Author Topic: BBM Collectors Edition:*To Be Released Jan 23rd 2007*  (Read 174609 times)

Offline ksxks

• Jack + Ennis
  • brokeback got us good
Re: BBM Collectors Edition:*To Be Released Jan 23rd 2007*
« Reply #570 on: May 11, 2007, 11:03 PM »
Yet another DVD version, though with "nothing new" apparently.  This article talks about the new DVD on page 2.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/787/787270p1.html

Brokeback Mountain (HD DVD/DVD Combo)
Forbidden love looks even better in HD
by IGN Staff
May 10, 2007

[first part is a (very good) review]

The Video

The disc is a two-sided combo format, featuring a 1.85:1 widescreen picture in 1080p on one side and a standard-definition version on the other, also presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. This version does a fine job of conveying the beautiful scenery of the mountains and landscapes captured by Lee's lingering camera and the excellent cinematography. The colors are suitably muted and soft, but the picture is anything but. Sharp details are consistent, even in the distance. There's some light grain, especially in the nighttime scenes, but it's not bothersome enough to get in the way.

The Audio

The Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround soundtrack is available in English and French. For some reason, there are more audio options available on the standard-definition side of the disc, which features an additional DTS 5.1 track and a Spanish-language one in 2.0. The sound is consistently modulated and the mix is uncrowded. The dialogue comes cleanly through the front channels, while ambient sound effects are filtered through the remainder of the system. Santaolalla's sweet, lyrical score plays a big part in the tone of the film and is almost inseparable from the collective impression of it. Appropriately, every swell and bend comes through with intensity and fidelity.

Extras and Packaging

This double-sided combo disc comes in the standard red case with one of those flimsy latching mechanisms. Included inside is Universal's standard paper insert. There have already been two editions of the film on DVD, and this one incorporates the combined bonus features of both of them, though nothing new has been added. The full list of extras includes:

Featurette: "Music From the Mountain"
Featurette: "A Groundbreaking Success"
Gallery: Impressions From the Film"
Featurette: "On Being a Cowboy"
Featurette: "Directing From the Heart: Ang Lee"
Featurette: "From Script to Screen: Interviews with Diana Ossana & Larry McMurtry"
Featurette: "Sharing the Story: The Making of Brokeback Mountain"

The features on this DVD practically scream "future Double Dip:" not one of them runs more than ten minutes, and they offer facile insights at best about the making of the movie. Such has been the case of late with Focus, whose last Special Edition DVD was the anemic Big Lebowski disc from last year, and whose interim efforts - including Pride and Prejudice and Broken Flowers - were equally light on substantial extra material (though the latter of these did indeed feature one of the best five-minute featurettes I've ever watched).

"Being a Cowboy" is one of those now-boilerplate "boot camp" docs (a term I'm growing sick of), but it does at least highlight the character development that went into each actor or actress' training for the film (Gyllenhaal, for example, used his novice status as part of his character). The "Directing From the Heart" featurette, meanwhile, is a love fest for director Lee - deserving though his collaborator's affection may be - that repeats some of the material used in other featurettes (including a description of the obtuse direction Gyllenhall received during one scene) and basically reminds us after some ten movies that the Taiwanese director is, yes, a great filmmaker.

The interview material with McMurtry and Ossana further highlights the challenge the filmmakers faced adapting the short story into a full-length feature, but hardly offers any major production insights, especially if you've seen, well, any other "making of" doc in recent months. But its focus on the two screenwriters gives it an edge over the "Sharing the Story" doc, which again repeats some material, observations and insights, but really doesn't provide anything to folks for whom Brokeback is not only a great film, but a manifesto, an epochal movie moment, or a long-overdue coming-out celebration.

Even with all these treats, the lack of a commentary track is still a glaring omission. There has been a lot of innovation in the HD realm in terms of picture-in-picture video interviews and behind-the-scenes experiences for films not half as good as this one. It would seem logical that a multiple Oscar winner would merit similar treatment.

As far as new features go, they're limited to Universal's standard interactive HD interface, which can be accessed while the film is playing, and the "My Scenes" option, which allows the user to build a collection of favorite scenes to return to at any time.

The Bottom Line

One of these days, consumers are going to become conditioned to hold off on their DVD purchases until the "definitive definitive" version comes out. Maybe this third time is the charm for Brokeback Mountain, maybe it's not. But for those who don't know how to quit this film, it's a pretty nice release.

(Special edition DVD review by Todd Gilchrist; HD review by Cindy White)

They were respectful of each other's opinions, each glad to have a companion where none had been expected.

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #571 on: May 12, 2007, 12:23 PM »
Thanks kathy,

I bet the cast and crew don't get a penny from this  :s)
La dictature c'est ''ferme ta geule'', la démocratie c'est ''cause toujours''
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Ms. Delmar

• Cassie
Questions about the DVD
« Reply #572 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:47 PM »
I sadly don't have the special edition of BBM, but I want to know what all is on it. Does it have deleted scenes? Or even extended scenes. I would LOVE to see them. I have seen pictures online, but not in the movie, and I wonder if they are part of the new edition... Like this one:

And this one:

Can anyone please let me know if these are extra scenes! Thanks! I can't wait to get the special edition DVD...

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
Re: Questions about the DVD
« Reply #573 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:09 PM »
No deleted scenes, sorry :(

I'm merging your thread with the one we have already, it's a long story of hopes and disapointments.
« Last Edit: Jan 28, 2008, 11:20 PM by chameau »
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Edmund-Paul, The Baron of Ree

• Ennis
Re: Questions about the DVD
« Reply #574 on: Jan 29, 2008, 07:10 AM »
I still think they will be released at some time in the future.

No deleted scenes, sorry :(

I'm merging your thread with the one we have already, it's a long story of hopes and disapointments.
Learn from Brokeback Mountain. Make the most of your life & love from now on.
Because if you can fix it - you don't have to stand it.

Offline cowgirlKt!

• Alma
  • brokeback dreaming....
« Reply #575 on: Feb 17, 2008, 01:07 PM »
i just got the collectors edition of BBM and watched it saturday night, i havent checked out all the extras yet though, loved the postcards that came with it! :)

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #576 on: Feb 17, 2008, 02:21 PM »
I still haven't opened mine yet- I don't know if I ever will- well if I buy another copy I will but I'll keep this one sealed until then. Don't know why- just a me thing I guess.  :)
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline dirtbiker

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #577 on: Feb 17, 2008, 02:24 PM »
I know it's an awful thought, but I wonder if the studios will take advantage of Heath's death to triple-dip and produce another "collector's edition".  If they do, they had better include some deleted scenes, etc!  ::)

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
« Reply #578 on: Feb 17, 2008, 10:19 PM »

I just came upon this thread and I'm a little confused
I have the "4 Star Collection" of BBM
Is it the same as the Collectors Edition?  ???
If not, can someone tell me where I would be about to purchase this edition??
"The day I stop having fun, I'll just walk away." -- Heath Ledger

"For a moment in our lives, forever in our hearts." -- Heath Ledger, 1/22/08

"In the dark, I really felt like I could escape to anywhere.
To a place where anything could happen at any time.
Where chaos could reign but the world would never end."
-- Noah Mayer

As the World Turns -- April 2, 1956 - September 17, 2010

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #579 on: Feb 17, 2008, 11:14 PM »
There is a "collectors edition" which is not much more than the regular version. It comes with post cards and I think a few extras- it comes in a blue box (mine did). I just saw them for sale at Barnes and Noble- they had a display for all oscar winning movies. I was tempted to buy another one- just because. But from what I understand you're not really missing out on not having it.
“What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

You may say I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one ~ Imagine- J. Lennon

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
« Reply #580 on: Feb 17, 2008, 11:25 PM »

Extras? I'm guessing no deleted or extended senses [like most of us would love  ;D]
Though I'm wondering, are the postcards like the one's Jack and Ennis sent to each other?  :s)
Sorry I'm asking so many questions LJN!!

-- Noah Mayer

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #581 on: Feb 17, 2008, 11:38 PM »
Nope- no deleted/extended scenes. I think there are pics of the postcards in this thread in the earlier pages. As I said, I haven't opened mine- it's still in the plastic so I've never looked at them, but I think there is one that is like the one Jack sent to Ennis for the reunion, if memory serves.

Offline LuvJackNasty

• Mod-ChickY Brigade
  • Jack + Ennis
« Reply #582 on: Feb 17, 2008, 11:42 PM »
Okay LD- pics of the postcards are on pg 15 of this thread. I guess I was wrong about the reunion one. I must be thinking of something else- oh well but the pics are on that page  :)

Offline Lis

• BBM Addict for Life
  • Jack + Ennis
  • Heath, we swear...
« Reply #583 on: Feb 18, 2008, 04:47 PM »
Okay LD- pics of the postcards are on pg 15 of this thread. I guess I was wrong about the reunion one. I must be thinking of something else- oh well but the pics are on that page  :)

Thank you LJN!!! I got $25 from working for my dance instructor last week and I think I know what I'm gunna use it on  ;D
Thanx again for all the info  :ghug:

-- Noah Mayer

Offline Bob

• Alma Jr.
Deleted Scenes
« Reply #584 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:34 AM »
Hi, on another group one member posted a "deleted scene" which appears to be Ennis at a graveyard - when asked the member said that she had gotten some deleted scenes on this site and another - can you please help me in finding them by providing the link.  Thanks.  bob

Offline Matt Nasty

• formerly zankou1991
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I LOVE JAKE
Re: Deleted Scenes
« Reply #585 on: Mar 15, 2008, 03:23 PM »
Hi, on another group one member posted a "deleted scene" which appears to be Ennis at a graveyard - when asked the member said that she had gotten some deleted scenes on this site and another - can you please help me in finding them by providing the link.  Thanks.  bob
i ahve never been able to find any deleted scenes so i second bob's request :) i was begining to think they were not able to be found.

babytammy7

Re: Deleted Scenes
« Reply #586 on: Mar 15, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Hi Bob!!!

I hope I can help you. This is the link of an awesome site with not only all the deleted scenes but with many surprises.....well, just look at it, it's amazing!!

If you can't find a scene just tell me; I have all of them and other between takes.

^f^

http://findingbrokeback.com/Deleted_Scenes/_Deleted_Scenes_Frame.html

Offline chameau

• Jack + Ennis
  • Miss ya little darlin'
« Reply #587 on: Mar 15, 2008, 10:47 PM »
The deleted scenes were already discussed here, if you don't mind I merged your thread to this one... this is a long story, read it all but I warn you, for now it's a disappointing story.
 Jean-Louis Barrault

Offline Bob

• Alma Jr.
« Reply #588 on: Mar 15, 2008, 11:17 PM »
Thanks Baby Tammy.  bob

Offline Matt Nasty

• formerly zankou1991
  • Jack + Ennis
  • I LOVE JAKE
« Reply #589 on: Mar 16, 2008, 06:08 AM »
The deleted scenes were already discussed here, if you don't mind I merged your thread to this one... this is a long story, read it all but I warn you, for now it's a disappointing story.

basically it is disapointing because the collecters edition had no deleted scenes right?
at the moment im waiting before buying the dvd just incase they bring one out with the deleted scenes i mean they have to some day right i wouldnt like it never been able to see those extra minutes of ennis' and jack's life and also those extra hours of work heath put into them, im really hopeing they make another special addition of BBM with all the extras.

Offline christie wood

• Jack + Ennis
« Reply #590 on: Mar 16, 2008, 03:13 PM »

basically it is disapointing because the collecters edition had no deleted scenes right?
at the moment im waiting before buying the dvd just incase they bring one out with the deleted scenes i mean they have to some day right i wouldnt like it never been able to see those extra minutes of ennis' and jack's life and also those extra hours of work heath put into them, im really hopeing they make another special addition of BBM with all the extras.

Its what we are all hoping and wishing for.
"Look at my boots, old and dingy" - Heath Ledger