Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 642693 times)

Offline JT

• Jack + Ennis
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #180 on: Jan 31, 2008, 01:11 PM »
I know froggy, I know.

I've managed to write down Heath's speech... forgive me for any mistakes made, I couldn't hear all of it very clearly and I have English limitations. Feel free to correct me and fill in the blanks. In my opinion this is the most beautiful acceptance speech I've ever heard.

Heath's speech at the Santa Barbara Film Festival:

"... Thank you very very much for this and it's extremely generous of the Santa Barbara International film festival to be honoring my work so far, and I really am sincerily touched by this gesture."

"I guess... where's my sheet of paper thing... I guess I'd like to take the shine away from myself for a minute and acknowledge the directors who have helped and continue to help me understand what it means to be an actor (and here he goes to mention all the directors that he'd worked with up till then). I trully feel that if anything, I should be honoring them tonight. I'm greatful that these directors have given me the opportunity to discover that to be an actor has nothing to do with the way you live your life and the choices you make while living, but rather the way you live and the choices you make in between "action" and "cut". And these directors gave me the opportunity to be bad, to make mistakes, and to study and learn from my mistakes. Fortunately or unfortunately I was never exposed to the safe environment of an acting school and a black pair of pyjamas, no I didn't have a black room to experiment in, to privately dance within my dances on the film. And these directors trusted me and offered me their film set and their friendship as the safe environment for me to study and make discoveries on. So I apologise for the bad discoveries made along the way, but I do stand by the theory that in order to evolve and further yourself as an actor, you have to be fearless enough to allow yourself room for error. Sometimes you must scream out loud in order to discover a whisper. So I thank all these beautiful minds and... (I missed a part here) for putting up with my screams, and I thank everyone for their patience in waiting for me to find the whisper within the words. And here's to making more mistakes."

You've quoted beautifully, Karen!  It was a wonderful speech.  He was a modest and sincere man.  God, I miss him.   :\'(

Offline Hanna

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #181 on: Jan 31, 2008, 03:34 PM »
I've managed to write down Heath's speech... forgive me for any mistakes made, I couldn't hear all of it very clearly and I have English limitations. Feel free to correct me and fill in the blanks. In my opinion this is the most beautiful acceptance speech I've ever heard.

Thank you keren!  :\'(  :^^)
You've changed things. Forever. There's no going back.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #182 on: Jan 31, 2008, 04:38 PM »
I know froggy, I know.

"... Thank you very very much for this and it's extremely generous of the Santa Barbara International film festival to be honoring my work so far, and I really am sincerily touched by this gesture."

"I guess... where's my sheet of paper thing... I guess I'd like to take the shine away from myself for a minute and acknowledge the directors who have helped and continue to help me understand what it means to be an actor (and here he goes to mention all the directors that he'd worked with up till then). I trully feel that if anything, I should be honoring them tonight. I'm greatful that these directors have given me the opportunity to discover that to be an actor has nothing to do with the way you live your life and the choices you make while living, but rather the way you live and the choices you make in between "action" and "cut". And these directors gave me the opportunity to be bad, to make mistakes, and to study and learn from my mistakes. Fortunately or unfortunately I was never exposed to the safe environment of an acting school and a black pair of pyjamas, no I didn't have a black room to experiment in, to privately dance within my dances on the film. And these directors trusted me and offered me their film set and their friendship as the safe environment for me to study and make discoveries on. So I apologise for the bad discoveries made along the way, but I do stand by the theory that in order to evolve and further yourself as an actor, you have to be fearless enough to allow yourself room for error. Sometimes you must scream out loud in order to discover a whisper. So I thank all these beautiful minds and... (I missed a part here) for putting up with my screams, and I thank everyone for their patience in waiting for me to find the whisper within the words. And here's to making more mistakes."

Oh god,..... :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Keren, this is one of the most beautiful acceptance speeches I've ever heard too.   I actually was in desperate need to hear this speech the other day, and went on youtube to find it, and hadn't had the chance to actually listen to it....even though I've listened to it many,many, many times before.....and when I read the transcript (which is perfect Keren,  ^f^), I could hear Heath's voice coming through loud and clear, and that line, the one you highlighted, about screaming out loud to hear a whisper, is one of my favourite lines EVER, and I remember having that in my sig line for the longest time, and seeing it again, now that Heath has gone, has just broke my heart all over again.   :\'( :\'( :\'(   
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline Koka

• Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Where bluebirds sing and there's a whiskey spring
« Reply #183 on: Jan 31, 2008, 04:42 PM »
Sometimes you must scream out loud in order to discover a whisper.

Oh my God!!! Really, TRULY wise beyond his age....
Why should I be out of mind
because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline Rosie

• Jack + Ennis
  • that old cold time
« Reply #184 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:17 PM »
I know froggy, I know.

Thank you for this Keren, it's a lovely speech. Especially the part you bolded..
Danny and me, Danny and me,  Danny and me and the sea,
Bobbing out of Pleasure Bay, the islands on our lee;
Spectacle, Georges, Gallops, the sun-wash on the brine
Castle Island where Skovo danced a bear-dance in bear-time.
The Golden Boy has chosen, I know what I will be
Danny and me, seanchai, Danny and me and the sea.

A Map of the Harbor Islands JG Hayes

babytammy7

« Reply #185 on: Jan 31, 2008, 06:37 PM »
I know froggy, I know.

Thank you so much Keren. This is amazingly beautiful. Heath was all wise, humble, sweet and grateful. I'm so touched now. What a wonderful man he was, just a treasure.....  :\'(  :\'(

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #186 on: Feb 01, 2008, 12:58 AM »
keren_b, thank you so much for taking the time to write this beautiful, no, sublime speech that demonstrates Heath's wisdom beyond his years, his humility, and his openness to show vulnerability, even his mistakes.  :\'( I need a love emoticon with tears.

This speech embodies everything that we have been admiring Heath as an actor. I've bolded and colored red the sections.

I know froggy, I know.

:ghug: :\'(

Thank you, Heath. Thank you keren_b.
Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #187 on: Feb 01, 2008, 01:24 AM »
I know froggy, I know.

Thank you, Keren.  Heath's beautiful physical self, his voice...  I can't say anything, my eyes filled with tears.

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline titabeille

• Any friend of yours is a friend of mine
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, I swear...
« Reply #188 on: Feb 01, 2008, 07:24 AM »
Many thanks to you all brokies for all the articles, videos and links.  Here in Belgium, the medias doesn't tell a lot about Heath  :(.  Even the movie's magazines are silent  >:(

:ghug: :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: ^f^ ^f^ ^f^ ^f^ ^f^ :ghug: :ghug: :ghug: :ghug:
Simone
It could be like this, always like this....
Sometimes I miss you so much, I can't understand it.

As you get old you begin to wonder-
what was all that lightning and thunder
actually about ? (Gavin Ewart)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #189 on: Feb 01, 2008, 08:08 AM »
keren_b, thank you so much for taking the time to write this beautiful, no, sublime speech that demonstrates Heath's wisdom beyond his years, his humility, and his openness to show vulnerability, even his mistakes.  :\'( I need a love emoticon with tears.

This speech embodies everything that we have been admiring Heath as an actor.

No need to thank me, it was all Heath. I've listened to this speech over and over again and Heath's sincerity and sensitivity had simply overwhelmed me every time.

I agree with all that you said lancecowboy, and as for the part I bolded, let me add... not only as an actor, but as a person as well.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #190 on: Feb 01, 2008, 08:14 AM »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/movies/bal-to.kaltenbach01feb01,0,4544149.story

-----------------------------------------------

Could Heath Ledger be screen legend?
By Chris Kaltenbach | Sun Movie Critic
February 1, 2008

Excerpt:

Ledger's death hasn't achieved that garish level, despite the attempts of various TV celebrity magazines and entertainment show hosts to fan the flames. His fans' affections seem genuine, their respect for his work well-earned, their grief over his sad fate heartfelt.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #191 on: Feb 01, 2008, 11:33 AM »
http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/movies/bal-to.kaltenbach01feb01,0,4544149.story

-----------------------------------------------
Could Heath Ledger be screen legend?
By Chris Kaltenbach | Sun Movie Critic
February 1, 2008

Excerpt:

Ledger's death hasn't achieved that garish level, despite the attempts of various TV celebrity magazines and entertainment show hosts to fan the flames. His fans' affections seem genuine, their respect for his work well-earned, their grief over his sad fate heartfelt.

Yes,Thomas,in spite of some idiots who don´t have any respect for persons and feelings; he seems to have never became an idol,but a very close and humble man.IMO, for this reason now some many people feel his death as something very personal in their lives.
And Keren,thank you also for the video and the translation;without it I wouldn´t have understand not only his words,but these qualities in him... ^f^
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #192 on: Feb 01, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Here's a much better quality audio recording of the speach.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20173623,00.html
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #193 on: Feb 01, 2008, 12:10 PM »
Keren, thank you so much. :^^)

I really appreciated you printing the text before, because I found it difficult to listen to the audio from that video link. But to be able to hear it in his own voice was an extra gift.
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #194 on: Feb 01, 2008, 12:28 PM »
I am going to have to get caught up on this thread. I haven't been reading much news or anything but I think I may sit down this weekend and read through this thread.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline Rosie

• Jack + Ennis
  • that old cold time
« Reply #195 on: Feb 01, 2008, 12:46 PM »

Thank you for that Keren, it was superb quality and a superb speech.  ^f^
Danny and me, Danny and me,  Danny and me and the sea,
Bobbing out of Pleasure Bay, the islands on our lee;
Spectacle, Georges, Gallops, the sun-wash on the brine
Castle Island where Skovo danced a bear-dance in bear-time.
The Golden Boy has chosen, I know what I will be
Danny and me, seanchai, Danny and me and the sea.

A Map of the Harbor Islands JG Hayes

babytammy7

« Reply #196 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:00 PM »

Thank you so much Keren. I've listened to this amazing speech five times this evening. Every time I've cried. I was on my 3 time when my father heard that Heath's deep voice. He liked it a lot and asked me to play it once again, and then one more time. We both were so stunned and touched with the magical timbre of Heath's voice.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #197 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:03 PM »
Here's a very nice article by Josh Horowitz for MTV, remembering his brief, but memorable, interview with Heath.

Heath Ledger Remembered: You can learn a lot in ten minutes

I’m not going to talk about the acting here. Critics wiser than I will have plenty of time to dissect his clearly impressive albeit all too small body of work.

I do want to talk about the man — the man I encountered — and why I, like many, am truly heartbroken today.I didn’t know Heath Ledger. The sum of our time together was about 10 minutes at a junket two months ago in New York. Still, for good or for bad I often make snap judgments about actors based on these quick interactions. You can tell a lot in a few moments, and I remember telling my girlfriend how much I genuinely liked Heath that day.

I remember when I sat down we talked about chess a bit. Heath told me he was obsessed with it, played every day since he was a kid. He said he often played in Washington Square Park. The thought of an actor of Ledger’s fame mingling among the other chess fanatics made me smile.

He was smoking up a storm and we laughed about his two addictions: nicotine and chess. Now I wince at the memory, hoping those were the only two compulsions he truly had. Ledger was jittery during the interview. He moved around a bit and laughed easily. He struck me as a man almost ill at ease with his own body. But it all came off as charming, none of the self-possessed bullsh– cocky facade so many actors show. He was what he was sitting there: raw, uneasy, but fiercely intelligent and sweet.

We talked about New York that day. He told me he had left Brooklyn for Manhattan. When he asked me where I was from I told him I was a born and bred New Yorker. He gave me a thumbs up and smiled. It’s a moment now burned into my memory and sadly suddenly feels horribly bittersweet.[/i]

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #198 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:04 PM »
Thank you so much Keren. I've listened to this amazing speech five times this evening. Every time I've cried. I was on my 3 time when my father heard that Heath's deep voice. He liked it a lot and asked me to play it once again, and then one more time. We both were so stunned and touched with the magical timbre of Heath's voice.

Oh Tammy I know what you mean.  His voice is just beautiful.  Keren and I discussed this today, because we love this acceptance speech so much...it is the essence of Heath in so many ways. 

Offline gambrinus

• Alma Jr.
  • Gone, but never forgotten
« Reply #199 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:06 PM »
From Reuters:

LOS ANGELES, Feb 1 (Reuters) - In her first statement since the death of her former companion Heath Ledger, actress Michelle Williams said she is suffering from a broken heart and asked for privacy for her and daughter Matilda.

"Please respect our need to grieve privately," Williams said in a statement released on Friday by Ledger's spokeswoman. "My heart is broken."

"I am the mother of the most tender-hearted, high-spirited, beautiful little girl who is the spitting image of her father," Williams said in her statement.

"All that I can cling to is his presence inside her that reveals itself every day. His family and I watch Matilda as she whispers to trees, hugs animals, and takes steps two at a time and we know that he is with us still. She will be brought up with the best memories of him."
Large was his bounty, and his soul sincere,
Heaven did a recompense as largely send:
He gave to Misery (all he had) a tear,
He gained from Heaven ('twas all he wished) a friend.

Offline Koka

• Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #200 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:09 PM »
He struck me as a man almost ill at ease with his own body. But it all came off as charming, none of the self-possessed bullish– cocky facade so many actors show. He was what he was sitting there: raw, uneasy, but fiercely intelligent and sweet.

OMG, this is EXACTLY (!) the way in which I perceived Heath...wow! I was actually planning on writing a post about it somewhere, about how he struck me....but this sums it up perfectly in a way. There was just so much to Heath. So many....layers. Incredible!
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline Koka

• Heath, I swear!
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #201 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:12 PM »
From Reuters:

LOS ANGELES, Feb 1 (Reuters) - In her first statement since the death of her former companion Heath Ledger, actress Michelle Williams said she is suffering from a broken heart and asked for privacy for her and daughter Matilda.

"Please respect our need to grieve privately," Williams said in a statement released on Friday by Ledger's spokeswoman. "My heart is broken."

"I am the mother of the most tender-hearted, high-spirited, beautiful little girl who is the spitting image of her father," Williams said in her statement.

"All that I can cling to is his presence inside her that reveals itself every day. His family and I watch Matilda as she whispers to trees, hugs animals, and takes steps two at a time and we know that he is with us still. She will be brought up with the best memories of him."

this is simply heart-wrenching! Now I just want to crawl up somewhere and cry my heart out!!!  :\'( :\'( :\'(

thank you for posting!
I am waiting for you,
for an interval,
somewhere very near,
just around the corner.
All is well.

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #202 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:24 PM »
From Reuters:
How so very sweet ans yet so sad...
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

babytammy7

« Reply #203 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:28 PM »
Here's a very nice article by Josh Horowitz for MTV, remembering his brief, but memorable, interview with Heath.

Heath Ledger Remembered: You can learn a lot in ten minutes

I’m not going to talk about the acting here. Critics wiser than I will have plenty of time to dissect his clearly impressive albeit all too small body of work.

I do want to talk about the man — the man I encountered — and why I, like many, am truly heartbroken today.I didn’t know Heath Ledger. The sum of our time together was about 10 minutes at a junket two months ago in New York. Still, for good or for bad I often make snap judgments about actors based on these quick interactions. You can tell a lot in a few moments, and I remember telling my girlfriend how much I genuinely liked Heath that day.

I remember when I sat down we talked about chess a bit. Heath told me he was obsessed with it, played every day since he was a kid. He said he often played in Washington Square Park. The thought of an actor of Ledger’s fame mingling among the other chess fanatics made me smile.

He was smoking up a storm and we laughed about his two addictions: nicotine and chess. Now I wince at the memory, hoping those were the only two compulsions he truly had. Ledger was jittery during the interview. He moved around a bit and laughed easily. He struck me as a man almost ill at ease with his own body. But it all came off as charming, none of the self-possessed bullsh– cocky facade so many actors show. He was what he was sitting there: raw, uneasy, but fiercely intelligent and sweet.

We talked about New York that day. He told me he had left Brooklyn for Manhattan. When he asked me where I was from I told him I was a born and bred New Yorker. He gave me a thumbs up and smiled. It’s a moment now burned into my memory and sadly suddenly feels horribly bittersweet.[/i]

Thank you so much Christie. This is beautiful and touching.

From Reuters:

Oh my.... :\'(  :\'(  :\'(  :\'( I'm dying of sadness here. I can't stop crying.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #204 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:32 PM »
From Reuters:

oh my god, poor Michelle.... :\'( :\'( :\'(  To hear her talk of how Matilda is the spitting image of her father and that he is still with them...well, it just breaks my heart.  :\'(

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #205 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:37 PM »
From Reuters:

Thank you gambrinus. 

Here is the one from AP:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i656mzspARejipy3excFuRo0gFtgD8UHMQO01

------------------------------------------------

Michelle Williams: `My Heart Is Broken'
33 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Michelle Williams broke her silence Friday, saying her "heart is broken" over Heath Ledger in her first statement since the "Brokeback Mountain" actor's death.

The 27-year-old actress and Ledger became a couple during filming of 2005's "Brokeback," in which they costarred as husband and wife. They later settled in New York, and had a daughter, Matilda, born October 2005.

"Please respect our need to grieve privately," Williams said in a statement. "My heart is broken. I am the mother of the most tender-hearted, high-spirited, beautiful little girl who is the spitting image of her father. All that I can cling to is his presence inside her that reveals itself every day."

Ledger, 28, died in his Manhattan apartment Jan. 22. Authorities suspect a possible drug overdose, but the cause of his death is still pending the outcome of toxicology tests. Police said several prescription drugs were found in the Manhattan apartment where the actor's body was found.

"His family and I watch Matilda as she whispers to trees, hugs animals, and takes steps two at a time, and we know that he is with us still," Williams said. "She will be brought up in the best memories of him."

Offline gambrinus

• Alma Jr.
  • Gone, but never forgotten
« Reply #206 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:45 PM »
Thank you gambrinus. 

Here is the one from AP:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5i656mzspARejipy3excFuRo0gFtgD8UHMQO01

Thanks tpe.

Although Reuters is reputable, it's good to have confirmation from another agency.
Large was his bounty, and his soul sincere,
Heaven did a recompense as largely send:
He gave to Misery (all he had) a tear,
He gained from Heaven ('twas all he wished) a friend.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #207 on: Feb 01, 2008, 02:54 PM »
Thanks tpe.

Although Reuters is reputable, it's good to have confirmation from another agency.

Yes, the AP article is redundant.  But I couldn't resist posting it also, for the different details.

It is so sad, but I think many of the fans understand the need for privacy in the case of Michelle and the rest of the BBM cast.  As I had said many times, I think they treat this as a personal loss.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #208 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:38 PM »
Yes, the AP article is redundant.  But I couldn't resist posting it also, for the different details.

It is so sad, but I think many of the fans understand the need for privacy in the case of Michelle and the rest of the BBM cast.  As I had said many times, I think they treat this as a personal loss.

They do Thomas.  And I can understand that.  I hope Michelle gets the privacy she craves.

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #209 on: Feb 01, 2008, 03:43 PM »
I think you know what I mean when I say that I wish the preponderance of Heath news at this very moment would just stop and take a break.