Author Topic: Oprah: It's here & Your thought  (Read 36343 times)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2006, 09:21 AM by frog123 »
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Oprah: It's here & Your thought
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:00 PM »
They are so great!!! so funny, so n'sync..it's great

Jack Nasty loves you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2006, 08:28 PM by frog123 »

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Offline jamie

• Cassie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:12 PM »
So what did everyone think?

Personally, after seeing him today and also on Leno last night, I'm not sure I like Jake's attitude toward the entire film. He sort of has a "Oh yeah, it's a beautiful story but it -is- gay, afterall" perspective. And Heath just seemed sort of noncommital. I realize that they can't put themselves in our place and see the movie from where we saw it, and that a movie is a lot different when you're the person behind the scenes trying to portray it to the world. But it still kind of bugs me out to see it because the actors are so closely wrapped now with my image of Jack and Ennis. I think I'd feel the same way if I saw either of them in another movie. But that's just me.

How about everyone else out there?

Offline jakeofrome

• Randall Malone
  • Lureen
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:20 PM »
Awesome show. And Oprah saying "go see it" really means A LOT.
On a side note, it's incredible how much Jake and Heath really ARE like Jack and Ennis.
"I loved it. Shocking. Surprising. The guy who financed my movie did that too. He's a very mild mannered chap from Minnesota and we'd just screened the latest cut of my film and he asked if I wanted to see it. I was thinking, 'OK, this really square, straight guy,' and he showed me this movie. It's amazing.

"They're really good those boys and they did a great job. It's very brave of them."

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:21 PM »
Well I loved it (link was already posted so I merged both threads)

They were very funny, I'm upset it was only half the show though.

My sum up: Heath and Jake are friends, the reunion kiss was the 1st scene they ever shot...and Anne said what we all knew: Lureen knew about J&E!

I also cannot wait for oscar nominations and for Jake to shout "Jack Nasty loves you" when Heath wins the Oscar for best actor!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2006, 08:28 PM by frog123 »

Offline Sitaram

• For Serious Discussions of Literature & Philosophy
  • Lureen
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:35 PM »
I drastically rearranged my schedule to be able to come home and see the caste on Oprah.  I wanted to see Heath on Jay Leno, but I was so tired that I fell asleep with the TV on, missed it, and woke up at 4am with the TV still on.

Oprah seems like an ethical sincere person who would not give false praise.  She spoke of Brokeback Mountain as a serious major achievement in films (my words).

One of the caste members mentioned how they always log on to some popular website for the movie (just kidding).

I do not follow the news much at all. I was not aware of the romance and marriage and new baby girl, but I find such news heartwarming.

Jake seems the most beautiful, charming, sparkling personality out of the four very beautiful and sparkling actors.

All four seem to possess the wonderful quality of humility and equanimity in the face of a praise and fame which might inflate the eqos of less tempered souls.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2006, 08:45 PM by Sitaram »
Words Transform the World (one person at a time).

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:38 PM »
well said Sitaram!

do you want the link to the Jay Leno interview?..it's here somewhere!!!

Offline karind1

• Jack
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:54 PM »
here is link to video of OPRAH show
HERE IS VIDEO OF OPRAH SHOW TODAY
http://iheartjake.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi?board=gyllenhaalics&action=display&num=1138406893
you may have to scroll down

enjoy

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2006, 08:57 PM »
here is link to video of OPRAH show
HERE IS VIDEO OF OPRAH SHOW TODAY
http://iheartjake.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi?board=gyllenhaalics&action=display&num=1138406893
you may have to scroll down

enjoy

thankx for the second link

x froggy

Offline Krispera

• Alma
  • krisp luvs you
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:19 PM »
Wow, I smiled all the long. Heath and Michelle were wonderfull, they look like their characters! Jake and Anna were differents so.. (Anna talked too much..) Heath so cute in this :)

The '' Jack Nasty'' part was funny hehe  ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2006, 09:21 PM by Krispera »

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:22 PM »
Wow, I smiled all the long. Heath and Michelle were wonderfull, they look like their characters! Jake and Anna were differents so.. (Anna talked too much..) Heath so cute in this :)

Anne did talk a lot...but then again Michelle and Heath never do!!! Plus she is the one that has less media attention...she took this opportunity to be noticed!
Did you how pissed off she looked when Oprah praised Michelle about the reunion kiss scene??

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:41 PM »

Many thanks for the links !!!!

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2006, 09:56 PM »
Wow, this is fast. It is great that we can all see it. Thanks for posting the link, froggy.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

tweric

« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:07 PM »
Well, it's official. Jake is reeeaallly cute  :P

Offline Jennis

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:32 PM »
THANKYOU!!! Froggy
You are brilliant.The show is wonderful and i am greatful to of been able to see it.
Jennis.x

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:33 PM »
Yes, we enjoyed the Oprah experience. These actors are so young and especially Anne was so different from Lureen it was quite scary..she's talented, too! Heath is so uncomfortable and humble, Michelle is so supportive, and Jake so energetic...can you believe how great this movie was cast??? Thanks to Oprah...with her plugging the movie on a Friday LOOK for a big box office this weekend!!!! (11 nominations Tuesday)
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:49 PM »

Personally, after seeing him today and also on Leno last night, I'm not sure I like Jake's attitude toward the entire film. He sort of has a "Oh yeah, it's a beautiful story but it -is- gay, afterall" perspective. And Heath just seemed sort of noncommital. I realize that they can't put themselves in our place and see the movie from where we saw it, and that a movie is a lot different when you're the person behind the scenes trying to portray it to the world. But it still kind of bugs me out to see it because the actors are so closely wrapped now with my image of Jack and Ennis. I think I'd feel the same way if I saw either of them in another movie. But that's just me.

Jake does seem to come out the way you describe. I didn't like his interview with Leno either. It makes you think when he said he first heard the movie as gay cowboy and he just didnt want to have anything to do with it. He then said because he was only 16 at that time. Later, he heard that Ang Lee was directing the movie so he came on board. I would hope that his decision was based on the characters and story and how they could inspire him to take on a such role.

You are right. They didn't see the movies from us. Perhaps that explains why this movie is a success because they didn't bear our expections in mind.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline bnjmn3

• Jack
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:10 PM »
I think artists are not really able to watch themselves objectively. AND I think we really don't want to believe the BBM characters are not real! (Some on this forum have said they are going to avoid seeing interviews with the stars!) Give Jake et al a break. Remember that the BBM characters which have had such an effect on us came from inside these actors and the wonderfully written story and screenplay and a great director and production staff.  Our experience would have been different with a different cast and crew...THANKS TO OPRAH.
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline shakestheground

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:35 PM »
I love you...

And I loved what Anne Hathaway had to say regarding the Oscars, and I can't remember it exactly, but it was like the movie had hit so many people in the heart, the awards are are like, secondary...I'll have to go back and watch it again.
"The sky looked like a big, giant broke off piece of something blank he had forgotten about"

--Flanney O'Conner, Wise Blood

Offline bunny

• Cassie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2006, 12:36 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!   

I loved how flirty Oprah was with the boys.  :)  And her audience of (mostly) women (mostly) over 30 going crazy over "A Passionate Affair.  Two Gorgeous Men.  Secretly In Love."   Hee!  Oprah fan are so slashers!

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2006, 12:39 AM »
I loved what Anne said about the movie - that even if it wasn't big or nominated (or something to that effect) it did much more to further understanding.

Offline Insomniac487

• Lureen
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2006, 12:40 AM »
its down! noo.. i wanna download it :( i had work so i missed it.. and i just HAVE to see it.  Hope you get the link working soon!
name's kevin

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2006, 01:01 AM »
It is a fairly large file 56 MB. Try this link

http://rapidshare.de/files/11984381/BBMCast_Oprah_1.27.06.wmv.html
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2006, 10:06 AM by ethan »

Offline hidesert

• Alma
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2006, 01:30 AM »

Jake does seem to come out the way you describe. I didn't like his interview with Leno either. It makes you think when he said he first heard the movie as gay cowboy and he just didnt want to have anything to do with it. He then said because he was only 16 at that time. Later, he heard that Ang Lee was directing the movie so he came on board. I would hope that his decision was based on the characters and story and how they could inspire him to take on a such role.

You are right. They didn't see the movies from us. Perhaps that explains why this movie is a success because they didn't bear our expections in mind.

I looked at it a second time and I don't think Jake had an attitude.  He and Anne are cut-ups and they brought needed humor to the interview.   I agree, I didn't care for Jake's "Leno" interview either or even the "Ellen" interview.   The "Ellen" one was funny, but he was much more relaxed and gave more thoughtful answers in the "Oprah" one.

You could see Heath and Jake getting uncomfortable when Oprah started asking the same old tired questions every interviewer has been asking them - Is the movie going to hurt your career?  What was it like doing the kiss?  What about the intimate tent scene?   Very few original questions - boring, boring, boring  etc.

The person I'd like to see interview that group is Charlie Rose.  He's an exceptional interviewer and always asks thoughtful questions..

From an outsider perspective, it appears that very few of the film's makers saw the potential of BBM.  As Heath mentioned in the interview (it's also been mentioned in print interviews) - it was supposed to be a little film like an art house film.  Well crafted, but a lesser Ange Lee film that few people would see. 

I think it's very interesting that they didn't praise Annie Proulx for her great short story and Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana for their screenplay.  If you don't have a story and a screenplay you don't have a movie.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2006, 01:39 AM »
I think it's very interesting that they didn't praise Annie Proulx for her great short story and Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana for their screenplay.  If you don't have a story and a screenplay you don't have a movie.

You are right. But I have seen the interview which Heath said how much he was drawn to the script (not to Larry and Diana directly though). I did not remember reading anything which the case refers to Annie Proulx short story.

My boyfriend did comment on Jack for appearing a little bit cocky. (sorry Jake's fans).

For me, I am just happy to see the cast for the first time together and promote this movie. Even though the questions are tiring and old, I still want to see and hear them for the first time.  :)
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2006, 01:41 AM by ethan »

Offline ranchgal

• Lureen
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2006, 02:12 AM »
I really enjoyed the O segment.
I also think that Jake is being honest.   The first time,  He hadn't read the story, didn't know anything except the screen play and if he was 16 then and is 24 now---that is some years back, I can see why he wouldn't have anything to do with it, it would have killed his carreer back then.

He and Heath both were brought into the movie because of the quality of the screenplay, and the fact that they both trusted Ang to do the movie and their characters justice.
This movie could have been just as bad as Jake originally feared about it IF it would have been in the wrong hands.   That is why it was around for years and NO one would actually try to make it.

these four actors are all under 27 and suddenly placed under every scrutiny that our society can throw at them---just exactly how do you think most mid 20 year olds would handle all that hype??
I think these are outstanding young actors and doing a great job of trying to stay grounded and true to themselves while everyone wants them to BE something. Promote something, Give something.  I can see why they get bored with the same questions, and people trying to pull them in one direction or another.    They made this movie over 18 months ago and
 they are not the characters they play!   They also are not trying to make a stand on any idological  adjenda---they are trying to promote an entertainment movie, with questionable content for mainstream America--I think they are doing one heck of a job, esp. considering they all have other irons in the fire, and have other movies to promote too.

I agree that Jake's statements can be taken differently by different people, but there is an awful lot of pressure surrounding this movie, and if they would have known about all the controversy, and all the viewpoints---I can see where they would have felt too much distraction to do the job right and be hesitant to take up something like it again too soon.   It would have been tough for them to act natural if they would have realized how under a microscope their every scene would be.
I thought Oprah did a good job of letting them be entertaining, and still keep the focus on the movie, and NOT get all the mid American conservatives that watch her every day upset.
The promotion the movie got today is irreplacable.    Where Oprah goes, most of middle America is willing to follow.

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2006, 02:12 AM »
Hi all, saw the interview late but really enjoyed it. I thought that it was too short and I would have definitely liked to have seen them answer some more in depth question...however, I thought the chemistry between Jake and Heath was amazing. Michelle and Heath are like one person they are so similar (very cute) whereas Jake and Heath are such polar opposites that they have a lot of sizzle (from my perspective anyway), or as Jake says 'they're kind of a ying and yang that makes a whole. I think they did well overall. Parts I didn't like: the way Oprah said Jake kissing Anne must have been such a relief after 'kissing him' (meaning Heath). Poor Heath. Jeez. I mean what sane person wouldn't love kissing Heath  ;). Parts I liked: Some of the humour was great, especially Heath talking about having 'something else to give' in the tent scene. Hilarious  :D Also loved the 'Jack Nasty loves you' comment. Anne is hilarious too.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2006, 04:51 AM »
the link doesn't work anymore.....just fyi
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline francis.shim

• aka Jack Nasty who loves you!!!
  • Alma
  • Brokeback Mountain, I swear...
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2006, 08:00 AM »
I thought the cast from BBM did a great job, but Oprah was too
time-constrained to really give BBM a fuller treatment that it should
have received.  I agree that it would have taken an entire show to do it
justice, but given the time I thought the impressions given about the
movie and its cast went over quite well.

Jake was really funny... and, yes, he should do comedy, but doing it
exclusively would not show off his incredible breadth of acting
skills... so I hope he doesn't get type-casted.  He definitely was the
life of the party... so maybe he should have his own talk show!  Gawd...
"Jack Nasty loves you!!!"... that kills!

Heath was much more relaxed and I thought did great with his objection
to so much criticism over how two people should love each other.
Whereas Heath was the shy thinker, it played off well with Jake, being
the "funny guy".  The chemistry really lends itself to the Ennis and
Jack characters that they had to play.

Michelle, she was just adorable.  And, yes, that comment that Heath made
about her being the perfect mom... did you see how she just lit up!  I
also heard that the scene where her character, Alma, inadvertently sees
Ennis and Jack kissing were among the first ones shot!  Did I hear
right?

Anne, now she has a natural persona in the limelight.  I really liked
the way she described Michelle and Heath having sparks... and just died
when she covered her face when Oprah brought up the sex scene with Jake.

Overall, I guess Oprah could not dwell too much on the controversial
aspects since that would have definitely used up the time like
nothing... but she balanced things alright so that people would at least
go and see the movie.

My 2 cents...

Peace,
Frank

Offline coguaro

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2006, 08:22 AM »
Why I cant dowload the video !!! Is it necessary to pay something to the server?

I swear... I will never mistake again...