Author Topic: Losing to an AWFUL Movie like CRASH...  (Read 47404 times)

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
Re: Losing to an AWFUL Movie like CRASH...
« Reply #60 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:43 PM »
There are many reasons people voted for CRASH---- it is a good movie ,well acted but i don't feel especially original.

The Academy has many factions--- genuine CRASH  fans, people stirred by it's subject matter and lovers of particular performances in it.

But sadly it also appears to have had a % of anti- bbm advocates . Ii live in the uk and there was a  film prog on fri where an academy member explained how they and some friends  would vote tactically to stop a certain movie winning.They would vote for the competition not because they liked it but to stop  the other movie . No mention of either movie's  name  was made --- but i felt heart sick then. 

This could be a total aberration  and may account for a few votes only ,but i felt sad that it is possible bbm lost out not to a movie some people thought was better --- but simply one that didn't offend them in  some way.

By all means let the "best" movie win,even if I don't agree with it , but surely people should vote honestly for what they truly think is best.

I'm sure this is just my paranoia --- and i know all the best picture nominees would have wanted a fair and open competition.

The magic of bbm remains unchanged for me.

It was the BBc that broke the story of voting irregularities in our presidentioa elections WAY BEFORE any American news agencies got wind of anything going o.

Keep up the good work BBC.
RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

JerBear418720

« Reply #61 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:51 PM »
Ethan, True.

To me, Trash represents what's wrong with our country and the way they think. Let's tell everyone their not a bigot, let's make them 'feel good'. Let's not DO THE RIGHT THING and examine society...that would be asking a little much in this god forsaken wasteland.

LOL@Trash!  Cmon, CC, everybody knows it was called Crash and Burn!

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #62 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:59 PM »
Trash or Crap as it's now commonly called, will go down in the annals of history as the next "How Friggin' Green Was My Valley"...but guess what the next Citizen Kane has arrived...staying power of
BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
You were goin' up there to go fishin'....NO SHIT! GIMME SEX!

Offline chrissy323

• Alma
« Reply #63 on: Mar 06, 2006, 08:59 PM »
I just read on some other site a quote by actor Tony  Curtis that he refused to see BrokeBack Mountain and voted against it which is a clear violation of Academy rules. And if I'm not mistaken, and possibly some of you older fellows like me can back me up, Tony was known as quite a swinger in his younger days.  How dare he!

Yes he was - not that I'm OLD - but isn't this the same guy who spent a whole movie pretending to be a woman (Some Like It Hot)  :-)
"No More Beans"

"Beans 'bout all we got left"

"We got to do somethin' 'bout this food situation. Maybe I'll shoot one of the sheep"

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em"

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #64 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:04 PM »
Yeah and he's real egomaniac....Natalie Wood couldn't stand him. Tony Curtis had the looks, a great actor, doubtful.

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
« Reply #65 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:05 PM »
Trash! WOW! couldn't think of a better name! they chose the worst movie to win.. that was the surprise!
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline Cowboy Cody

• Jack + Ennis
  • Here I IS!
« Reply #66 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:18 PM »
Drinkswhiskeywithwater....I couldn't agree more Darlin'!

Offline tireiron

• Lureen
« Reply #67 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:39 PM »
> ... they chose the worst movie to win.. that was the surprise!

Hey, I hadn't even thought of that; there were three other outrages,too:

Capote lost to Crash!

Good Night and Good Luck lost to Crash!

Munich lost to Crash!

This would be funny if it wasn't so profoundly wrong.

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #68 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:40 PM »
There were a lot of rumors going around that Crash was doing some serious campaigning, which is against Academy rules. Purportedly there were informal cocktail parties and dinner parties being held in LA to convince Academy members to vote for Crash.  Just rumors, but usually where there is smoke...    Crash had a huge ensemble cast as I mentioned before and friends vote for friends and remember we don't have a vote.

The credibility of the Academy has hit rock bottom with me and I won't get suckered into the whole "Oscars" thing again.   The Academy is all hype because they make their $50 million from the awards ceremony which keeps AMPAS in business.  Yet their viewership for the Awards show continues to go down. 

They could do one thing that could help restore some credibility and that is to get rid of all of the secrecy about the vote counting.  Vote totals should be available to everyone and not locked in a vault somewhere.  How many votes nominees received are not national security secrets.  Their whole voting process has all the elements of "smoke filled rooms" and a "star chamber".   It's archaic!

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2006, 11:58 AM by hidesert »

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #69 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:47 PM »

There were a lot of rumors going around that Crash was doing some serious campaigning, which is against Academy rules. Purportedly there were informal cocktail parties and dinner parties being held in LA to convince Academy members to vote for Crash.  Just rumors, but usually where there is smoke...    Crash had a huge ensemble cast as I mentioned before and friends vote for friends and remember we don't have a vote.

The credibility of the Academy has hit rock bottom with me and I won't get suckered into the whole "Oscars" thing again.   The Academy is all hype because they make their $50 million from the awards ceremony which keeps AMPAS in business.  Yet their viewership for the Awards show continues to go down. 

They could do one thing that could help restore some credibility and that is to get rid of all of the secrecy about the vote counting.  Vote totals should available to everyone and not locked in a vault somewhere.  How many votes nominees received are not national security secrets.  Their whole voting process has all the elements of "smoke filled rooms" and star chambers.   It's archaic!

does not surprise me did you notice the shit where Jon Stewart makes fun of TV ads?  Where there is smoke there probably truth.
RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #70 on: Mar 07, 2006, 12:29 AM »

They could do one thing that could help restore some credibility and that is to get rid of all of the secrecy about the vote counting.  Vote totals should available to everyone and not locked in a vault somewhere.  How many votes nominees received are not national security secrets.  Their whole voting process has all the elements of "smoke filled rooms" and star chambers.   It's archaic!

The Academy has totally lost their credibility as far as I'm concerned.  My husband and I are both totally incensed and agree that this was it.  No more Oscar shows for this family, and I've watched the Academy Awards for over 30 years.  We'll watch the Golden Globes instead.

camom

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #71 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:01 AM »
The new banner is up....

Oh...you little gold man. Sorry we got no place for you. We are full.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #72 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:10 AM »
remember Titanic has one.  That puts it into perspective for me.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #73 on: Mar 07, 2006, 01:14 AM »

True. But who cares?  ;D
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #74 on: Mar 07, 2006, 07:30 AM »

The Academy has totally lost their credibility as far as I'm concerned.  My husband and I are both totally incensed and agree that this was it.  No more Oscar shows for this family, and I've watched the Academy Awards for over 30 years.  We'll watch the Golden Globes instead.

camom

Don't forget the BAFTAS..they are my new Oscars. The great thing about the resurrection of the Golden Globes is that members of the HFP actually see all the movies nominated and talk with the makers and astors, etc.  Also, I think there will be a new interest in all the Film Festival around the world. Venice (which hailed Brokeback first) has my interest.  One commentator said it best Monday...the Academy gives awards to who gets the most votes, not necessarily the Best Film!  Bye Academy!!
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline Aela

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #75 on: Mar 07, 2006, 08:15 AM »
I have nothing more to add, I just want to say how happy I am to be here with you all.  I've been ranting and raging about this since Sunday night, and no one really *gets* the outrage I feel.  I'm glad this place exists.
 :-\
"I was probably no fun anyways, was I?"
--Ennis

Offline Italian_Dude

• Jack + Ennis
  • Love is Never Wrong
« Reply #76 on: Mar 07, 2006, 10:24 AM »
The Academy is a joke like you said.

They do not award the "Best Film"

It is like when you're in highschool, its basically a popularity conest. It's all about politics and friends vote for friends and people dont follow the rules. Crash winning was like the funniest thing on earth because it is not a good film. BBM was clearly the best film.

Thats just how it works. I know how unfair it is but It's only fitting that the Academy-trailer-trash voters, would give it to their own kind, TRASH.

You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #77 on: Mar 07, 2006, 11:36 AM »

True. But who cares?  ;D

Exactly!  ;)  I got so bored with Titanic I had to use the fast forward button.  Hee hee

Offline lovelydays

• Cassie
« Reply #78 on: Mar 07, 2006, 12:19 PM »
I like "Crash", I enjoyed the movie. But...it's nothing compared to Brokeback Mountain. They picked "Crash" over some amazing movies, not just BBM. Hell, they picked "Crash" over "Walk the Line." What's up with that?

I heard Lionsgate handed out DVDs to memebers of the Academy. Isn't that wrong in a rule book somewhere.

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
« Reply #79 on: Mar 07, 2006, 12:30 PM »
I like "Crash", I enjoyed the movie. But...it's nothing compared to Brokeback Mountain. They picked "Crash" over some amazing movies, not just BBM. Hell, they picked "Crash" over "Walk the Line." What's up with that?

I heard Lionsgate handed out DVDs to memebers of the Academy. Isn't that wrong in a rule book somewhere.

they picked the worst moviel to win Best Picture and just so u know.. BBM is above them all!!
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline manila_rocks

• Lureen
« Reply #80 on: Mar 07, 2006, 03:23 PM »
The Bafta's are a much more neutral organization in the case of BBM vs. Crash.

Crash had a huge cast of well known actors and tech staff.   Each of them well connected in the Academy's voting bloc.   It was probably hard for them to be neutral when friends and family were at hand.

I think I will consider the BAFTA's the true voice of 2005 movies in the world..

Offline camom

• Alma
« Reply #81 on: Mar 07, 2006, 05:04 PM »
I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but what are the BAFTAS?  I don't know that one!   :-\

If it makes anyone feel any better, both my kids love the soundtrack and go around singing "King of the Road" and "Devil's Right Hand."  Makes me feel better, anyway.  And when the DVD comes out, my 14 year old is going to see a somewhat censored version.  I'm seriously considering letting my 9 year old see it as well--and I'm very conservative about what I let my kids watch.  This is just too important, IMO.

camom

aimi15

« Reply #82 on: Mar 07, 2006, 05:07 PM »
I'm sorry to be so ignorant, but what are the BAFTAS?  I don't know that one!   :-\

If it makes anyone feel any better, both my kids love the soundtrack and go around singing "King of the Road" and "Devil's Right Hand."  Makes me feel better, anyway.  And when the DVD comes out, my 14 year old is going to see a somewhat censored version.  I'm seriously considering letting my 9 year old see it as well--and I'm very conservative about what I let my kids watch.  This is just too important, IMO.

camom
British Oscars my dear...this year i can say i am a very proud Brit - Oscars suck  >:(

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #83 on: Mar 07, 2006, 05:41 PM »

camom
British Oscars my dear...this year i can say i am a very proud Brit - Oscars suck  >:(

I would tend to agree.  I think we Americans just think we are so special.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline tireiron

• Lureen
« Reply #84 on: Mar 07, 2006, 05:43 PM »
> And when the DVD comes out, my 14 year old is going to see a somewhat censored version.

Having never had children I'm no expert on parenting, but why?  There's nothing in
Brokeback that would shock a 14 year old, is there?  Considering the garbage that most
14 year olds have been subjected to, I would think an uncensored Brokeback would
be just the thing to demonstrate to a 14 year old how senstitve subjects can be
handled well.

aimi15

« Reply #85 on: Mar 07, 2006, 05:46 PM »

camom

I would tend to agree.  I think we Americans just think we are so special.
Brits guilty of that also - this is just my biased opinion 'cos i was so let down. I would have loved to have said Oscars rule!

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #86 on: Mar 07, 2006, 05:53 PM »
> And when the DVD comes out, my 14 year old is going to see a somewhat censored version.

Having never had children I'm no expert on parenting, but why?  There's nothing in
Brokeback that would shock a 14 year old, is there?  Considering the garbage that most
14 year olds have been subjected to, I would think an uncensored Brokeback would
be just the thing to demonstrate to a 14 year old how senstitve subjects can be
handled well.

Ah I would censor myself, I think we know where.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline tireiron

• Lureen
« Reply #87 on: Mar 07, 2006, 06:00 PM »
> Ah I would censor myself, I think we know where.

At what age would you not censor?

All this assumes that a parent could actually censor this movie, which i think
is doubtful.  This movie is so famous, and the DVD will be so prevalent, that
I don't think any child old enough to get on a computer or out of the
house unsupervized can be prevented from seeing all of it.

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #88 on: Mar 07, 2006, 06:09 PM »

If it makes anyone feel any better, both my kids love the soundtrack and go around singing "King of the Road" and "Devil's Right Hand."  Makes me feel better, anyway.  And when the DVD comes out, my 14 year old is going to see a somewhat censored version.  I'm seriously considering letting my 9 year old see it as well--and I'm very conservative about what I let my kids watch.  This is just too important, IMO.  camom

You should be very proud Aimi to be British, the BAFTAs got it right.  Jake should be very proud of his BAFTA award, it is better than an Oscar. 

JerBear418720

« Reply #89 on: Mar 07, 2006, 06:15 PM »
> Ah I would censor myself, I think we know where.

At what age would you not censor?

All this assumes that a parent could actually censor this movie, which i think
is doubtful.  This movie is so famous, and the DVD will be so prevalent, that
I don't think any child old enough to get on a computer or out of the
house unsupervized can be prevented from seeing all of it.

Call me old fashioned, but I dont think anybody under 16 or 17 should see BBM.  It is an adult film.  I can't imagine exposing, say, a 12yo to complex sexual content, nudity, intense relationship conflict on many levels, and, excuse me, but how many times do they say "F***"?  BBM is a masterpiece, but it is not for kids.