Author Topic: Your Thoughts & Reactions from Academy Awards  (Read 82759 times)

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
Re: Your Thoughts & Reactions from Academy Awards
« Reply #60 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:21 AM »
Can I say one thing too:

Clooney made an eloquent point about yes Hollywood is out of touch but in a good way, for
instance they gave Hattie McDaniels (I think that is her name) an Oscar when blacks were still
sent to the back of the bus..well they gave it to her for playing a ditzy slave.  Denzel got his Oscar for
playing a pimp.  In other words, they are progressive in their own way.  Altman was badly treated
by Hollywood.  A lot of people felt he should tell them to shove his honorary award. 

Anyways, I think this nod to Crash is all about them, an "aren't I speciaL" award.
I read someones post about Nicholson's reaction to the Crash win, how he looked shocked.
It clearly was not the best picture.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline meandennis

• Lureen
« Reply #61 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:21 AM »
Like so many of you, I am disappointed with the travesty that took place last evening at the Oscars. Let me share with you how I am dealing with this as I think it might help to put all of this into perspective. Rather than go directly to the board and post my anger and disgust after the awards, I instead poured a glass of wine and got into bed and proceeded to do a crossword puzzle. I fell asleep soon after, got up at 7AM, and went to the gym and did an hour workout listening to Gustavo's award- winning score. I came home, made a pot of chicken soup, and then decided I had cooled off enough and that it was time to do a post. Here it is:
The following headlines were in yesterday's Boston Globe:
US Freeze on Hamas Aid Carries Humanitarian Price
Flu Fears Spur Research Into Virus Killers
Bishops'  Ban To Exclude Gay Adoption Through Catholic Social Services Will Cost Church Millions
Explosive Devices In Iraq Evolve to Become Greater Threat
EU Reject Iranian Nuclear Offer
Bush, Musharraf Renew Alliance In War On Terror
And so on and so on....

I am hurt like all of you by this slap in the face from Hollywood, but please put this into proper perspective as to what is going on the world today.
It is time to move on. Heath and Michelle, Ang, and Jake have put this movie behind them as they move on with their careers and lives. We need to do the same. We have been touched, and our lives will never be the same, and we should be happy for that. It was a good ride while it lasted, and if we keep the spirit of this movie alive in our hearts, we will be better for it and the world will become better for it. I hurt, I ache, and I cry, but I need to move on, we all do. My hugs to all of you!

Here are a few of my observations on last night:

Let's celebrate the awards given to Ang Lee, Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, and Gustavo Santaolalla, for they are truly deserving.
Heath and Michelle were the most attractive couple on the red carpet. Michelle's dress was the most beautiful of all.
Ang Lee's acceptance speech was classy and moving, he is a truly humble and caring person.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman gave a wonderful speech and mentioned how proud he was to be in the company of such wonderful actors.
George Clooney was his usual lovable, intelligent, and humble self, and we should be happy for him.
This Oscar show was without a doubt the worst ever, and was a complete bore and failure. Hollywood should be ashamed and we should be happy!
John Stewart should not give up his day job.
The nominated songs were terrible and the winning song was complete agony. Is this the best they can do?
The most unattractive couple was Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. Any movie starring Bullock has to suck, and isnt it time Reeves came out of the closet?

May peace and happiness be with all of you.

meandennis

It's because of you Jack that I'm like this.

cara1158

« Reply #62 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:27 AM »
meandennis -- well said! 

cara1158

« Reply #63 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:33 AM »
on a more positive note:  the DVD will be out quicker now!   ;D  can't wait!

Cara
trying to stay on the bright side of an 'unsatisfactory situation'

Offline meandennis

• Lureen
« Reply #64 on: Mar 06, 2006, 11:46 AM »
Good luck Cara, I love the quote.

meandennis
It's because of you Jack that I'm like this.

Offline BADBRAD

• Love is a force of nature.
  • Alma Jr.
« Reply #65 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:15 PM »
I call for a boycott of the Oscars next year; instead I am going to watch BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN on DVD.
“You know it could be like this, just like this, always.”

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #66 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:39 PM »

Did any other movie get so many oscars?

The world thinks Brokeback Mountain was the best film, and the US ranked it in its top 5.  You CAN have a best director and not win best picture if the acting or other technical aspects don't quite match the genius of the Director.  I think Brokeback got a fair run,
and winning an oscor doesn't suddenly make the world a less homophobic place.  Fact is, it's the biggest grossing of all those nominated movies, and is destined to do great business on dvd because of the emotional bond it has found within so many who have seen it at the cinema.  None of those other movies are going to do the business of Brokeback.  And the Annie Proulx story and the soundtrack will be selling quite well I'm sure.  Brokeback will be a quiet revolution, it will dissipate into the culture and creep into into places where the bigots least expect it.  Decades from now it will be better known than Crash or Capote or Walk The Line.  Quite simply it is an iconic film which won't go away.  The little gay cowboy movie that could.  Not everything has to be a blockbuster or a "Best Picture" to endure.
Brokeback Mountain will go to dvd with "Best Director" "Best Original Soundtrack" and "Best Screenplay Adaption" on the cover. Three statuettes.  Three.  A pretty resounding endorsement from Hollywood if you ask me. 

Very well said friend! I applaud you and everyone here.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #67 on: Mar 06, 2006, 01:41 PM »
Sorry, I double posted it-- I think it belongs here-
This article saying just what we think in the LA Times as well as the photo of Michelle and Heath will really uplift you and me
enjoy
http://theenvelope.latimes.com/awards/oscars/env-turan5mar05,0,5359042.story

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/galleries/photo/redcarpet/env-oscarredcarpetmar05-pg,0,6140195.photogallery

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #68 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:02 PM »
Let's take some comfort in knowing that Crash will be remembered as the suck movie that the homophobes in Hollywood used to defeat Brokeback Mountain.  Crash will NEVER stand up as a good movie on it's merits - it will just be known as the spoiler.  Remember when Shakespere in love defeated Saving Private Ryan...i think that important Hollywood types should somehow split up AMPAS and take the progressive liberal folk with vision as far away from the old fogie fartheads that did this. AMPAS has lost it's mind=and no one will watch the Oscars next year.  What a joke they have become.  As far as Crash it will be embroiled in law suits - the producers are suing....it is a loser and a spoiler and will become the movie no one remembers=be sure to read my links farther down to page.
karin  P.S.  i made an appointment with a psychologist today...I cannot stop crying and I really need to find out how to get a life again.  A real life.  I want to live out the rest of my days happy and productive and unselfishly--right now I am filled with sadness , anger and bitterness and just perplexed at the state of the world and its leaders.  xxoo

Offline Hurleycook

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #69 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:03 PM »
Italian guy wrote:

Everyone knows Brokeback Mountain deserved to win Best Picture because it was the BEST PICTURE OF THE YEAR. It is a groundbreaking film and it shames me that the Academy did not recognize it as Best Picture

and I agree, it is groundbreaking, monumentally so, so much that it went right over their heads - regarding Crash, give me a break, a movie about racism?? and bad cops?? in LA is groundbreaking?? what a bunch of total unadulterated bull ..... somebody should check for hanging chads or something .... what really really galls me is the truly small, childish, sophomoric, impertinence of things like the Gay western theme clips with ad libs from Stewart - what is WRONG with these people?  Are they trully as passive/aggressive,  homophobic, contemptuous and fearful of what it trully means to be homosexual that they can't even talk about it in a dignified way - Jon Stewart makes me sick and Susan Bullock, she is on the shit list for sure.  On the carpet, she tried to drum up "Crash" by dismissing the other films as only about one group or one person .... clearly, she doesn't know her ass from a whole in the ground.

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #70 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:04 PM »
Talk of fans buying a respectful ad in Variety concerning BBM....

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=1626.165;topicseen
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline rabjr1

• Ennis
« Reply #71 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:07 PM »
I don't know what the dollar figures are but BBM spawned (1) a paperback (2) hardcover (3) screenplay, essay papereback (4)soundtrack (5) 2 websites (6) clothing lines (7) several thousand ebay sales (8) record auction price for a NEW film wardrobe item.

But most of all it created dialogue across the globe.

I don't think people are rushing to go out and buy a copy of "In Cold Blood" or any other works by Truman Capote.

Lets see if and when the major movie chains drop BBM from their lineup.
RAB aka Raoul The Really Rotten

Offline jerasjr

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #72 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:32 PM »
My thought is that if we are going to do anything, it is to make a concerted effort at it.  Yes each of us mailing a letter would make a point, but if we had one letter, or several forms of a letter expressing our displeasure and sent it in all of our names or pseudos, then it would make the statement that while individually we feel a certain thing also collectively, as a group, we feel the same.  Maybe it would take both to make a better effect.
"A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."

Offline jagrafess

• Lureen
« Reply #73 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:53 PM »
Hi folks.  Look just an observation here, but the media seems quite surprised that Brokeback Mountain didn't win Best Picture.  What does that tell us?  Oscar or not, Brokeback Mountain - for all the controversy - does seem to have begrudginly won the respect of most people.  Difficult to get made, hard to cast, almost impossible to finance...but here we are with three oscars and a plethora of international awards.  So maybe Brokeback Mountain is like the thin edge of the wedge.  Years ago I'm sure people were uncomfortable being openly supportive of "anti-racist" ideas, but over time racism seems to be something Hollywood embraces.  Some people were still awkward about Brokeback, but now the ice has been broken in years to come other gay themed movies might get a better run.

I *do* find it fascinating to watch Hollywood fall over itself when it comes to anti-semitism or racism (especially towards American Negroes) yet things like bigotry and discrimination towards gay people leave people looking awkward and ill at ease.  Brokeback Mountain probably lost out NOT because of what it said about gay cowboys, but how it portrayed the people of the midwest (as gay hating gay bashers).  Had Jake and Ennis lived happily ever after we might have won that fourth Oscar.  Many people would have been squirming in their seats as those scenes of young Ennis being shown the dead rancher or of Jack being beaten to a pulp - because they would have been confronted with an image of themselves which was perhaps too close to the bone.  Thats why Brokeback lost IMHO.  Not because of its positive image of gay masculinity, but because it shon a spotlight on something has always been left unspoken. 
I wish I knew how to quit you

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #74 on: Mar 06, 2006, 02:57 PM »
As Ang said, it's the final frontier. 

I know some liberal white guys who put the movie down without seeing it.
I confronted one guy at a party the other night, smart guy, never a bigoted bone
in his body (so he thinks) but called it trite and a chick flick and hadn't seen it.
I got on his case, he said he would see it now, not sure if I believe him.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline BADBRAD

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #75 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:01 PM »
Let's take some comfort in knowing that Crash will be remembered as the suck movie that the homophobes in Hollywood used to defeat Brokeback Mountain.  Crash will NEVER stand up as a good movie on it's merits - it will just be known as the spoiler.  Remember when Shakespere in love defeated Saving Private Ryan...i think that important Hollywood types should somehow split up AMPAS and take the progressive liberal folk with vision as far away from the old fogie fartheads that did this. AMPAS has lost it's mind=and no one will watch the Oscars next year.  What a joke they have become.  As far as Crash it will be embroiled in law suits - the producers are suing....it is a loser and a spoiler and will become the movie no one remembers=be sure to read my links farther down to page.
karin  P.S.  i made an appointment with a psychologist today...I cannot stop crying and I really need to find out how to get a life again.  A real life.  I want to live out the rest of my days happy and productive and unselfishly--right now I am filled with sadness , anger and bitterness and just perplexed at the state of the world and its leaders.  xxoo

Good point.

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #76 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:04 PM »
Well last nights live thread was a roller coaster ride.I have been catching up on post oscar reports.I watched Ang interviewed at the entrance to the vanity fair party.When questioned if he was pleased about the best director win he said this..."Pleased for me yes.For Brokeback.No" He was also asked if he was shocked they didn't win best picture.He said 'Yes'.I admire his honesty. A couple of U.S newspaper reports below.

Jennis.x

The post-Oscars debate: Why Brokeback lost
Reuters - Mar 06, 12:26
The Oscars opened the closet door to gay-themed films but shut it
almost as quickly.

"Brokeback Mountain," the much-ballyhooed favorite about two gay
cowboys, won best director for Ang Lee on Sunday but stunningly lost
the best picture prize to race drama "Crash." Additionally Philip
Seymour Hoffman won best actor for playing gay novelist Truman Capote
in "Capote."

The victory for "Crash" suggested Oscar voters were more comfortable
with a tale that exploited the seamy underbelly of racial conflict in
contemporary Los Angeles than with a heartbreaking tale of love
between two married men.

"Perhaps the truth really is, Americans don't want cowboys to be
gay," said Larry McMurtry, 69, who shared an Oscar for best adapted
screenplay with Diana Ossana for "Brokeback."

No overtly gay love story has ever won a best picture award and, as
of Monday morning, none has. The big question going into the Oscars
was whether Hollywood, often in the forefront of social issues, would
break another taboo.

"Film buffs and the politically minded will be arguing this morning
about whether the Best Picture Oscar to 'Crash' was really for the
film's merit or just a cop-out by the Motion Picture Academy so it
wouldn't have to give the prize to 'Brokeback Mountain,"' said
Washington Post critic Tom Shales.

Los Angeles Times critic Kenneth Turan saw "Brokeback's" failure as a
sign that Hollywood was not yet ready to grant the topic of
homosexual love mainstream respectability.

"Despite all the magazine covers it graced, despite all the red-state
theaters it made good money in, despite (or maybe because of) all the
jokes late-night talk show hosts made about it, you could not take
the pulse of the industry without realizing that 'Brokeback Mountain'
made a number of people distinctly uncomfortable," he said, adding:

"So for people who were discomfited by 'Brokeback Mountain' but
wanted to be able to look themselves in the mirror and feel like they
were good, productive liberals, 'Crash' provided the perfect safe
harbor."

BROKEBACK, CRASH WIN 3

"Brokeback" led the field with eight nominations and ended up with
three prizes, also winning for original score.

Hoffman won for playing Truman Capote in "Capote," a story of the
archly gay writer going to Kansas to report on the murder of a family
of four for his classic book "In Cold Blood." Hollywood sweetheart
Reese Witherspoon won best actress for her performance as country
singer June Carter in the Johnny Cash biographical film, "Walk the
Line."

"Crash," which covers a 36-hour period in Los Angeles as the lives of
people of many races collide in a way that highlights bigotry, was a
close second to "Brokeback" in Oscar handicapping. "Crash"
writer/director Paul Haggis said he was "shocked, shocked" with the
victory. It also won three prizes.

"We're still trying to figure out if we got this," he said, clutching
his golden trophy in his hand. "None of us expected it. You hope, but
we had a tiny picture ... this was a year when Hollywood rewarded
rule breakers."

Following the plots of many of its message-themed movies, Oscar took
a decidedly political tone with winners noting causes, and freshman
show host Jon Stewart making wisecracks.

Stewart's performance seemed to divide the TV critics.

"It's hard to believe that professional entertainers could have put
together a show less entertaining than this year's Oscars, hosted
with a smug humorlessness by comic Jon Stewart, a sad and pale shadow
of great hosts gone by," said the Post's Shales.

"Brokeback Mountain" was released by Focus Features, a unit of NBC
Universal, which is controlled by General Electric Co. "Capote" was
released by Sony Pictures, a unit of Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news).

"Walk the Line" was released by Twentieth Century Fox, a unit of News
Corp.. "Crash" was released by Lionsgate, a unit of Lions Gate
Entertainment Corp.

Offline dr bill

• BBM Forever
  • Jack
  • There ain't never enough time, never enough...
« Reply #77 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:08 PM »
I realize that this experience has upset many of us.  Here is something I think is important to remember:

You make yourself and others suffer just as much when you take offense as when you give offense.

We create the world we live in.
A loving person lives in a loving world,
A hostile person lives in a hostile world.
Everyone you meet is your mirror.

Use this experience to change the world, instead of this experience changing you into what the world is.
Billy the Kid

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #78 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:19 PM »
Well last nights live thread was a roller coaster ride.I have been catching up on post oscar reports.I watched Ang interviewed at the entrance to the vanity fair party.When questioned if he was pleased about the best director win he said this..."Pleased for me yes.For Brokeback.No" He was also asked if he was shocked they didn't win best picture.He said 'Yes'.I admire his honesty. A couple of U.S newspaper reports below.

Jennis.x

The post-Oscars debate: Why Brokeback lost
Reuters - Mar 06, 12:26
The Oscars opened the closet door to gay-themed films but shut it
almost as quickly.

Ethan,
Just saw you have a section for news coverage.Sorry i posted this here.Do you want to move it sweetheart?

Jennis.x

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #79 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:23 PM »
I realize that this experience has upset many of us.  Here is something I think is important to remember:

You make yourself and others suffer just as much when you take offense as when you give offense.

Use this experience to change the world, instead of this experience changing you into what the world is.

Thanks for sharing this drbill  ;)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Lady

« Reply #80 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:26 PM »
Thanks drbill, your words are much appreciated :)

Offline kcristob

• Lureen
« Reply #81 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:28 PM »
I was pretty stunned last night.  I think CRASH is an interesting movie - a good movie even, and I did get something from it, but to win over BBM?  That seems so bizarre to me.

I really don't know much about the Oscars and how they all happen, but I get the feeling that there is some kind of bringing bbm down off it's "high horse."  (no pun intended)

I wonder if this movie was just too great for hollywood to embrace.  I guess what I'm feeling is - is there jealousy going on here?

People are pretty competitive by nature, and in that business, they like to see eachother succeed - a LITTLE but not too much?  Right?

I don't know...I'm still pretty shocked.  I'm glad there is this group to vent to.  No one else seems to understand why I feel personally invested in the outcome of the Oscars.  I'm not even sure I do - but I am.  I can imagine how BBM people (Ang, actors, Annie etc) must feel today.

Offline Lost_Girl

• Ennis
  • If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it.
« Reply #82 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:31 PM »
I'm glad to see, that here, on this topic and forum, we can talk about our feeling or anything else without fight each other... !  :)

I don't want talk again and again about best picture, crash or bbm. But I just want remind something.

When Ang Lee received the Oscar he said " I wish I knew how to quit you." ... (okay, maybe he should said "If you can't fix it, you gotta stand it. "  but.. lol) anyway the most important thing is what he tell to us once again (not sure exactly of course)

"They are called Ennis and Jack They learned to us so much from things, not only on the subject the homosexual ones in our company, but especially on the greatness of the love itself  "

Even Brokeback Mountain didn't win best picture, we already know what bbm bring to us and what the movie really mean and win.

Ps: I'm really sorry for my bad English.
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW BAD IT GETS !!!!

"There are places we can never return"
"When you ain't got nothing, you don't need nothing"

Icon by meowwwwwww

Offline jerasjr

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #83 on: Mar 06, 2006, 03:46 PM »
Believe me Lost Girl, You express yourself just fine.  Like you, think this site is unbelievably open and friendly.  Where else could a 60 year old male say to a 17 year old female  - I've had the same experience as you, BBM, and I know what you feel.  Before we get <ot> thanks for your posts.
"A mountain with a wolf on it stands a little taller."

JerBear418720

« Reply #84 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:59 PM »
I must admit that I went to bed last night more upset about all of the anger and hurt I was reading on the Oscar live thread than I was about BBM losing out for Best Picture.  I was in bed staring at the ceiling until almost 4am.

Today, it seems that members are calmer and more philosophical about what happened, and that is a good thing.

I won't even mention last night's finale, and I didn't buy the paper today like I always do after the Oscarcast.

IMHO, the priority now should be to preserve the unique and wonderful spirit of this incredible forum.  Oscar should not beat us down or in any way damage the experience that we share here.

With love to you all,

JB

aimi15

« Reply #85 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:03 PM »
I have tried to avoid newcasts all day - every time i ran into one was pleased to hear 'crash' followed by word 'shock', NO-ONE calling it a 'deserving winner', and followed by clips of BBM. I think to myself this has highlighted the integrity and regard critics and public alike have for BBM, perhaps a blessing in disguise?

Offline BADBRAD

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #86 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:10 PM »
Like so many of you, I am disappointed with the travesty that took place last evening at the Oscars. Let me share with you how I am dealing with this as I think it might help to put all of this into perspective. Rather than go directly to the board and post my anger and disgust after the awards, I instead poured a glass of wine and got into bed and proceeded to do a crossword puzzle. I fell asleep soon after, got up at 7AM, and went to the gym and did an hour workout listening to Gustavo's award- winning score. I came home, made a pot of chicken soup, and then decided I had cooled off enough and that it was time to do a post. Here it is:
The following headlines were in yesterday's Boston Globe:
US Freeze on Hamas Aid Carries Humanitarian Price
Flu Fears Spur Research Into Virus Killers
Bishops'  Ban To Exclude Gay Adoption Through Catholic Social Services Will Cost Church Millions
Explosive Devices In Iraq Evolve to Become Greater Threat
EU Reject Iranian Nuclear Offer
Bush, Musharraf Renew Alliance In War On Terror
And so on and so on....

I am hurt like all of you by this slap in the face from Hollywood, but please put this into proper perspective as to what is going on the world today.
It is time to move on. Heath and Michelle, Ang, and Jake have put this movie behind them as they move on with their careers and lives. We need to do the same. We have been touched, and our lives will never be the same, and we should be happy for that. It was a good ride while it lasted, and if we keep the spirit of this movie alive in our hearts, we will be better for it and the world will become better for it. I hurt, I ache, and I cry, but I need to move on, we all do. My hugs to all of you!

Here are a few of my observations on last night:

Let's celebrate the awards given to Ang Lee, Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana, and Gustavo Santaolalla, for they are truly deserving.
Heath and Michelle were the most attractive couple on the red carpet. Michelle's dress was the most beautiful of all.
Ang Lee's acceptance speech was classy and moving, he is a truly humble and caring person.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman gave a wonderful speech and mentioned how proud he was to be in the company of such wonderful actors.
George Clooney was his usual lovable, intelligent, and humble self, and we should be happy for him.
This Oscar show was without a doubt the worst ever, and was a complete bore and failure. Hollywood should be ashamed and we should be happy!
John Stewart should not give up his day job.
The nominated songs were terrible and the winning song was complete agony. Is this the best they can do?
The most unattractive couple was Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. Any movie starring Bullock has to suck, and isnt it time Reeves came out of the closet?

May peace and happiness be with all of you.

meandennis

I agree.  Soon the hurt will be gone and a year from now when we are watching BBM on DVD or HBO we will smile fondly on the beautiful film we all love so much.

Offline heathjake

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #87 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:36 PM »
I guess with me it's just that this film shouldn't have lost.....It seems the Academy purposely snubbed this movie saying, "Huh, we are not gonna let this movie win just because the whole world said it would"......I can only imagine how Heath, Jake, Michelle, Ang, Anne, and the whole crew must have felt....We received all the honors in the other award shows, it just seemed like someone threw a 'blurp' in the Best Picture category....
"She's in the condiment section"  "The What?"

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #88 on: Mar 06, 2006, 05:52 PM »

Excellent as always Bill.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline chameau

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #89 on: Mar 06, 2006, 06:35 PM »
Don't you find it strange Clint Eastwood was not attending the ceremony yesterday?  Normally he should have been the one to present the Best Director Award.  He was not looking very happy at the Golden Globes when had to present his award to Ang.

There are some people in the film industry I would like to correspond with, just to know what they think of this situation...
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault