Author Topic: Anyone listen to Charlie Haden and Pat Matheny's "Spiritual"?  (Read 12623 times)

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
  • " You know I ain't queer!"
This is the music that Ms. Proulx says she listened to repeatedly when working on the difficult paragraph depicting Jack's "flashback", and says that to this day she cannot hear it without Ennis and Jack coming back to haunt her again. Upon hearing it, my first reaction was muted, but later I kept hearing it in my head, so it has that eerie parallel with the movie. Later I saw that it was written by Josh Haden, Charlie's son, and had lyrics-their version is instrumental as is the whole album-and when I saw the lyrics, OMG, major PBS! All I could think of was Jack's last moments on this earth.  :'( :'( :'(  Definitely recommended for hard-core Brokies though.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2006, 10:13 AM by proulxfan »
Jack: " Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar."

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Anyone listen to Charlie Haden and Pat Matheny's "Spiritual"?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2006, 11:19 AM »
Yes, a friend who loved this scene did not like 'Spiritual'.  My initial reaction was also muted, BUT I AGREE PERFECTLY with you that there IS A PARALLEL with the scene.  It is hard to explain.  You have to listen to it many times...

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2006, 11:43 AM »
Yes, a friend who loved this scene did not like 'Spiritual'.  My initial reaction was also muted, BUT I AGREE PERFECTLY with you that there IS A PARALLEL with the scene.  It is hard to explain.  You have to listen to it many times...

Agreed, it gets better with repeated listening. I love the dotted notes on guitar and cymbal, as if the music (and the memory?) is travelling across a vast span of space and/or time. Yup, now I got another thing to make me bawl; just what I needed!

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2006, 11:56 AM »
Agreed, it gets better with repeated listening. I love the dotted notes on guitar and cymbal, as if the music (and the memory?) is travelling across a vast span of space and/or time. Yup, now I got another thing to make me bawl; just what I needed!

Yes, you DO get the feeling of the traversing a vast span.   Again, hard to describe to someone who has not yet heard it.

proulxfan, don't think I'm strange.  I listened to this (the last track in the CD, correct?) many times while reading the passage over and over again. 

I even tried to write the passage on my own just to try to see how it felt like.

I know, I can be a bit obsessed...

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2006, 12:23 PM »
tpe,

Yep, that's the track. And what position am I in to be judgemental about anyone else's obsession(s)??  I'm curious, how did it feel?
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2006, 12:25 PM by proulxfan »

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2006, 12:27 PM »
tpe,

What position am I in to be judgemental about anyone else's obsession(s)?? And I'm curious, how did it feel?

It felt like you were Ennis and Jack in the flashback scene.  The effect is quite different with the Santaolalla score.  The latter was more intense and very moving (it brings tears to your eyes).  The former was so peaceful and contented (it makes you smile with them).

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2006, 12:51 PM »
Interesting, as I have had both reactions while listening to that music, sometimes beautifully relaxed and blissful, other times, like I said, bawling like a baby. And did you ever connect the printed lyrics to Jack's death? Just wondering. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but his mom was a Pentecostal, and he might have said these words in his heart at the end. When I got that image, that's when I broke down.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2006, 12:52 PM by proulxfan »

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2006, 01:11 PM »
Interesting, as I have had both reactions while listening to that music, sometimes beautifully relaxed and blissful, other times, like I said, bawling like a baby. And did you ever connect the printed lyrics to Jack's death? Just wondering. I know it's a bit of a stretch, but his mom was a Pentecostal, and he might have said these words in his heart at the end. When I got that image, that's when I broke down.

proulxfan, the above comments moved me quite a lot.  I have not really thought about it this way.  That is certainly enough to make me cry...

That is quite a moving viewpoint, I must say.

Offline frances

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2006, 03:30 AM »
The most difficult scene was the paragraph where, on the mountain, Ennis holds Jack and rocks back and forth, humming, the moment mixed with childhood loss and his refusal to admit he was holding a man. This paragraph took forever to get right, and I played Charlie Haden's and Pat Metheny's Spiritual, from their album Beyond the Missouri Sky (short stories) uncountable times, trying to get the words. I was trying to write the inchoate feelings of Jack and Ennis, the sad impossibility of their liaison, which for me was expressed in that music. To this day, I cannot hear that track without Jack and Ennis appearing before me.

Annie Proulx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi6i8bfwV-w&search=brokeback%20mountain

My candle burns at both ends / It will not last the night / But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends / It gives a lovely light (Edna St. Vincent Millay)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2006, 12:22 PM »
The most difficult scene was the paragraph where, on the mountain, Ennis holds Jack and rocks back and forth, humming, the moment mixed with childhood loss and his refusal to admit he was holding a man. This paragraph took forever to get right, and I played Charlie Haden's and Pat Metheny's Spiritual, from their album Beyond the Missouri Sky (short stories) uncountable times, trying to get the words. I was trying to write the inchoate feelings of Jack and Ennis, the sad impossibility of their liaison, which for me was expressed in that music. To this day, I cannot hear that track without Jack and Ennis appearing before me.[/u][/b]

Annie Proulx.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi6i8bfwV-w&search=brokeback%20mountain

She is writing wordless poetry here. 

Thanks frances.

Offline glacier1

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 17, 2006, 09:33 PM »
Later I saw that it was written by Josh Haden, Charlie's son, and had lyrics-their version is instrumental as is the whole album-and when I saw the lyrics, OMG, major PBS! All I could think of was Jack's last moments on this earth.

Here are the lyrics referenced above:

Jesus, I don't want to die alone
Jesus, oh Jesus, I don't want to die alone
My love wasn't true
Now all I have is you

Jesus, if you hear my last breath
Don't leave me here
Left to die a lonely death
I know I have sinned
But Lord I'm suffering
Jesus, oh Jesus, if you hear
My last breath.

All my troubles
All my pain
Will leave me
Once again
Once again

I realized that I, as a writer, was having the rarest film trip: my story was not mangled but enlarged into huge and gripping imagery that rattled minds and squeezed hearts.....Annie Proulx.

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
« Reply #11 on: Apr 18, 2006, 06:44 AM »
Thanks, Frances, for that wonderful link! That is quite beautifully done.
Thank you also, Glacier 1, for correcting my omission. As I said above the combination of the lyrics with the music had a powerful emotional impact for me, almost too much so, and I wasn't sure how they would come across in the absence of the music, but now with the addition of the link above, everyone here can have access to both.
PS: I also link the lyrics in my mind to the image of Matthew Shephard, alone, beaten and tied to that lonely Wyoming fence in the middle of nowhere... It's why I can't dwell on this music too long...
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2006, 07:12 AM by proulxfan »

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Apr 18, 2006, 07:54 AM »
Thanks, Frances, for that wonderful link! That is quite beautifully done.
Thank you also, Glacier 1, for correcting my omission. As I said above the combination of the lyrics with the music had a powerful emotional impact for me, almost too much so, and I wasn't sure how they would come across in the absence of the music, but now with the addition of the link above, everyone here can have access to both.
PS: I also link the lyrics in my mind to the image of Matthew Shephard, alone, beaten and tied to that lonely Wyoming fence in the middle of nowhere... It's why I can't dwell on this music too long...

I say thank to you all.

The lyrics do give a more forceful impact. 

proulxfan, your association of the lyrics with Matthew Shephard is powerful. 

Crucifixus...

Offline TwoSkins

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 18, 2006, 02:46 PM »
I am a Pat Metheny fan and I never realized that he had his hand in this creation! I read a few weeks ago the comment by AP with regard to the moment reflected by Jack of him and Ennis.
"Spiritual" is a great title for the piece but the lyrics to the piece are difficult to read through without shedding a tear or 2...
 :'(
BBM a Haunting Experience - the story, the screenplay the film..

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:20 PM »
An old thread but one worth revisiting. The connection here is so strong. I listen to “Spiritual” almost everyday just to hear Ennis’s watch -

They had stood that way for a long time in front of the fire, its burning tossing ruddy chunks of light, the shadow of their bodies a single column against the rock. The minutes ticked by from the round watch in Ennis's pocket, from the sticks in the fire settling into coals.  . . . .

You can hear Ennis’s watch in the music. Listen, and at about 1:22 into the song (or at about 15 sec into the YouTube video link) it comes in, can't miss it. You'll hear what Annie heard, what must have helped inspire her words here.

This video grabs me every time and every time I hear this music I see Ennis & Jack standing there holding on for dear life - as time ticks away.

we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline butlersfantasy

• Cassie
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 06:39 PM »
Hi
New here, first post.

This is Spiritual with the words from the story over the frames...talk about sad.  But very beautiful

Brokeback Mountain (flashback)

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 08:22 PM »
butlersfantasy, welcome and thanks so much for the video.

My heart aches just from watching it. "...Let be...let be."  :_(
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Mimi.la.mite

• Soul Brothers
  • Jack
  • The way you move is meant to haunt me.
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 07:37 AM »

Here are the lyrics referenced above:

Jesus, I don't want to die alone
My love wasn't true
Now all I have is you

Jesus, if you hear my last breath
Don't leave me here
Left to die a lonely death
I know I have sinned
But Lord I'm suffering
Jesus, oh Jesus, if you hear
My last breath.

All my troubles
All my pain
Will leave me
Once again
Once again

Poor Jack, alone when he died, and poor Ennis too in this song. But maybe Jack is waiting for him...
Do the one we love and are  gone before us, waiting for us in heaven? That scares me, will they be there or did they already leave somewhere else? Should I have gone with them immediately  rather than wait and be separated forever? I did not have the balls, too late now! Jesus is certainly really nice but he never answers. I still love him.
Thank to you all for song, lyric and videos.
I feel despondent, stuck in limbo between past and future where what I have is what I’ve lost. Bobby & Dave, no word is strong enough to say how much I miss you.

Offline myprivatejack

• Jack + Ennis
  • It could be like this,just like this...always
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Poor Jack, alone when he died, and poor Ennis too in this song. But maybe Jack is waiting for him...
Do the one we love and are  gone before us, waiting for us in heaven? That scares me, will they be there or did they already leave somewhere else? Should I have gone with them immediately  rather than wait and be separated forever? I did not have the balls, too late now! Jesus is certainly really nice but he never answers. I still love him.
Thank to you all for song, lyric and videos.

Maybe the answers are inside us and we must look for them ourselves...Anyhow,I love the way you have expressed it ¡.And I love the song too; very BBM and,for this same reason,very sad... :_(
Ennis’s eyes gone bright with shock, mouth opening then closing again. “Love?” Ennis said finally, voice strangling in his throat.

Jack smiled sad. “Yeah, Ennis. Love.” Leaned forward and kissed Ennis’s temple, whispered, “What’d you think it was, all this time?”
("If I asked")
                         ----------------
Heathcliff Andrew Ledger (1979-2008)/Rajel Karen Ashkenazi (1986-2008)
You will be forever in my heart,friends.

Offline Mimi.la.mite

• Soul Brothers
  • Jack
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 03:28 PM »
Anyhow,I love the way you have expressed it ¡.
Thank you! You know it's hard for me to express what is on my mind and what I'ld like to say. Not enough english words and I don't understand all subtlesties of the Brokies posts. So it's hard for me to share in all topics of this forum .
very BBM and,for this same reason,very sad... :_(
How a love story can becom a sad story? Spiritua
I feel despondent, stuck in limbo between past and future where what I have is what I’ve lost. Bobby & Dave, no word is strong enough to say how much I miss you.

Offline Mimi.la.mite

• Soul Brothers
  • Jack
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Sorry, I have touched a bad touch!
Spiritual means God and God means Love. And I'm angry that the humans who believe in God, let a love story be a sad story.  ^*)

Thank you MPJ to understand what I mean.  :^^) ^f^