Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 644091 times)

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #510 on: Feb 23, 2008, 09:07 PM »
I recently posted the following quote in the "Until the shirts" thread, but realized maybe it should be here because it seems so pertinant, mods can fix if they deem necessary.

Diana Ossana was quoted in the recent Heath Ledger tribute issue of the Advocate:

"One of my most endearing memories of working with Heath on the set was the day we filmed the final scene in Brokeback. Before the first take, Heath walked over to me, a big smile on his face, and said, "I think you're going to like what I've done with this scene" . . . I watched the monitors roll . . . and realized that Heath had chosen to reverse the order of those shirts . . . Such was Heath's commitment to the truth of our story and to the rawness and depth of his portrayal."

It will never get any better than this, this dedication and understanding to ones craft. How fortunate we are to have seen (and felt) this level of commitment. I think we can all see Heath walking over to Diana with that big smile, his energy radiating from that small trailer onto screens around the world.
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #511 on: Feb 23, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Thank you Jackster. I can indeed visualize Heath, in his charismatically casual way of strolling up to Diana Ossana and give of himself, of his deep understanding of a character from his heart, without any bravado as other spoiled stars would do. He was simply relating to a friend, something that connected them together in a labor of love. It is what Heath does best, touching souls. I miss that, everyday, every time I read about something he had done, he wanted to do.

Thank you for the memory of that moment. I will always treasure that.

I recently posted the following quote in the "Until the shirts" thread, but realized maybe it should be here because it seems so pertinent, mods can fix if they deem necessary.

Diana Ossana was quoted in the recent Heath Ledger tribute issue of the Advocate:

"One of my most endearing memories of working with Heath on the set was the day we filmed the final scene in Brokeback. Before the first take, Heath walked over to me, a big smile on his face, and said, "I think you're going to like what I've done with this scene" . . . I watched the monitors roll . . . and realized that Heath had chosen to reverse the order of those shirts . . . Such was Heath's commitment to the truth of our story and to the rawness and depth of his portrayal."

It will never get any better than this, this dedication and understanding to ones craft. How fortunate we are to have seen (and felt) this level of commitment. I think we can all see Heath walking over to Diana with that big smile, his energy radiating from that small trailer onto screens around the world.

Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #512 on: Feb 23, 2008, 10:31 PM »
Beautifully put, both of you.  O0
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #513 on: Feb 24, 2008, 12:20 AM »

http://www.ebar.com/arts/art_article.php?sec=film&article=465

----------------------------------------------

Behind the mask of masculinity Film

Two-day tribute to Heath Ledger at the Castro Theatre
Published 02/21/2008
by David Lamble

Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in Brokeback Mountain .

Thank you for this, Thomas.  I was just going to post it just now.  I love what Heath said about Ennis, of course, and I appreciate how the writer "got" Heath...

(Too bad we can't go to San Francisco tomorrow to see BBM at the Castro, huh?)

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #514 on: Feb 24, 2008, 12:24 AM »

Thank you for posting these, white angel.  The local newspaper obituaries are such a nice old-and-current tradition, and I appreciate seeing these...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #515 on: Feb 24, 2008, 12:39 AM »
ynnaf posted this in the other News, Articles thread -- has it been posted here?

It's really good.  I felt better after reading it -- after all these weeks of bits and pieces, this writer has tried to put together the bigger picture of Heath.  Of course, a lot of well-written articles by people who care are by now surfacing.

kathy

NewYork Magazine

http://nymag.com/news/features/44217/

Offline white_angel

• Alma
  • You're the only one for me, Heath Ledger
« Reply #516 on: Feb 24, 2008, 07:20 AM »
I am not sure if someone has posted this article dated February 7,2008. but anyway here it is.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02072008/realestate/life_after_ledger_118140.htm

LIFE AFTER LEDGER   Life after Ledger    LIFE AFTER LEDGER  Life after Ledger  LIFE AFTER LEDGER

February 7, 2008 -- It didn't take long for Heath Ledger's rental apartment in SoHo to go back on the market.

We hear that the fourth-floor loft at 421 Broome St., where the actor met his demise as a result of mixing an assortment of drugs on Jan. 22, is already quietly being shopped around.

"You don't wait around in a hot rental market like this," says one broker. "As ghoulish as it sounds, people will

rent that place in a heartbeat, especially when the vacancy rate is below 1 percent."

The spacious 4,400-square-foot apartment, which Ledger began renting last September for approximately $22,000 a month, includes three bedrooms, 2½baths, an office, laundry room, gourmet kitchen and a small balcony.

Also featured are 15-foot tin ceilings, cast-iron columns, exposed-brick walls and a wood-burning fireplace.

Sources say it's now being offered for around $25,000 a month.

But for all that money you're still going to have to open the lobby door and haul your own packages. Instead of a doorman, the five-unit building uses an audio/visual intercom system with key-locked elevator.

Calls to the previous listing broker, the Corcoran Group's Darren Kearns, were not returned. The owner of the building, Donald A. Burns - who recently sold "Old Trees," his Southampton estate that had a $48 million price tag - could not be reached for comment.
Can't take my eyes off of you Heath.

yb

« Reply #517 on: Feb 24, 2008, 08:20 AM »
Heath Ledger remembered at the Spirit Awards

Friends and colleagues of Heath Ledger paid an emotional tribute to the tragic star after winning an award for one of his last films.

The director and cast of Bob Dylan homage ‘I’m Not There’ dedicated the honor to Heath at the Film Independent’s Spirit Awards.

They went up on stage together to pick up the Robert Altman Award, given to a director, casting director and ensemble cast. And they told how desperately they miss talented Heath, who died last month from an accidental drug overdose.

Stars including Cate Blanchett looked on as director Todd Haynes saluted Heath, who played seducer Robbie Clark in the movie.

Haynes said: “Honouring this amazing ensemble today is so bittersweet given how shattered we are by Heath’s inconceivable absence.

“We all loved him so dearly.

“He really was unlike anybody I have ever known, giving of himself less like an actor than a creative partner on the film as a whole.

“Far beyond his startling depth and sensitivity on screen, Heath was already an astounding film-maker in his own right and the creator of some of the most exquisite and diverse music videos I have ever seen.

“I know our film, the way it was made, was very close to his own artistic sensibilities and ambitions.

“In fact he had just started circulating a future script that he was planning to direct, an adaptation of ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ by Walter Tevis.

“I have no doubt he would have made an astounding director.

“When I’m not looking bitterly or perhaps selfishly at the future of cinema without him, I treasure the time we shared on this film and the love and talent he gave so freely.

“I know I speak for everyone honoured today in accepting this award in memory of the dazzling and creative spirit of Heath Ledger.”

Blanchett also dedicated her Best Supporting Female award for the film to Heath. She described him as “probably one of the most beautiful spirits of all”, and added: “This is for him.”

By Iain Burchell, Feb 24 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

http://www.showbizspy.com/2008/02/24/heath-ledger-remembered-at-the-spirit-awards/

Offline NoReins

• Jack + Ennis
  • Redlined it all the way
« Reply #518 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:12 AM »
 :t) for sharing that, yb. A very touching tribute.
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #519 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:42 AM »
I am so deeply touched by the beautiful tributes made by people who knew Heath and loved him. This tribute from Todd Haynes and Cate Blanchett have brought me to tears - again. And the editorial from The Advocate is outstanding... thank you everybody for posting them here.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline Emzan

• Jack + Ennis
  • I Miss You My Beautiful Baby
« Reply #520 on: Feb 24, 2008, 09:47 AM »
I know the feeling keren_b :ghug:
Nuke the EFF on!!

Offline white_angel

• Alma
  • You're the only one for me, Heath Ledger
« Reply #521 on: Feb 25, 2008, 02:36 AM »
One of Heaths last photographs...filming " The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2008, 04:41 AM by white_angel »
Can't take my eyes off of you Heath.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #522 on: Feb 25, 2008, 03:33 AM »
Heath Ledger remembered at the Spirit Awards

Friends and colleagues of Heath Ledger paid an emotional tribute to the tragic star after winning an award for one of his last films.

The director and cast of Bob Dylan homage ‘I’m Not There’ dedicated the honor to Heath at the Film Independent’s Spirit Awards.

They went up on stage together to pick up the Robert Altman Award, given to a director, casting director and ensemble cast. And they told how desperately they miss talented Heath, who died last month from an accidental drug overdose.

Stars including Cate Blanchett looked on as director Todd Haynes saluted Heath, who played seducer Robbie Clark in the movie.

Haynes said: “Honouring this amazing ensemble today is so bittersweet given how shattered we are by Heath’s inconceivable absence.

“We all loved him so dearly.

“He really was unlike anybody I have ever known, giving of himself less like an actor than a creative partner on the film as a whole.

“Far beyond his startling depth and sensitivity on screen, Heath was already an astounding film-maker in his own right and the creator of some of the most exquisite and diverse music videos I have ever seen.

“I know our film, the way it was made, was very close to his own artistic sensibilities and ambitions.

“In fact he had just started circulating a future script that he was planning to direct, an adaptation of ‘The Queen’s Gambit’ by Walter Tevis.

“I have no doubt he would have made an astounding director.

“When I’m not looking bitterly or perhaps selfishly at the future of cinema without him, I treasure the time we shared on this film and the love and talent he gave so freely.

“I know I speak for everyone honoured today in accepting this award in memory of the dazzling and creative spirit of Heath Ledger.”

Blanchett also dedicated her Best Supporting Female award for the film to Heath. She described him as “probably one of the most beautiful spirits of all”, and added: “This is for him.”

By Iain Burchell, Feb 24 2008 © Copyright 2008 - Showbiz Spy

http://www.showbizspy.com/2008/02/24/heath-ledger-remembered-at-the-spirit-awards/

That's really very beautiful, and I'm filling up again.   :\'( :\'( :\'(
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

yb

« Reply #523 on: Feb 25, 2008, 06:22 AM »
That's really very beautiful, and I'm filling up again.   :\'( :\'( :\'(

Oh, Christie, that's absolutely beautiful.  But it's also getting more and more painful to read all these - how Heath is loved by all those who had worked with him, and the music videos that he had shown them; to think about what would have been if ....

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #524 on: Feb 25, 2008, 07:14 AM »
Oh, Christie, that's absolutely beautiful.  But it's also getting more and more painful to read all these - how Heath is loved by all those who had worked with him, and the music videos that he had shown them; to think about what would have been if ....

I know exactly what you mean.  I really do.  It just fills me with so much sadness, to know he was so loved, which I know is a beautiful thing, but the fact is, he should still be here.   :\'( :\'( :\'(
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #525 on: Feb 25, 2008, 10:38 AM »

Check the Catro Theatre web site for more information...

---------------------

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/25/DDTGULUDN.DTL

Ledger honored

In tribute to the late Heath Ledger, the Castro Theatre will screen "Brokeback Mountain" tonight. The 2005 film features Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as two young cowboys on a remote ranch who develop a physical relationship.

"Brokeback Mountain" was directed by Ang Lee, based on a story by Annie Proulx. The film received three Academy Awards, including best director, and Ledger won a nomination as best actor.

Offline gambrinus

• Alma Jr.
  • Gone, but never forgotten
« Reply #526 on: Feb 25, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Well, the Oscars included Heath in their In Memorium segment, but it all felt a bit rushed - I thought the BAFTA one was much better. Here's a clip of it:

Heath is right at the end.

Note: it looks like quite a few Oscar clips have been removed already, so the one above might not last long.
Large was his bounty, and his soul sincere,
Heaven did a recompense as largely send:
He gave to Misery (all he had) a tear,
He gained from Heaven ('twas all he wished) a friend.

Offline Rønnaug

• Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
Re: Compilation of Tributes to Heath Ledger
« Reply #527 on: Feb 25, 2008, 04:04 PM »
I am reading Empire magazines live coverage of the Oscars.. minute by minute blog and this made me smile a sad smile.

04.08 GMT - It's the obituaries. In our current exhausted state, the entire Empire staff may cry. Silence please.

04.11 GMT - Yes, just got something in my eye during Heath Ledger.

No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline Kemmer

• Ennis
  • Ennis and Jack and The Mountain changed me forever
« Reply #528 on: Feb 27, 2008, 12:48 AM »
I received my copy of THE ADVOCATE today, with Heath's picture as Ennis Del Mar on the cover.  A very moving article and series of quotes.  I was surprised and very pleased to see included a full-page photo of "Ennis Del Mar" on Brokeback, seated on a log with the dogs at his feet, looking in the general direction of the camera over his left shoulder.  It's a keeper.   :-X
Tell ya what...truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #529 on: Feb 27, 2008, 04:53 AM »
Please,could anybody tell me how and where can I get a copy of "The advocate"?I don´t know if one can find it here in Spain. :t)
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #530 on: Feb 27, 2008, 05:38 AM »
Please,could anybody tell me how and where can I get a copy of "The advocate"?I don´t know if one can find it here in Spain. :t)
I will try to buy two when it comes in. If I don't hear from the bookstore tomorrow I will ring again to check they haven't forgotten me, but they promised to save a copy, hopefully they'll have a spare.
"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #531 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:32 AM »
I will try to buy two when it comes in. If I don't hear from the bookstore tomorrow I will ring again to check they haven't forgotten me, but they promised to save a copy, hopefully they'll have a spare.

Could I have one,please?Tell me what I must do for getting it,do you want? ^f^
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #532 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:04 AM »

Dear MPJ:
On the ADVOCATE website [Advocate.com] they list the following contact info. Note they have an "Outside USA" phone number. They take VISA/MC. I think if you can call them during their business hours in the USA they should be able to you get as many copies as you want. Hope this helps. :)
PS. It is Issue #1003 that you want.

BACK ISSUES
Call:

Monday - Friday; 8:30 a.m. - 11 p.m. EST
(800) 827-0561 (USA)
(845) 457-1574 (Outside USA)
Visa/MC/Amex accepted

Write:
Advocate Back Issues
P.O. Box 410
Montvale, NJ 07645
$3.99 US each, plus $4.50 US postage for the first copy, $1.50 for each additional copy
*Indicate issue number or date.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #533 on: Feb 27, 2008, 10:09 AM »
Thank you,Jackster¡ I´ll try it as soon as I can... :^^)

("If I asked")
                         ----------------

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #534 on: Feb 27, 2008, 05:15 PM »
A very nice tribute to Heath along with a very nice 7 min. video montage of Heath photographs (on and off camera) set to the music of "He Was A Friend of Mine" followed by "The Maker Makes".

The Movie Barn advertises itself as blogspot featuring Gay Themed Non-Commercial Must-See Movies.

The tribute is long, but thorough and well written and the video is extremely well done.

http://moviebarn.blogspot.com/2008/01/remembering-heath-ledger.html

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #535 on: Feb 28, 2008, 12:18 AM »
A very nice tribute to Heath along with a very nice 7 min. video montage of Heath photographs (on and off camera) set to the music of "He Was A Friend of Mine" followed by "The Maker Makes"
The Movie Barn advertises itself as blogspot featuring Gay Themed Non-Commercial Must-See Movies.
The tribute is long, but thorough and well written and the video is extremely well done.
That just beautiful!! thank you for sharing!!!  :^^)
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #536 on: Feb 28, 2008, 12:07 PM »
A very nice tribute to Heath along with a very nice 7 min. video montage of Heath photographs (on and off camera) set to the music of "He Was A Friend of Mine" followed by "The Maker Makes".

Thanks,Jackster¡ But hearing "He was a friend of mine" still hurts too much... :\'(

("If I asked")
                         ----------------

Offline ayasha

• scatterheart
  • Jack + Ennis
  • never enough...
« Reply #537 on: Feb 28, 2008, 04:29 PM »
     One part of these weeks, mostly small, has been looking through the torrent of information, sometimes in a gloomy mood.  It has helped
a little.  Anyway, I found something trivial, but will pass it along, for those, like me, who do look for those little facts and events prior to 1/22.
    When Ayashae started a thread--"Synchronicity", I mostly avoided it; hadn't known what it referred to, and then decided it was a little
too deep for me.  But Heath knew what it was, which shows he had a broad base of knowing the strangeness in events in life.
   I came across a more complete interview with the director, Shakhar Kapur, who had called him, the night before.  Heath complained of jet lag,
(which can, in itself, be a very serious physical ailment), and Kapur said he was scheduling Heath for a massage for 3 P.M., the next day, which
would be a good way to induce sleep, by deep muscle relaxation.  Heath said he already had an appointment for the exact same time and they
cracked jokes about....synchronicity.
  Considering all the things that went wrong---damn.  And yet that may well have been the last hearty laugh Heath had---the strange coincidences
in life----Ayashae's subject---synchronicity.  Not much to most people, but it did show me that Heath was very well-read.

Dear Tony,

excuse my delay in replying your post,  but you know I thank you so much for pointing me to it ^f^: This anecdote makes me feel warm at heart, Heath knowing about this specific topic, shows that, at any rate, we were in the same wavelength...it's such a sweet wink for us, isn't it?

I'll try to find out more about it, maybe you're right when you said you wanted to know more about the true Heath...surely not the most private ones, but there are so many things we don't know about him that would make us feel somehow closer to him, and with that feeling of warmth inside, despite the sorrow and longing.

How strange this is...it all seems a bad dream and when I come to this threads it all becomes so real...gosh  :\'(
"And then the day came,
when the risk
to remain tight
in a bud
was more painful
than the risk
it took to blossom"

Anaïs Nin

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #538 on: Feb 28, 2008, 06:05 PM »
  Hi, Ayashae---am glad you found out that Heath had an understanding of a rare subject most of us had never heard of before, except you
and Lance.  And maybe that was a wink....who knows?  After all, that's the nature of that subject, at times.  At any rate, except for you,
I would never have understood what he was saying.  Many thanks.

Offline MarieMJS

• Happy, Happy, Joy
  • Alma Jr.
  • You and me are drifting into outter space...
« Reply #539 on: Feb 28, 2008, 07:20 PM »
Thanks,Jackster¡ But hearing "He was a friend of mine" still hurts too much... :\'(

Oh geez, I so agree with that... And whenever I hear a sad Rufus Wainwright song, it's the same(crazy!!)...

Wonderful tribute though...