Author Topic: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks  (Read 52678 times)

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2006, 10:03 AM »
Isn't it possible you are all just over analyzing this just a bit?

 ;D

Quite possibly - but, hell, it's fun ;D

Anyway, still doesn't really answer why Ennis puts his hat on when he sits up after the "prayer of thanks". OK, he was sitting up, but why put his hat on? Jack didn't have his on and he was sitting up all the time.

Go on then.... ;)
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2006, 10:18 AM »
What do I love most about Ennis in the beginning this scene?

It is one of the rare moments when you see him momentarily unclouded by guilt and dreaded memory.

What do I love most about Jack in the beginning of this scene?

It is one of the rare moments when you see him so secure in their love.

What is the only other scene when we can apply the above comments without modification?

We have discussed this correspondence earlier: it is the beatific dozy embrace.

By this very correspondence, we can begin to understand why this scene crystallizes everything in this world that we hold most beautiful and most rare.

 

Offline Patriot1

  • BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2527
  • Gender: Male
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2006, 10:20 AM »
Being practical would mean just watching the film and moving on.  Just can't be that practical, sorry!  ;)

No!! Not at all!  There are hunderds of things in this movie to talk about without making things up or assigning motives to cast and crew that they never even thought about.   :D

But, I did enjoy a good laugh to my self.  Thanks for that.   ;D

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline Patriot1

  • BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2527
  • Gender: Male
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2006, 10:28 AM »
Isn't it possible you are all just over analyzing this just a bit?

 ;D

Quite possibly - but, hell, it's fun ;D

Anyway, still doesn't really answer why Ennis puts his hat on when he sits up after the "prayer of thanks". OK, he was sitting up, but why put his hat on? Jack didn't have his on and he was sitting up all the time.

Go on then.... ;)

This is only a guess mind you.  But, seeing Ennis had it handy, he put it on when he sat up. When a man wears a hat outside and he takes it off for a reason (to lay down) but then he gets up, he puts the hat back on where it belongs.  He is out doors. And, I am sure he didn't want to sit there holding it.  I didn't even see Jack's hat anywhere around.  Maybe it was in the tent or in the truck.  Don't know.  But I''d bet it wasn't anywhere around him.  And, for a practicle reason he didn't have it on, it would have shaded his face from the firelight and wouldn't  have been a good picture. Couldn't have seen the facial expressions on his face as he and Ennis talked.

I just watched this scene again.  Ennis puts his hat back on because the hat was on his knee while he was laying down.  So, when he got up he put it back on. 

« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 10:43 AM by Patriot1 »
Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2006, 11:33 AM »
I just watched this scene again.  Ennis puts his hat back on because the hat was on his knee while he was laying down.  So, when he got up he put it back on. 

Ah, that's cheating - I'm at work and can't watch bits again to clarify things ;D

Just about to leave, though - may have to watch some bits of the movie when I get in ;)
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline Patriot1

  • BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2527
  • Gender: Male
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2006, 11:50 AM »
I didn't even see Jack's hat anywhere around.  Maybe it was in the tent or in the truck.  Don't know.  But I'd bet it wasn't anywhere around him.

Sorry for quoting myself here.

The reason I didn't see Jack's hat is because it is in plain sight sitting on his knee.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sure would have lost that bet if I didn't spot it before someone else did!!   ;D

But, I will stick to the practical reason he wasn't wearing it.  Wasn't trying to make himself vulnerable by taking it off.   ;)  I don't think our boys thought that deeply.

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline FlwrChild

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 18550
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2006, 11:58 AM »
But Patriot1, I think you're missing the point. Remember, that's half the point of poetry, literature, movies, etc. Assigning motives, yes. Making things up, no. The author wants each reader/viewer to interpret it uniquely. He/she expresses his/her vision and then sets it free to inspire the next person in whatever way it will. If so many layers can be found in one piece of artwork, I should think most authors/artists would be extremely proud.

Besides, it is just so much fun! 
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline FlwrChild

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 18550
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2006, 12:14 PM »
Isn't it possible you are all just over analyzing this just a bit?

 ;D

I am not sure, personally, Patriot1.

Honestly, with tears in my eyes just know, I am sure I am being more emotional than analytical at the moment.

I guess we tend to see symbolism where it is most meaningful to us.   I apologize for this, but the vision becomes a bit too personal for me to rationaize it so deep inside.



tpe, I love you. And you truly are a poet! Don't apologize - you're absolutely right. We each see it differently because it touches on something personal in all of us. You don't have to be a gay cowboy to be moved by this story or to relate to certain aspects of it. On a side note, I have found this to be the case for myself with a lot of Jake's movies. In the Good Girl, it's Holden wanting someone who 'gets' him (I do too). In MM, it's Joe's comment about knowing someone better than 60 lousy percent because it's the last 40 that counts (very personal issue for me right now too). And though I am neither male nor gay, in the context of the dynamics  of my relationship, I am definitely Jack.
So you see, you're supposed to look at it through the eyes of your own personal experience. All we really have for reference in the end is who we are.
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2006, 01:12 PM »
I didn't even see Jack's hat anywhere around.  Maybe it was in the tent or in the truck.  Don't know.  But I'd bet it wasn't anywhere around him.

Sorry for quoting myself here.

The reason I didn't see Jack's hat is because it is in plain sight sitting on his knee.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sure would have lost that bet if I didn't spot it before someone else did!!   ;D

But, I will stick to the practical reason he wasn't wearing it.  Wasn't trying to make himself vulnerable by taking it off.   ;)  I don't think our boys thought that deeply.



Damn you Patriot1! I got in from work and put the dvd on (it lives in the player) to check this bit....spotted it right away, but couldn't tear myself away from the movie to come on here immediately...and now I get round to it, I find out you spotted it first. Not fair ;)
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline Patriot1

  • BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2527
  • Gender: Male
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2006, 01:23 PM »
I didn't even see Jack's hat anywhere around.  Maybe it was in the tent or in the truck.  Don't know.  But I'd bet it wasn't anywhere around him.

Sorry for quoting myself here.

The reason I didn't see Jack's hat is because it is in plain sight sitting on his knee.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sure would have lost that bet if I didn't spot it before someone else did!!   ;D

But, I will stick to the practical reason he wasn't wearing it.  Wasn't trying to make himself vulnerable by taking it off.   ;)  I don't think our boys thought that deeply.



Damn you Patriot1! I got in from work and put the dvd on (it lives in the player) to check this bit....spotted it right away, but couldn't tear myself away from the movie to come on here immediately...and now I get round to it, I find out you spotted it first. Not fair ;)


 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Sorry dear.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2006, 01:46 PM »
I didn't even see Jack's hat anywhere around.  Maybe it was in the tent or in the truck.  Don't know.  But I'd bet it wasn't anywhere around him.

Sorry for quoting myself here.

The reason I didn't see Jack's hat is because it is in plain sight sitting on his knee.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sure would have lost that bet if I didn't spot it before someone else did!!   ;D

But, I will stick to the practical reason he wasn't wearing it.  Wasn't trying to make himself vulnerable by taking it off.   ;)  I don't think our boys thought that deeply.



Damn you Patriot1! I got in from work and put the dvd on (it lives in the player) to check this bit....spotted it right away, but couldn't tear myself away from the movie to come on here immediately...and now I get round to it, I find out you spotted it first. Not fair ;)


 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Sorry dear.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

S'alright ;)
He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2006, 01:50 PM »
Thanks FlwrChild, and thanks to everyone who puts the time to make this thread so meaningful and fun at the same time.

FlwrChild, I was just discussing the movie the other day with my supervisor.  He agrees with what you said here. 

There is too much beauty in this scene to forfeit to the mundane.

If ever I have a triptych constructed in the golden shrine of BBM, the central panel shall depict the dozy embrace, on one side shall depict the shirts, and the other side shall depict the 'prayer of thanks'.

For now, that shrine is within all of us.  The beauty of this scene and all of BBM is within each of us.  It rejoices in every waking moment that we live by a vision of such love.




« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 02:00 PM by tpe »

Offline edgar

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 244
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2006, 06:18 PM »
I'm checkin' in here after the fight's over, it seems, but I think Flower Child has a good point about the hats.

It's done in other movies and plays, by the way.  Hat on obviously hides more of a person's face, makes them less readable, less emotionally available, etc.

Just think of the early scene where the old, pre-Jack Ennis is standing there using his hat to hide behind when Jack is trying to check him out.

Offline Patriot1

  • BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2527
  • Gender: Male
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2006, 07:18 PM »
Just think of the early scene where the old, pre-Jack Ennis is standing there using his hat to hide behind when Jack is trying to check him out.

I am trying to imagine that same scene with Ennis laying down trying to hide his face.  Would he have his hat on or no.  I think not.

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline FlwrChild

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 18550
  • Gender: Female
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2006, 08:21 PM »
I'm checkin' in here after the fight's over, it seems, but I think Flower Child has a good point about the hats.

It's done in other movies and plays, by the way.  Hat on obviously hides more of a person's face, makes them less readable, less emotionally available, etc.

Just think of the early scene where the old, pre-Jack Ennis is standing there using his hat to hide behind when Jack is trying to check him out.

Just to clarify - I have to give credit where credit is due. MississaugaRed is responsible for the excellent post on the hats. :)
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline edgar

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 244
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2006, 01:09 AM »
I'm checkin' in here after the fight's over, it seems, but I think Flower Child has a good point about the hats.

It's done in other movies and plays, by the way.  Hat on obviously hides more of a person's face, makes them less readable, less emotionally available, etc.

Just think of the early scene where the old, pre-Jack Ennis is standing there using his hat to hide behind when Jack is trying to check him out.

Just to clarify - I have to give credit where credit is due. MississaugaRed is responsible for the excellent post on the hats. :)
Oops!! Kudos to Missasauga Red. *applause*

Patriot... are you trying to be difficult here?  ;)

Obviously, you can't use *just* hats 100 per cent of the time to communicate open/closed emotional stance. But, as MissRed points out, it is *one* of the tools Lee uses to help communicate the emotions and subtelties of this film. In this film, as we all know, as much is communicated by what remains unsaid as by what is said. So you gotta use some other tactics now and then. We got surreptitious glances, we got licking lips, we got jaw muscles locking, we got various sighs, grunts and yeehaws....
and.   we.   got.   hats.

Enjoy it!    ;D

Offline MississaugaRed

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3641
  • Gender: Female
  • Gone too soon, but never forgotten.
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2006, 06:03 AM »
You are all so funny!!!

I can't take any credit for all the excellent posts following my "throwing my hat into the ring" as it were, Edgar! :)

NoReins, FlwrChild, Tpe (and now you, Edgar) all responded so eloquently to Patriot1's fun challenge to the hat theme, far better than I could have, nothin' for me to do but stand back and enjoy the ride.  It's been entertaining, to say the least.  I'd say "ain't no reins on this one", but she has been here, so .. Hi, NoReins!

For the record, Patriot1 is absolutely correct in that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar ... but sometimes it's more, n'est pas?? ;)

Didn't think my little hat comments would go this far, though.  Maybe this discussion should be moved to a more appropriate thread so as not to offend?? Don't want to take the focus off the "prayer of thanks" topic .....   ???

(that's me, fearing the Moderators again!! - and I ain't jokin'!  ... okay, well, maybe a little)
"Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan".
My hovercraft is full of eels.

“I miss you,” Jack whispered. “I miss you.” He felt loved. He felt heard. Shades of Grey by MidwestGirl

Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2006, 08:29 AM »
I'd say "ain't no reins on this one", but she has been here, so .. Hi, NoReins!

;D

This has become a pretty entertaining thread, hasn't it? But maybe we should get back to the original (fantastic) scene under discussion - go on MissRed, get that thread started ;)

He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2006, 09:09 AM »
Although the digression about that hats originated here as a meaningful observation relative to the original topic, perhaps we should leave it that for the moment and go back the wonderful scene at hand.  :)

Thanks all.  If such is the desire, perhaps one of us can create a separate thread, quoting the original post about the hats?

Let us appreciate anew that splendid vision of Ennis and Jack in their first reunion in the mountains... 





Offline NoReins

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7677
  • Gender: Female
  • Redlined it all the way
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2006, 10:02 AM »
I know we don't usually do photos in this section, but maybe this will help to get everyone's minds back on the scene at hand?

He will be eternally missed, but he will never be forgotten

Christopher Nolan, accepting the Best Supporting Actor Golden Globe on Heath's behalf.

He was, as an actor and a professional and a human being, one of a kind

Charles Roven, accepting Heath's BAFTA.

This award tonight would have humbly validated Heath's quiet determination to be truly accepted by you all here — his peers within an industry he so loved.

Kim Ledger, accepting Heath's Oscar.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2006, 10:17 AM »
I know we don't usually do photos in this section, but maybe this will help to get everyone's minds back on the scene at hand?

Thnaks NoReins.   I also created a separate thread for the other topic, so we can continue with the main one here.  :)


Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2006, 12:45 PM »
What do I love most about Ennis in the beginning this scene?

It is one of the rare moments when you see him momentarily unclouded by guilt and dreaded memory.

What do I love most about Jack in the beginning of this scene?

It is one of the rare moments when you see him so secure in their love.

What is the only other scene when we can apply the above comments without modification?

We have discussed this correspondence earlier: it is the beatific dozy embrace.

By this very correspondence, we can begin to understand why this scene crystallizes everything in this world that we hold most beautiful and most rare.

 


Well said!  Exactly right -- the beautiful freedom of Ennis's smile, the love in Jack's words, corresponding to the dozy embrace...  (Must say about that scene, when Ennis softly sings to Jack, that is another moment of Ennis's freedom of spirit -- an intimate connection and a revealing of himself so rare in his tragically repressed self.)

ks / kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2006, 02:29 PM »
Thanks Kathy.

That smile in the 'prayer of thanks' scene: priceless.






Offline ksxks

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11571
  • Gender: Female
  • brokeback got us good
Re: Ennis: Sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2006, 06:22 PM »
Thanks Kathy.

That smile in the 'prayer of thanks' scene: priceless.








 ;)  Oh you floor me.

ks
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.