Author Topic: LIVE THREAD: BAFTA Awards - BBM Won 4 - Thought & Reaction  (Read 219486 times)

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
Re: LIVE THREAD: BAFTA Awards - BBM Won 4 - Thought & Reaction
« Reply #690 on: Feb 21, 2006, 04:06 PM »
I agree with you Jennis about this.  When I first heard Jake give his speech as live, I took his social over artistic comment to mean that due to the taboo subject of gay love being portrayed so beautifully in a mainstream hollywood film, and the reactions to it since it's release, he felt so proud to be part of it.  If it has anything to do with his sexuality, then that's fine, but I personally don't think it does - I think getting the award gave him an excuse to acknowledge again how happy he was to be a part of such an important film. 

I heard a backstage interview he gave, and he talked more about the social/artistic comment - he said he had been overawed by people's positive reactions to the film, and in particular those in the gay community (even though we all acknowledge the story is universally a love story), which made him even more proud of being part of it. 

Maybe it's also to do with his changing attitudes too - remember on Oprah he was asked about how doing the film had changed his views and perceptions of gay love (the question from Oprah and the answer from Jake were not particularly straightforward, and I think he probably felt a little uncomfortable talking about it, but I actually admired him for addressing it, as he's no doubt grown as a person as well as an actor due to this film).

I just think he comes across as a lovely person, with a fantastic sense of humour, but also very intelligent and articulate, and very unhollywood IMO.

Well done Jake.....you made everyone on this forum VERY proud!!  ;D ;D ;D

"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #691 on: Feb 21, 2006, 04:51 PM »
I agree with you Jennis about this.  When I first heard Jake give his speech as live, I took his social over artistic comment to mean that due to the taboo subject of gay love being portrayed so beautifully in a mainstream hollywood film, and the reactions to it since it's release, he felt so proud to be part of it.  If it has anything to do with his sexuality, then that's fine, but I personally don't think it does - I think getting the award gave him an excuse to acknowledge again how happy he was to be a part of such an important film. 

I heard a backstage interview he gave, and he talked more about the social/artistic comment - he said he had been overawed by people's positive reactions to the film, and in particular those in the gay community (even though we all acknowledge the story is universally a love story), which made him even more proud of being part of it. 

Maybe it's also to do with his changing attitudes too - remember on Oprah he was asked about how doing the film had changed his views and perceptions of gay love (the question from Oprah and the answer from Jake were not particularly straightforward, and I think he probably felt a little uncomfortable talking about it, but I actually admired him for addressing it, as he's no doubt grown as a person as well as an actor due to this film).

I just think he comes across as a lovely person, with a fantastic sense of humour, but also very intelligent and articulate, and very unhollywood IMO.

Well done Jake.....you made everyone on this forum VERY proud!!  ;D ;D ;D

I agree with you as well

I believe that if he'd said personal rather than social , he might, and that's just might, have been talking about his sexuality . As a gay man I am sick of folks trying to make more out of things than they can actaully prove. So what if he is gay or not. What he is more than anything is a talented, lovely, fun loving young man - let him be please.  (even if it means letting him be mine Esme).

The fact he said social , I believe means he was talking about how socially aware he has become due to the reactions around the world to the many many sites like this (but non of them half as good). How would you react and what would you think if you recieved hundreds of postcards from us here on ennisjack.com. Would it not make you very aware of the impact your work is having socially? In interviews all the stars and the director have expressed how they have had many letters from many types of people around the world. Even Annie Proulx and Larry and Diana have been amazed , overwhelmed and gladdened by the reaction to their works.

He could also have meant social as is having made great friends among the cast and crew. Just a thought.

Let the boy enjoy his moment, because I enjoyed it for him.

Peace and love

Tom
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #692 on: Feb 21, 2006, 05:30 PM »
Let the boy enjoy his moment, because I enjoyed it for him.

Peace and love

Tom

Yes i'm with you on that Christie and Tom.Jake's sexuality and private life should be exactly that.Private! I have an interview he did in London in January this year and he was quite honest and open and admitted that he turned the film role down previously because he wasn't comfortable with it and he told his friends about it and they also said "What!,No way,you can't do a film like that.".He said he always loved the story though.

Admittedly he was much younger,too young for the part at that stage.But oh how times and opinions change,and that is why groups and forums like this have sprung up all over the world, dedicated to BBM, because it's having such an impact.It has somehow managed to change some of the bigots in this world.I hope it lasts when all the fanfare dies down?

Jennis.x

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #693 on: Feb 21, 2006, 05:44 PM »
Hear Hear!  Jennis.

We will have to keep the impetus going  till at least Oscar night. However I think this film will be a defining one.

I saw an article on Youtube broadcast by Canadian TV prior to the opening of BBM. It was very homophobic and basically said that America and the world was not ready for this movie. I think from the reactions of people round the world, that it was way past ready!

Particularly in middle America where cimemas were still doing good business despite the hate being spewed from pulpits.
There is so much fear in the world today, that love in whatever shape or form it comes, is seen as something positive. Long may it last

:-* :-*Tom

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #694 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:11 PM »
"With this film, in particular, I've had a lot of people say to me. 'thank you for making it...I've been waiting for this film since I was born'.

To have people go into the theatre and have an experience like that - to feel it's made a social impression, that social impression to me is the aftermath of an artistic impression, and so much more important."

This is what Jake said after receiving his award......

What a lovely guy.....and so damn sexy too!  :P

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #695 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:27 PM »
Hi Peeps,
Here is new link for Bafta clips and Ang and Jake's red carpet interviews with Ruby Wax.19-02-06.The old one has exceeded bandwidth.Any probs with this one,please let me know.Thanks.Just out of interest,is the Bafta's shown in the U.S.A at all.

Jennis.x

NEW LINK...Any probs,please let me know.Thanks.

http://s46.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0KBOB6XB2EL6A20NKONK6LQ6HH
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2006, 05:49 PM by Jennis »

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #696 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:31 PM »
I agree, I so want Heath to get something. I know he got Michelle and Mathilda out of this movie, but please show him how great he was.

Looking forward to Oscars and now your Birthday. Don't worry I don't need to know!

I think it will be a great night.

Tom

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #697 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:43 PM »
I agree, I so want Heath to get something. I know he got Michelle and Mathilda out of this movie, but please show him how great he was.

Looking forward to Oscars and now your Birthday. Don't worry I don't need to know!

I think it will be a great night.

Tom

It will.Don't know if i will be in or out but i shall catch up with it all and hopefully join the live thread.It's a long night the Oscars if i remember rightly.I don't have a tv guide for that date yet,but i think we get it during the early hours as a rule.Can't wait.Go Heath,you deserve it sweetie.

J.x

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #698 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Night Jennis, Night Christie, night to all I aint spoke to tonight

Sleep well

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Tom

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #699 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:52 PM »
Night Jennis, Night Christie, night to all I aint spoke to tonight

Sleep well

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Tom

Night Tom.

I'm off as well.Sweet dreams .

Jennis.x

Offline streetskater

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #700 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:28 PM »

In General Heath has been far more lauded for his portrayal of Ennis than has been Jake for Jack Twist.   So much so that I found it necessarily to make several posts on various forums saying that I think Jake has been somewhat overlooked for a  performance that is deeply textured even though it may appear to be all about Bambi eyes and pretty facial shots captured by Ang Lee. 

The irony seems to be  that with Philip Seymour Hoffman posting so many wins over Heath--it may be Heath who is under acknowledged in the final analysis....and actually we're really just coming down the the American Academy Awards where I'd say Hoffman is very strongly favored. 

And I do think it's a pity that George Clooney came up against Brokeback Mountain this year  in acting and directing and for best picture.  Good Night and Good Luck is otherwise such a worthy choice for some of these awards--I can't help but want to see them go to Brokeback though.

Offline backtobrokeback

• Alma
  • Jack, I swear... --
« Reply #701 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:40 PM »
I don't think it's a pity - it's an abundance of riches - really MEANINGFUL films that matter instead of trivia.  Good Night and Good Luck, Munich, Crash, Brokeback Mountain.  I hardly know which one deserves more praise (except that I'm horribly biased toward the Greatest Film Ever, BBM).  :-P  I am thrilled that all the nominated films actually deserve their nominations, and that actors can get noticed for roles that actually make them work hard.

btb
He pressed his face into the fabric and breathed in slowly through his mouth and nose, hoping for the faintest smoke and mountain sage and salty sweet stink of Jack but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain of which nothing was left but what he held in his hands. Make the pledge! Go Back to Brokeback whenever, however you can. Join the BTB Project.

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #702 on: Feb 21, 2006, 08:49 PM »

In General Heath has been far more lauded for his portrayal of Ennis than has been Jake for Jack Twist.   So much so that I found it necessarily to make several posts on various forums saying that I think Jake has been somewhat overlooked for a  performance that is deeply textured even though it may appear to be all about Bambi eyes and pretty facial shots captured by Ang Lee. 

The irony seems to be  that with Philip Seymour Hoffman posting so many wins over Heath--it may be Heath who is under acknowledged in the final analysis....and actually we're really just coming down the the American Academy Awards where I'd say Hoffman is very strongly favored. 

And I do think it's a pity that George Clooney came up against Brokeback Mountain this year  in acting and directing and for best picture.  Good Night and Good Luck is otherwise such a worthy choice for some of these awards--I can't help but want to see them go to Brokeback though.

I agree that if BMM was a 2006 film, 2005 would have belonged to George Clooney..Period. He is being very gracious and professional about the whole thing, but GNandGL is a tremendous film, even better than previous winners such as Million Dollar Baby or Titanic or Shakespeare in Love. Capote is ok as a film and Hoffman is great, but that film will be forgotten, not to mention hardly anyone has seen it!! Its all BBM as far as I am concerned.
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #703 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:12 PM »
Yeah it's weird, yes Clooney is getting over shadowed, it's odd.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #704 on: Feb 21, 2006, 09:49 PM »

Yes i'm with you on that Christie and Tom.Jake's sexuality and private life should be exactly that.Private! 

My feelings exactly, thank you Jennis.  It's that old gossip tale, a friend of a friend of a friend told me that ...  Typical tabloid type garbage.  Gossip hurts people and trying to stamp an actor/actress as "gay" just feeds into the hands of the Hollywood homophobes.     

Yes this is not the world of politics.  Jake is entitled to his privacy.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #705 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:26 PM »
Tom & Jennis - thank you so much for working on these clips. These are ennisjack.com exclusives  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #706 on: Feb 21, 2006, 11:08 PM »

Yes many many thanks to Tom and Jennis !!!!!  A surpurb example of fine international cooperation.  :D :D :D :D :D   

Jake and Ruby Wax were a hoot.  Jake seemed ready for her and baited her by reading her cue cards.   Her accent - I couldn't figure out is she Canadian or American ?

Offline chrissy323

• Alma
« Reply #707 on: Feb 21, 2006, 11:50 PM »

Don't get me wrong - I think both Heath and Jake were tremendous.

But I have come to expect great nuanced performances from Jake and when I really think about it, Jack was very much like many other characters Jake has played (except maybe in Jarhead). I think that was even brought up in one of the many articles I've read and I think Jake even said that somewhere.

I was, however, completely blown away by Heath's characterization of Ennis. I think that's one of the reasons I keep going back. I swear (reference to the movie unintended) that if I hadn't known it was Heath Ledger ahead of time, I never would have thought it was him. The voice, the look, the pinched face, it was amazing.

Chrissy

"No More Beans"

"Beans 'bout all we got left"

"We got to do somethin' 'bout this food situation. Maybe I'll shoot one of the sheep"

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em"

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
« Reply #708 on: Feb 22, 2006, 12:11 AM »
Both guys are great actors. Heath just had the "better" part maybe? His brief work in Monster's Ball got him the job on BBM, too. He was incredible.

Offline streetskater

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #709 on: Feb 22, 2006, 12:30 AM »

But I have come to expect great nuanced performances from Jake and when I really think about it, Jack was very much like many other characters Jake has played ...

I was, however, completely blown away by Heath's characterization of Ennis. I think that's one of the reasons I keep going back. I swear (reference to the movie unintended) that if I hadn't known it was Heath Ledger ahead of time, I never would have thought it was him. The voice, the look, the pinched face, it was amazing.

Chrissy

I would probably agree that Health's is a more completely amazing role.   I've only ever seen Gyllenhaal in Day After Tomorrow which I found totally forgettable.--Only seen Heath in Knight's Tale which was even more forgettable--imho.

I don't know what "motivation" a str8 actor would need to find his Ennis Del Mar--but speaking as a gay man--Jake's Jack Twist would be all the reason I'd need to get up in the morning and face another day! :-)  Gyllenhaal's portrayal of Twist totally acts as the "muse" for the  Ennis character--that's just the way I experience the movie

--and I find it even easier to impose Jake's Twist on the Ann Proulx Short Story.   Just as Annie herself say's that Heath goes deeper into Ennis than she herself did writing the original text--I find Jake's twist somehow more real and convincing than the Jack Twist she originally conjured up.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #710 on: Feb 22, 2006, 03:29 AM »

Chrissy[/b]

I totally agree with you 100% Chrissie about Heath's fantastic portrayal of Ennis - he totally became Ennis, and understood what he needed to do in order to play the part convincingly.  I saw a brilliant documentary (posted on here in treasure box) which had Heath go into specific detail about why he felt he could play the role of Ennis, and what he could bring to the part.  He is so interesting to listen to, he is very articulate and you know he just got what Ennis was all about.  I love his accent too! And when you look at Heath now, it's hard to believe that he played Ennis, they look so different. 

Blows me away, every time I see him on screen.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #711 on: Feb 22, 2006, 05:59 AM »
Tom & Jennis - thank you so much for working on these clips. These are ennisjack.com exclusives  :-* :-* :-* :-*

You are all very welcome.Yes exclusive as i haven't posted them anywhere else.This is my favourite place to be with lovely,genuine people.There are a lot of BBM groups,LJ's etc,but none compares to this one.
Jennis.x

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #712 on: Feb 22, 2006, 07:22 AM »

Yes many many thanks to Tom and Jennis !!!!!  A surpurb example of fine international cooperation.  :D :D :D :D :D   

Jake and Ruby Wax were a hoot.  Jake seemed ready for her and baited her by reading her cue cards.   Her accent - I couldn't figure out is she Canadian or American ?

Yes,i love it!

Ruby is american,born in Chicago (Illinois)She moved too England when she was 17.Hasn't lost her accent though.

Jennis.x

Offline CherryCake

• Jack
  • You want a piece of me? YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME??!!
« Reply #713 on: Feb 22, 2006, 08:18 AM »
THANKS TOM & JENNNIS FOR YOUR CLIPS.. IT WAS JUST LIKE BEING THERE...
Very much appreciated :) :)

"Want some coffee, don't you? Piece a cherry cake?"

Hit me up on Yahoo: PieceOfCherryCake

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
« Reply #714 on: Feb 22, 2006, 09:31 AM »

But I have come to expect great nuanced performances from Jake and when I really think about it, Jack was very much like many other characters Jake has played ...

Chrissy

I would probably agree that Health's is a more completely amazing role.   I've only ever seen Gyllenhaal in Day After Tomorrow which I found totally forgettable.--Only seen Heath in Knight's Tale which was even more forgettable--imho.

I don't know what "motivation" a str8 actor would need to find his Ennis Del Mar--but speaking as a gay man--Jake's Jack Twist would be all the reason I'd need to get up in the morning and face another day! :-)  Gyllenhaal's portrayal of Twist totally acts as the "muse" for the  Ennis character--that's just the way I experience the movie

--and I find it even easier to impose Jake's Twist on the Ann Proulx Short Story.   Just as Annie herself say's that Heath goes deeper into Ennis than she herself did writing the original text--I find Jake's twist somehow more real and convincing than the Jack Twist she originally conjured up.

You will want ot see Heath in Monster's Ball and Jake in The Good Girl. Excellent work. They both got alot of attention in these excellent smaller,supporting roles.

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis

aimi15

« Reply #716 on: Feb 22, 2006, 05:58 PM »
Tombul - thanks so much for these, got so carried away watching it forgot to tape it! Once again - many thanks xx :-*

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #717 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:17 PM »
Welcome!  hugs 'n' cuddles to be sent to me c/o ennis jack.com.

Tom

aimi15

« Reply #718 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:19 PM »
Welcome!  hugs 'n' cuddles to be sent to me c/o ennis jack.com.

Tom
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Tom

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #719 on: Feb 22, 2006, 06:22 PM »
Thanks.....Off to have some ZZZZzzz's.

Night Aimi

Tom