Author Topic: Flashback scene - spoiler  (Read 118521 times)

Offline BBM Fan

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1385
  • Gender: Female
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #180 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:11 AM »
I haven't heard the soundtrack but, from what I've read here, it sounds very sad.  :\'(

I love the soundtrack.  The music is beautiful & you can see each scene as each song plays.  You really should get it  - you can hear samples on amazon

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #181 on: Jan 17, 2007, 08:14 AM »
I agree, Thomas!  I'm listening to that score as I type this.  I think Brokeback Mountain 3 is the saddest of the three BBM on the soundtrack.  As I said before in other thresd, the Dozy Embrace is my favorite scene from the entire movie.  It makes me feel warm on the inside but makes me cry too.  It is indeed bittersweet.

3 is indeed very moving.  The instrumental pieces get to me all the time, most especially in the part that coincides with the Dozy Embrace.  "Bittersweet" is the word.


Offline carbyville

  • Huh?
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 11181
  • Gender: Female
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #182 on: Jan 17, 2007, 02:26 PM »
3 is indeed very moving.  The instrumental pieces get to me all the time, most especially in the part that coincides with the Dozy Embrace.  "Bittersweet" is the word.



Same here, Thomas. 3 is my favorite but also the one that gets to me the most.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #183 on: Jan 17, 2007, 02:34 PM »
The flashback would not be the same without the music, given that few words were exchanged that reflected the emotional crest of this scene.  Like the music, the ascent from the abyss of the last meeting confrontation to the moment of remembrance is breathtaking. The music sweeps over us.  It mirrors how we feel.

 

Offline JT

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3954
  • Gender: Male
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #184 on: Jan 21, 2007, 12:59 PM »
The flashback would not be the same without the music, given that few words were exchanged that reflected the emotional crest of this scene.  Like the music, the ascent from the abyss of the last meeting confrontation to the moment of remembrance is breathtaking. The music sweeps over us.  It mirrors how we feel.

 

Just listening to BBM 3 makes my tear up and think about that scene every time.  The string instraments and the acoustic guitar sound so good as one follows the other.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #185 on: Jan 22, 2007, 10:05 AM »
Just listening to BBM 3 makes my tear up and think about that scene every time.  The string instraments and the acoustic guitar sound so good as one follows the other.

Yes, the entry of the guitar at the heart of the flashback scene and the succeeding arpeggios are so in keeping with the spirit and beauty of the overall scene.  It is at that point that I normally tear up.


Offline JT

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3954
  • Gender: Male
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #186 on: Jan 23, 2007, 05:24 PM »
Yes, the entry of the guitar at the heart of the flashback scene and the succeeding arpeggios are so in keeping with the spirit and beauty of the overall scene.  It is at that point that I normally tear up.



Heck, I'm tearing up as read this. 

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #187 on: Jan 23, 2007, 05:35 PM »
The music that accompnies this scene is really one of the great wonders of this movie, no?  Once it starts when Ennis says "Then why don't you...", it never lets up.  And it continues up until see Jack looking sad and tired as Ennis drives off.  The emotional highpoint is made to coincide with the moment in the flashback scene when Ennis starts to hum to Jack.  At that point, you are totally lost in a sea of conflicting emotions.  Like the music, that moment has so much sadness and beauty.


Offline JT

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3954
  • Gender: Male
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #188 on: Jan 23, 2007, 07:06 PM »
Agreed!  The string part is full of sadness and confusion while the guitar part is more of a comfort that is tinged with a hint of murkiness and uncertainty.  That's how BBM 3 sounds to me.  And yes, the whole score was played on that scene and even the last two notes continued on to the next scene of Ennis eating pie.  It's the conflicting of two powerful emotions that gets to me.  You have to appriciate the composer's ability to paint the scene with his music.  It add so much to that already powerful and sad scene.

greenfrog

  • Guest
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #189 on: Jan 24, 2007, 02:02 AM »


This is a beautiful picture Thomas  :^^)

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #190 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:33 AM »
Thanks greenfrog.  :)

Agreed!  The string part is full of sadness and confusion while the guitar part is more of a comfort that is tinged with a hint of murkiness and uncertainty.  That's how BBM 3 sounds to me.  And yes, the whole score was played on that scene and even the last two notes continued on to the next scene of Ennis eating pie.  It's the conflicting of two powerful emotions that gets to me.  You have to appriciate the composer's ability to paint the scene with his music.  It add so much to that already powerful and sad scene.

JT, you said it nicely.  The string and guitar sections mirror the bittersweet dichotomy of the flashback scene. 

The last part of the music also reflects the misery of the current situation, especially when compared with the flashback scene.  Jack's tired and wan look is coupled with Ennis's dejection after the meeting (to be compunded by his breakup with Cassie).  I think the music unified and integrated beautifully the flashback scene with both the preceding and succeeding scenes of intense sadness and dejection.  The flashback scene acted as a visual and aural high point that carried us upward -- above all the pain and confusion of the present -- for a brief but meaningful moment.


Offline JT

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3954
  • Gender: Male
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #191 on: Jan 24, 2007, 03:51 PM »
Thanks greenfrog.  :)

JT, you said it nicely.  The string and guitar sections mirror the bittersweet dichotomy of the flashback scene. 

The last part of the music also reflects the misery of the current situation, especially when compared with the flashback scene.  Jack's tired and wan look is coupled with Ennis's dejection after the meeting (to be compunded by his breakup with Cassie).  I think the music unified and integrated beautifully the flashback scene with both the preceding and succeeding scenes of intense sadness and dejection.  The flashback scene acted as a visual and aural high point that carried us upward -- above all the pain and confusion of the present -- for a brief but meaningful moment.



You're absolutely right, TPE.  I see the flashback scene as an island of true happiness surrounded by a sea of sarrow.  It's a brief moment of time that Jack clings on to for the rest of his life since. 

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #192 on: Jan 24, 2007, 04:35 PM »
You're absolutely right, TPE.  I see the flashback scene as an island of true happiness surrounded by a sea of sarrow.  It's a brief moment of time that Jack clings on to for the rest of his life since. 

It is an island of ecstasy in the last scenes of BBM, no?  And yet, because of it being surrounded by all the sadness and death, we are moved by it all the more, and see it in a deeper, more poigniant light.


Offline hpv

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 13304
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #193 on: Feb 18, 2007, 01:16 PM »
OH,  Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack, the flashback...just a perfect shot..wonderful acting  <^(
It's like a dream...in slowmotion.  sigh..

"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline Tom

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7656
  • Gender: Male
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #194 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:19 PM »
hpv, this is the very picture I have on my phone screensaver and wallpaper. I think for a closeted man it is very brave of me, but I love this picture and scene so much that if someone sees it....well frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!  :)
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline lamusica

  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1874
  • Gender: Female
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #195 on: Feb 19, 2007, 06:38 PM »
You're safe here, Tom.  No one will tell. :8 :8 :8
"Let's put a SSSSMILE on your faceeee!"

Offline hpv

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 13304
  • Country: il
  • Gender: Female
  • Anything interesting up there in heaven?
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #196 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:20 AM »
Oh, Tom ,honey, I'm so glad that we have this picture to share with, it's one of the images that follow me since
I've seen this amazing movie..!

 A closeup..

"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close,the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."
"I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #197 on: Feb 20, 2007, 08:39 AM »
OT: I should try to see the pix in question after work...

I have a visual image of the flashback scene that also follows me, figuratively speaking.  For me, this scene is the most haunting one in the entire movie.


Offline Tom

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 7656
  • Gender: Male
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #198 on: Feb 20, 2007, 03:30 PM »
If you look up the word Bliss in a dictionary...it should just show this picture  <^(
Actually, "life does get better than this"

Offline Mars

  • Red Planet
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 111235
  • Country: it
  • Gender: Male
  • Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal 2 actors 1 legend
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #199 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:12 PM »
OT: I should try to see the pix in question after work...

I have a visual image of the flashback scene that also follows me, figuratively speaking.  For me, this scene is the most haunting one in the entire movie.



For me too,indeed!!

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #200 on: Feb 20, 2007, 05:25 PM »
For me too,indeed!!

I am sure you will also agree with me Mars whenm I say that it is the most beautiful.  :)


Offline JT

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3954
  • Gender: Male
  • Brokeback? Mountain? My home this is!
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #201 on: Mar 19, 2007, 06:13 PM »
I am sure you will also agree with me Mars whenm I say that it is the most beautiful.  :)



Well, I definately agree with you TPE.  Beautiful and haunting.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #202 on: Mar 20, 2007, 07:22 AM »
Well, I definately agree with you TPE.  Beautiful and haunting.

Thanks JT.  The scene has the effect of lifting you up to the heights.  But interestingly enough, you are lifted with tears in your eyes.


Offline Mars

  • Red Planet
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 111235
  • Country: it
  • Gender: Male
  • Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal 2 actors 1 legend
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #203 on: Mar 20, 2007, 07:43 AM »
I am sure you will also agree with me Mars whenm I say that it is the most beautiful.  :)



Yes,Thomas, no doubts at all!!! O0

Offline welshwitch

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 6480
  • Gender: Female
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #204 on: Mar 20, 2007, 02:16 PM »
It's beautiful partly because we know what comes later - like most happiness, this is transient. You want to shout at them, "Make the most of it. You don't know what you've got, and for how short a time."

Carpe diem.

But also et in Arcadia ego.

manhattangirl

  • Guest
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #205 on: Mar 20, 2007, 06:27 PM »



IMO:

Why this is so beautiful, this the most fearless moment in their lives.

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #206 on: Mar 27, 2007, 07:57 AM »
IMO:

Why this is so beautiful, this the most fearless moment in their lives.

Fearless, and so contented...

Offline chameau

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 28148
  • Gender: Male
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #207 on: Mar 28, 2007, 12:12 AM »
I can't watch this scene or watching a picture from it without having teary eyes.  This picture below is from Jerome, a member who posted only a few times and I helped him in hosting it on photobucket



Now I'm dying to get one of these, looking at the surrounding it looks quite big.
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline dodoLea

  • Brokeback got us good
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 5885
  • Gender: Female
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #208 on: Mar 28, 2007, 03:39 AM »
This is the right moment where the tears start to go down on my cheeks....what a beauty,what a perfect moment for both of them...you're all right, it's a fearless and so contented moment...each time I wonder if I could have a moment like this in my life, oh my!! I hope so!  :)
If we make a poem of celebration,it has to include a lot of darkness for it to be real - Robert Hass
http://www.myspace.com/dodolea

Offline tpe

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 96691
Re: Flashback scene of Ennis and Jack
« Reply #209 on: Mar 28, 2007, 07:29 AM »
This is the right moment where the tears start to go down on my cheeks....what a beauty,what a perfect moment for both of them...you're all right, it's a fearless and so contented moment...each time I wonder if I could have a moment like this in my life, oh my!! I hope so!  :)

Yes, for me this is the emotional high point in an otherwise sad and difficult end.  It is the one thing that saves us from despair...