Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes  (Read 644121 times)

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
Re: Heath Ledger - News Articles and Tributes
« Reply #1110 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:28 AM »
Watched the AFI Awards (Australian Film Industry Awards) and Heath won Best International Actor.   :clap:

"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
  • There will never be another Heath
« Reply #1111 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:34 AM »
Watched the AFI Awards (Australian Film Industry Awards) and Heath won Best International Actor.   :clap:

Did anyone accept the award on his behalf?
The truth is... sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it.

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #1112 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:39 AM »
Me too, Pauline.  I turned down a date to stay in and watch the AFIs, and of course seeing Heath's family collect his hugely-deserved award for Best International Actor was more than worth it.  I shed tears throughout the whole thing -- as he was honoured while clips from his films were shown, when his name was announced, when his mother and sister spoke....  It was all so very emotional.  Both greatly joyous and poignantly sad.   :) :\'(

I can only imagine how an Oscar win is going to affect us all...

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #1113 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:41 AM »
Did anyone accept the award on his behalf?

Oh yes, Keren.  His mother, father and sister accepted it for him, and his mum Sally and sister Kate spoke beautifully in their praise of him.  His sister was fighting tears and it was so hard to watch.   :\'(  Nevertheless, their fierce pride shone right through, and it was a beautiful thing.  :)

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1114 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:44 AM »
This was posted on POPSUGAR (i don't really know what this site is), I'm not posting the direct link because it included photos of Matilda but I liked what they wrote.

Biggest Headline Of 2008: RIP Heath Ledger

We've been counting down the most shocking headlines of 2008...

On January 22, 2008 we all learned a lesson about the tragic side of fame when we learned Heath Ledger had passed away of an apparent overdose that morning. As fans old and new alike tried to make sense of it and scramble for bits of information, the heartbreaking truth set in: we had lost one of the greatest actors of our time. He was a father, a son, a partner. He was known as a devoted actor and a kind person. He is still missed, he will be missed.

By the end of the 22nd, the details were still unknown but there were many theories being floated — some about Mary-Kate Olsen, though her involvement was never confirmed and the investigation is closed. His death was ruled an accident. A lethal combination of prescription drugs was found in his body.

His friends and colleagues in Hollywood had only kind words and family released a statement saying: "Heath has touched so many people on so many different levels during his short life but few had the pleasure of truly knowing him. He was a down to earth, generous, kind-hearted, life-loving and selfless individual who was extremely inspirational to many."

Michelle released a heartbreaking statement saying, "My heart is broken. I am the mother of the most tender-hearted, high-spirited, beautiful little girl who is the spitting image of her father." In early February, Michelle joined Heath's family and loved ones for a beautiful celebration of his life and memorial service in Australia. It was the first most beautiful smile we saw on Michelle's face since the tragic loss.

We took a look back on his life through classic images and his fans — whether their favorite of his movies was 10 Things I Hate About You or Brokeback Mountain — reminisced about their favorite moments through tributes. There were hundreds of reasons, explanations and theories about why he passed away, but in the end the truth was just that he was gone too soon.

As the cold began to thaw in New York, we saw Michelle and Matilda emerge in Brooklyn for their happy walks and Michelle's carefully and radiantly stepped back onto the red carpet. In his hometown a theater was named in his honor, as was the scholarship set up in his name with Michelle making the first contribution.

In mid-July, The Dark Knight hit theaters to immense praise and broke box office record after box office record making upwards of $400 million already. It is slated for rerelease in early January 2009. Easily the most beloved movie of the Summer and perhaps best superhero movie of all time crowds gathered to see it again and again, constantly in awe of Heath's incredible performance.

The investigation into his death officially ended in early August, and in September his family chose to leave his estate to Matilda. Fellow actors Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell, the actors who took over Heath Ledger's role in his final movie The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus are donating their profits to Matilda.

Through his memorable performances especially The Dark Knight an Oscar contender, Heath's memory will not be forgotten. Michelle's grief breaks our hearts, but his beautiful mini me continues to grow and smile helping Heath's legacy live on.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1115 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:46 AM »
Oh yes, Keren.  His mother, father and sister accepted it for him, and his mum Sally and sister Kate spoke beautifully in their praise of him.  His sister was fighting tears and it was so hard to watch.   :\'(  Nevertheless, their fierce pride shone right through, and it was a beautiful thing.  :)

I can imagine how hard it was to watch, I tear up just from reading what you wrote here  :\'(. I'd still like to watch it though, I hope it'll surface on youtube soon... if anybody finds a link, please post it here.

Offline Asali

• Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1116 on: Dec 06, 2008, 09:00 AM »
I had only just arrived home as my son rang me to say Heath had won the award so I only saw it as his mum and sister accepted the award but I was getting emotional watching. :\'(  I agree, it was beautiful.
"People's minds are like parachutes. To function properly they must first be open." - W.G.P.

It use to feel like a mass of dots. But more and more these days, I feel like we're all connected. (Latter Days)

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #1117 on: Dec 06, 2008, 12:17 PM »
     Havin a rough go this mornin.  An seein this all over, about Heath winning that award.  A fresh new wound.  Or maybe its the old one broke open again.  The one in my heart.  Reminded again he is no longer here and how much colder the world seems now.  Gonna be a long winter.

Aww, honey here's a big hug for you.  :ghug:  I know how sadness over Heath can really make worse an already rough day.  And although it's summer here now, I know January is gonna feel metaphorically colder for me regardless of the heat.  And the 22nd is surely going to be Arctic-kinda-cold.   :\'(

:ghug: Hugs for all who need them.

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1118 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:41 AM »
Ledger’s family pay tearful tribute at AFI awards
7th December 2008, 8:00 WST

Heath Ledger’s family paid a teary tribute to the Aussie actor in accepting an AFI award on behalf of his “precious Matilda”.

Ledger was posthumously given the Australian Film Institute’s international award for best actor for his virtuoso performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight.

“It was this swaggering, psychopathic clown that turned his career into a legacy and the name Heath Ledger into an ongoing inspiration to actors everywhere,” the AFI said at the glittering awards ceremony on Saturday night. “He was the untamed spirit many of us wish we could be. May the legend live on.”

see entire story

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=23&ContentID=111872
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1119 on: Dec 07, 2008, 06:43 AM »
Ledger’s family pay tearful tribute at AFI awards
7th December 2008, 8:00 WST

Heath Ledger’s family paid a teary tribute to the Aussie actor in accepting an AFI award on behalf of his “precious Matilda”.

Ledger was posthumously given the Australian Film Institute’s international award for best actor for his virtuoso performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight.

“It was this swaggering, psychopathic clown that turned his career into a legacy and the name Heath Ledger into an ongoing inspiration to actors everywhere,” the AFI said at the glittering awards ceremony on Saturday night. “He was the untamed spirit many of us wish we could be. May the legend live on.”

see entire story

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=23&ContentID=111872

Linda posted the link to the youtube video in another thread, I can't stop crying after watching this. Especially when listening to his sister Kate. :\'(

babytammy7

« Reply #1120 on: Dec 07, 2008, 09:59 AM »
Linda posted the link to the youtube video in another thread, I can't stop crying after watching this. Especially when listening to his sister Kate. :\'(

I know Keren......

I can't stop watching it, and I cry harder every time. My heart is so broken.

I was doing it ok, but then Caton said "Ladies and gentlemen the unforgettable Heath Ledger", and I lost it.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

When I heard his voice in that scene of Candy with BBM's music playing on the background I couldn't even breathe, and then there was Ennis....and then his beautiful family fighting the tears... :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

“We are immensely proud of him, not only for his professional achievements but in the way he truly cherished his family, friends and his precious Matilda,”   :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1121 on: Dec 07, 2008, 11:52 AM »
(((((((Tammy)))))))

There are a few lines from "My Immortal" that keeps playing again and again in my head:

These wounds wont seem to heal,
This pain is just too real,
There's just too much that time cannot erase...

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #1122 on: Dec 08, 2008, 01:09 AM »
I wondered about that too but I think they're tattoos, you can also see them in his portrait.

Thank's Keren, you're right!  For instance, I only saw the dragonfly part on his right arm, because I only saw him with short-sleeves on.  I didn't realize all of that design was done.  I love that whole design.  I don't know who that old codger guy is, the other tattoo, on his other arm.

I had seen this painting of course, but didn't really zero in on all the tattoos.

Well, it looks like he wasn't planning on doing any more shirtless scenes in movies, darn it!

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #1123 on: Dec 08, 2008, 01:24 AM »
(((((((Tammy)))))))

There are a few lines from "My Immortal" that keeps playing again and again in my head:

These wounds wont seem to heal,
This pain is just too real,
There's just too much that time cannot erase...

((((Keren)))) Those lines from that haunting song are so very apt.

I was going to use My Immortal in a BBM tribute for my Heath YouTube channel the other day, but haven't got round to making it yet.  Hopefully soon, though...

The wounds really don't seem to heal.  Like Michelle Williams said, in many ways they just get worse.   :\'( :\'( :\'(

....Sorry to be a Debbie downer, guys... it just still hurts so much.

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2008, 03:03 AM by LauraLedger »

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #1124 on: Dec 08, 2008, 01:30 AM »
Thank's Keren, you're right!  For instance, I only saw the dragonfly part on his right arm, because I only saw him with short-sleeves on.  I didn't realize all of that design was done.  I love that whole design.  I don't know who that old codger guy is, the other tattoo, on his other arm.

I had seen this painting of course, but didn't really zero in on all the tattoos.

Well, it looks like he wasn't planning on doing any more shirtless scenes in movies, darn it!

kathy

Damn!  Shirtless Heath is always a treat.   <^(

I'm desperate to know who the codger is, too.  Whoever he may be, I must say I love it.  I love every single one of his tattoos. They never had the power to detract from his beauty...conversely, I think they added to it.  Little snippets showing us part of his soul and who he was.

Ohhh, Heath...   :\'(  <^(

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
« Reply #1125 on: Dec 08, 2008, 01:35 AM »

Thank you for this.  I am in tears, of course.  A beautiful tribute piece, and his beautiful family...

kathy
They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #1126 on: Dec 08, 2008, 12:44 PM »
    Am not sure exactly what the old man tattoo is about, but, FWIW, one of Heath's favorite songs was "Old man, take a look at my life", I think, by Neal Young.  What is surprising there is that it's not a very "hip" song, and, in taverns, was mostly played on the juke box by someone alone and melancholy.  It had a reputation, among men, of being a song you would listen to on the radio, but wouldn't be caught dead, enjoying it with male friends.  Very simplistic, touching a raw male nerve, and way too sentimental, for some.  First 2 lines:
   "Old man, take a look at my life, I'm a lot like you....
    I need someone to love me the whole day through...."
 I don't know if the tattoo references the song; I do know Heath's love for the song was very strong, completely unlike most of his other favorites, and it took a lot of stubborness to admit his liking it, because, for guys, it touched, as I said, a primitive, raw nerve.

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1127 on: Dec 08, 2008, 02:13 PM »
    Am not sure exactly what the old man tattoo is about, but, FWIW, one of Heath's favorite songs was "Old man, take a look at my life", I think, by Neal Young.  What is surprising there is that it's not a very "hip" song, and, in taverns, was mostly played on the juke box by someone alone and melancholy.  It had a reputation, among men, of being a song you would listen to on the radio, but wouldn't be caught dead, enjoying it with male friends.  Very simplistic, touching a raw male nerve, and way too sentimental, for some.  First 2 lines:
   "Old man, take a look at my life, I'm a lot like you....
    I need someone to love me the whole day through...."
 I don't know if the tattoo references the song; I do know Heath's love for the song was very strong, completely unlike most of his other favorites, and it took a lot of stubborness to admit his liking it, because, for guys, it touched, as I said, a primitive, raw nerve.

I didn't know that Tony, that's very interesting. Do you remember where/when he talked about that song?

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #1128 on: Dec 08, 2008, 02:36 PM »
  Hi, Keren - am sort of in deep trouble with some Brokie friends, because I had accumulated a ton of notes, over months, in case one of the forums would ever go to a memorial biography, and, for reasons of fatigue, and maybe heartbreak, I threw them out just last week.  And wouldn't you know it, now one of the forums wants to do just that, and here I've lost all the links and references.  So, no, I can't give you a link.
  But as for that song, it may have been one of those played at the memorial service in Perth. Andrew had asked me for the list, so he still might have it.  I do know, it kept recurring, in interviews with friends and in articles.  And there was another "un-hip" song he favored, more cheerful, and that might have been "Here comes the sun", but am not sure.  Both stood out as different from his more modern tastes.
  "Old man", however, is REALLY sentimental, bittersweet, melancholy, and I know it's a guy thing, but it touches so deeply on the loneliness a man can have, guys either ran from it or waited until they were drunk enough to play it on the juke box.  Artistically, it's maudlin.  But in some primitive way, it speaks to something men can hurt over very deeply- no one being there for them.  It would have been the song Ennis would NOT have wanted to hear, in the diner.  Sorry, that's the best I can do.  But I believe it to be a major clue as to how Heath sometimes saw life, when disappointed.  Sometimes. He also liked that moronic happy/happy song, too.  Heath had his ways, didn't he?
 P.S. This should probably have been on the other thread, but you are a moderator, so I guess you cut some slack.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2008, 02:44 PM by Tony »

Offline keren_b

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #1129 on: Dec 08, 2008, 03:06 PM »
Thanks for the info Tony. If you ever come across that link again... well, you know where to post it. :)

And yes, he loved Here Comes The Sun... his family used that song for a tribute they screened at his memorial.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1130 on: Dec 08, 2008, 05:10 PM »
I might still have your message some where Tony. It must have been earlier this year, around the time of the memorial. I will have to dig it up.  I ain't all that organized.  ::)

If you ever recall any material that you threw out, please feel free to send them my way. I am an info pack rat. It's unpacking it and recalling it that gets me.

Here is the link to Neil Young's Old Man:

And Here Comes the Sun:

:ghug: :c) ^f^

Heath, you are loved, like this, always.

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #1131 on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:18 PM »
   I retract my saying "Old Man" was maudlin.  Heath had an ear for a good song.  Beautiful, Andrew.  Thank-you.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1132 on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:34 PM »
   I retract my saying "Old Man" was maudlin.  Heath had an ear for a good song.  Beautiful, Andrew.  Thank-you.

You are  #$# always.  :c) ^f^

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #1133 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:48 PM »
Tony, that is such an interesting premise for the old man tattoo.  It certainly would make sense. 

I think the Neil Young song "Old Man" is beautiful and a haunting, rather than maudlin.  Heath was undoubtedly an old soul and I can see why he might have felt a connection to such a song.

As for the list of songs played at his memorial service, here's the program that lists them.  Without fail, I begin to cry whenever I see this picture of this sad piece of paper.  To look at it is an assault on the heart.

« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2008, 10:49 PM by chameau »

Offline LauraLovesLedger

• Ennis
  • Got me good
« Reply #1134 on: Dec 08, 2008, 10:56 PM »
Gosh, just imagining seeing the montages to "Here Comes The Sun", "Happy Ever After", "1979", and "Old Man" is enough to bring on the waterworks.

"These Days", "Here Comes The Sun", "Come Together", "Times Are A-changin'" and "1979" are some of my own all time favourite songs.  In addition to his everything else, I have always adored Heath's musical tastes.  They were as vast and soulful as he was.

:\'(

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1135 on: Dec 08, 2008, 11:37 PM »
Laura  :ghug: Thank you so much. I have never seen the Order of Service. I remember hunting for Ben Harper's Happy Ever After. I don't know most of the songs, except the Beattles and Neil Young.  ::) I am not very musically literate.

I remember seeing some of the fan montages to the songs, and you are right, they definitely start the water works.  :\'( I am tapped out at the moment, because I just finished watching Latter Days, and cried my eyes out in the last few scenes.

Thanks for sharing the precious image. I will treasure it, and put it in a special location where I can easily find it.
 :ghug: :c) ^f^

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1136 on: Dec 09, 2008, 02:07 AM »
Three articles:

Heath Ledger wins top Aussie film award for 'The Dark Knight'
(old news from a different source, with video)
http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2008/12/heath-ledger-wi.html

Heath Ledger scores first big win of Oscar season
(Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association awarded Heath Best Supporting Actor for Joker)
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/showbiz/2008-12/09/content_7285775.htm

Surge of money for Heath Ledger Oscar
(Online betting has money on Heath winning at about two to one odds)
- not sure if this is appropriate, so moderators, please delete if necessary -
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=688346

Offline jackster

• Ennis
  • dumbass missin'
« Reply #1137 on: Dec 09, 2008, 07:47 AM »
. . . . And Here Comes the Sun:

thanks for this Andrew
Hadn't listened to this old favorite in a long, long while.
Hit me right away, = the song is addressed to "Lil darlin", oh god . . . too much . . .

Wonder if anyone ever did a BBM video using this, could be a heartbreaker . . .
we get to drinkin' and talkin' an all

Offline Tony

• Jack
« Reply #1138 on: Dec 09, 2008, 01:04 PM »
    Dear Laura - that was wonderful, your post of the Order of Service at Heath's memorial.  I wonder who chose the sequence of the songs. Leaving "Old Man" to next to last, might have been meant to bring it all to a close, in a quiet, bittersweet way, then to be followed by "Come Together", to signal renewal.  That post meant a lot to so many of us.  Thank-you.
    Jackster - you'd be about the only one who would pick up on the phrase "Lil Darling", and see, immediately, there might be more there. Or just one of those beautiful coincidences in life.  This forum is rich with thoughtful people.  I never stop being amazed.  Thanks, to you, too.

Offline lancecowboy

• Jack + Ennis
  • free to be, Always
« Reply #1139 on: Dec 09, 2008, 01:23 PM »
 :ghug: everyone  :ghug: