Author Topic: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*  (Read 460481 times)

Offline Rønnaug

  • Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 7546
  • Gender: Female
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
Re: The significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #120 on: Feb 05, 2006, 02:56 PM »
Yes, that scene where he was somewhat hesitant by the fire and then taking glances to the tent where Jack was laying in, was so sweet.  I believe that he realized that he couldn't deny his deep feelings for Jack anymore at that point, so he essentially, went it there, feeling somewhat vulnerable, taking his hat off and putting it by his chest as a sign of "submission" to the feelings that he had for Jack.  *sniff*

Thanks, dirtbiker. Submission is a good word. It is such a rarity for Ennis. *sniff* too. I think this is the only one time when Ennis was taking the *lead* in the relationship.

I think he was very much taking the lead in the reunion kiss don't you  ;)

Sorry to quote and answer a post this far after  so many others have but I just started reading this forum today
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline Italian_Dude

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3713
  • Gender: Male
  • Love is Never Wrong
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #121 on: Feb 05, 2006, 04:49 PM »
From the screenplay...Two "its allrights" from Jack....no other words....mercy...

Thats what i heard... I wonder why some people here the 'I'm Sorry' from Ennis

I stand to what I posted before, be carefull friends It's all whispers, and the (beautifull  :'() music plays too:

1st:

Ennis:  "I'm sorry"

2nd:

Jack:  "it's alright, it's alright"



EXACTLY WHAT I HEARD!!
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline Italian_Dude

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 3713
  • Gender: Male
  • Love is Never Wrong
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #122 on: Feb 05, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Just because "I'm sorry"
wasn't on the story or script doesn't mean it couldn't be in the movie!

I heard what chameau did.
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be all right
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is everything's gonna be all right..

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

  • BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 26918
  • Gender: Male
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #123 on: Feb 05, 2006, 05:22 PM »
I didn't hear "I'm sorry."  Something else new to look for when take my 19th trip soon!
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline CherryCake

  • Jack
  • *****
  • Posts: 718
  • Gender: Male
  • You want a piece of me? YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME??!!
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #124 on: Feb 05, 2006, 05:31 PM »
I wend for my 3rd viewing today and I realized my previous reply was wrong...


Ennis left the camp, in the morning whit just THAT look on his face after Jack told him "see ya tonite for supper"

e
autifull scene!  :-\


Oh, That's RIGHT ! That look!  Great scene!!
"Want some coffee, don't you? Piece a cherry cake?"




Hit me up on Yahoo: PieceOfCherryCake

Offline camom

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 221
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #125 on: Feb 06, 2006, 01:20 AM »
Fifth viewing today.  I heard "I'm sorry" once and "It's all right" twice, but if Ennis said "I'm sorry," he wasn't moving his lips at all.  He must have said it, though, because why would Jack apologize and then forgive himself for it?  I'll have to pay even more attention when I go back to see it on Wednesday...and Sunday, because my husband wants to see it again and I might as well tag along, right?   ;D

Offline christie wood

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 15455
  • Country: 00
  • Gender: Female
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #126 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:22 AM »
Had my second viewing Saturday night, listening out for Ennis saying "I'm sorry".  I don't think he does say it, but if you listen really carefully, when Jack says "it's alright" it could actually be mistaken for it being Ennis saying I'm sorry!  It really does sound like that!  And I think the reason Jack says "it's alright" to Ennis is because Ennis is so nervous, and vulnerable and wants Jack to take the lead in this situation, so Jack is reassuring him, touching his arm, his face, taking the hat away, letting Ennis know that he's happy to take the lead because he knows how nervous Ennis is.  Such a beautiful, gorgeous scene.  I love the nervous, vulnerable Ennis, but I also like it when he takes the lead.....the first tent scene, and, more importantly, the reunion scene.  Then you really know how Ennis feels about Jack! 

"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline Rønnaug

  • Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 7546
  • Gender: Female
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #127 on: Feb 06, 2006, 03:43 AM »
In a screenplay dated feb. 1st. 2003 there is no second tent sceene at all. It is merly stated, before Agurre sees them through his binoculars, that they had just finished the activity they had done for so many days now.

Between the first scene and Aguirre there is no more describng of inside the tent. And also in the first scene after Jack puts Ennis hand down to his groin Ennis seems to be taking the initiative

"As the followng action occurs , we pull away to the night landscape, and we only hear the sounds, the belt being unbuckled, rustle of jeans, Ennis spitting, sharp inntakes of breath....

Ennis raises up, gets to his knees, unbucles his belt, shoves his pants down with one hand, uses th eother to haul Jack up on all fours.

Jack doesn't resist.

Ennis spists in the palm of his hand, puts it on himself.

They go at it in silence except for a few sharp intakes of breath.

Ennis shudders.

The out, down, and the camera moves back inside the tent, as both fall asleep."

Weren't going to show much were they  ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2006, 03:50 AM by Esmereldet »
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline cybernaut

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 205
  • Gender: Male
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #128 on: Feb 06, 2006, 10:05 AM »
From the screenplay...Two "its allrights" from Jack....no other words....mercy...

Thats what i heard... I wonder why some people here the 'I'm Sorry' from Ennis

I stand to what I posted before, be carefull friends It's all whispers, and the (beautifull  :'() music plays too:

1st:

Ennis:  "I'm sorry"

2nd:

Jack:  "it's alright, it's alright"



EXACTLY WHAT I HEARD!!

I heard Ennis say, "I'm sorry" twice before Jack assures him with that nod, "Its alright".
I don't think guys say, "Its alright" in ascending volume... Usually smoothing descending whispers

If you look closely, there is a "string of Jack's saliva linking lip to lip"...  ;D

Such nice close-ups. Love it.  :)
I'm saying a prayer of thanks... that you didn't bring your harmonica!

Offline chameau

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 28148
  • Gender: Male
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #129 on: Feb 06, 2006, 06:40 PM »
From the screenplay...Two "its allrights" from Jack....no other words....mercy...

Thats what i heard... I wonder why some people here the 'I'm Sorry' from Ennis

I stand to what I posted before, be carefull friends It's all whispers, and the (beautifull  :'() music plays too:

1st:

Ennis:  "I'm sorry"

2nd:

Jack:  "it's alright, it's alright"



EXACTLY WHAT I HEARD!!

I heard Ennis say, "I'm sorry" twice before Jack assures him with that nod, "Its alright".
I don't think guys say, "Its alright" in ascending volume... Usually smoothing descending whispers

If you look closely, there is a "string of Jack's saliva linking lip to lip"...  ;D

Such nice close-ups. Love it.  :)

I'm going tomorrow, will listen and look also for the "string" too
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Rønnaug

  • Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 7546
  • Gender: Female
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #130 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:03 PM »
Yes the string of spit, no fake acting with dry lips here  :P

Love that scene, but hey...love all the scenes  8)
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline camom

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 221
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #131 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:21 PM »
No, there's definitely "I'm sorry" and "it's all right, it's all right".  3 separate statements.  I heard something the first 4 times, but I didn't really catch it until the 5th viewing, and I was really concentrating for it.

Offline chameau

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 28148
  • Gender: Male
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #132 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:31 PM »
Looks like we have some consensus now.

Hello Camom, welcome back!  :-*
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline cybernaut

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 205
  • Gender: Male
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #133 on: Feb 06, 2006, 08:54 PM »
camom: For me it has to be logical.

I see "Its alright" by Jack as an assurance to "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." as Ennis is seeking comfort.
If its "I'm sorry", "Its alright, its alright"... doesn't sound quite right. What's was the second "alright" for? Makes Jack sound inconfident. Besides its Ennis who is vulnerable and is more likely to say, "I'm sorry" twice.

Oh as for the "string", you need to be in the center row to see it.  ;D
It may look "disgusting" when we describe it but the resistance and finally slow kiss makes it really really magical. :)
I'm saying a prayer of thanks... that you didn't bring your harmonica!

Offline CherryCake

  • Jack
  • *****
  • Posts: 718
  • Gender: Male
  • You want a piece of me? YOU WANT A PIECE OF ME??!!
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #134 on: Feb 06, 2006, 09:07 PM »
Didn't hear any I'm sorry.  There was no clear reason for Ennis to be sorry. He didn't DO or say anything for him to be sorry for did he? Did I miss something? on the other hand, Jack saying, what I heard,  s'right , s'right  , s'right  (which I should point out, can sound like sorry)  i'm sorry and it's alright,  whispered and soothingly can sound similiar.
for Jack to say s'right several times works cuz he is clearly in charge, as we agreed Ennis is submitting here,  so Jack is reassuring him that being together is alight. No need to fear.  We see further that Jack in fact takes the lead and has Ennis lay back.  Clearly Ennis feels it's s'right.
"Want some coffee, don't you? Piece a cherry cake?"




Hit me up on Yahoo: PieceOfCherryCake

Offline cybernaut

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 205
  • Gender: Male
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #135 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:12 PM »
CherryCake: I had trouble understanding what Ennis was so sorry about. This is my guess but I think he was sorry for resisting Jack, that was the first sorry and the second sorry was about getting Jack to open his heart to him.... Aww.... :)
I'm saying a prayer of thanks... that you didn't bring your harmonica!

Offline camom

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 221
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #136 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:20 PM »
Well, I'm going again on Wednesday, so I'll have to listen really hard for all that, AND looking for the spit string (lol).  I'll make sure to sit right smack in the middle.

BTW, I live in a small town and we only have one little movie complex.  It has one large screen theater and all the other screens are smaller.  The first two times I saw BBM, it was in the big theater.  Second two times, it was moved to one of the smaller theaters.  This last time, it was back in the big theater again.  I think that's pretty cool.

camom

Offline cybernaut

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 205
  • Gender: Male
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #137 on: Feb 06, 2006, 11:40 PM »
Well, I'm going again on Wednesday, so I'll have to listen really hard for all that, AND looking for the spit string (lol).  I'll make sure to sit right smack in the middle.
camom
:D

The I'm Sorry and Its Alright is very very soft. You will hear Jack saying Its Alright once because his lips are moving and a gentle nod with a hand assurance. You may want to scream to the projectionist... "Hey buddy, can you crank that up.... "  ;D
Brokeback is not showing in my town unfortunately. Blah.  :(
I'm saying a prayer of thanks... that you didn't bring your harmonica!

Offline Rønnaug

  • Mod-ChickY brigade
  • Mod Squad
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 7546
  • Gender: Female
  • Eat the banana custard, or die!
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #138 on: Feb 07, 2006, 03:58 AM »
Didn't hear any I'm sorry.  There was no clear reason for Ennis to be sorry. He didn't DO or say anything for him to be sorry for did he? Did I miss something? on the other hand, Jack saying, what I heard,  s'right , s'right  , s'right  (which I should point out, can sound like sorry)  i'm sorry and it's alright,  whispered and soothingly can sound similiar.
for Jack to say s'right several times works cuz he is clearly in charge, as we agreed Ennis is submitting here,  so Jack is reassuring him that being together is alight. No need to fear.  We see further that Jack in fact takes the lead and has Ennis lay back.  Clearly Ennis feels it's s'right.


IF Ennis says I'm sorry I would think it is because he up and left after the first tent scene, without saying anything... But I am sorry...I turned the wolume WAY up looked at nohing but Ennis' lips and he aint' saying anything.... he comes into the tent, heads together, Jack taking Ennis head in his, they kiss, then no movement in Ennis' lips until they lie down other than he opens them slightly and then closing them again...
No matter how much jell-O you pour in the pool , you still can't walk on water

Offline christie wood

  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 15455
  • Country: 00
  • Gender: Female
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #139 on: Feb 08, 2006, 10:05 AM »
OK, I think it's agreed that Ennis DOES say "I'm sorry", and even though I didn't hear it, am glad that everyone else thinks he did, cos it really does make that scene more special, as if it wasn't special enough.

Another point on this scene.  When Jack sits up and puts his hand on Ennis's arm, does Ennis lean in to kiss Jack?  It's just that when the camera shot moves and you see Jack moving into kiss Ennis, so it's like Ennis didn't lean in after all?  Am I imagining this, or did anyone else see Ennis lean in?
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger

Offline camom

  • Alma
  • ****
  • Posts: 221
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #140 on: Feb 08, 2006, 10:09 AM »
OK, I think it's agreed that Ennis DOES say "I'm sorry", and even though I didn't hear it, am glad that everyone else thinks he did, cos it really does make that scene more special, as if it wasn't special enough.

Another point on this scene.  When Jack sits up and puts his hand on Ennis's arm, does Ennis lean in to kiss Jack?  It's just that when the camera shot moves and you see Jack moving into kiss Ennis, so it's like Ennis didn't lean in after all?  Am I imagining this, or did anyone else see Ennis lean in?

Well, I'm going to see it again this afternoon, so I'll try to pay attention and report back.  Really, I need to take notes, which I'm sure would be very annoying to anyone else in the theater!   ;)

camom

Offline stickler

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 42
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #141 on: Feb 09, 2006, 03:24 PM »
I listened for it ... Ennis does say I'm sorry ... it makes the scene even more touching as he seems to be opening up a bit ...

I figure that he's apologising for being 'off' with Jack ... pretending it dont mean nothing and then coming back for more ...

Offline chameau

  • Moderator
  • Jack + Ennis
  • ***
  • Posts: 28148
  • Gender: Male
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #142 on: Feb 09, 2006, 03:50 PM »
I listened for it ... Ennis does say I'm sorry ... it makes the scene even more touching as he seems to be opening up a bit ...

I figure that he's apologising for being 'off' with Jack ... pretending it dont mean nothing and then coming back for more ...

 :'( This what makes that scene so moving, just listening to the music cracks me up then, Ennis whispers... then  :'( :'( :'(
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline karind1

  • Jack
  • *****
  • Posts: 523
  • Gender: Female
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #143 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:38 PM »
anyone ever think he says "i'm sorry" because of spit string??  hmmm

Offline bnjmn3

  • Jack
  • *****
  • Posts: 555
  • Gender: Male
  • BBM: The Best Picture Show
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #144 on: Feb 10, 2006, 10:48 PM »
The next time you watch, notice that when the first words said (and subsequent) are from Jack. Ennis is actually swallowing during the first "its allright." Why would Ennis apologize when he is admitting he does love Jack, want to be with him, and that this is not a one time thing. He only apologizes at the end of the movie to Cassie. Sorry, maybe there are different versions of this film..the on in NC is three allrights from Jack.
We can't change it. We will have to stand it.

Offline jason

  • Lureen
  • ***
  • Posts: 192
  • Gender: Male
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #145 on: Feb 10, 2006, 11:54 PM »
The next time you watch, notice that when the first words said (and subsequent) are from Jack. Ennis is actually swallowing during the first "its allright." Why would Ennis apologize when he is admitting he does love Jack, want to be with him, and that this is not a one time thing. He only apologizes at the end of the movie to Cassie. Sorry, maybe there are different versions of this film..the on in NC is three allrights from Jack.

Following this thread I'm really starting to feel that there are three versions of the movie at least, the short 1.5 hour version someone reported, and the Sorry versus no Sorry versions.

Or am I going crazy (non PBS crazy that is)?
Let be, let be

Offline jason

  • Lureen
  • ***
  • Posts: 192
  • Gender: Male
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #146 on: Feb 10, 2006, 11:56 PM »
anyone ever think he says "i'm sorry" because of spit string??  hmmm

Will some one who has been really reading this thread pls help me list the reasons offered so far fo teh I'm sorry? 
1.  Spit string
2.  apology for possibly hurting Jack on the previous nite
3.  apology for being too tentative and incompetent and awkward
4.  ??
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2006, 11:59 PM by jason »
Let be, let be

Offline jrfh50

  • Alma Jr.
  • **
  • Posts: 23
  • Gender: Male
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #147 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:13 AM »
I don't think Ennis says I'm sorry. I've seen it ten times, and looked last time carefully at this scene...it's tricky to watch the faces and mouths and listen at the same time. I agree with whoever said 'sallright sounds like 'I'm sorry.'  I think Jack says 'sallright three times...I hear the same intonation and volume level for each bit of speech.

It seems like if you can think up a reason why Ennis might say I'm sorry, then that proves he said it. That makes no sense to me. He's certainly sheepish coming into the tent, certainly looks like he needs holding, and also wants to be close and feels awkward. If he'd clearly said "I'm sorry" I'm sure Heath as an actor could have made it work for whatever reason he wanted to play--he's that good. I just don't think it's in the movie, it's not in the texts, and it's not something a consensus proves.

Having said that, if your heart as a person with PBS throbs all the more at "hearing" Ennis say "I'm sorry" then, for you, to help your heart to throb, he said it. Fine with me. My heart throbs plenty with what I hear him say through body language: I need you, I'm vulnerable, I'm yours.
living with complicated emotions

Offline City Slickin' Cowboy

  • BBM Addict for Life.
  • Jack + Ennis
  • *
  • Posts: 26918
  • Gender: Male
  • It's A BBM Love Affair
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #148 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:28 AM »
... My heart throbs plenty with what I hear him say through body language: I need you, I'm vulnerable, I'm yours.

Oh well said. It's gonna be a long time before we ever see a scene this ROMANTIC on the screen. I just melt every time I see it!! :-*
A reminder Brokies...there is no known cure for PBS.  It's merely managed.

Offline frenchcda

  • Laments of the hearts
  • Ennis
  • ******
  • Posts: 1020
  • Gender: Male
Re: Significane of Ennis entering the Tent *Spoiler*
« Reply #149 on: Feb 11, 2006, 04:23 AM »
Note: the tent scene is in relation to the dicussion Ennis and Jack had at the motel and goes like this:
" that summer," said Ennis. " When we split up after we got paid out I had guts cramps so bad I pulled over and tried to puke, thought I ate somethin bad at that place in Dubois. Took me about a year to figure out it was that I shouldn't let you out of my sights. Too late then by a long, long while.

another moment just before Ennis does the following:  Ennis pulled Jack's hand to his mouth, took a hit form his cigarette, exhalled. " sure as hell seem in one piece to me. You know, I was sittin up here all that time tryin to figure out if I was...? I know I ain't. I mean here we both got wives and kids, right? I like doin it it with women, yeh, but Jesus H, ain't nothing like this.
I never had no thoughts a doin it with another guy except I sure wrang out a hundred times thinkin about you. you do it with others guy's? Jack?"

I would highly recommend anyone to read the short story it reveals how truly and deeply Ennis loved Jack more than life itself, and knew well enough that by having let Jack out of sight cost him his future, so he abide by the consequences.

Note: After reading the short story I conclude that when Ennis said this is a one shot thing, however he soon realised that it would last a lifetime, as he would never let Jack out of armsway again.
       what is a belief if not a lack of knowing


              My wounds are deeper than your desires

                      www.wordsofpeace.com