Author Topic: Your Thought & Reaction from Golden Globe  (Read 39466 times)

Offline tpe

• Jack + Ennis
Re: Your Thought & Reaction from Golden Globe
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:09 AM »
To answer dougl's question, the thing that rhymes with Chick Flick is "Dick Flick", right?

Yes.

A rather strange 'joke' -- an attempt at humour that was not very smart, IMO.

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
  • Could be like this.. just like this - ALWAYS!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:13 AM »
that was lame and offending!!  >:(
"Sometimes I miss you SO MUCH I can hardly stand it" - Jack <3

RIP Heath ♥ Heath, I swear...

BrokeBack Mountain is the BEST! It has won the Oscar of my heart!

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
  • No longer using this account: frog123
« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:15 AM »
YOU CAN WATCH ANG ...and other winners at the press conference following the GG...

Ang starts.."Any questions?" he look so shy!!!

Support bacteria, they are the only culture some people have!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.
~ Michel Eyquem de Montaigne (1533-1592) ~ (Thankx to gimmejack)

Offline dirtbiker

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #33 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:43 AM »
Does anybody know what McCormick's "Brokeback is sooooo HILARIOUS" really meant?  I really don't get it.  He looked a bit confused or drunk when he said that in the preGG segment.

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #34 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:45 AM »
I was ecstatic that BBM won the awards it did and was literally jumping up and down. They definitely deserved the awards they got and I only wish that Heath's groundbreaking performance was reckognized with a Golden Globes. Well, there's always the Oscars and as one of my friends pointed out maybe the man that won for Capote got the award in part because he was getting on in his years and it was one of the last chances to earn an Oscar whereas Heath still has his whole career in front of him. Still, I share Toadily's sentiment of "which performace will be remembered in 10 years, hmm?"

Ang's speech was so touching, as was Diana's and I only wish Jake had been able to attend, I know he would have wanted to.

I was pretty much outraged by Dennis Quaid introduction, isn't the point of the 'for your consideration' person to illuminate the greatness of the movie, not to belittle it?

Hey froggy..hope you got some sleep last night. I feel the same way. I gotta run to a class and will follow up later when I get time. I saw the tape briefly this morning as I was getting ready to leave. Ang speech brought my tears again.

You could feel BBM was an emotional ride for the production. Dennis Quaid  >:( -- not cool.

I thought it is wonderful for Ang to get the Best Director from Clint Eastwood - one of the cowboy icons.
Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2006, 11:59 AM »
Yes I did get some sleep....a good 2 hours!!! :-  Almost did not hear my alarm...I had asked a friend to ring me just in case!!!
Great day at work...I loved setting the little brats to do pair work and loads of reading!! They were misbehaving and it was their punition Had to do a couple of listening too...but at least I did not have to *shout* much...did I mention that I gave out 3 detentions... :P ...! Remind me why I teach secondary again?  ???

Ok now you are going to think that I am a tyrant...well I'm not  ;D

Anyway, I lived on coffee and rice cakes all day...now back home, I can relax...watch the GG on E! and pour myself a glass of St Emilion...I shall be going to bed at a decent time too!

If you press me to say why I loved him, I can say no more than because he was he, and I was I.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
  • "Friend, we got ourselves a situation here"
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:12 PM »
Oh it was great  Diana's speech really got to me, when she called the cast her family and like her kids.  And Ang was so gracious saying how all cinema this year was better than before (I agree...)  Sorry about Heath but maybe not....it might work to his advantage later.

Do you think Annie Proulx *might* attend the Oscars? That would be neat.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"
-Pierre Marivaux  The Triumph of Love

"To love an idea is to love it a little more than one should."  -Jean Rostand

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
« Reply #37 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:23 PM »
Oh it was great  Diana's speech really got to me, when she called the cast her family and like her kids.  And Ang was so gracious saying how all cinema this year was better than before (I agree...)  Sorry about Heath but maybe not....it might work to his advantage later.

i wish Annie could attend.. and give a speech when BBM wins best pic of the year  ::)

and i haven't lost faith in Heath.. he could still win that Oscar..

GO HEATH!!!!!

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #38 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:24 PM »

It would indeed...but she refuses to do anymore interviews about BBM!...so not very likely!

Offline BADBRAD

• Love is a force of nature.
  • Alma Jr.
« Reply #39 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:31 PM »
The Globes make me wonder if BBM is indeed the front runner for the Oscars.  I couldn't get over the Homophobia that covered that room.  Heath was robbed. Nothing against Philip S. Hoffman; but Heath deserved the honor.
“You know it could be like this, just like this, always.”

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #40 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:57 PM »
OK peeps..If you wanna see some Golden Globes pix..just browse through the GG thread! I've posted as many as possible and hopefully have not forgotten anyone!

That's all folks!

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2006, 06:42 PM by Frog123 »

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #41 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:59 PM »
The Globes make me wonder if BBM is indeed the front runner for the Oscars.  I couldn't get over the Homophobia that covered that room.  Heath was robbed. Nothing against Philip S. Hoffman; but Heath deserved the honor.

I'm waiting to see Denzel's comment..apparently he looked disappointed! I really wanna see the audience's reactions to the BBM wins!

Offline BADBRAD

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #42 on: Jan 17, 2006, 01:06 PM »

I'm waiting to see Denzel's comment..apparently he looked disappointed! I really wanna see the audience's reactions to the BBM wins!

Funny, I did not notice Denzel; but I noticed that Eastwood had trouble saying Brokeback Mountain.  Makes you kind of wonder if Hollywood is really 'gay friendly.  There are many Gay people of power in Tinseltown; but it has taken so long to get anyting decent with gay characters.  You begin to wonder.  I'm still counting on BBM winning Oscars for Picture, Director and Adapted Screenplay at least;  but I will be disappointed if the enthusiasm continues to be this dreary for it.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #43 on: Jan 17, 2006, 01:10 PM »

Youknow I love Dennis Quaid but his joke was so weird.... 

Funny, I did not notice Denzel; but I noticed that Eastwood had trouble saying Brokeback Mountain.  Makes you kind of wonder if Hollywood is really 'gay friendly.  There are many Gay people of power in Tinseltown; but it has taken so long to get anyting decent with gay characters.  You begin to wonder.  I'm still counting on BBM winning Oscars for Picture, Director and Adapted Screenplay at least;  but I will be disappointed if the enthusiasm continues to be this dreary for it.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2006, 01:30 PM »
i didn't notice Denzel.. i was screaming and jumping up and down.. i bet u all heared me scream!!  ;D

i think am about to rewatch the Globes and start screaming like a crazy person again!! teehehee

i even missed my classes today to stay home and keep partying..  ;D

Offline stationbbm

• Lureen
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2006, 01:48 PM »
To the Dennis Q remark:

Someone please help me with how someone could come out on a stage in front of virtually millions of viewers and make a completely irresponsible, disrespectful, and offensive comment about a film in which his own brother was cast?  Even if you are thinking it, what possesses one to feel compelled to make some type of public remark like that?  The way he delivered the rude remark smacked of arrogance and "I'm so clever to come up with something that folks have to stop and think about".  One can only conjecture that perhaps he and his brother had a falling out over something and so wanted to use the awards forum to get back at his brother?  (Yes, I'm probably stretching for something here.)  Maybe he had too much liquor?  Hmmm....if memory serves me....Isn't it true that during his relationship with Ms. Ryan that there were regular issues with chemical dependence?  A sad testimony to have him stoop to such low extremes for the purposes of a cheap and desperate attempt at humor.  I hope the Academy gently whispers into Mr. DQ's ear that he'd be better off watching the Oscars from home rather than presenting them this year.

stationbbm--No, I'm not bitter....

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:06 PM »
To the Dennis Q remark:

Someone please help me with how someone could come out on a stage in front of virtually millions of viewers and make a completely irresponsible, disrespectful, and offensive comment about a film in which his own brother was cast?  Even if you are thinking it, what possesses one to feel compelled to make some type of public remark like that?  The way he delivered the rude remark smacked of arrogance and "I'm so clever to come up with something that folks have to stop and think about".  One can only conjecture that perhaps he and his brother had a falling out over something and so wanted to use the awards forum to get back at his brother?  (Yes, I'm probably stretching for something here.)  Maybe he had too much liquor?  Hmmm....if memory serves me....Isn't it true that during his relationship with Ms. Ryan that there were regular issues with chemical dependence?  A sad testimony to have him stoop to such low extremes for the purposes of a cheap and desperate attempt at humor.  I hope the Academy gently whispers into Mr. DQ's ear that he'd be better off watching the Oscars from home rather than presenting them this year.

It was weird, I wonder if cause he is in this satirical funny movie coming out he felt he had to be "funny" or something?  I mean it wasn't funny at all. 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline ethan

• Administrator
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:17 PM »
After watching the red carpet and GG awards, I didn't feel that BBM had 7 nominations, the one receiving the most.

I felt BBM was an underdog and finally climbed to the top to snap 4 wins. I don't think GG or the Red Carpet program did a justice for BBM.

Is it just me or everyone else feels the same way?

I have to say - the crew and cast from BBM are very humble and probably told to stay low key (did you see those from Desparate Wives?). The BBM wins last night was pretty much like Ennis's character - unattached most of time and only shined occasionally.

As soon as I heard "gay cowboys" from Dennis Q - I was already upset. He needs to be boooooooooooooooed. Also why did he say BBM as "controversial" movie? 

It may be controvisal but it is not for him to say as a presenter of the movie.

Remembering Pierre (chameau) 1960-2015, a "Capricorn bro and crazy Frog Uncle from the North Pole." You are missed

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #48 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:24 PM »
After watching the red carpet and GG awards, I didn't feel that BBM had 7 nominations, the one receiving the most.

I felt BBM was an underdog and finally climbed to the top to snap 4 wins. I don't think GG or the Red Carpet program did a justice for BBM.

I have to say - the crew and cast from BBM are very humble and probably told to stay low key (did you see those from Desparate Wives?). The BBM wins last night was pretty much like Ennis's character - unattached most of time and only shined occasionally.

As soon as I heard "gay cowboys" from Dennis Q - I was already upset. He needs to be boooooooooooooooed. Also why did he say BBM as "controversial" movie? 

Yes after listening to Shamus comments at the post conference he said that the Golden Lion was a big deal cause they were worried they wouldn't even get noticed and taken seriously.  Can you imagine?  So this is big and they were mature about it, did you see Shamus head go down coyly when someone brought up Oscar?  They can smell it I am sure.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #49 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:31 PM »

I totally agree...about the cast being low key, about stupid comments made, and so on!

I scanned the net for articles...and was very disappointed...now it's not a Gay Movie that sweeps awards, it's a Cowboy Romance...and in most articles, it felt like the writers were saying that BBM should be thankful they had won so many awards already.

I stopped reading articles...when I came across people leaving homophobic comments ...

NB: I also found this on www.oscarwatch.com :

Brokeback's Sweep a Globe Rarity

"For a film to win screenplay, director and picture at the globes is quite rare. It happens, just not very often. The last time was when American Beauty swept most of the awards leading up to the Globes and the Oscars in 1999 (SAG, WGA, DGA, etc). And before that, you have to go back to Schindler's List. And then Dances With Wolves. What do these three films have in common? They also were sweeping most every other award as well. That is some awards heft, folks. Weirdly enough, Born on the Fourth of July also swept but the Oscar went to Driving Miss Daisy. So there is precedent for the film to go on NOT to win the Oscar. It is more likely it will. "

Offline *Froggy*

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #50 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:43 PM »
 Still the winners!

So what, if Michelle and Heath did not win ???

The fact that BBM won best picture and best director...means something. ;D This movie could not have been more beautiful without such great actors!!!

...so to all the morons of the world: http://stfu.eikern.net/?name=homophobes

Offline Aela

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #51 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:46 PM »
Oh, I wanted to slap Dennis Quaid!   >:(

I don't understand why they always have to try to be "funny" at these awards shows anyway.  They never are, no matter how hard people may try!  Just give out the awards and shut up!   ;D
"I was probably no fun anyways, was I?"
--Ennis

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #52 on: Jan 17, 2006, 02:53 PM »
Im 99 percent certain it will win an Oscar, I mean it's an epic for one thing.  Good Night and Good Luck and Walk and Line don't have the sweeping epic quality. And if they accept Jake as a supporting actor I think he is in, HEath is may be tight, but ah...like he doesn't have the damndest great career and life ahead of him regardless.  Ang will also win for sure, for the film and out of respect for his contribution to cinema in general.  Munich isn't that popular a movie and Clooney is a rookie in that. 

Those are my predictions.
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline sweetlilg

• "Jack, I swear..."
  • Ennis
« Reply #53 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:11 PM »
Im 99 percent certain it will win an Oscar, I mean it's an epic for one thing.  Good Night and Good Luck and Walk and Line don't have the sweeping epic quality. And if they accept Jake as a supporting actor I think he is in, HEath is may be tight, but ah...like he doesn't have the damndest great career and life ahead of him regardless.  Ang will also win for sure, for the film and out of respect for his contribution to cinema in general.  Munich isn't that popular a movie and Clooney is a rookie in that. 

Those are my predictions.

ditto!  ;)

JerBear418720

« Reply #54 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:22 PM »
Comments about Heath's not getting the GG:

Many critics felt that Best Actor Drama has not been so hotly contested in many years - to be NOMINATED in a year full of strong male performances was huge!  Many also felt that the race came down to Hoffman and Ledger - that means, informally, Heath came in 2nd - f-ing great for a 26yo who never showed this kind of emotional range and intensity on the screen before.

Comment on Ossana's and Ang Lee's acceptance speeches:

DAMN, these people are classy, classy, classy - such admirable restraint and humility!

Comment on Eric McCormack and Dennis Quaid:

I hope you 2 grow up someday and learn to act like responsible adults instead of twittery goons!

Moving on to the Academy Awards:

Regardless of whether or not Heath wins Best Actor, his was an important, seminal performance that people will still be discussing long after I am fertilizer.  YES, we should all keep the faith, but, remember that many of the great performances of film history did not win Oscars.  Here's some examples:

Bette Davis for All About Eve

Gloria Swanson for Sunset Boulevard

Marlon Brando for Streetcar Named Desire

Audrey Hepburn for Breakfast at Tiffany's

Regardless of your age, I'm sure all of you know 2-3 of these, and these films are all at least 45 YEARS OLD!

The GGs and Oscars are very nice, indeed, but they don't necessarily build legends.  Heath Ledger as Ennis IS film legend in the making, and we've all had the privilege to be here and see it.

Sorry if I sound like a film teacher, but I wanna see  :) :) :) :) :) on those faces, people!

JerBear

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
« Reply #55 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:25 PM »

I don't understand why they always have to try to be "funny" at these awards shows anyway.  They never are, no matter how hard people may try!  Just give out the awards and shut up!   ;D

Yes that was really infuriating. I just can't figure out whether that joke was written by the show writers or made up by Quaid. I can't imagine the show greenlighting such a innappropriate comment but maybe I'm wrong. And even if it was written that way Quaid could have not said it. Very dissapointing.

Offline Toadily

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #56 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:30 PM »

Yes that was really infuriating. I just can't figure out whether that joke was written by the show writers or made up by Quaid. I can't imagine the show greenlighting such a innappropriate comment but maybe I'm wrong. And even if it was written that way Quaid could have not said it. Very dissapointing.

Good question, was that pre-arranged?  I hope not for their sakes. I really do think he thought it was funny and he is in this satirical comedy coming up and wants to be associated with funny.  But ugh what a bomb!  And the thing is he appeared in "Far from Heaven" which was a beautiful movie that addressed homophobia. 
"it's Love, Blockhead!"

Offline ennisandjack

• Alma
« Reply #57 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:42 PM »
Good question, was that pre-arranged?  I hope not for their sakes. I really do think he thought it was funny and he is in this satirical comedy coming up and wants to be associated with funny.  But ugh what a bomb!  And the thing is he appeared in "Far from Heaven" which was a beautiful movie that addressed homophobia. 

Yeah it was really shocking, coming either from the Globe writers or from Quaid. I also agree its probably more likely to have been Quaid's doing but what on earth was he thinking  ???

Otherwise the program was good and I was happy about BBMs wins. However, today I'm feeling kind of let down about Heath and the way the clips/intros were handled. I'm really tired of the jokes already. I want BBM to be treated with respect. Hopefully this will be made up for at the Oscars.

Offline BADBRAD

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #58 on: Jan 17, 2006, 04:07 PM »
To the Dennis Q remark:

It was weird, I wonder if cause he is in this satirical funny movie coming out he felt he had to be "funny" or something?  I mean it wasn't funny at all. 

I almost feel he wasn't trying to be nasty but was trying to be witty; and it backfired on him.

sharve

« Reply #59 on: Jan 17, 2006, 04:13 PM »
One that looked utterly ridiculous was Pamela Anderson. At least she's not from Quebec!