I love all these comments about what Ennis was going through, especially considering the times, with his wife working and his not doing well to support the family -- which was what men were supposed to do then and that's that; and also his ultra-sensitivity about any hints against his "masculinity." Also the scene when they're about to have sex when Alma says that she'd have his kids if he'd support them. He must feel completely and totally a f**k up...while watching her gain some independence...and yet he can't help it -- he must configure his life to be able to be with Jack.
My point being, this was always the only scene where I dislike Ennis. I mean, throughout the whole movie as far as his marriage, the way he treated Alma, I was still always on his side, so to speak, except for the one comment in this scene, which would raise my hackles every time: "We ain't eating unless you put it on the table." My god, she made the dinner before going out to make them money. You put it on the table, Mr. Chauvinist Pig!
But hackles notwithstanding, that didn't make me feel any less for Ennis's whole situation, but still, I hate that line. However, now, after reading this page, I can get off my soapbox and really consider the whole slew of messed-up emotions he was fighting.
kathy