Author Topic: If you had the ability to rewrite the screenplay...  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Youbet!

• Cassie
If you had the ability to rewrite the screenplay...
« on: Jan 20, 2022, 05:27 PM »
and reshoot the movie, what things would you change?

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
Re: If you had the ability to rewrite the screenplay...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2022, 08:31 PM »
Absolutely nothing. It's perfect just the way it is.   <^(   :c)
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2022, 10:42 AM »
Interesting questions. Perhaps make it longer so we can have more of Ennis and Jack. Ah.. And thos sheep too.  :s:
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2022, 08:56 PM »
Interesting questions. Perhaps make it longer so we can have more of Ennis and Jack. Ah.. And thos sheep too.  :s:

There ain't never enough time, never enough...

I don't know if I'd change anything.  I want them to have that sweet life and for Jack not to be dead but their story as told through the movie and SS sparked so many thoughtful discussions here.

If I had to pick something :s) I guess I'd want to see the deleted garage scene from the trailer added in so I'd have a better idea if Jack was murdered or died accidentally. I believe and always did that he was murdered; I still have a hard time watching that scene. That being said, I think the not truly knowing inserts us further into their story and most especially Ennis' pain after Jack's death.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2022, 10:47 AM »
There ain't never enough time, never enough...

I don't know if I'd change anything.  I want them to have that sweet life and for Jack not to be dead but their story as told through the movie and SS sparked so many thoughtful discussions here.

If I had to pick something :s) I guess I'd want to see the deleted garage scene from the trailer added in so I'd have a better idea if Jack was murdered or died accidentally. I believe and always did that he was murdered; I still have a hard time watching that scene. That being said, I think the not truly knowing inserts us further into their story and most especially Ennis' pain after Jack's death.

;D never enough time. You are right about the deleted garage scene. I have forgotten about it. Like you, I want them to have a sweet life. I guess if they did, the movie probably would not have had strong impacts. The movie did leave a lot of questions unanswered but that is the beauty of movie.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2022, 06:39 PM »
Nothing.

As for the film: just release all the DELETED SCENES from the screenplay!!!!

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2022, 08:33 PM »
;D never enough time. You are right about the deleted garage scene. I have forgotten about it. Like you, I want them to have a sweet life. I guess if they did, the movie probably would not have had strong impacts. The movie did leave a lot of questions unanswered but that is the beauty of movie.

I absolutely agree with that. As much as I consumed countless fanfics back in the day, I never wanted the SS/movie to change. Those were simply a respite from the sometimes painful reality of BBM. The unanswered questions led us here where we had many great and insightful discussions. For some of us in exploring this story we explored ourselves and it helped to strengthen and heal us to varying degrees. This is not just a movie/story, it's something real, palpable; in an odd way there is beauty in the tragedy, if that makes sense.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2022, 10:28 PM »
I absolutely agree with that. As much as I consumed countless fanfics back in the day, I never wanted the SS/movie to change. Those were simply a respite from the sometimes painful reality of BBM. The unanswered questions led us here where we had many great and insightful discussions. For some of us in exploring this story we explored ourselves and it helped to strengthen and heal us to varying degrees. This is not just a movie/story, it's something real, palpable; in an odd way there is beauty in the tragedy, if that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense. Very well expressed.  :)

For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline @loki6783

• Cassie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2022, 05:02 AM »
Hi all  :h},
I am new here. Thanks for this beautiful opportunity to speak about this great movie. I wish I had discovered it many years ago.
Anyway… I would rewrite the final part. *Brace yourself, cause I’m pretty angsty. Also, be kind, English is not my mother language*
What if Jack does not die. He gets his sweet life… With Randall.
Jack answers to last Ennis postcard saying he cannot be there in November. He also adds that he divorced from Laureen and he’s moving elsewhere. Without saying where. So, Ennis…Waits. And waits. And months pass and there is no news from Jack. Then he phones Laureen, but she is not exactly happy to hear from him: Jack confessed everything about Ennis and him and asked for divorce, so she is not “friendly with Ennis”. Maybe she gets angry or cries how much he hates them both. But she also says that…She hates Randall way more than Ennis because he took Jack away.
Ennis learns that Jack has someone else and firstly he accepts it. A year passes. It is deep and painful. He tries to get comfort in the idea that Jack is happy. However, the idea that he is living with another man gets him jealous and possessive. He fights back this feeling convincing himself that he only needs to make sure that Jack is alright, that he is not taking stupid risks with his new life choices.
So… he goes to Lighting Flat to investigate where Jack has moved. Jack’s parents’ scene is almost the same as the original script. But they are not sad(mother)/angry(father) because Jack died…They are sad/angry because Jack has moved far away from them, to live his life with another man. They tell him exactly where he moved to (maybe Canada, maybe Mexico, far anyway…). John Twist cannot accept it. He provokes Ennis and has the same hateful attitude. Jack’s mother’s, however, sees how much Ennis is suffering and she knew about him. She knew he was Jack’s lover, and she remembers his hopes, his suffering, his affection for Ennis Del Mar. She gives him the shirts as in the original script.
Ennis goes home and he reverses and hugs the two shirts, discovering how deep Jack love was. He understands he failed at reciprocating, he failed in sensitivity, he failed in pursuing happiness together. So, he only wants to tell Jack he is sorry. He saves some money and drives to the place where Jack had moved to. He asks everyone for finding the exact address of Jack and goes there.
Only Randall is home. He seems kind. He opens the door and implicitly, even before Ennis speaks out his name, he knows who he is. The man who disappointed Jack for 20 years and broke his hearts. He lets him in. The house is nice, clean, and welcoming. They have a little farm. He says Jack is not there cause he has taken their dog to the vet. He makes Ennis some coffee. Ennis almost does not speak. It is like he has lost the courage: while driving, he imagined saying to Randall to f*** off cause Jack is his, cause they love each other. But now, in that house, it seems impossible. He asks how Jack is doing. And Randall tells him that Jack is alright and safe.
Ennis: “Did he ever tell you about Brokeback Mountain?”.
Randall: “We have been there last summer”.
Ennis: “It was…our place, you know?”.
Randall: “Yes, I know.” He breaths “Jack loved you so much. It was difficult for him.”
They are both so awkward. It is embarrassing.
Ennis drinks his coffee, thanks Randall and heads for the door. He turns only to say: “Could you tell Jack that I swear to him…” and Randall is like “What?” and Ennis shakes his head and mumbles “Nothing”.
He goes home and cries in front of the shirts in the closet.

The End

Jack!team :cr) Ennis!team  ~)