Author Topic: Did anyone notice about the shirts...?  (Read 5594 times)

Offline masetane

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 76
Did anyone notice about the shirts...?
« on: Apr 15, 2007, 05:51 PM »
I thought this was interesting and here's my take on it.

When Ennis found the shirt - Jack's was on top. Sort of protecting Ennis who was having a hard time with his feelings.....

When the shirts were in Ennis' closet, his was on top. Perhaps protecting Jack now that he was gone?  I would love to hear the reason they did that for. i really think Ennis learned a lot by finding the shirts....

What are your thoughts?

Offline Kazza

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 298
  • Gender: Female
Re: Did anyone notice about the shirts...?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2007, 06:15 PM »
Apparently it was Heath Ledger that suggested that the shirts be switched around after Ennis takes them away. Jack had cradled their love for so many years, so perhaps it was Ennis's turn to hold and protect Jack (or the memory of him and what they had).

So sad, those shirts and his memories are all that Ennis has left. Sniff!  :\'(

Karen

Offline jacks_key

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2466
  • Gender: Female
  • We'll always have Brokeback...
Re: Did anyone notice about the shirts...?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2007, 07:31 PM »
The most heartbreaking scene in the entire movie, when Ennis finds the shirts.  I can't even *talk* about that scene without starting to cry!  :\'(
Heath Ledger: 1979-2008
Never enough time, never enough.

Offline masetane

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 76
Re: Did anyone notice about the shirts...?
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2007, 07:47 PM »
Oh no kidding - Heath said that. Well wouldn't he be happy to know I picked up on that then.

I am still grieving over this movie. I could even handle Jack's death if it was anything other than a hate crime. An accident, cancer - anything but what it was. It completely shatters me b.c he didn't deserve that.

And Ennis....sigh.  Wish he had a picture or something. I'm so sad he's alone.

Offline jackster

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1517
  • Gender: Male
  • dumbass missin'
Re: Did anyone notice about the shirts...?
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2007, 06:36 AM »
I am still grieving over this movie . . . .
And Ennis....sigh.  Wish he had a picture or something. I'm so sad he's alone.
masetane: Don't be too bummed out, remember he did have Jack, if only for a while, and he still has Jack's memory inside him. Remember how the SS began with the quote:

"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream".

Think of what his life would have been if he had never found Jack. That's really sad.

jackster
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Did anyone notice about the shirts...?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2007, 07:01 AM »
Apparently it was Heath Ledger that suggested that the shirts be switched around after Ennis takes them away. Jack had cradled their love for so many years, so perhaps it was Ennis's turn to hold and protect Jack (or the memory of him and what they had).

So sad, those shirts and his memories are all that Ennis has left. Sniff!  :\'(

Karen

Yes, this is correct.

The published scrrenplay does not explicitly indicate that the order of the shirts be switched.  But I think credit was given to Heath in one of the interviews to add this extra beautiful detail.


Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Did anyone notice about the shirts...?
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2007, 07:03 AM »
masetane: Don't be too bummed out, remember he did have Jack, if only for a while, and he still has Jack's memory inside him. Remember how the SS began with the quote:

"yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream".

Think of what his life would have been if he had never found Jack. That's really sad.

jackster

Very good point, jackster.

To dream is better than not to dream.


Offline masetane

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 76
Re: Did anyone notice about the shirts...?
« Reply #7 on: Apr 16, 2007, 08:30 AM »
Jackster - I know you are right. But, perhaps it is the finality of death I find upsetting. probably another issue.. I am a very sentimental persona and when someone recently died in my life, I had all the wonderful memories, but it was the physical things like photos that helped me a lot - something about being able to look at the face and talk to it.  Sort of jogs the memory for me. But I supposed Ennis has the shirts.   :)  I'm glad he had something to touch and hold. I think he needed that