Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 644061 times)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #690 on: Apr 01, 2008, 06:27 AM »
A black eyed dog he called at my door
The black eyed dog he called for more
A black eyed dog he knew my name
A black eyed dog he knew my name
A black eyed dog
A black eyed dog.

Im growing old and I wanna go home
Im growiing old and I dont wanna know
Im growing old and I wanna go home.

A black eyed dog he called at my door
A black eyed dog he called for more.

Thanks Asali. The song is so sad, when you know what the black eyed dog stands for. And Heath cought the atmosphere so well, which is probably why it's so hard for me to watch.
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #691 on: Apr 01, 2008, 06:38 AM »
Thanks Asali. The song is so sad, when you know what the black eyed dog stands for. And Heath cought the atmosphere so well, which is probably why it's so hard for me to watch.

I agree Keren, the words from the song together with the images of Heath in the video are really powerful and sad.
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

yb

« Reply #692 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:11 AM »
I got the following 2 pieces from dcf:

About Heath's Portrait

I know the portrait of Heath by Vincent Fantauzzo is quite controversial, here's an interview of Vincent by the Art Gallery of New South Wales during which he has talked in depth about Heath and the portrait, here's the link to the interview which I think is worth watching:

http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/events/multimedia/vincent_fantauzzo

An Article by Luke Davies, the author of Candy

Luke Davies has written an article paying tribute to Heath in the March issue of The Monthly, here's the link:

http://www.themonthly.com.au/tm/node/821

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #693 on: Apr 08, 2008, 01:45 PM »
That is an absolutely wonderful tribute by Luke Davies. Thank you so much for posting the link. :^^)
For a moment in our lives. Forever in our hearts.

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #694 on: Apr 08, 2008, 03:19 PM »
I agree Flwrchild, I have only read the Luke Davies tribute so far and its absolutely amazing.  I loved all the insights into Heath's life that we got to see, it made me love the man even more than I did before, if thats possible.  Thanks for posting these yb,  ^f^

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
« Reply #695 on: Apr 08, 2008, 03:42 PM »

yb, that Luke Davis article was amazing, even put a lumb in my throat, which is hard to do. Thank you!!  :\'(
"The day I stop having fun, I'll just walk away." -- Heath Ledger

"For a moment in our lives, forever in our hearts." -- Heath Ledger, 1/22/08

"In the dark, I really felt like I could escape to anywhere.
To a place where anything could happen at any time.
Where chaos could reign but the world would never end."
-- Noah Mayer

As the World Turns -- April 2, 1956 - September 17, 2010

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #696 on: Apr 08, 2008, 04:17 PM »
I agree Flwrchild, I have only read the Luke Davies tribute so far and its absolutely amazing.  I loved all the insights into Heath's life that we got to see, it made me love the man even more than I did before, if thats possible.  Thanks for posting these yb,  ^f^

It happens to me with every new thing I learn about him. Luke Davis's tribute made me cry again, I don't have the words to describe how I feel...  :\'(
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #697 on: Apr 08, 2008, 04:21 PM »
It happens to me with every new thing I learn about him. Luke Davis's tribute made me cry again, I don't have the words to describe how I feel...  :\'(

Oh Keren..... :ghug: :ghug: :ghug:

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
« Reply #698 on: Apr 08, 2008, 04:30 PM »

Keren, Christie
I agree with both of you, it always makes me very worse because it tells you how much more it was to loss such a man like Heath  :-\\

-- Noah Mayer

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #699 on: Apr 08, 2008, 07:52 PM »
I just read the Luke Davies article and wow  :\'( :\'(

as the flurry of phone calls and text messages multiplied, wishing for anything, anything at all other than this abrupt impossibility. I think we all know that well  :\'(

Yet he fully inhabited his life, and he left not just traces but great swathes of himself. That was so perfectly stated. This article brought that gut punch again.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

yb

« Reply #700 on: Apr 08, 2008, 08:48 PM »
That interview with Vincent Fantauzzo is fascinating as well.  I know a lot of people have reservation about the portrait, but in the interview he talked extensively about how he and Heath discussed about the approach to the portrait, how Heath was at work and his interaction with his mother and friends.  One thing that stood out to me when watching the interview is Vincent Fantauzzo is also a shy person.  I highly recommend it.

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #701 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:00 PM »
I agree yb. And for people who have been a little put off by the portrait, or just feel uncomfortable with it, I think watching this would be somewhat reassuring. :)

"They were respectful of each other’s opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected." ~ BBM Short Story

The first way is to be kind. The second way is to be kind. The third way is to be kind. (Mister Rogers)

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #702 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:17 PM »
I had watched a vid about the portrait and if my memory isn't faulty he said that he was offered lots of money for it but was thinking of giving the portrait to Heath's mother. Or am I confusing things in my head? At any rate I was moved by the fact that it's not the money and some decency remains in this world.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline FlwrChild

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #703 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:20 PM »
Yes, he said that he's going to give it to Heath's mom. He has been offered a lot of money, but as you said, some decency remains in this world. They were genuinely friends and I'm glad that he's honoring Heath's memory that way. He also said that his mom was there for the sitting and in on the creative process, so I'm sure for her the picture will have all kinds of meaning.

yb

« Reply #704 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:35 PM »
I really like that interview, it gives us some insight to the last month of Heath's life  :\'(.  And I love that Heath was obviously having a great time in his hometown.  The down side of it was it brought back all the tears about this tragedy.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #705 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:43 PM »
 :ghug: YB

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
« Reply #706 on: Apr 08, 2008, 09:50 PM »

About Heath's Portrait

I know the portrait of Heath by Vincent Fantauzzo is quite controversial, here's an interview of Vincent by the Art Gallery of New South Wales during which he has talked in depth about Heath and the portrait, here's the link to the interview which I think is worth watching:

Thank you for this interview.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #707 on: Apr 08, 2008, 10:53 PM »
That is an absolutely wonderful tribute by Luke Davies. Thank you so much for posting the link. :^^)

Yes, thank you, yb, for posting that.  I was just about to, as a friend sent it to me earlier today.  It was quite a beautiful picture of Heath at work and play...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #708 on: Apr 08, 2008, 11:37 PM »
YB, thank you so much for this. The Luke Davies tribute is simply amazing. I cried all the way through.

"a simpler kind of sadness - at the loss of someone we enjoyed being in the presence of, someone whose transparent openness to his characters' emotions had made us feel, however briefly, more richly our own."

"nailed not only the mannerisms, cadence and physical presence of Skip," says Donnelly, "but also how he raises Skip's spirit, which is the heart and soul and most of what's really great in a not-altogether-great film."

That was the greatness of Heath, raising ordinary mortals to a higher level, enriching impoverished lives with his endless store of kindness, energy, sincerity.

I am especially thankful, to watch the interview, to understand more fully the intended interpretation of the painting, as a reflection of Heath's thought processes when faced with the media. The darkness of the painting always bothered, but understanding it now, I can see it in a proper light, and feel better for it.

It is difficult to imagine, that tears come so easily after so many days for someone I never met. But as Luke Davies said, his "transparent openness to his characters' emotions had made us feel, however briefly, more richly our own." There is no question that for me Heath enriched my life.

About Heath's Portrait

http://www.artgallery.nsw.gov.au/events/multimedia/vincent_fantauzzo

An Article by Luke Davies, the author of Candy

Luke Davies has written an article paying tribute to Heath in the March issue of The Monthly, here's the link:

http://www.themonthly.com.au/tm/node/821

Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #709 on: Apr 09, 2008, 12:17 AM »
I agree yb. And for people who have been a little put off by the portrait, or just feel uncomfortable with it, I think watching this would be somewhat reassuring. :)

This is absolutely the case, yes.  I have a whole other feeling and concept about the painting now, having watched this interview with Vincent F.  I respect him tremendously, and value the process the two of them went through together...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

yb

« Reply #710 on: Apr 09, 2008, 08:39 AM »
This is an interview (video and article) of Verne Troyer recalling working with Heath on Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and how a lot of people working on the set has tattooed a heart which Heath had scribbled on a note in memory of him.  Here's the article and the link where you may see the video in which he broke down in tears:

Verne Troyer Recalls Working With Heath Ledger On His Final Film: 'Heath Meant A Lot To A Lot Of People'

Troyer even got a tattoo with other 'Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus' cast- and crewmembers in memory of the late actor.

SANTA MONICA, California — When people normally see Verne Troyer, sadness is the farthest thing from their minds. The world's smallest movie star has brought laughter to millions as Mini-Me, the diminutive sidekick to Dr. Evil in the "Austin Powers" films, and reteams with Mike Myers in June for the comedy "The Love Guru."

The drama he most recently finished shooting, however, has grabbed international headlines with its tragic and ultimately inspiring behind-the-scenes story. This week, an emotional Troyer tried to hold back the tears, speaking about his "Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" co-star and friend Heath Ledger.

"I've just got to say thank you to Heath for letting me be a part of his life for that short period of time," Troyer said, thinking back to the day the world first heard about the Oscar nominee's January 22 death. "It's just tragic.

"What happened was that we had just finished filming in London, and I had a scene with Heath, as did Christopher Plummer, who's also in the film, Lily Cole and Andrew Garfield," the actor recalled. "We had all just worked with him and we all flew back. He flew back to New York, I flew back to L.A., and two days or three days after he was in New York was when it happened. I was still recovering from jet lag back in L.A., and I didn't know about it until my manager called me. She wouldn't tell me on the phone. She literally came over and told me. And I just literally broke down."

At that sensitive memory, Troyer had to pause for a moment and request a tissue. But still, he insisted on finishing up the thought.

"He was such a talented actor and just a good person all around," he added. "I couldn't believe it."

Written and directed by legendary filmmaker Terry Gilliam, Troyer admitted that any attempt at summarizing the fantasy world of "Parnassus" would be futile. Still, he gave it his best shot.

"Christopher Plummer plays Doctor Parnassus, and I play Percy. My real name is Percival St. Antwon Delatrane the third," he grinned. "It's a traveling theater group, and we have an old horse-drawn carriage, and the wagon folds out into a theater with a stage. We travel from town to town. We have a magic mirror that people go into to experience their imaginations, and they have a choice of which direction they want their lives to go. There's one direction where it looks good, but it's actually not good, and then there's [one] that doesn't look good, and that's probably the right path to take."

After Ledger's death, there were concerns that the film could be scrapped and the actor's final scenes lost forever. Then, Troyer remembered, something very special happened.

"We had Johnny Depp, we had Colin Farrell, we had Jude Law come in and do scenes, just to honor Heath," he explained. "[Now], when Heath goes into the mirror, he comes out as another person, and that's where these other actors come in."

As those A-listers helped complete the film, Troyer and many of the other people in the "Parnassus" family devised their own tribute to the "Brokeback Mountain" star. "There was a note that Heath had written his e-mail on and had given it to Holly, who is Terry's daughter and a publicist for the film," he explained. "After his e-mail, he scribbled a heart on it."

Now, that very scribble is inked forever on Troyer's right hand. "A lot of us went and copied that heart and had it tattooed, in remembrance of Heath," he explained, showing off his heartfelt symbol. "We had it copied identical to how he scribbled it. ... [We have it in] various places. I believe Lily got it on the inside of her arm. Holly got it up on the inside of her arm."

As it now stands, "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus" is looking like it will survive to give Ledger's legion of heartbroken fans the opportunity to glimpse the last scenes he ever performed before a camera, likely sometime in 2009. Troyer understands why they're eager to experience one last Ledger memory — and will always be happy that he was able to do the same.

"It's a scene where we've just picked up Heath, and he was knocked-out, and we put him in the trunk of the carriage and he comes out of the carriage not knowing where he's at," Troyer recalls of his favorite memory of the late actor. "Then I come out of my quarters, which is underneath the wagon, in a drawer that pulls out. ... It was this scene where it's just me and him. He was off-camera [for a while]. It was basically just on me, and I got to react off of him. He helped me get through a scene [where I had to say my name]. I stumbled a couple of times trying to get through it.

"Terry, don't get mad at me," he continued, offering his director an apology. "I have footage, personal footage, of that scene that I took on my camera. And that's something I'm going to treasure for a lifetime.

"Heath meant a lot," Troyer added, "to a lot of people."

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1585063/story.jhtml

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #711 on: Apr 09, 2008, 08:47 AM »
yb, this is such a lovely article.....I loved how so many people were touched by Heath enough to have that one scribbled heart tattooed on them, as a constant reminder of the man they loved and admired....

Thanks for posting.  ^f^  Sadly, I cant access the video as I am not in the US.   :(

yb

« Reply #712 on: Apr 09, 2008, 08:55 AM »
Christie, I don't know why, but I can watch it.  It's basically the same as the article, but at one point he had tears rolling down and they had to stop for a while for him to recoup.  He has the heart tattooed at the same position as Heath's maple leaf.

Offline Emzan

• Jack + Ennis
  • I Miss You My Beautiful Baby
« Reply #713 on: Apr 09, 2008, 09:00 AM »
Thanks for posting ^f^
I can see the video, its heartbreaking :\'(
Nuke the EFF on!!

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #714 on: Apr 09, 2008, 09:01 AM »
Christie, I don't know why, but I can watch it.  It's basically the same as the article, but at one point he had tears rolling down and they had to stop for a while for him to recoup.  He has the heart tattooed at the same position as Heath's maple leaf.

I wonder why I cant watch it?   :(  Oh well, maybe I will get to see it eventually. 

Thanks for posting it anyway.  But its just so heartbreaking....so many people all over the world are affected in some way by Heath's death.... :\'( :\'( :\'(

Offline Marj

• Jack + Ennis
  • Save a horse, Ride a cowboy
« Reply #715 on: Apr 09, 2008, 09:11 AM »
Oh my, this is so lovely and sad, this shows what a terrific guy Heath was!!
I cried the whole video, can you imagine how Heath made such an impact on other people.  :\'(
It's such a sweet and wonderfull idea to tattoo a heart with the crew to rember him by.
Thank you yb for posting !!

PS: Christie..I live in The netherlands and I can watch the video.
Jack Twist: "...so what we got now is Brokeback Mountain...I wish I knew how to quit you."

Offline totc

• Cassie
  • Precious baby, thank you
« Reply #716 on: Apr 09, 2008, 11:40 AM »
I can watch the video too. Troyer's sadness seemed so genuine, it was heartbreaking to watch. Thanks for posting it.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep
but I have promises to keep
and miles to go before I sleep
and miles to go before I sleep

---Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost

Offline tizi17

• Jack + Ennis
  • I love you Ennis, always did and always will..
« Reply #717 on: Apr 09, 2008, 01:08 PM »
this takes my heart away... oh dear ...  :\'(
".. a love that dare not speak its name.." oscar wilde

Offline hpv

• Jack + Ennis
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
« Reply #718 on: Apr 09, 2008, 02:17 PM »
This is an interview (video and article) of Verne Troyer recalling working with Heath on Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus,
...."I've just got to say thank you to Heath for letting me be a part of his life for that short period of time" 
oh...I cried with him ... :\'(
and what an amazing thing to say!
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
« Reply #719 on: Apr 09, 2008, 02:28 PM »

I had no idea Troyer worked with Heath on Dr. Parnassus..
I repected Veren so much as an actor, even when he was just beginning
I almost cried when I saw the tear rolling down his eye. He and so many of the people their were affected SO much by him..
I loved the tattoo that some of the members had gotten as tribute of him as well  :\'(
Thank you yb  :ghug:

-- Noah Mayer