Author Topic: Annie's Web Page  (Read 9919 times)

Offline Allan

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 75
  • Gender: Male
Annie's Web Page
« on: Mar 15, 2006, 07:36 PM »
The forum section has been remove from Annie Proulx's web page.  There was some fine thinking that went on there... and I'm sad to see it go... but I'm not surprised.  Most of you, I'm sure, have read Annie's piece on the Academy Awards ceremony... she refered to it herself as a "sour grapes" piece.  There were actually a number of who went onto her forum... the forum of one of America's greatest writers (living or dead)... to criticize her for her opinions.  There was also a guy who theorized that Jack had faked his death and wouldn't shut up about it.  Whatever the reason, the loss of our ability to at least approximate communicating with Annie is a sad loss... sad indeed.  Allan

Offline ethan

  • Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 11247
  • Country: us
  • Gender: Male
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2006, 08:27 PM »
It is posted in the news of her website

news

03/15/06: forum down

The site will be changing over the next couple of months as we move to a new host and upgrade our software. I appreciate your patience.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Allan

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 75
  • Gender: Male
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2006, 08:33 PM »
Thanks, Ethan... I checked the news section earlier today and it hadn't been posted yet.  Maybe there's hope.  Allan

Offline ethan

  • Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 11247
  • Country: us
  • Gender: Male
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2006, 08:39 PM »
Thanks, Ethan... I checked the news section earlier today and it hadn't been posted yet.  Maybe there's hope.  Allan

You are welcome. Let's hope that it is really the upgrade of software not because of what you described.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Troy

  • Lureen
  • ***
  • Posts: 132
  • Gender: Male
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2006, 10:09 PM »
me too. That was the first forum I went to after the movie. I think it's where I found out about this forum. I've been meaning to go back to it. If I remember correctly, a lot of good thinkers on it, people very serious about the story.

Offline Troy

  • Lureen
  • ***
  • Posts: 132
  • Gender: Male
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2006, 07:31 PM »
  Whatever the reason, the loss of our ability to at least approximate communicating with Annie is a sad loss... sad indeed.  Allan

Maybe I'm just overly cynical, but I wonder if any of these celebrities ever read anything on their forums (Ethan excepted of course). Rosie ODonnell has one, hundreds of people spilling their guts to her everyday, she posts pictures but never comments on any posts. Who has the time? These sites also all have links to selling merchandise.  Just once, I'd like to see a celebrity post one line in a forum. Everyone would go nuts!

Offline rod1960

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 72
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2006, 09:46 PM »
The forum disappeared just a few days after the article she wrote appeared.  I just assumed it was from lots of negative things being posted on the forum.

Offline Troy

  • Lureen
  • ***
  • Posts: 132
  • Gender: Male
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2006, 12:56 AM »
The forum disappeared just a few days after the article she wrote appeared.  I just assumed it was from lots of negative things being posted on the forum.

I agreed with Annie's article completely. The Academy Awards are little but a fashion show for people who are "too poor" to afford enough cloth to completely cover their breasts, as Jon Stewart put it.

Offline frenchcda

  • Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1020
  • Gender: Male
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2006, 01:28 AM »
it is so sad to have Mme Annie Proulx website forum dissapeared, it sure shows that they are still too many right wing and narrow minded individuals that have too much time on theirs hands other than to destroy the credibility of a wonderfull writer such as her, by vilifying her like hypocrites. :'(
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing


              My wounds are deeper than your desires

                      www.wordsofpeace.com

Offline ethan

  • Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 11247
  • Country: us
  • Gender: Male
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2006, 02:01 AM »
It is posted in the news of her website

news

03/15/06: forum down

The site will be changing over the next couple of months as we move to a new host and upgrade our software. I appreciate your patience.


This statement is posted at her website. Let's not speculate other reasons. Thank you.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline TJ

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 209
  • Gender: Male
  • TJ's real name is Joe Allen Doty
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2006, 06:06 PM »
I think that the only person who is affiliated with the Annie Proulx.com forum is Morgan.
I seriously doubt that Ms. Proulx even read what as posted. Morgan seems to be the webmaster for the website.
(Ennis) is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream . . . lets a panel of the dream slide forward . . . it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Offline Toadily

  • Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 2777
  • Gender: Female
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2006, 06:20 PM »
That's weird though that it would go down like that.  I mean she is more popular than ever.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline Troy

  • Lureen
  • ***
  • Posts: 132
  • Gender: Male
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2006, 09:28 PM »
I think that the only person who is affiliated with the Annie Proulx.com forum is Morgan.
I seriously doubt that Ms. Proulx even read what as posted. Morgan seems to be the webmaster for the website.

Do you think Morgan is mostly independent or acting on her behalf? Would he be reporting stuff from the forum to Annie or getting any input from her how to manage it? My uneducated guess is that before the movie, she may have gotten a bit of feedback from him, but since the movie the volume would be too great.

Offline *Froggy*

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 10977
  • Gender: Female
  • No longer using this account: frog123
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2006, 01:55 PM »
I've sent an email to Morgan..let's wait and see x
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!


If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline Jack_ME

  • My philosophy
  • Lureen
  • ***
  • Posts: 152
  • Gender: Male
  • Jack in Maine
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #14 on: Mar 29, 2006, 10:20 AM »
I think that the only person who is affiliated with the Annie Proulx.com forum is Morgan.
I seriously doubt that Ms. Proulx even read what as posted. Morgan seems to be the webmaster for the website.

Do you think Morgan is mostly independent or acting on her behalf? Would he be reporting stuff from the forum to Annie or getting any input from her how to manage it? My uneducated guess is that before the movie, she may have gotten a bit of feedback from him, but since the movie the volume would be too great.

Regarding Annie Proulx's website/forum and Morgan:
I had a question in to that forum....bumped it several times....posted it in different formats.....sent PM's directly to Morgan....also sent emails directly to Morgan.......I did feel I had waited patiently for a reply from an active forum with an avowed moderator.....but it took a long time to get an answer....finally did get a reply posted on the forum.....with a comment about needing to realize that the moderator was busy and didn't have time to answer questions! (then they need a new moderator I'd say....) In any case, that reply to my question was pretty much one of the last posts period. Then the board came down!  (do have to confess I felt guilty for a minute when I saw that....wondered if I HAD hounded them......NO....didn't.)

Anyway, Annie Proulx has 4 children (I believe just 4) and one of her sons is named Morgan. So although some at that forum assumed Morgan was a female, I think it's likely it was her son, no? Or it's a coincidence of names.

I'm sure that Annie Proulx, while flattered and no doubt aware of how BBM the movie has enhanced her renown, is really not so interested in hearing about or discussing the film. She is after all a writer. The tone of the forum there, did strongly encourage the film lovers to go/come here to ennisjack.com. It is the Annie Proulx website and forum, and it had turned into the BBM Film forum.....so likely (to me) they just decided to close down that forum until this huge burst of enthusiasm for the film has died off somewhat, and those who want to comment and discuss her writings...all of them....can again have their forum back. All just my theorizing based on my observations of content and attitude there.

We'll have to check back there in.....June or later......'cuz I doubt it's coming back any too soon!

Jack in Maine


By the way, the question I had there concerned getting the definitive answer to the confusing "italicized text" pro/epi-logue and how that turns the story into a sort of "flashback", and when was that portion written, since it did NOT appear in the first publication of the BBM story in the Oct 13, 1997 issue of The New Yorker, yet appeared in the collected short stories and everywhere else afterward. Some rumours had it that she had written that after the film talks, to quell any possibility of sequels, or some such theory. When I finally got the definitive answer from Morgan it was this:
Italicized text pro/epi-logue WAS part of the original story and WAS submitted to The New Yorker. The New Yorker editor, for some unknown reason...space constraints and/or story flow there....opted to edit it out.



MY PHILOSOPHY DISCLAIMER: All my comments concern the MOVIE and the content and inferences obtained there. All interpretations, projections, speculations, and opinions about plot and characters are based SOLELY on the content of the movie. They can not be argued or debated by quoting the printed short story. A comparison of the two media is an interesting discussion but must be a separate discussion.

Offline Troy

  • Lureen
  • ***
  • Posts: 132
  • Gender: Male
Re: Annie's Web Page
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2006, 05:21 AM »

Italicized text pro/epi-logue WAS part of the original story and WAS submitted to The New Yorker. The New Yorker editor, for some unknown reason...space constraints and/or story flow there....opted to edit it out.[/color]


I remember reading that. There was a long discussion about it by a lot of people speculating, then that line suddenly appeared at the very end.