Author Topic: HD-DVD version of BBM Collector's Edition  (Read 17161 times)

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
HD-DVD version of BBM Collector's Edition
« on: Feb 05, 2007, 09:32 PM »
Well, all you DVD fans, I just got my Toshiba HD-A2 second gen HD-DVD player today and am testing it out now.  The HD-DVD version of BBM has the same extras as the DVD Collector's version, except that it doesn't contain the postcards.  The quality is stunning!  As close to film as you'll get, I imagine.  I'm testing it out on my old rear projection Sony CRT 61" HDTV right now and it looks great.  I'm going to test it out on my ceiling mounted Barco CRT projector later on tonight and project it onto the 10 foot screen and will report back later.  Of course I will have to take the unit out to the lake property one of these weekends to test it out on the DLP projector (10 foot screen also), and the 50" plasma ;)  I can't wait!!!

I must say though, with a good video scaler, the standard def DVD looks awfully good too, but the added clarity is obvious in the HD-DVD version.  The true test is when it's projected to a larger screen which I will do later on tonight if I have the time.  Stay tuned!   O0

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: HD-DVD version of BBM Collector's Edition
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2007, 10:10 PM »
I will stay tuned for sure  :P
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2007, 03:04 AM »
OK I tried the HD-DVD player on the 250 lb. CRT projector hanging from the ceiling projecting onto a 10 foot image!  The image is definitely clearer with much more detail than the standard def DVD, although the latter isn't too shabby as I have a pretty good video scaler which looks best on a scaled 720p image and the HD-DVD looks best on native 1080i.  For some reason the projector doesn't do as well on 1080p as I wasn't able to converge the image satisfactorily (for all you techie types, you know what I mean).

I can't wait to test it on the newer DLP projector at the lakefront property.  You'll all be watching on that one  ;D

Offline flikker2005

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2007, 10:17 PM »
Last week I decided to upgrade my television and video player.  I purchased a Sharp Aquos 32" flat screen TV and a Toshiba HD-A20 player.  Of course, the first film that I bought in HD-DVD format was Brokeback Mountain.

The HD-DVD clarity is stunning.  I saw details that I had never noticed before.  Understand, that I saw the film 25 times in various theaters, and I watched the standard DVD more times than I can count.

Last night I watched Brokeback Mountain from start to finish on the new system, and I was again seeing the film for the first time.

If there is a war of formats, Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD, sign me up for HD-DVD.  (Crash is on Blu-Ray).

Touts les événements sont enchaîné dans le meilleur des mondes possibles ... VOLTAIRE "Candide; ou L'Optimisme"

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2008, 08:08 PM »
Now that HD-DVD format is officially dead, I wonder when Universal will be releasing BBM on BluRay discs.  Maybe they'll find it in their heart to finally give BBM fans some deleted scenes, and other extras.  Nah, I don't think they care....  ::)

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2008, 10:04 PM »
Dear dirtbiker:

Been wondering about this myself. I bought a BBM HD DVD several months ago to make sure I had one, I didn't have a HD player and until recently didn't have HDTV. Finally got 1080 50" HDTV in December, so now HD-DVD goes belly up! So I went to ebay yesterday and picked up a Toshiba 1080 HD-DVD player pretty cheap just to watch BBM in HD. I figure if I only ever watch this one movie it'll be worth it as I'll probably watch it about million times before the equipment or my eyes give out. Given the timing it may be years before they re-release BBM unless they do some really crass thing and try to cash in on poor Heath's demise. Crass? Hollywood? can't imagine it (ha!). Based on what Ang has said I don't expect to see deleted scenes anytime soon.
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2008, 12:42 AM »
Yes, I doubt that there will be any deleted scenes in the re-release on BluRay.  You are right about the player being worth it just to watch BBM.  I just picked up one online - the Toshiba A30 for $144 and with 7 free HD titles, it makes the player practically free!

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2008, 01:12 PM »
Yes, I doubt that there will be any deleted scenes in the re-release on BluRay.
You're speculating about the eventual re-release on Blu-Ray right? I haven't seen anything 'bout this.
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2008, 04:37 PM »
Yes, just speculation, but if they're not going to print anymore HD-DVD versions of BBM, I'm sure at some point in time they will re-release an HD version on BluRay.  I don't see any announcements yet though.  There's always that glimmer of hope that they will include other stuff this time.  I guess it depends on who owns the rights to all the reels.

Offline arizonamman

• Alma Jr.
  • David
Blu-Ray
« Reply #9 on: Nov 14, 2008, 10:02 AM »
Sorry I got the "120 day old" message to start a new topic when I wanted to post to another thread.
Anyone heard anything about a U.S. Blu-Ray release? Why did they go Blu-Ray in the UK but not here? I read that it won't play in the states. Is that correct?
Do you suppose that is all there will be?
I don't think a special "Heath dedication" edition would be appropriate as he was so good in so many films it would not be right to single out Brokeback.
Still, you would think there would be at least a re-release on Blu-Ray now that HD is extinct.
I guess it all depends on whether or not they think there would be a profit in it.
 :(
David

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #10 on: Nov 14, 2008, 01:15 PM »
I found this on an Amazon forum:

Not until Universal starts releasing in the Blu-ray format.They currently back HD DVD exclusively. My guess is middle to late 2008.

We're already late 2008...

I also found this article, Universal started to release Blue Ray DVDs but there is no mention of BBM but the usual Block Busters stuff.

http://gizmodo.com/380896/first-universal-blu+ray-discs-hit-july-22-but-wheres-the-big-lebowski

I you ever have an unlocked (multi zones) Blue Ray player, BBM on Blue Ray is available from U.K.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline arizonamman

• Alma Jr.
  • David
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2008, 11:00 AM »
I found this on an Amazon forum:

Not until Universal starts releasing in the Blu-ray format.They currently back HD DVD exclusively. My guess is middle to late 2008.

We're already late 2008...

I also found this article, Universal started to release Blue Ray DVDs but there is no mention of BBM but the usual Block Busters stuff.

http://gizmodo.com/380896/first-universal-blu+ray-discs-hit-july-22-but-wheres-the-big-lebowski

I you ever have an unlocked (multi zones) Blue Ray player, BBM on Blue Ray is available from U.K.

Yep, I saw the Amazon one and I just read through the other link. I agree that an unlockable player and UK BR disc is probably the only way to see a BR BBM until they can find a way to make $$ from a re-release in the U.S.  >:(
Oh Well, I don't have a 1080p TV yet anyway.
David

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2008, 10:25 AM »
Yep, I saw the Amazon one and I just read through the other link. I agree that an unlockable player and UK BR disc is probably the only way to see a BR BBM until they can find a way to make $$ from a re-release in the U.S.  >:(
Oh Well, I don't have a 1080p TV yet anyway.

You can get a cheap HD-DVD player and get the HD version of BBM.  That's what I did!

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2009, 01:50 PM »
I'll post this here also:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Gay_&_Lesbian/Universal/Disc_Announcements/Universal_Announces_Brokeback_Mountain_for_Blu-ray/2412

-------------------------------------

Universal Announces 'Brokeback Mountain' for Blu-ray
Fri Jan 16, 2009 at 01:00 PM ET

Universal Studios has announced an early-March Blu-ray debut for the Oscar-winning 'Brokeback Mountain.'

Originally released on HD DVD in early 2007, Universal will play catch up with the highly-acclaimed drama when it releases the Heath Ledger-Jake Gyllenhaal starrer on Blu-ray March 3.

Tech specs will see a BD-50 dual-layer disc with 1080p/VC-1 video and English DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 Surround.

Extras will match the previous HD DVD and DVD special editions, with a wealth of making-of featurettes: "A Groundbreaking Success," "Music From the Mountain," "Impressions From the Film," "On Being a Cowboy," "Directing From the Heart: Ang Lee," "From Script to Screen" and "Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Mountain."

The Blu-ray will also come BD-Live-enabled, and with the My Scenes bookmarking feature.

Suggested retail price for the Blu-ray has been set at $34.99.

You'll find the latest specs for 'Brokeback Mountain' linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where it's indexed under March 3.

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2009, 08:33 PM »
Boohoo, sounds like their not adding anything different on the bluray that we already have on hd-dvd :(

Offline tpe

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2009, 10:48 AM »
Boohoo, sounds like their not adding anything different on the bluray that we already have on hd-dvd :(

Yes, this is all getting very tiresome.  How I wish they would add SOMETHING.  :)

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2009, 07:11 PM »
I forgot to post, I got the bluray DVD in April, had to order it from Amazon (USA) since it was not and still not yet released in Canada, so I had it delivered in Las Vegas where I picked it.

There are the same extras as the regular DVD, no cut scenes but there is a Music from the Mountain that was also (I guess) on the (supposed to be) collector's edition (which I boycotted).  So this is about the story of Gustavo composing the music and many songs for the movie, I like this one a lot.

For the rest the HD quality makes the viewing a totally new experience, images are crisper, colors are more natural, the sound is sharper, it was worth the purchase... and I'm not counting the purchase of the bluray player.  ^*()

But I'm glad about the bluray player, "regular" DVDs are playing better too. :)

Now I have a question.  Is it normal for a bluray player to take forever to load a bluray DVD? ???
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #17 on: Sep 25, 2009, 02:32 PM »
Yes, chameau, blu-ray and HD-DVD players takes up to 30 seconds to load due to the firmware bootup sequence.  The newer players are a little faster, maybe 15-20 seconds.  I'm only getting blu-ray discs of movies that I REALLLLLYYYY REALLLLYYY want  ;D

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #18 on: Sep 25, 2009, 04:27 PM »
I'm only getting blu-ray discs of movies that I REALLLLLYYYY REALLLLYYY want  ;D

Same here :)
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline tizi17

• Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2009, 03:37 AM »
oh my....

i have the HD version....  (:*   <^(

it should be my christmas present.. but it's sitting on my desk and calling me...  <^(
will i be able to manage NOT to watch it until christmas?  :s)   ;)
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #20 on: Oct 18, 2009, 04:31 AM »
will i be able to manage NOT to watch it until christmas?  :s)   ;)

:clap: probably not. Make Christmas come early.  #s}
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline rdx

• Jack
5th anniversary DVD/Blu-ray?
« Reply #21 on: Mar 29, 2010, 02:42 PM »

Brokeback Mountain was released in 2007 in the UK on the Blu-ray and last year the high definition format saw light of day in North America and continental Europe. The American collector's edition was released in Jan 2007. The regular DVD edition was released in the spring/summer of 2006.

Is it too early to hope for a proper DVD/Blu-ray release with the deleted scenes to mark the 5th anniversary of the release of the film? I know what has been said here about the deleted scenes but I haven't lost my hope.

Any pieces of information?

"That's some high class entertainment, if you ask me." Ennis

"I'm spurrin' his guts out! Wavin' to the girls in the stands! He's kickin' me to high heaven, but he don't jackboard me! No!" Jack

Offline Lana786

• Alma
Re: 5th anniversary DVD/Blu-ray?
« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2010, 05:08 PM »
That would be sooo cool but don't know if they will do that...  :-\\
"It could be like this... just like this... always..."

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2010, 06:04 AM »
I swear there are enough Brokies to support this.. :cr)
"I'm spurrin' his guts out! Wavin' to the girls in the stands! He's kickin' me to high heaven, but he don't jackboard me! No!" Jack

Offline Ferdinand

• Jack
« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2010, 07:19 AM »

Brokeback Mountain was released in 2007 in the UK on the Blu-ray and last year the high definition format saw light of day in North America and continental Europe. The American collector's edition was released in Jan 2007. The regular DVD edition was released in the spring/summer of 2006.

Is it too early to hope for a proper DVD/Blu-ray release with the deleted scenes to mark the 5th anniversary of the release of the film? I know what has been said here about the deleted scenes but I haven't lost my hope.

Any pieces of information?

"That's some high class entertainment, if you ask me." Ennis

I do not believe. From that there will be nothing.  ??? Although I very very want this.  <^( And all Brokies want this, right? I did not heard that they intend to issue such a DVD.  :-\\
Go to sleep, may your sweet dreams come true,
Just lay back in my arms for one more night.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #25 on: Apr 04, 2010, 04:16 PM »
Sorry to rain on your parade but forget about a new special edition with cut scenes, this matter was discussed before, see for reference:

FOCUS FEATURE...will there be added scenes to DVD.
http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=2275.0

BBM Collectors Edition:*To Be Released Jan 23rd 2007
http://www.ennisjack.com/index.php?topic=7148.0

I would be surprised they do this after 4 years the initial DVD was released... that was actually April 4th 2006 in North America so that's just 4 years today.

The so called ''special edition" just had some printed pictures from the movie and an extra feature called "music from the mountain" about the music and the score of BBM, that's it.

this same "music from the mountain" is also on the Bllue-ray, at least the North American version.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 11:54 AM »

I would be surprised they do this after 4 years the initial DVD was released... that was actually April 4th 2006 in North America so that's just 4 years today.

Sorry chameau..I was a bit unpunctual in my post.. :*( I meant the theatrical/festival release of the film in the fall/autumn of 2005.

Well, maybe something new will released for the 10th anniversary in 2015...at least ennisjack.com will still be going strong.

Soon it will be 6 years since the filming started in Canada. I wonder whether the cast and crew knew what was coming: a phenomenon unrivaled.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:55 PM by rdx »

Offline rdx

• Jack
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:43 AM »
A "new" Blu-ray will be released in the USA & Canada on January 10th:

Nope, nothing new content wise... :-\\

Offline Ferdinand

• Jack
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2011, 12:10 PM »
Better something than nothing ...Nice packaging. :*(
Go to sleep, may your sweet dreams come true,
Just lay back in my arms for one more night.

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #29 on: Dec 13, 2011, 12:49 AM »
Wow rdx, wonder if they will include some deleted scenes on this release?  :s)