It would also be cold if Jack just let Ennis *stew for a while . I agree with you MG. If Jack could show Ennis in some way that he was not gonna just sit around wringing his hands and waiting, wishing and hoping. maybe he'll get an answer to his devastating dilema. He knows that he has to make life happen. But he knows Ennis's past and does'nt want to be the one opening old wounds for him, Did'nt want to be the one rejecting Ennis and having Ennis crawl back inside his little cocoon. He loved him too much to do that. yet, no one is getting any younger here. Goodness knows Jack has suffered some doozys in the rejection department here. It is now his turn. His time. It's not that he wants it this way but it's his choice now. He loves Ennis, He's waited almost 20 years for a progression of this relationship. Some say "all is fair in love and war" but this hurts. I think this is where Jack was at when he laid Ennis out with words in that last meeting. He had spared Ennis a sense of reponsibility for too long. Sought Ennis out after 4 years apart,Knew his fears, his rsponsibilites to his children. Braved Alma, drove thousands of miles year after lonely year just to have a little peice of time with the man he loved so deeply. and what does he get? a few high altitude f--cks a couple times a year? No no Jack deserved so much more than this . Though he loved Ennis and no doubt always will, but Jack found *more bulls to ride*, more fish in the sea, so to speak. and just happened upon one who wanted him, all of him and gave Jack ,for once ,the choice to accept or reject. Again, I cannot find blame for what Jack did. I agree it took death to wake Ennis up but why? He had to realize before he found those shirts that Jack had done his part. He'd left no doubts about the way he felt about Ennis. Just as Ennis felt Jack belonged to him alone concerning Mexico, Jack expected the same strong sense of commitment from Ennis. To their love affair. If they were in love and Ennis has said aint no reins on this one ..ONE being Jack and the one relationship, ONE love, then what the heck is Jack to think when Ennis won't make a permanant life with him? Comon Ennis actions speak louder than words in this case,There never is going to be another love like this for Ennis am I correct? Randall would have been, with time and patience. What would Ennis say if Jack told Ennis ( in a letter form for safety concerns!)" I love you more than anything , you know that. we can't go on hurting each other like this. I've made my feelings known. You know what I want for us. If you can't bring yourself to do this with me Ennis then I feel we have no choice but to move on with our lives. Try to find happiness with someone else. I can't stand this anymore either. Don't ever wanna hurt you and I'll always love you but these separations just hurts both of us too much. Ennis, I've met someone else, nothing serious yet, but well it could be......etc. Then see what Ennis does then. It would speak volumes. Just a tool for Jack to use to get answers.... maybe the one he wants. To hear Jack actually say it, and to know there is someone waiting in the wings to take over where he left off just might do the trick. Sorry so long but the passion over takes me. My thoughts.