, Ennis, here's your Jack- boy you don't even know what you're in for!"  I love it- it just demonstrates their personalities so well - right off.  There are so many other places in the film that I love- many have already been mentioned. The looks, the smiles ,the love expressed in ordinary words with extrodinary meaning behind them.   (The look that Ennis gives Jack when Jack says "Doubt there's a mare that could throw me. Let's get goin  'les you want to sit around tying knots all day) Oh, that gets me every time.... Anyway, I could name so many scenes that make me smile (and cry). I'm sure I'll discover more before  my DVD wears out!

Hi jakefreak, great post :)

I've always wondered what Ennis was thinking when he gives Jack that look after he says that line, and I've come to the conclusion that he didn't know what he was thinking, but he just got that feeling there was 'something' about this Jack guy, feeling 'something' was gonna happen between them, even if he couldn't even begin to imagine what it might be, or that it would alter the course of his life forever :)

I know I'm mostly a Jack gal, but yes, this is one of my favorite looks. And I've always wondered what Ennis was thinking too. Yep, something along the lines of 'there's just something about this guy. Don't know what, but something.' My other favorite Ennis look is when he finally sees Jack pulling up for the 4 year reunion. Just adorable.
Finally, when Jack's truck pulls up to Aguirre's trailer that first day, I just keep thinking 'Ennis has no idea his destiny has just pulled up in front of him.' Sigh
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: greenfrog on Nov 26, 2006, 10:48 PM
The first postcard has "you're" and "general" misspelled . . . so cute for Jack.

(https://ennisjack.com/forum/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fpics.livejournal.com%2Ffa_sharp%2Fpic%2F00172fg9&hash=ebbe405e1bb19131d6957d43894415c78d7e0866)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: carbyville on Nov 26, 2006, 11:28 PM
Nice find, greenfrog!  O0

I am constantly amazed at the amount of detail put into this movie. "Your" vs. "You're" is a common mistake in the English language so it makes a lot of sense for this mistake to appear in Jack's postcard. Love this.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Audrey twist on Nov 27, 2006, 04:36 PM
the scene where jack smiles at lureen's father makes me smile,because I feel that jack knows hypocrisy of that man in that moment :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: tpe on Nov 27, 2006, 06:40 PM
Audrey twist. you are refering to the scene where Jack is asked to acknowledge the likeness between his son and Lureen's father, no? 

Jack was so amiable, even though he had every reason not to be pleasant.  The smile is indeed either hypocrisy or tremendous self-restraint.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Audrey twist on Dec 02, 2006, 10:38 PM
                 :f) :c) yes,my baby
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 31, 2006, 06:03 AM
He's from Texas"
Texans don't drink coffee"?  :8
 
Hilarious!

 When Jack renacts the rodeo scene and falls right as Ennis says "watch it" Even the animals in this scene thinks Ennis"s dad was right about rodeo cowboys! ;D

 Ennis waits for Jack in the reunion scene and Alma is trying to hold a normal conversation with him. He does'nt really hear a word she's saying, he's so caught up in seeing Jack again. The way he says Hmm? when Alma suggests taking Jack to the Knife and Fork resturant.....No way, Not tonight baby. Forget it! %(
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: welshwitch on Dec 31, 2006, 02:19 PM
I always giggle when just before he dances with LaShawn he drops ? cigarette ash over himself - Jack is so often clumsy in an endearing way. you can't help smiling at his f**k-ups.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: ethan on Dec 31, 2006, 03:32 PM
Jack is so often clumsy in an endearing way. you can't help smiling at his f**k-ups.

You are so right - the one with can opener, missing shots, etc.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: aintfoolin on Dec 31, 2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah, he was clumsy and  little goofy at times, but it's all part of his wonderful charm.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: HLJG on Jan 01, 2007, 01:10 PM
I crack up everytime I hear Jack say "f**k Aguirre" when he's dragging the sheep.  It's his voice, totally funny. ;D
That is one line that always cracks me up too--and when Ennis replies; "Oh,yeah,  fu*k Aguirre!"
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: keren_b on Jan 01, 2007, 04:16 PM
When they're at the bar at the begining and Jack tells Ennis about the lightning storm that killed 42 sheep - Ennis's mouth kinda hangs open at that and he looks at Jack like "huh?" ;D
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: tpe on Jan 02, 2007, 09:20 AM
When they're at the bar at the begining and Jack tells Ennis about the lightning storm that killed 42 sheep - Ennis's mouth kinda hangs open at that and he looks at Jack like "huh?" ;D

Indeed, it was as if he was totally disbelieving.  It is equivalent to an Ennis "huh" in every way.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: dirtbiker on Jan 03, 2007, 01:22 AM
"Whut"   :c)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: tpe on Jan 03, 2007, 09:47 AM
"Whut"   :c)

This made me smile just now.  :)

Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: chameau on Jan 04, 2007, 12:43 AM
"Whut"   :c)

Yup!  :8
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: Twisted on Jan 04, 2007, 12:48 AM
Red-lined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough. <^(
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: tpe on Jan 04, 2007, 09:13 AM
Red-lined all the way, couldn't get here fast enough. <^(

My face has this huge smile throughout the motel scene.  ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: welshwitch on Jan 04, 2007, 11:36 AM
We'vl been there, haven't we, where the most important thing on earth is to get there and see the beloved - I can recall shouting at traffic lights and walking up and down trains trying to speed them up - I would say" and speeding" but I do that anyway. This is such a credible detail.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: jacks_key on Jan 18, 2007, 01:41 PM
Any scene where Ennis has that "comeIwannalayyou" look in his eyes. 

 :d) 
 Edited to add:  I love ALL of the lovey-dovey/lustful looks they give each other!   <^(
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: jacks_key on Jan 18, 2007, 02:05 PM
~At the beginning when Jack is shaving by looking in the car mirror. I love the fact that he's shaving like that,  :D  and the way he slyly looks at Ennis out of the corner of his eye

~when Jack first shows up, and he leans against his truck that *particular* way of his, with one hand on the truck, omg...sooo sexy.  :o  The way he's so blatantly flirting like that, posing like that, is hilarious.

Ohhh, I just love those parts.  Jack is so damn sexy!   <^(
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: jacks_key on Jan 18, 2007, 02:43 PM
ONE of my fav scenes is Jack and Lureen in the backseat of her dad's car.  When she says "you don't think Im too fast do you? think we should put the brakes on?"....and he says.."fast or slow..i just like the direction youre goin."....u can just see Lureens face as she falls in love with him right at that instant....as do i....well i actually fell in love with him as soon as he got out of his truck...but.....when he says those words I just MELT. *sigh*

I feel ya on that one, my friend!   :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: irving on Feb 04, 2007, 03:27 PM
Indeed, it was as if he was totally disbelieving.  It is equivalent to an Ennis "huh" in every way.

i love that too...and I love Jack when he says he thought he was gonna "axphixiate" from the smell? Is that even a word? i couldnt find it in the dictionary.  Spelling is probably wrong...but I thought it was so cute ...like he was trying to impress Ennis with his vocabulary.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: irving on Feb 04, 2007, 05:00 PM
i love that too...and I love Jack when he says he thought he was gonna "axphixiate" from the smell? Is that even a word? i couldnt find it in the dictionary.  Spelling is probably wrong...but I thought it was so cute ...like he was trying to impress Ennis with his vocabulary.

Ahhh...i found it...it's asphyxiate....it IS a word....i'm embarassed !!
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: welshwitch on Feb 04, 2007, 09:11 PM
Don't be! You learned a new ( if prettyuseless) word - now all you have to do it work it into a conversation sometime.

One of the things that makes me smile is the way they srand there in Aguirre's trailer not quite knowing what to do with themselves or their hats, and the way they put them in even before they're out of the door - like two naughty kids who've been told off and now are pretending it all never happened.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: dirtbiker on Feb 07, 2007, 02:03 PM
Interesting how a commoner in that day and age know the meaning of the word "asphyxiate" ;)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: carbyville on Feb 07, 2007, 02:04 PM
Interesting how a commoner in that day and age know the meaning of the word "asphyxiate" ;)

I found that interesting as well :)

Wonder if Ennis knew what it meant.
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: chameau on Feb 08, 2007, 06:40 PM
Quote
Wonder if Ennis knew what it meant.


I guess so, considering the face he made :)
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: BBBOY on Feb 08, 2007, 10:23 PM
Well, I just found this thread...............I have some comments but they will have to wait til I get settled in my new place. There are so many places in the movie that make me smile.  O0
Title: Re: BBM Moments that Make you Smile ---- Spoiler ----
Post by: hpv on Feb 16, 2007, 08:06 AM
After 4 years separation, Ennis says: "Jack f***g Twist"   ;)
Balls like apples
Surreptitious glances at each other
Tired of your dumbass missing
Jack playing the harmonica
The "whut" scene,
Well there are more. I'll be back...lol