Author Topic: Official US DVD Press Release  (Read 9096 times)

Offline jakeofrome

• Randall Malone
  • Lureen
Official US DVD Press Release
« on: Mar 20, 2006, 07:49 PM »
[I thought I'd made a new topic of this, hope it's ok]

OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE

'Brokeback Mountain'

A National Phenomenon Capturing the Hearts and Minds of America

Winner of Three Academy Awards(R)* Including an Oscar(R) for Director Ang Lee
This Must-Have DVD Stars Oscar(R) Nominees(R) Heath Ledger and  Jake Gyllenhaal**

Available on April 4, 2006 From Universal Studios Home Entertainment

'The Best Film of the Year!' - Joel Siegel, 'Good Morning America'

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., March 20

Academy Award(R) nominees Heath Ledger ("The Patriot," "Lords of Dogtown") and Jake Gyllenhaal**
("Jarhead," "Donnie Darko") star in the seminal film, "Brokeback Mountain," the sweeping epic of two men who forge an intense, secretive bond, available on DVD from Universal Studios Home Entertainment April 4, 2006.  Ang Lee's ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon") skillfully nuanced direction, which earned
him an Academy Award(R), shapes "Brokeback Mountain" into a landmark story that is powerfully affecting.  Also starring Academy Award(R) nominee for Best Supporting Actress Michelle Williams ("The Station Agent," "Prozac Nation") and Anne Hathaway ("Princess Diaries," "Ella Enchanted"), this must-own DVD unfolds against the raw beauty and splendor of the American West.

Pulitzer Prize-winning author Larry McMurtry ("Lonesome Dove," "Terms of Endearment") and his collaborator Diana Ossana ("Johnson County War") adapted the brilliant Academy Award(R)-winning script from a short story by Annie Proulx, herself a Pulitzer Prize-winning author.  The film's haunting
soundtrack features performances by Willie Nelson, Emmylou Harris and Rufus Wainwright, among others.

"As one of the most talked-about movies of the year, 'Brokeback Mountain' has not only established a new benchmark in filmmaking but it has also permeated the public consciousness to an unprecedented level," commented Craig Kornblau, President, Universal Studios Home Entertainment.  "We are confident
that this DVD will profoundly resonate among consumers and that it will quickly become an integral part of every DVD collection."

Winner of three Academy Awards(R), including Best Director (Lee), Best Adapted Screenplay (McMurtry & Ossana) and Best Original Score (Gustavo Santaolalla), "Brokeback Mountain" tells the story of Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal), two young men dispatched to work as sheepherders up on the majestic "Brokeback Mountain" in the summer of 1963.

During their experience, Ennis and Jack are drawn into an unexpected life-long relationship, filled with love and loss. 

The DVD is priced at $29.98 SRP.

Mountains of Praise for One of Year's Best Films

Hailed as a landmark film and lauded by critics everywhere for the fearlessly emotional performances of its stars, "Brokeback Mountain" captures the passion, heartbreak and regret that mark the life-long bond between two men.  Peter Travers of Rolling Stone raves "Hits you like a shot in the heart.
This classic in the making ranks high on the list of the year's best movies."
A.M. Homes of Vanity Fair calls it "An instant classic" and Joel Siegel of "Good Morning America" praised it as "The Best Film of the Year!"  "Heath Ledger's wrenching performance is the stuff of Hollywood history," writes Manohla Dargis in The New York Times.  David Ansen of Newsweek says "Brokeback
Mountain" is "Played with great imploded passion by Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger."

Synopsis

"Brokeback Mountain" is a sweeping epic that explores the lives of two young men, a ranch-hand and a rodeo cowboy, who meet in the summer of 1963, and unexpectedly forge a lifelong connection.  The complications, joys, and heartbreak they experience provide a testament to the endurance and power of
love.  Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal deliver emotionally charged, remarkably moving performances in "a movie that is destined to become one of the great classics of our time" (Clay Smith, "The Insider").

For more information please visit: http://www.brokebackmountain.com.

CAST & FILMMAKERS

Director:  Ang Lee
Written By:  Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana, based on the short story by Annie Proulx
Produced By:  Diana Ossana, James Schamus
Executive Producers:  William Pohlad, Larry McMurtry, Michael Costigan, Michael Hausman
Executive Producer:  Alberta Film Entertainment
Co-Producer:  Scott Ferguson
Director of Photography:  Rodrigo Prieto, ASC, AMC
Production Designer:  Judy Becker
Edited By:  Geraldine Peroni, Dylan Tichenor, ACE
Music By:  Gustavo Santaolalla
Costume Designer:  Marit Allen
Cast:  Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, Linda Cardellini, Anna Faris, Anne Hathaway, Michelle Williams, and Randy Quaid

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
DVD

Street Date:  April 4, 2006
Copyright:  2006 Universal Studios. All Rights Reserved.
Price:  $29.98 SRP
Selection Number:  26315 (Widescreen); 26316 (Full Frame)
Running Time:  2 Hours 15 Minutes
Layers:  Dual
Aspect Ratio:  1.85:1 (Anamorphic Widescreen); 1.33:1 (Full Frame)
Rating:  R (for sexuality, nudity, language and some violence)
Technical Info:  English and French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround;
English SDH; French and Spanish Subtitles

* Academy Award(R) Winner Best Director (Ang Lee), Best Adapted Screenplay
(Larry McMurtry & Diana Ossana) and Best Original Score (Gustavo Santaolalla)
** Academy Award(R) nominated for Best Actor (Heath Ledger) and for Best
Supporting Actor (Jake Gyllenhaal)

http://www.brokebackmountain.com

SOURCE Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Web Site: http://www.universalstudios.com
"I loved it. Shocking. Surprising. The guy who financed my movie did that too. He's a very mild mannered chap from Minnesota and we'd just screened the latest cut of my film and he asked if I wanted to see it. I was thinking, 'OK, this really square, straight guy,' and he showed me this movie. It's amazing.

"They're really good those boys and they did a great job. It's very brave of them."

Offline BBBOY

• Brokeback Junkie
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Ya know I ain't straight Me neither
Re: Official US DVD Press Release
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2006, 08:52 PM »
Ya know, I think sales of the Brokeback Mountain DVD are gonna blow the socks off of certain people in Hollywood. These losers, who missed the point and denied the movie their sorry reward can now wallow in their own hate and bile and choke on the money lost. Sorry, I'm not a violent man but I am a passionate one and your post just raised a whole lot of emotion I have for this movie. Nough said.
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Ennis, riding against the wind back to the sheep in the treacherous, drunken darken light, thought he'd never had such a good time, felt he could paw the white out of the moon.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2006, 09:05 PM »
Thanks, jackofrome.

Preview of BBM DVD.

Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2006, 10:06 PM »
Ya know, I think sales of the Brokeback Mountain DVD are gonna blow the socks off of certain people in Hollywood. These losers, who missed the point and denied the movie their sorry reward can now wallow in their own hate and bile and choke on the money lost. Sorry, I'm not a violent man but I am a passionate one and your post just raised a whole lot of emotion I have for this movie. Nough said.

Nothing you said warrants an apology.  BBM was robbed as Best Picture, and now its time to rob the winner!
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline proulxfan

• Alma
  • " You know I ain't queer!"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2006, 11:39 PM »
Yes, it will be interesting to compare sales figures for BBM vs Crash. Time will tell.
Jack: " Nice to know you, Ennis Del Mar."

Miss Nice

« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2006, 12:30 PM »
I found this at CNN text (page 131). It must be brand new. Wasn't there a couple of hour ago:

========

’BROKEBACK’ IN THE COMFORT OF HOME

Those who have yet to see “Brokeback Mountain”, or those looking to see it again, will soon have a choice. The DVD will hit stores April 4, even with the film still in theatrical release.

That’s a rare overlap, said a spokeswoman for DVD distributor Universal Studios Home Entertainment. But, she wxplained, with the film still ridimng high on its eight Academy Award nominations and three Oscar wins, its thater run has been extended, bumping into the scheduled DVD release. The DVD is expected to sell for $29.98.

========

I typed it from the tv screen. I will post it in the news coverage thead as well... if it's not htere already...

Katie

Offline jakeofrome

• Randall Malone
  • Lureen
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:13 AM »
The official website for the movie http://www.brokebackmountain.com
has been updated with info about the DVD release and a "Send A Postcard" feature
"I loved it. Shocking. Surprising. The guy who financed my movie did that too. He's a very mild mannered chap from Minnesota and we'd just screened the latest cut of my film and he asked if I wanted to see it. I was thinking, 'OK, this really square, straight guy,' and he showed me this movie. It's amazing.

"They're really good those boys and they did a great job. It's very brave of them."

Offline Patriot1

• BBM. What could possibly top it?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • In loving memory of Matthew Shepard 1976 - 1998
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2006, 10:31 AM »
The ad for the DVD says:

DVD
Anamorphic Widescreen
English, French, English SDH (Subtitled), French (Subtitled), Spanish (Subtitled)
R
Snap Case

But when I looked up the word Anamorphic I get this:

Main Entry: ana·mor·phic
Pronunciation: "a-n&-'mor-fik
Function: adjective
Etymology: New Latin anamorphosis distorted optical image
: producing, relating to, or marked by intentional distortion (as by unequal magnification along perpendicular axes) of an image <an anamorphic lens>

What does it mean the image is distorted? Unequal magnification?  I am not understanding.  Wasn't the movie filmed in wide screen?

Tell you what...truth is, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it...

Love is a force of nature.

Offline gambrinus

• Alma Jr.
  • Gone, but never forgotten
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2006, 11:03 AM »
The image is only distorted (squashed) while it's stored on the disc. When the DVD player plays it back, it stretches the picture back to the correct size. It'll look fine.
Large was his bounty, and his soul sincere,
Heaven did a recompense as largely send:
He gave to Misery (all he had) a tear,
He gained from Heaven ('twas all he wished) a friend.

Offline lamusica

• Ennis
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2006, 12:34 PM »
I'm not sure where to post this, but, I was amazed to see that our local Walmart had packaged our DVD with ..Spotless Mind ( two for one special) and si selling the two for $14.95!!!  What's with this????!!!!
"Let's put a SSSSMILE on your faceeee!"

Offline carlton5

• Lureen
« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Figure they boxed them together as Spotless' plot outline in part states.....but it is only through the process of loss that they discover what they had to begin with.... In this context it is apropos to box them together I guess as that statement so readily describes BBM-- Thank God they didnt box *rash and BBM together-Now that would be a complete insult !!

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

• BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2006, 05:35 PM »
You said it carlton5.  Talk about a slap in the face!
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline lamusica

• Ennis
« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2006, 10:33 AM »
Thanks, Canton.  That makes sense.  I had seen Spotless, but didn't care for it and let it slip away from my mind, so I didn't see any connection between the two films.   

Offline carlton5

• Lureen
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2006, 08:50 PM »
no hay de que, la musica- havent been to a wal mart for awhile - so dont know if they have them boxed together in my area or not-maybe the thought of two movies for one price will entice even more people to discover the awesomness of BBM

Offline lamusica

• Ennis
« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2006, 12:54 PM »
Es verdad, Carlton.Nosotros queremos que mas gente ven la pelicula.

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #15 on: Aug 31, 2006, 01:07 PM »
English please...thankx
Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)